Pulling to the Left???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pulling to the Left???

I have an '05 6MT w/navi that I picked up about a month ago. When I'm on the highway, I've noticed that if I accelerate (lets say from 60 to 80), that the car pulls to the left and when I let off it straightens back out. I have tried this in all the lanes to help rule out a crown in the raod causing the issue. I have also checked tire pressure.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!!

-Dave
Old 07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Instructor

yeah - u gotta problem with ur wheels/tires. if u do a search, you will find a lot of people had this problem. my car used to pull to the left all the time, until the dealer replaced my front two wheels/tires and the problem got fixed. Its a defect in ur tires or wheels that's causing that.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Bring It

I had the same problem when I had my High Performance Summer Tires; when i replaced them, it went away
Old 07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that sounds odd... alignment perhaps... in all the years I have driven cars I have never experienced problems like this with a new car with new tires that was properly aligned....
Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
6MT & LSD

The TL does have quite a bit of weights on the wheels... I've never seen so many on a factory set up.

Mine (05 6MT w/ EL42's) also pull to the left, which went away for a while then came back. Speaking from experience, get it fixed ASAP if you're planning on going on a roadtrip/long distance driving... it's a PITA when cruising (especially with the TL's "light" steering feel)
Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

gustaf, welcome to the forum.
The issue could be just as minor as an alignment. When I first purchased my car, it did the same thing It pulled to the left and after an inspection at the dealership. It was fixed by simply an alignment service. If your car is still under 11,000 miles as mine did. You could get them service with no charge. But it also could be as TL_BLUE and dezzzmond said, issue with the tires.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Advanced

In researching the appropriateness of the TL for my driving needs I test drove three '05 TL's with auto transmission. All three pulled to the right. When asked about this the salesman stated it might be because the cars were demos!? One would think a car dealership would want its demos to be as perfect as possible in every regard. I was left with a serious doubt about the suspension attributes of the '05 TL. It is highly unlikely that three cars in a row would have tire issues.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Instructor

u guys are lucky if it was just an alignment issue because i had mine re-aligned about 3 times before the dealer finally admitted to there being an actual problem. And tehy replaced my front two wheels and tires. Hopefully you won't have to get that done, although it can be good too because at 18K miles - I ended up with two brand new tires.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the front wheel drive pulling if its just during accleration.
Alignment problems generaly show up at all times....
Old 07-23-2005, 03:58 AM
ediddy

check wheel balance and tire pressure....uneven tire pressure will cause a pull......vibration in the steering wheel is the wheel not being balanced properly
Old 12-03-2005, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear

i have an 05 tl /navi with severe right pull also . 2000 mi . problem corrected with brand new michelin mxv 4. why this is a problem with such good tires i dont know, but it seems to be on alot of tl's maybey they should change tire comp.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
meat

had the same problems, it was the POS bridgestones, dealer gave me a deal on 4 new rims and tires, mich mvx 4's no probloems whatso ever, drives like a dream now!pain in the ass for 2 weeks while they tried to figure it out.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
05 TL Silver, 6spd, Navi

I have the same problem.. when I shift or just get on the gas, it pulls to the left pretty substantially. When I push in the clutch the car pulls to the right, let out the clutch, pulls to the left. Its really annoying.. Haven't figured it out yet. Had it rebalanced, tire pressure is good, etc. I'd have to agree with the previous poster, why would it be an alignment if it only pulls when the engine/transmission is pushing it? (ie when its in neutral drives FINE?)
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Advanced

I have the same issue with the vehicle pulling left under higher (60 mph or higher) cruising speed since the first day I drove it off the lot. I found this car to be difficult to keep straight. It seems like it is impossible to find a "sweet spot" for the steering wheel so that the car can track straight. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times and each time they said that the alignment is fine. I am taking it in again this Friday to a different dealer and will be taking along a printout for TSB 06-034 (Vehicle Drifting or Pulling).
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
(1) Check tyre pressure (note the proper pressures on the sticker on the driver's door jamb, as the 6MT calls for higher pressure on the front tyres than on the rears). Adjust if needed. Do this first thing in the morning, or at some other time when the car hasn't been driven for several hours. Note that mechanics are horrible about fixing the pressures when they rotate the tyres; they invariably fail to adjust them, so the morning after a rotation you should figure on adjusting the pressure. Since you just bought your TL, odds are they set the pressures all wrong. (I highly recommend buying a compressor and keeping it in your trunk. I use mine fairly frequently, as I'm always adjusting the pressures on my RX-7 and Ms1995hoo's RSX, neither of which is parked in a fully indoor garage.)

(2) Check the alignment. You don't say where you're from. Normally I shy away from an alignment at any time between November and April due to the increased number of potholes, frost heaves, and other annoyances, but if you live farther to the south this might not pose as much of a problem.

(3) Have the tyres rotated. If they're not directional tyres, I suggest you have them rotate them side-to-side only (that is, front left gets swapped with front right and ditto on the back). Note the admonition above about checking the tyre pressure after the rotation. See if the car pulls the other way after this rotation is done. If so, then swap the tyres from back to front. If the problem goes away, you have a problem tyre and it could be something called a "radial pull." Unfortunately, the tyre shops and manufacturers are extremely reluctant to admit it when this problem shows up. You could try just running them with the problem tyre on the back until the tyres wear out (because if there is a radial pull, putting the problem tyre on the back will make it far less noticeable, or even unnoticeable). If you do this, make sure you tell them "no rotation" when you have the car serviced.