New APP but CEL light still ON! Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New APP but CEL light still ON! Please HELP!

Hi, guys can you help me please, I have a 2006 Acura TL, two weeks ago the Check Engine and VSA light came on, after two days the CEL and VSA lights gone, but the trouble codes P2138 and P0108 are still showing in the OBD-II scanner, however, after one week of driving the car, the check engine light comes on again. The day after I got the new Genuine Acura ''37971-RBB-003'' Accelerator Sensor, then I replaced the old APP sensor with that one, however, when I started the car after finishing the installation, I've found that the Check Engine light was still ON!!
Do I have to reset the ECU to turn off the CEL, and drive the car for a few miles to see if the CEL will comes on again? or do I need to take it to the Acura dealer for diagnostic to see if the problem has something with TPS sensor not the APP sensor the one I replaced? PLEASE HELP! THANKS
Old 12-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,594 Likes on 6,638 Posts
always reset ECU to clear CEL.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
always reset ECU to clear CEL.
Thanks for this tip. I really appreciate your answer.
Today morning before moving the car, I've put the key at the second position then I pushed the gas pedal for 35 sec to reset the ECU to see if the engine sensor trouble codes will disappear, unfortunately the codes are still showing in the ODB2 scanner. I drove the car for few miles, it runs smoothly but sometimes when I stop at a stop sign, I find it difficult to accelerate smooth as it was before the issue started, and during that hard acceleration I hear a weird sound and I see the VSA sign flashing then disappear. Is it the TPS sensor problem? I have changed the APP sensor as I mentioned before.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Hate bumping threads but this is exactly the problem I am having. Had an issue at steady speeds, felt like there was some intermittent drag, like a sticking caliper or maybe a hub going bad and binding occasionally. Yesterday it was the worse it has been, sort of that feeling you get with gusty headwinds. Anyway, this morning I start the car, put it in gear and pull away, immediately pops a CEL and VSA and lights and its in an obvious limp home mode. Turned around parked, pulled the code. P2138. Every thread I could find on V6 performance pointed to the APP sensor. Picked up an OEM one, swapped it out, car runs fine, no more wavering at a steady speed, full throttle feels normal. But my code reader won't clear the engine code. I press "erase", it goes through its little dance, says "done" but still have the CEL.

I really, really, really don't want to disconnect the battery (replaced it last week twice when the first battery I got was bad) so I've been through the input nav and radio code and then redo all my resets on AM, FM and XM twice last week.

Will it just go away after a few drive cycles? Or should I bite the bullet and disconnect the battery?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

If you want to clear that you have to reset the car computer by disconnecting the battery. That's what I did when I replaced APP sensor.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Mr. Detail

Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Lol which bothers you more? The code or resetting radio stations?
Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Mr. Detail

Originally Posted by Ossman14
Lol which bothers you more? The code or resetting radio stations?
After doing it twice last week? The presets!

Light turned off by itself today anyway.