Temperature reading is blanked

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temperature reading is blanked

It's just showing some dashes... anything I can do to reset it?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The outdoor temp reading? Yep! Just remove the negative battery cable for four seconds, then reconnect. That should solve your problem...maybe temporarily or permanently. Time will tell.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Or check the 3G Garage

F-088: Has anyone had the Outside Temp Display go flatline? Maximum temp: 115
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/recommended-power-tap-source-trunk-92288/
Old 05-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
The outdoor temp reading? Yep! Just remove the negative battery cable for four seconds, then reconnect. That should solve your problem...maybe temporarily or permanently. Time will tell.
Just do it soon. By reading some of the other posts it seems that there is a link between the flat line and a failing battery. (Some have speculated that the flat line indicates a processor loop which causes unusual battery drain).
Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
To remove fuses could works, too.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Car Addict

Perhaps I will try pulling fuse #7 then.

I'm not sure what happened. I did start and restart the car twice very quickly.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:40 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine did the same a few weeks ago. I refuse to do jack trying to fix a new car, that's why I bought a new car.

Took mine in (they had not seen that problem before), got an 05 TL non-navi loaner. They took the dash apart to replace the navi screen (?) then found it was on national backorder.

Called a week later and told me it was ready @ 4:30p. I picked it up @ 4:50p, turned the corner and attempted to turn on my now nonoperating XM. Of course all mechanics had gone home. It took them and hour the next AM to r&r the screen to connect something.

Yesterday while it was 100+ degrees it flatlined again but only for a minute. Bottomline, I don't think they have a fix for it yet as stated by an Acura mechanic that post here sometimes.

O/T

I was in Chicago for a few days including last weekend. As it turned out mostly from 57th to Lincoln ParK Zoo. I was really paying attention and saw a total of 2 G3 TL's. Whats up with that?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Car Addict

I see a lot of TLs around here. Very popular.

I'll try pulling the fuse at some point, but it won't lock the radio or anything right?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Temp flatlines then resets itself.

My temp display flatlined for the first time last week. We experienced the first really 90 + temps and the car had been baking in the sun. After driving about a minute it changed to 111, then gradually dropped back into the current outside temp of 95. Have not had any reoccurances, knock on wood, since.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

temp flatline/radio preset-reset

In response to Jack_TL's post

I dropped my car off yesterday early morning for this issue. The service guy at Ramsey Acura said this was the first time he'd heard about this problem (odd ). I called yesterday afternoon asking for an update and he said the tech was still working on the car so I guess they not just unplugging the battery or removing fuses to fix it but trying to figure out why it happened (either that or they milking Acura for the time and expense, hear, no proof, at least Audi dealers are famous for doing warranty repairs or maintainence for you they actual don't carry out and but they bill Audi).

Anyway this morning they said they were still working on it so I'll report back when I hear from them. I have told them if they need to order parts and it will take days I want the car back because the Enterprise Explorer they gave me sucks (no flames please), I can't believe that the Explorer I am driving lists for over 32 grand. Cheapo radio, driver seat not very adjustable I could not find a good fit. I'm 6'6'' and I fit better in the TL.

Brgds
Dumont

============

Another sad guy with (___ F) outside temp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I got the outside temeprature ___F (blank) problem yesterday (94F) and my radio and climate control presets reset and no more HFL Phone icon. I know that a lot of people faced the same problem and they solved this temporarily by re-seating fuse #7. Anybody got a permanant solution ?

Can u guys tell me where exactly the fuse puller is located ?

Jack
05 TL NBP/Ebony
6100 miles
Old 06-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Update 16:25 edt - The dealership says the tech is waiting for some codes (??) from Acura California to try troubleshoot this. They still maintain they have never encountered this before and from the time they are taking to diagnose it maybe it's true... I can only imagine most of the people who bought from them and had this problem never switch to the info screen to the temperature mode and if the radio pre-sets disappeared they simply re-entered them without complaining...

Curious, anyone out there that got their car from Ramsey Acura - NJ that had this problem and took it to them to fix?

Dumont
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

Hi Dumont,

thanks for the update ... but I think these dealers are not sure about these problems and they are just practicing with our valuable TLs. btw I called up my dealer, Davis Acura, philly and fixed up an appt next week, but not decided whether to go or not ...

The following answer makes sense ..

