OEM Starter vs. Aftermarket Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Starter vs. Aftermarket Starter

I have an 04 TL with 113k, and I've been having starting issues for about three months so. My car doesn't try to turn over, I cleaned my battery terminals, battery is fine, even put in a new ground wire. So almost positive it's not the battery. I took my car to a Honda dealer to get it checked and they were confident it was the starter. I didn't want to buy an OEM one cause of the price so I went aftermarket, and I'm having the same issue still. Two dealerships now have told me because it's not an OEM one.

How true is that statement? This starting issue is driving me insane. I've also banged the shit out of my starter and it still takes me a couple tries for it to start. Sometimes even a minute. I get a buzzing sound from my fuse box area by the foot pedals. Help?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Also this aftermarket starter was brand new built up to OE specs.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Ignition switch?

I don't know if there is a starter relay under the dash anywhere (there was on the last generation I think... don't know about this gen).

The starter switch is part of the starter itself. I had the same issue you were describing but my starter replacement fixed it.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbook4g5
Ignition switch?

I don't know if there is a starter relay under the dash anywhere (there was on the last generation I think... don't know about this gen).

The starter switch is part of the starter itself. I had the same issue you were describing but my starter replacement fixed it.
Did you get an OEM starter? I was thinking ignition switch as well, but I never heard of any TL's, and I've been searching forever, having a ignition switch failure in this generation. Also, there is no starter relay under there.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Racer

I did go with an OEM starter, yes
Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I'm going to go with the non OE starter is fine (I would have gone OE though IMO). It may not be, but let's assume it is for now.

Are we talking MT or AT here? For the MT there is a clutch interlock switch and for the AT there is a transmission range switch. If the applicable is faulty you can get a no start.

In both AT and MT there is a starter cut relay in the under dash fuse/relay panel. And in my MT guess what happens if don't fully engage the clutch sometimes when starting? THE RELAY BUZZES !

When the problem happens if an AT I would run the gear selector though the gears and then try again. If that solves it then it could be the transmission range switch. If MT, then pump the clutch a couple of times. Again if that solves it it could be the clutch interlock switch. If neither then it could still be the relay.

Also, don't rule out the battery especially if its more than a couple of years old. Batteries can cause some f-ed up stuff that many would never associate with them.

Other than that there's really not a whole lot left except the ignition switch and a couple of fuses (which I'm assuming are good since they would rarely be intermittent)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
ive heard of people buying aftermarket starters because they offer a great warranty ( autozone pepboys etc ) but they seem to fail often.

I replaced my starter not to long ago but I purchased it from the Honda Dealer. I believe the accord uses the same starter and costs much less.
I just needed to bring in the old one since there was a core charge.

When I get home I'll post the part number.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
When you pull it out, hook it directly to the battery with jumper cables, jump with a screwdriver and see if the drive extends and turns.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I'm going to go with the non OE starter is fine (I would have gone OE though IMO). It may not be, but let's assume it is for now.

Are we talking MT or AT here? For the MT there is a clutch interlock switch and for the AT there is a transmission range switch. If the applicable is faulty you can get a no start.

In both AT and MT there is a starter cut relay in the under dash fuse/relay panel. And in my MT guess what happens if don't fully engage the clutch sometimes when starting? THE RELAY BUZZES !

When the problem happens if an AT I would run the gear selector though the gears and then try again. If that solves it then it could be the transmission range switch. If MT, then pump the clutch a couple of times. Again if that solves it it could be the clutch interlock switch. If neither then it could still be the relay.

Also, don't rule out the battery especially if its more than a couple of years old. Batteries can cause some f-ed up stuff that many would never associate with them.

Other than that there's really not a whole lot left except the ignition switch and a couple of fuses (which I'm assuming are good since they would rarely be intermittent)
Sorry, it is an AT. I also did try putting it in neutral and it's the same. Still trouble starting either way. The fuses are fine. But I tried also putting in a brand new battery off my dad's Accord and that didn't help either.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbonut
When you pull it out, hook it directly to the battery with jumper cables, jump with a screwdriver and see if the drive extends and turns.
Can you elaborate on this, please?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
ive heard of people buying aftermarket starters because they offer a great warranty ( autozone pepboys etc ) but they seem to fail often.

I replaced my starter not to long ago but I purchased it from the Honda Dealer. I believe the accord uses the same starter and costs much less.

I appreciate it, man!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
IIRC, there are plenty of Aziners who have used non-OEM starters and have no issues...

The buzzing is coming from the starter cut relay. That's a good indication of an under voltage. So, you need to find out why the relay is not getting the proper voltage. I'd go back to battery, connections or ignition switch....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 07-23-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gwaks
Can you elaborate on this, please?

He's telling you to take the starter off the car, hook it directly to your car battery, and jump it with a screwdriver (by touching both contacts) to see if the starter gear/shaft assembly moves forward.

Or if the starter is already off the car, Autozone or most other autoparts stores will test it for you for free.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyromeo3

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
IIRC, there are plenty of Aziners who have used non-OEM starters and have no issues...

The buzzing is coming from the starter cut relay. That's a good indication of an under voltage. So, you need to find out why the relay is not getting the proper voltage. I'd go back to battery, connections or ignition switch....
Just ordered the ignition switch! It came out to $52.48 off HondaUnlimitedParts. I'll keep this post updated when the part comes in and I install it. I hope this works. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by pbook4g5
He's telling you to take the starter off the car, hook it directly to your car battery, and jump it with a screwdriver (by touching both contacts) to see if the starter gear/shaft assembly moves forward.

Or if the starter is already off the car, Autozone or most other autoparts stores will test it for you for free.
Been buzy, thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
if you need it here is the part number; 31200-RKB-004. 06-07 accord v6 use the same starter.

Have you tried jiggling the key in the ignition right before starting?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Hello everyone. The issues ended up being my ignition switch! Which I found very interesting, because I've been searching for so long on this site for 3G TL with an ignition switch issue, and I couldn't find one. If you get a buzzing sound coming from your relay inside the car by your fuse box, look into the ignition switch. I got it for $48, I think, OEM off HondaPartsUnlimited. Part #35130-SAA-J51.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
You should go back to your dealer and chastise them for their diagnosis. They cost you the price of an aftermarket starter and the time/effort to install it....

and remember, the starter cut relay buzz is a sign of under voltage, which could be caused by a number of issues. You eliminated most of the issues leading to the switch as the culprit.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 07-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
You should go back to your dealer and chastise them for their diagnosis. They cost you the price of an aftermarket starter and the time/effort to install it....

and remember, the starter cut relay buzz is a sign of under voltage, which could be caused by a number of issues. You eliminated most of the issues leading to the switch as the culprit.
Thank you for your input! Actually, one Honda dealership and one Acura dealership both told me stater. The guy from the Acura dealership stated, "I've worked here for 5 years, and I've never replaced an ignition switch on your car." I seriously almost just spent $300 for an OEM starter when my friend who's a very good mechanic, who has previously worked for Acura and now works at Honda, told me every car that came into the shop with that buzzing noise, it ended up being their ignition switch. So I took his advice and spend $50 instead of $300.

For future reference, look into everything! Don't just assume starter. Also, get more input than just a dealer's. The one's in my area, I feel like that don't know much.