Stalled 2008 engine with water

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalled 2008 engine with water

constant rain over two days, road construction, low lying area and just bad luck. one thing lead to another and i drove through about a foot of water with my 2008 TL. now I know its not a smart idea to do so, but having done this on a couple of occasions before, I really didnt think it would happen. But it did, and I skipped a beat, started swearing the $%71 out of myself and felt bad for the one thing I was most proud of. my car just died.....
but it was smart enough not to unlock the doors, which I tried to open and realized I should nt do it. the last thing I want is crap water in my car. that was the one good thing that happened that night.
I tried cranking it once, twice...nothing.....so I left it alone, had it towed and tried again the next morning...still nothing....
over the last couple of days, it has been painful to drive a rental, thinking of my car which is sitting now at a Acura dealership. they called me today and gave me the bad news, the engine is done. dont know the extent of the damage, but it needs replacing is what the service adviser has told me. they are still going through the damage and are not sure what else needs to be replaced. all in all its going to be expensive, but insurance will cover it.

my questions to you guys is what should I do?
following are my options:
1. pay my deductible, replace the engine and continue to use the car.
2. pay my deductible, replace the engine and sell the car.
3. try to reason with the insurance and salvage the car.

I love my car and hate my self for what I have done, so option 1 seems good right. But with the repairs and expenses this incident will be reported on the carfax, which brings down the value of the car as it is. using it further reduces the value and pretty much costs me a lot.

going with option 2 might reduce my loss since i wont further de-value my car by using it.

option three basically leaves me without a car, looking for a new one including the losses that I have already incurred.

in addition to this, how will this affect my insurance payments, will the premium go up?

i have seen quite a few guys go through this ordeal and wanted to know what they did for this situation....

any help, comments are welcome and grateful for
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only you can make that decide what's best for you. If you like the car enough then keep it. If not then you should sell it.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Don't take their advice....ever. I would ask if they pulled the plugs out to clear the water first. If so, tell them you want to see it and try to start it yourself once you're there. If it won't turn over at all, they probably never pulled the plugs out to clear the water. If it starts and has a bad misfire or a knock, the engine is done. But whatever you do, check it out yourself.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
sorry to hear the bad news!

your insurance should total the car out by law. anytime a car gets water damage. who do you have for insurance?

and like the dude said above me. you have to pull the plugs and see if the motor turns by hand. if it does a complete spin. the motors not locked and its fixable. if it doesnt then the motors for sure done!

but either way the insurance should no matter what probably total the car out. and just pay you kbb value on it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You're likely to have other serious problems as well which will continue to manifest themselves over time. The transmission and transaxle, CV joints, suspension components to name a few. Water is an insidious destroyer so be careful with the decision you take on this one.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
that sucks man. I would try to see if they can total the car. I wouldn't want to drive a car with water damage. From NY? A lot of people have been hydrolocking their cars.