==========================

I know the fix!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im an acura tech and have experienced this problem quite a few times. Acura techline told us that they are working on a bulletin regarding this problem. For a temp fix they had us run a wire from the + to the - cable while unhooked from the battery. This resets all computer systems in the car. I bet those of you that are having the constant dashes across the temp display also have no rear defrost. On navi tl's there is a problem in the navi display and on the non navi's its a circuit in the guage cluster. '05's were supposed to have realtime traffic like the rl's but acura nixed that right before production. So for right now their is no definate fix and just has to be reset when it malfunctions. We are looking for the bulletin in the next 3 months or so.

David

Post #61
Old 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Hi Jack, I think I saw that post. I also noted that my rear defroster wasn't working. I don't get why "Acura Techline" didn't tell my dealership off the bat what is the temporary fix for the problem. You'd think they wouldn't need to keep the car for 2 days already plus paying for the rental of the POS Ford I have to drive stinkin of cigarettes. Anycase Acura just called and they need to keep the car until tomorrow while they continue trying to figure this out.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if David is right about the realtime traffic report like the RL and to fix this issue they have to install it in our TL's?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Update June 10th - The dealer called and Acura Tech Cailifornia is overnighting them the electronics they need to do the repair. He says the fuse panel and some circuit boards are going to be replaced. My car should be ready by monday evening. In case anyone interested I tried to exchange the POS Explorer for some other sedan even if I have to pay 10-20 bucks difference but the local Enterprise office did not have any available. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow to see if any were returned and try get something interesting (maybe a new Mustang)

Will report outcome of the repair on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Dumont ..

Thanks for the update ... i'm still thinking whether to take it to the dealer or pull fuse #7 .. anyway waiting for ur result ....
Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Got the same problem on Friday after a couple of days in the 90's. Pulled the fuse and it didn't fix the problem. Time to go to the shop!!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Car Addict

6.13.05 Update:

-Yesterday I pulled #7, counted to 10, reinstalled. Did not fix it.

-Then I pulled #21, reinstalled.... 10 count. Pulled #7... 10 count, reinstalled. Still flatlined. What was weird to me is that #21 is like the fuse for the heater right?

I am not going to be able to go to the dealer for a while, so I will pull my Acura book out and see if there is anything in there.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

Hello,

Just now I pulled and reseated fuse #7, it worked .... everything (outside temp, HFL icon) came back as normal .. I know its a temporary fix and waiting for expert people's here comment on a permanant fix ..

Dumont - Any latest news from rgd this problem ? got it back from the dealer ?

btw, fuse #7 is from the interior fuse box ...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Talking Back from the dealer but not much of an update

Hi Guys,

I just picked up the car 30 mins ago. As far as I can tell it is fixed, temperature was showing 99 degrees, car was sitting in the sun and the A/C had a tough time cooling it off (I got the impression it could have worked better but let's leave that alone for now).

It's not much of an update since the dealer didn't have any paperwork for me and said it will be mailed. He did say again they replaced the fuse panel and some circuit boards. When I get the paperwork I will post what is written up. I think maybe some circuitry that the system uses to read the memory setting of the presets was one of the problems. After I lost all the presets I entered a few XM and FM stations again but in a different order than I had when I got the car. They are all back the way I had set them up originally. I haven't tested the rear defroster yet. I'll have to wait til we have a "colder" morning which is unlikely til early fall...

I suppose I won't get the dealer paperwork for a week or so.

For those following the rental story I swapped the Explorer for a Lincoln LS V6 on saturday. While IMHO the TL is far superior and matches my "youthful" taste better, the LS is not really a bad car. It was an 04. The exterior styling is not bad, just kinda bland, and interior styling is acceptable (it didn't have a navi system). The V6 engine was smooth enough but the 5 spd auto a bit clunky and the suspension was too soft and floaty for my taste even though it cornered okay. The leather was in great shape for 23,500 miles of rental butt and no prints of same, maybe because it saw different ass sizes all this time? I must say I listened for rattles and could not notice any. I hope my TL keeps up as well as this rental.

Some things it had that I would like to have on the TL:

-electric telescoping/tilt steering wheel
-auto on headlights
-RDS radio data

That's it for now.

