Passenger Side Window Doesn't Roll Up Or Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger Side Window Doesn't Roll Up Or Down

So my 17 year old daughter has taken over my '06 TL for the past few months. Got in today to discover the front passenger window doesn't roll up or down. Checked the safety from the driver switch and it's not locked. When I press either the switch from the drivers door or the passengers door, they both click. When I turn the door key twice clockwise, all windows roll down except the front passenger. Anyone have this issue? I'm thinking loose / break in connection or motor fail, but saw other threads where there was just weirdness with these things, so figured I'd ask before I take off the panel to diagnose only to find out I was supposed to reset something. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Sounds like a bad window motor/regulator. You can get the cheap from ebay! It can be a little bit of a pain to install but fairly straightforward.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Thanks! Is there a how to writeup you are aware of? I looked in the garage, but didn't find. There was another thread that linked to a youtube video for an Accord - probably the same, but I always worry about hidden clips that just love to break easily :-).
Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,014 Likes on 759 Posts
Remove the Door panel (4) screws. 2 behind the handle, 1 under the arm rest and 1 by the latch in the rubber bumper. Then there are about 5-6 push clips that need to be popped out. Start by the speaker and work your way back. After you get that done, lift up on the door panel to free it from the door but don't pull away to fast otherwise you will break the green clip for the door cable. Hold the door panel about 2 inches from the door and disconnect the door cable and all attached wire connectors. No there should be 6, 10mm bolts holding the regulator on (don't quote me on that). You will need the window half way up to remove the regulator from the bottom of the glass mounting bracket. May be worth taping the window in place if you don't have someone to hold it when you unbolt it. Once the bolts are out you can remove the regulator. Install in reverse and enjoy a nice dinner on the money saved from going to the dealer!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the motor is like $30ish dollars at the dealership. VS the $250 they want to do it for you. Easy enough like everyone said though
Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

I would replace the whole regulator. The cables couldn't be corroded and could snap shortly after motor replacement.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

Front Passenger Regulator Assy
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That’s not bad. I just did the motors and door latch cable when I did mine. Didn’t check the regulator cables at the time though
Old 08-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Remove the Door panel (4) screws. 2 behind the handle, 1 under the arm rest and 1 by the latch in the rubber bumper. Then there are about 5-6 push clips that need to be popped out. Start by the speaker and work your way back. After you get that done, lift up on the door panel to free it from the door but don't pull away to fast otherwise you will break the green clip for the door cable. Hold the door panel about 2 inches from the door and disconnect the door cable and all attached wire connectors. No there should be 6, 10mm bolts holding the regulator on (don't quote me on that). You will need the window half way up to remove the regulator from the bottom of the glass mounting bracket. May be worth taping the window in place if you don't have someone to hold it when you unbolt it. Once the bolts are out you can remove the regulator. Install in reverse and enjoy a nice dinner on the money saved from going to the dealer!
Thanks for the detailed instructions! Yeah - will probably do the whole reg vs just the motor - no need to go back in twice. You say the window needs to be halfway up. It's up all the way now and the motor is shot. Do you mean at least half way up, or do I need to tug on the cables to get it to half way? Will be doing it solo so a towel and packing tape will be my friend for this task :-)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Painters tape will be more friendly for removal. Yes, you need the window half way up to remove the 2 bolts holding the glass to the regulator bracket on the bottom center of the window. I don't think you can gain access to them when its all the way up, I haven't been in my door lately.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Painters tape will be more friendly for removal. Yes, you need the window half way up to remove the 2 bolts holding the glass to the regulator bracket on the bottom center of the window. I don't think you can gain access to them when its all the way up, I haven't been in my door lately.
Thanks man! Just found this video - not sure how I missed it before:

See what you mean right around the 2:30 mark. Also reading the posters comments, only way to move the window to that position with a bad motor is to cut the cable to carefully slide the glass down. So, def need a new motor and regulator - and my son to help! :-) Maybe I'll get lucky to find that the pigtail just got disconnected somehow...
The following users liked this post:
BreezyTL (08-20-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fix without a new regulator/motor

Originally Posted by RobE
Thanks man! Just found this video - not sure how I missed it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYEwUMzdhc

See what you mean right around the 2:30 mark. Also reading the posters comments, only way to move the window to that position with a bad motor is to cut the cable to carefully slide the glass down. So, def need a new motor and regulator - and my son to help! :-) Maybe I'll get lucky to find that the pigtail just got disconnected somehow...
Maybe the mods can grap this thread and add it as a sticky...I suspect others may have this issue with the same underlying cause.

Spoke to a friend of mine about this issue and he advised that a common problem for windows that aren't used often is for dust to build up in the motor - on bushings - which can render them inoperable. his advise - slam the door a few times to shake off the dust, then try. Happy to report after 3 hard slams - like the kind that will have your neighbors look at you - and the window works fine! $130+ and time spent replacing saved!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobPE
Maybe the mods can grap this thread and add it as a sticky...I suspect others may have this issue with the same underlying cause.

Spoke to a friend of mine about this issue and he advised that a common problem for windows that aren't used often is for dust to build up in the motor - on bushings - which can render them inoperable. his advise - slam the door a few times to shake off the dust, then try. Happy to report after 3 hard slams - like the kind that will have your neighbors look at you - and the window works fine! $130+ and time spent replacing saved!!!
Interesting! Either way the replacement isn't too difficult when the time arises.