Serious issue with battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Serious issue with battery ?

My 2008 Acura TL has 26k miles. The battery has always seemed odd. The car would usually die if I had the radio on for a couple of minutes with the engine off.....thought it must be a weak battery.

It has gotten so bad now that if I have my door open for a minute with the interior lights on the battery dies. I am not sure what the problem is. Right before the battery dies you hear this weird noise like sparks emitting...a crackling noise. Once you hear that noise you know your SOL. Thank god for acura roadside assistance!

I drive the car everyday so it should not be a battery issue. Any idea what this can be? Sometimes after driving I smell a burning smell.....I thought nothing of it but I think these two things might be related. Any advice? I don't want to take it to Acura because the local dealer is a moron who will most likely blame interior LEDS, hid fogs, etc before they even "attempt" to look at the problem.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Forgot to add that all the lights work perfect when it does not start. No flickering or anything.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Remove the HID Fogs and LEDs wont cause issues like that, Chances are, you have a bad battery, but if you are hearing sparking/cracking noise you shoudl definately take it in, you are under warranty and they have to prove and mods have caused the issue.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 767 Likes on 552 Posts
I been having somewhat similar issues with my TL...

My car is a 08 so it has the one-crank start feature meaning you just turn the key to the start position and let go, and the car will automatically start. No need to hold it for 2-3 seconds like you normally would on the 04-06 TLs.

Well lately, I noticed when I would try to do it my car wouldn't start. I would have to manually hold the key to the start position for 2-3 seconds than it will start. I also noticed that when I did try to attempt to twist and let go immediately, when it decided not to start my clock time would reset and say 1:00 for the first 5 seconds after the car gets started. After 5-10 seconds the clock displays the correct time. Not only this, but it would ask me for a navi code, and only the navi code not radio.

The other day I was at a gas station and when I got into the car to start it using the one-turn start function, it wouldn't start again. This time I started it the usual way by holding the key. When I did that, the lights on my gauges lit up, and immediately died out. At the same time, the CD changer started to make weird noises like it was flipping through CDs (Keep in mind that I don't ever use the CD player, I have a zune hooked up through AUX, so no use for CD Player).

I tried to click my dome lights in to see if they would turn on, and they wouldn't. I was thinking "ok wtf" so I decided to open the door to see if my door light was working. I opened the door and sure enough the led on the door lit up. I re-checked the dome light and it actually turned on this time. I popped the hood and checked the battery terminals and they were good. Went into the car to start it up, and it started just fine... this time when it started I had to enter in my navi and radio codes, and the navi had to located satellites to get signal (gave me the screen saying it would take up to 10 minutes)

Today while sitting in the car with the engine off and radio on (barely turned the car off for less than 5 minutes) all the electrical in the car went out for about 10 seconds... Radio display/clock above the navi turned off. Dome lights wouldn't turn on. After 10 seconds everything just turned on by itself...

I started experiencing this within the last 2 weeks.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Bring the car in. Take advantage of your warranty.

If anything, you get a free battery test and maybe a parasitic draw test if they're nice enough.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i'd say check the battery first after the fuses check out. sometimes a dying battery can cause the car to act weird. can't hurt esp if you have an OEM battery in your car and its 2-3 yrs old. 3 yrs was about the time my OEM batteries were going to crap ('ve gone through two and now i'm running an aftermarket battery).