Dumont
Old 06-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Here is the write up from my dealer for the blank temp/loss of presets/rear defroster problem

CUSTOMER STATES THE OUTSIDE TEMP GAUGE DOESN’T READ CORRECTLY
THIS IS ALL RELATED TO THE DRIVER SIDE FUSE PANEL
TECH TESTED SEVERAL ITEMS WITH OUR TESTER, FOUND SEVERAL
CODES – REPLACED THE FUSEBOX/RELAY CONTROL UNIT
ALL SYSTEMS ARE WORKING FINE AFTER REPAIR
Unquote

Parts: 38200-SEP-A03 Desc BOX ASSY FUSE

Frankly this doesn’t seem to help much except that they did not replace my Navi unit as others said their dealer had done. I hope they were not guessing the problem is solved simply by replacing the parts they say they did since we know just by disconnecting the battery and/or pulling the fuses (which they had to do to replace the things they did) fixes this problem. As long as it does not re-occur I’ll be happy.

Dumont
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Car Addict

How many days did they have your car? My temp is flatlined but my rear defroster does not work, just like yours was.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Hi John,

I took it in on a wednesday morning. Between the dealer and acura/honda tech california they only figured what parts were needed on friday and ordered them for delivery monday morning and the car was ready early monday afternoon. Supposing that all our cars with this defect have identical problem components, and your dealer is unfamiliar with this issue, (as mine alledged he's never heard of this) you could ask your dealer to contact Ramsey Acura (New Jersey) to ask them specifically what was done. That way you could bring your car in only when the parts have arrived.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Dumont
I hope they were not guessing the problem is solved simply by replacing the parts they say they did since we know just by disconnecting the battery and/or pulling the fuses (which they had to do to replace the things they did) fixes this problem. Dumont
I wanted to edit this but was too late, what I meant was I hope they figured out that the components they replaced were actually faulty rather than just "guessing" they were at fault and by already disconnecting the battery to do the job (including removal and re-insertion of fuses) they "fixed" the problem the way some here have done on their own. Only time will tell...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 PM
10th Gear

Hi Dumont,

If those parts went wrong in my car, how all those came back after fuse reset ? As some people already mentioned, it seems not a hardware problem ...

This occurs normally at high temp .. Moreover, above 94F, in some cases the outside temp will go up to 114, then comes down to 90~92F .. no idea what all parameters its using to calculate the outside temperature ..
Old 06-17-2005, 05:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dumont
Here is the write up from my dealer for the blank temp/loss of presets/rear defroster problem

CUSTOMER STATES THE OUTSIDE TEMP GAUGE DOESN’T READ CORRECTLY
THIS IS ALL RELATED TO THE DRIVER SIDE FUSE PANEL
TECH TESTED SEVERAL ITEMS WITH OUR TESTER, FOUND SEVERAL
CODES – REPLACED THE FUSEBOX/RELAY CONTROL UNIT
ALL SYSTEMS ARE WORKING FINE AFTER REPAIR
Unquote

Parts: 38200-SEP-A03 Desc BOX ASSY FUSE

Frankly this doesn’t seem to help much except that they did not replace my Navi unit as others said their dealer had done. I hope they were not guessing the problem is solved simply by replacing the parts they say they did since we know just by disconnecting the battery and/or pulling the fuses (which they had to do to replace the things they did) fixes this problem. As long as it does not re-occur I’ll be happy.

Dumont
Was your TL part of the TSB Safety Recall: Fuse Box May Cause a No-Start or Stalling Condition? Does the VIN of your car fall within the range shown in the link below?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=26

I know that is not why you brought the car in for service. I am wondering if this is a side effect of the issue.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Intermediate

My temp display flatlined for the first time last week. We experienced the first really 90 + temps and the car had been baking in the sun. After driving about a minute it changed to 111, then gradually dropped back into the current outside temp of 95. Have not had any reoccurances, knock on wood, since.

Last week I experienced exactly the same thing under the same circumstances.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Was your TL part of the TSB Safety Recall: Fuse Box May Cause a No-Start or Stalling Condition? Does the VIN of your car fall within the range shown in the link below?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=26

I know that is not why you brought the car in for service. I am wondering if this is a side effect of the issue.
Nope, my car is not affected by that Recall. BTW I am sure glad I leased the car instead of buying because if these sorts of problems continue after the warranty is over I'd hate to see the repair bills... It would seem that Acura (and perhaps all auto makers?) are racing to sell cars with sophisticated electronics before they are thoroughly tested. I am not really complaining mind you I love cutting edge technology and the our Navi system is great IMHO. It just seems their electronics dept not keeping up with the usual japanese (regardless of where built) almost bulletproof vehicle reliability. Maybe the rattle and vibration issue, among other minor problems, stems from insufficient field testing (read save research time and money) although build quality would explain more why some cars have rattles and others don't. Sofar with only 3 months and less than 3000 miles my car is rattle and vibration free.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:02 AM
bef
Anthracite Quartz

