Replace rear brake dust shield/backing plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace rear brake dust shield/backing plate

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, first time posting.
I have found a wealth of information on this site over the years and never encountered a situation where my questions weren't asked and answered before.

I've searched many places but didn't find an answer to this
particular question.

I need to replace the backing plates on the rear on my 2004 Acura tl automatic transmission.

These are the original ones, and after 15 years of taking a beating in salt mines that are these Montreal roads here in Canada, I've reached the point where I can't bend them anymore without something scrapping, also the rust on the inside is preventing proper parking brake operation.

I already have the new parts. I've yet had to replace a wheel bearing on the rear, on from my inspection they are still good.
(No noise, no vibration, no play...)
When removing the hub, if the race of the bearing stays stuck to the spindle, I guess the bearing is trash and needs to be replaced? Are there any tricks to try, to insure the hub pulls out with the bearing intact? I would hate to have to replace both rear bearings if they are still good.
Thank you for any input and advice!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about dust shields. If they are really gone, I usually rip them off and throw them out.

Are you sure that the dust shield is the one that is scraping? It might be parking brake itself, or just junk and rust parts inside, or that ridge on the rotor/hub that is supposed to help seal the parking brake.
This ridge runs in small "channel" inside the rotor like:

Getting the hub out without damaging the bearing might be tricky. If you remove the nut and it slides out then you are set.
Otherwise using slide hammer might be required, and then race will most likely get stuck, which means bearing is gone or soon will be, and will need to be replaced at this point.However I never replaced bearing of this style, so I have no idea how much trouble they give.

If dust shields are gone, get rid of them, and come back to the idea if bearings ever need your attention.

If you decide to go with it, here's some help: