problems on newly puchased TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 05:09 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems on newly puchased TL

I just purchased an used 05 TL from the infiniti dealership when i was there to check out the g35s. they gave me a great deal that i thought was too good to pass up. I test drove it and there were nothing wrong with it at 11k miles, no rattles, etc. but once i bought it home, as always, everything seems to go wrong. first, i realize the driver door hinge start making noises everytime its opened. 2nd, the driver door starts squeaking when driven. and most important of all, i notice some kind of fluid under the car, so i am assuming its leaking from the car since only that small spot is wet. the dealer claimed it has never been in a car accident and the carfax report looks clean. So, what should i do now? its only been a day since i got the car and there are so many problems already. can i complain to the dealer i bought it from? or bring it to acura dealer since its still under warranty. any advise?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Racer

You can either go back to the dealer to have these items fixed under warranty, or check to see if your state has a "cooling off period" that would allow you to return the car for a refund or credit towards another.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

I did not know there was a "cooling off period" . Which states have that?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLowner29
I just purchased an used 05 TL from the infiniti dealership when i was there to check out the g35s. they gave me a great deal that i thought was too good to pass up. I test drove it and there were nothing wrong with it at 11k miles, no rattles, etc. but once i bought it home, as always, everything seems to go wrong. first, i realize the driver door hinge start making noises everytime its opened. 2nd, the driver door starts squeaking when driven. and most important of all, i notice some kind of fluid under the car, so i am assuming its leaking from the car since only that small spot is wet. the dealer claimed it has never been in a car accident and the carfax report looks clean. So, what should i do now? its only been a day since i got the car and there are so many problems already. can i complain to the dealer i bought it from? or bring it to acura dealer since its still under warranty. any advise?

Notice they quickly moved this off the main board LOL. Yeah the TL has had it share of issues. You have to go through the warranty process. Need to document all the issues and get them fixed... not much you can do..
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLowner29
TL is built in USA.
Build in USA = low quality.
Welcome...
My TL rattles as old dodge...So I try to fix rattles it almost every day, but these keep coming
You have two exits;
1. Try to fix youself, pay $ to someone in good bodyshop to fix them for you
2. Get rid of TL and buy car which is not built in USA (Lexus, BMW, MB (not ML of cause)
Old 01-28-2006, 06:26 PM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by oppnyc
TL is built in USA.
Build in USA = low quality.
Welcome...
My TL rattles as old dodge...So I try to fix rattles it almost every day, but these keep coming
You have two exits;
1. Try to fix youself, pay $ to someone in good bodyshop to fix them for you
2. Get rid of TL and buy car which is not built in USA (Lexus, BMW, MB (not ML of cause)

I understand the TL doesnt have the greatest quality out there, but you seriously think MB and BMW are better? Do some research!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ususally this cooling off period is called buyers remorse. On most large purchases you have the right to cancel the contract and return the product within 24 - 48 hours after original purchase. They were most likely trying to get you past this period.

It started back when door to door magazine subscription sales were a big deal....you could cancel the contract within 48 hours by law with no obligation....and it crossed over into car sales, house sales, ect. because it only made sense. It stops people from being able to pawn off a lemon and you getting stuck with it...like you might be at this point? Check your states laws...thats the way it is in Indiana anyway.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TLowner29....You have identified two problem areas: the squeeking door and the wet spot. Any reputable Acura dealer should be able to diagnose and repair the door and/or hinge. As for the wet spot, there can be only four (4) fluids leaking from the car and each is easily identified: 1) oil...probably dark in color and greasy feel, 2)...tranny fluid...reddish in color and also slippery, 3) engine coolant...has alcohol smell and somewhat slippery, and 4)...water...condensed from the air conditioning system and discharged from beneath the car. Perfectly normal and the most probable source of the wet spot. Welcome!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pvansh
I understand the TL doesnt have the greatest quality out there, but you seriously think MB and BMW are better? Do some research!
I base my opinion not on research, but on real facts.
I talk to people who own BMW , Lexus. (I even drive their cars, just few times)
None of these have any rattles. ZERO.
Yes they may have mechanical (more electrical issues). It is fact too.
My point is that Lexus, BMW, MB has much better quality (rattles wise)
Old 01-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

"Ususally this cooling off period is called buyers remorse. On most large purchases you have the right to cancel the contract and return the product within 24 - 48 hours after original purchase."

There is no such thing in relation to automobiles.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is a joke!
Acura is much more reliable than any german brand.

Lube the door hinge and put some silicone on the door seals, problems solved.

Brett
Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
did you ever figure out what type of fluid was leaking. my guess is that it is water from the a/c
Old 01-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brettg
This thread is a joke!