Hmm, I've never had a flatline return to any reading, even after sitting in the garage overnight.
This Monday, I started the car to go to lunch and there was a brief, but noticeable pause before any of the displays displayed any data. Sure enough, I had the flatline display and the driver and passenger temp readings were different from what they last were.
I didn't reset it to see if the flatline would go away. It didn't.

Tuesday morning the car hesitated during startup and no heat flowed through the vents even though the temp setting was 80.
I stopped at the cleaners and pulled out fuse #7 (it's tool-less now that I inserted the fuse into an Add-a-Fuse unit), counted to 10 and reinserted it. The OTA then provided a reasonable reading of about 73 but the heater still doesn't work when the temp is set to 80 (by now the engine is fully warmed up). Interestingly enough, the trip meter didn't reset to 0.0 like it usually does. Maybe I need to remove the fuse for a longer time period.

I hope Acura can fix this.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM
7th Gear

I'm just getting into this post but my temp gauge regularly flatlines at high temps. Out here in Phoenix, it flatlines whenever the sensor reads 115 or over, I think it's a built in thing, I don't believe they allowed for temps over 115. If this is the case they need to do more testing in Arizona. Not sure where the temp sensor is located, but it must be in the front bumper near the ground because after being parked for awhile outside the temp always reads 10-15 degrees hotter then it actually is. Sometimes it takes it awhile to come down to the proper temp.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Advanced

I'm an Arizona guy to and mine flatlines at above 115 other than that it works. All other systems and presets work during the flatline as well. I never have had to use the rear defroster, so i can't speak on that.

Isn't the temp sensor on the dash, just right of center towards passenger side where the dash meets the windshield.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
7th Gear

I think the temp sensor for the outside temperature would need to be located on the outside somewhere. The sensor you're talking about is for the air conditioning/heating system.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

Flat Lined at 115

My temp reading flat-lined almost immediately at 115 after starting. The car was sitting in a baking sun on blacktop. I took the car immediately in for a wash and the gauge re-registered at 115 and dropped over 10 seconds down to 94 or so. This all occurred without restarting the car, pulling a fuse or removing a cable.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope, not on the dash.

Originally Posted by NYFENIXTL
I'm an Arizona guy to and mine flatlines at above 115 other than that it works. All other systems and presets work during the flatline as well. I never have had to use the rear defroster, so i can't speak on that.

Isn't the temp sensor on the dash, just right of center towards passenger side where the dash meets the windshield.

The sun sensor is on the dash, the outside temp sensor is behind the front bumper cross brace.

The flatline at temps above 115 is normal because that falls outside the operational limits of the system. The flatline indicates the system is calibrating and waiting for the temp to drop to level it can handle.

But the problem many of us is having is different. Our temp indicator goes flat and stays there (in many cases the weather hasn't even been that hot). The display never recovers until we either pull fuse #7 or remove the ground cable to reset the system. Many have had their batteries drained from this condition as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
4th Gear

__temp display:

What is the fix to this problem...my battery has gone completely dead 3 or 4 times.

Originally Posted by Jack_TL
Hi Dumont,

thanks for the update ... but I think these dealers are not sure about these problems and they are just practicing with our valuable TLs. btw I called up my dealer, Davis Acura, philly and fixed up an appt next week, but not decided whether to go or not ...

The following answer makes sense ..

==========================

I know the fix!

Im an acura tech and have experienced this problem quite a few times. Acura techline told us that they are working on a bulletin regarding this problem. For a temp fix they had us run a wire from the + to the - cable while unhooked from the battery. This resets all computer systems in the car. I bet those of you that are having the constant dashes across the temp display also have no rear defrost. On navi tl's there is a problem in the navi display and on the non navi's its a circuit in the guage cluster. '05's were supposed to have realtime traffic like the rl's but acura nixed that right before production. So for right now their is no definate fix and just has to be reset when it malfunctions. We are looking for the bulletin in the next 3 months or so.

David

Post #61