Timing belt Humbling

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt Humbling

Hi guys,

I used the Factory service manual and replaced timing belt, drive belt, water pump, pulleys. I set the crankshaft pulley mark (arrow -arrow as it says in manual);I set the front camshaft pulley to it's mark which is TDC for 1st cylinder. Same thing with rear camshaft pulley (which was spring loaded but I was able to set the marks). Long story short, we started the car today and the rpm indicator looks unstable. The car is ok to drive but when I went to gas station and started it it almost died (shaking and the rpm dropped). The car is making a humbling noise like the videos people have posted. please check the two videos, please please tell me what's going on. does the sensor has anything to do with this or did I just killed an engine?

/watch?v=y5jrllkKcdQ

I googled this thing but everyone is saying something different. They say that with bent valves the car is drivable but it drives like ****. I was able to speed up to 60-80 miles an out.

lastly when you push the on throttle, at load it makes a noise like tractor (rattling). Please HELP
Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I wonder when you popped the seal on the WP if the coolant spilling down damaged the crankshaft position sensor. Doesnt sound like the timing's off. But I dont know, i've never had that problem before.

Which pulleys did you replace specifically? the timing belt idler/tensioners or the drive belt tensioner, or both? Almost sounds like a dry bearing.

When you reinstalled the belt did you turn it 6 or so times to see if the marks lined up every time?

Last edited by ez12a; 09-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
When I did mine I ended up doing it twice.

The first time I thought I didn't need a shim, then had a similar humming noise.

I installed a shim kit and the problem was corrected.

Check the TSB for the timing belt shim:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-technical-service-bulletins-tsbs-3g-garage-j-016-a-613659/

It has a video in it with the audio for the 'warble' when the TB is rubbing.

Did you disconnect the CKP sensor when you did the TB job? If you did then you're supposed to do the CKP pattern re-learn, which requires HDS.

I just disconnected my battery during the entire job and did the idle re-learn afterwards and had no problems.

I also didn't disconnect the CKP sensor at all, but I'd think with having the battery disconnected that long it should reset everything, unless the PCM still stores some settings regardless of how long the battery is off.

You could try disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and then re-connecting it and doing the idle re-learn to see if it takes care of the car dying.

To do the idle re-learn without the HDS you just turn off the AC, radio, etc and leave the car idling for about 10 minutes without turning the steering wheel at all. You don't want to actuate the PS pump.

I think the hum is going to require a shim, did you use OEM parts or one of the amazon kits (essentially same thing I think).

I used OEM and ended up having to use a shim. The timing belt TSB covers all years, 04-08 for 3G TLs.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mzilvar
When I did mine I ended up doing it twice.

The first time I thought I didn't need a shim, then had a similar humming noise.

I installed a shim kit and the problem was corrected.

Check the TSB for the timing belt shim:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613659

It has a video in it with the audio for the 'warble' when the TB is rubbing.

Did you disconnect the CKP sensor when you did the TB job? If you did then you're supposed to do the CKP pattern re-learn, which requires HDS.

I just disconnected my battery during the entire job and did the idle re-learn afterwards and had no problems.

I also didn't disconnect the CKP sensor at all, but I'd think with having the battery disconnected that long it should reset everything, unless the PCM still stores some settings regardless of how long the battery is off.

You could try disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and then re-connecting it and doing the idle re-learn to see if it takes care of the car dying.

To do the idle re-learn without the HDS you just turn off the AC, radio, etc and leave the car idling for about 10 minutes without turning the steering wheel at all. You don't want to actuate the PS pump.

I think the hum is going to require a shim, did you use OEM parts or one of the amazon kits (essentially same thing I think).

I used OEM and ended up having to use a shim. The timing belt TSB covers all years, 04-08 for 3G TLs.
Do happen to know where I can find this timing belt shim. So far I have only been able to find it in a kit which I don't need
Old 11-29-2013, 05:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by jevans06
Do happen to know where I can find this timing belt shim. So far I have only been able to find it in a kit which I don't need
That's also the only place I could find it.

I've got an extra timing belt laying around as a result.

Also TSB doesn't cover 04, I had it wrong in my previous post it's 05-09 for TLs.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced

So does anybody know where I can find this shim for sale, without having to purchase the belt and unnecessary pulley gear that make this kit so expensive? If not, does anyone know where I can find the kit as cheap as possible?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Ok, so after being told by Honda and Acura dealerships that the shim only comes in this expensive kit with the timing belt gear pulley, shim, and timing belt. I went ahead and ordered the kit. I was also told by everyone that this shim does not have a part number. When I got home and opened the kit up to my surprise the shim does have a part number and can be purchased for about 15 dollars online. I think I'm screwed out of a refund as well because Honda had to special order this kit, and it says on the receipt, "no refunds on special orders". Anyway here's the part number for the shim. hope this helps someone from getting robbed by the dealership.
Part # 14559-RCA-305
The following users liked this post:
Ryan_W (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jevans06
Ok, so after being told by Honda and Acura dealerships that the shim only comes in this expensive kit with the timing belt gear pulley, shim, and timing belt. I went ahead and ordered the kit. I was also told by everyone that this shim does not have a part number. When I got home and opened the kit up to my surprise the shim does have a part number and can be purchased for about 15 dollars online. I think I'm screwed out of a refund as well because Honda had to special order this kit, and it says on the receipt, "no refunds on special orders". Anyway here's the part number for the shim. hope this helps someone from getting robbed by the dealership.
Part # 14559-RCA-305
Jevans06 - I opened up a profile on this site for the sole purpose of thanking you for this post. You have just saved me more than $120.00! I have also shared this information on:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166874

Once again, thank you very very much!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ryan_W
Jevans06 - I opened up a profile on this site for the sole purpose of thanking you for this post. You have just saved me more than $120.00! I have also shared this information on:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166874

Once again, thank you very very much!
Glad I could help.
Pass the word on.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
I wish he would stated if it fixed the noise or not. Im going thru the same issue.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
This "warbling" noise from the timing belt area has to do with aftermarket tensioner pulley and hydraulic tensioner. Check out the below post from a Honda Odyssey. The guy left the timing belt covers off to identify this.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...placement.html