Brett
I agree. this is stupid. an 11K car is UNDER WARRANTY. just make an appointment with an acura dealer and they should fix your concerns. no big deal.

and yeah, I work with german cars. porsche/audi. and audi for one builds an incredibly unreliable car. sure, they don't squeak and rattle much, but with them you would have issues that actually are significant.

and buyer's remorse case for a squeak and fluid leak while the car is under factory warranty???? come on people be realistic. if you just don't like the car, then fine, buyer's remorse. otherwise, just get it fixed. cars break, leak, and squeak from time to time no matter who made them.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Racer

This thread is a joke!

Brett
I did this several times already. Rattles did not go away.
Driver door , window, rubber all these rattle.
It is not very loud at all, but it is very annoying... like a tooth pain...
Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear

i noticed the coolant was low in the car before i purchased the car, eventhough the dealer claim they did their 100 something point check on the car. hmm, why would the coolant still low if they really did the check and fix. but the salesman at the end claimed he checked again and its at normal level. however, this morning i checked it again and it was way below the minimal level. so i filled it up to, not wanting to take the risk. but one strange thing happened later on. it was raining and i had the engine running after 30 mins of driving. smoke start coming out of the hood! i freaked out. what the hell man. i opened the hood and the engine felt really hot, hotter than normal. so i dont know what to do now. dont get me wrong, i love this car. it looks great but i am starting to wonder why the dealer sold it to me for such a low price without much negotiating. is it normal at all to see smoke or steam coming out of the engine when raining. i dont remember seeing this happen to my previous cars i owned. now i have to wait til monday to call service up for an appointment, in the mean time can anyone tell me that this is no big deal.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
It sounds like you might have a hole in one of the hoses which is letting fluid spray onto the engine, causing the steam. This could also account for the coolant level going down.

When the engine is warming up, watch the hoses and see if one of them is leaking.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder if this is some kind of unreported crash car or something.
I never heard of a TL leaking anything, or using coolant.
I would have things checked out before you ruin the motor from running low on coolant.

Only demo cars would be for sale with such low miles and after such a short time,
or else someone smashed it up but did not report it and got rid of the car fast...

Brett
Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
This thread is a joke!

Brett

thank you Brett.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by oppnyc
I base my opinion not on research, but on real facts.
I talk to people who own BMW , Lexus. (I even drive their cars, just few times)
None of these have any rattles. ZERO.
Yes they may have mechanical (more electrical issues). It is fact too.
My point is that Lexus, BMW, MB has much better quality (rattles wise)
yeah me too!! researches are for people who don't have the opp. to see it first hand. however, ALL my friends' 03+ BMW, lexus and MB big or small have rattles more or less (not to mentioned all kinds of electrical problems on B & B).

now i am smart enough to know that these few cars don't represent "all" cars there. therefore this is just my "observation", not a conclusion such as "just go buy BMW or MB, they are better in qaulity".
Old 01-31-2006, 03:14 PM
tsx finally!

watch out. i can say from personal experience that carfax DOES NOT show every little accident or major accident for that matter! my car was in a major accident (9k in damage when it was 5 months old, both my insurance co and the other driver's ins co as well as the state police are well aware of the accident) and to this day, a year and a couple of months later, carfax STILL doesn't show the accident on the car's records!!!!!

and as many have said, i'll also take a squeak or rattle over some major issues any day.

do you know of a reputable body shop in your area?? maybe take it to them and see if they will look for some of the telltale signs of accident damage having been repaired on the car. something seems a bit fishy with it and i would never believe any report or anything that claims that it has never been in an accident.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttliang
yeah me too!! researches are for people who don't have the opp. to see it first hand. however, ALL my friends' 03+ BMW, lexus and MB big or small have rattles more or less (not to mentioned all kinds of electrical problems on B & B).

now i am smart enough to know that these few cars don't represent "all" cars there. therefore this is just my "observation", not a conclusion such as "just go buy BMW or MB, they are better in qaulity".
Lexus is the most trouble free car on the planet. They have been for some time now. Its hard for me to get excited by a lexus though...

The german cars on the other hand seem to have dropped to the bottom, with VW/audi being very bad.
Its the German parts suppliers that seem to be the problem.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1982739&page=7

Build quality does not seem to be much of an issue with any modern car, what fails are the gizmo's, mostly the electronics stuff, things with motors and sensors, connections, etc.

Lately the Germans seem to be having rubber problems, cv joint boots failing at around 40,000 miles, normal failure should be around 120,000 miles....

I will take the rattles, even though I dont have any yet...

Brett
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Instructor

the dealer told me over the phone that the leak is just probably water due to ac condensation. Has anyone experience the same water like wet spot between the 2 front wheels?