My dealer story - squealing brembos, trying to get replaced under TSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer story - squealing brembos, trying to get replaced under TSB

Why is nothing simple? Why does every Acura dealer in the Philly area suck (At times?)

Anyway, have an '06 TL with brakes that squeal under light pressure. This just happens to be the title of TSB 04-019. Took the car to the dealer for a list of warranty stuff to fix. Can't replicate most of it. But I guess they did replicate the squealing brakes as they let me know they resurfaced the rear rotors. Thanks. Not what I asked for. I gave them TSB 04-019 and asked for THAT to be done, but who am I?

Car's back the second time because they did damage to it while they had it (Body work.) Ask them again to fix the squealing brakes since turning the rotors didn't help. Remind them of TSB 04-019.

What follows next is the comedy, I mean, thread, between myself and the service advisor. Names have been changed to protect the, well, you know. . . Read from the bottom up -

----------

Pat,
Yes we are, just printed it out a few minutes ago for you w/your paperwork.......
either way, [Service Manager] completed the review w/the tech prior to releasing vehicle to you. He wanted to be sure personally that all was right prior to my emailing you. He usually doesn't second guess his techs but in the situation of a return for same concern, either he or the shop forman get involved. The shop forman was off today so [Service Manager] stepped in to confirm conditions.
Hopefully all is good now!
Thanks!
[Service Writer]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:41 PM
Subject: RE: tl

Thanks, will talk to them tomorrow.

Don't forget - the TL type S wasn't made for 2004-2006, which is what the TSB I was referring to applies to. The TSB shows a defective front brake pad set - I understand completely what you're saying about fresh brakes, but this TSB seems to refer to defective pads being replaced and the procedure. Are we looking at the same TSB?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Pat,
There are techs here from 8-12 tomorrow...but only a partial staff. What I meant by the fresh barakes comment is that when brakes are replaced they are treated prior installation and rotors are machined as well.
The bulletin that you are referring to is for a TL type "S". The brake pads are "directional" and must be installed in a proper direction. with the proper "brembo" supplied grease.

As a rule we provide a package of the grease with each set of the brake pads and our techs are well versed in the preparation of the pads prior installation.

You are welcome to test drive with a tech when you come in tomorrow.
[Service Manager], the service manager is the one whom test drove vehicle with the tech and said it was ok to release the vehicle to you.
So, Hopefully, all is good!
Tx,
[Service Writer]
P.S. I have attached a copy of the tsb with your final paperwork as well.
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:08 PM

[Service Writer],

Thanks. I won't make it by 5:30pm today, but will be in tomorrow.

On the brakes, will someone be around tomorrow if I take them for a ride to let them hear the noise? Was it TSB 04-019 that you refer to? Not sure what you mean that it's not applicable re: fresh brakes.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:57 PM

Pat,

You are all set!! Bodyshop is done! The Hevac cools to 46 farenheit. [Service Manager] test drove vehicle with technician 4 miles (over the 6 mile round trip from our bodyshop) and could not duplicate concern w/brakes. The TSB is not applicable since the updates of the TSB are performed when fresh brakes are installed. I did get your e-mail...Thank You!

We are here until 5:30pm today or between 8 & 2 tomorrow.

Thanks!

[Service Writer]

P.S. Yes the Engine cover has also been replaced!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
TSB are tech advisory notices for the mechanic to track down odd problems
They are NOT mandatory or recall in nature at all- simply tech advice

iirc there was a change in front- from flat surfaced pads to ones with an angled cut on its leading and trailing edge, that cuts down on possible noises. Some of what the writer states- sounds borderline fictional- thats why they call them Writers!!!
I wonder if his techs are `preconditioning` pads on the grinding wheel!!!

You have to understand the compromise acura makes in each car-
sporty minded car but driven by mom. Thats why so many members here go to an aftermarket brand of rotors and pads
Superior stopping and less noise, if you drive them like they are really meant to be used!

OP has not described the actual noise heard under what conditions. It must be unique if not found by manager on longer test drive
Managers hate `comebacks`- and will do everything possible to fix the car, they have to find the problem in order to fix it!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Unregistered User

I understand the idea behind TSBs. However, since I told them exactly how to cause the noise, and it's exactly what the TSB states, I would have thought this would be a slam dunk. Not two visits and still no fix. When I pick it up tomorrow, I'm taking them for a drive.

Beyond that, they must have heard SOMETHING if they decided they needed to turn the rear rotors the first time it was in. Nothing changed, so not sure how they noticed that the first time, and nothing this time.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
When you have a noise issue- its ALWAYS best to ask for the tech to take a ride with you.
Without that drive= how can they really be expected to find 1 specific noise?
The way you drive and spend hours in the car, and what you hear- is not what a tech hears as they are trying to drive- and listen- and diagnose in a few minutes
You drive- they listen- if they hear it- have them drive and replicate, now they can look at parts and say- hey I found this xyz on the pad edge- thats odd!~

They surfaced the rear rotors hoping for a cure to symptoms they could not find. That was better than just handing the car back to you untouched.
The want to find and fix it- not out to screw you over.
Do the drive, have exact examples written down for tech
If you are picking up on saturday the real head tech is not likely to be there
Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i also live near the philadelphia area...what part? and what dealer?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
NEVER EVER EVER NEVER walk into a dealer with a TSB. Even if you know of one that might pertain to your issue dont mention it. TSB's are not there to help the client with a diagnosis and in my opionion shouldnt even be available to the general public. The clients only job is DUPLICATE the issue if the dealer cannot. TSBs are constantly revised and there may have been changes made to them so my suggestion dont make yourself look silly. If you have an issue, take a tech for a ride. If you cant duplicate it, dont expect anything to be done about it. I do not make repairs on customers cars if they cannot recreate the issue. Plain and simple.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
NEVER EVER EVER NEVER walk into a dealer with a TSB. Even if you know of one that might pertain to your issue dont mention it. TSB's are not there to help the client with a diagnosis and in my opionion shouldnt even be available to the general public. The clients only job is DUPLICATE the issue if the dealer cannot. TSBs are constantly revised and there may have been changes made to them so my suggestion dont make yourself look silly. If you have an issue, take a tech for a ride. If you cant duplicate it, dont expect anything to be done about it. I do not make repairs on customers cars if they cannot recreate the issue. Plain and simple.
Oh yeah? Well it just so happens I DO WALK IN with a TSB in hand if it pertains to a problem I'm having. It let's them know I'm on the up and up with what the public isn't supposed to be aware of. In both cases, the dealers just did the work. They get reimbursed by Acura for the parts and labor anyway. End of story.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced

No more squeal

I too had this problem for the longest time and so I took it to Rosenthal Acura in maryland and they test drove the car with the manager and decided to give me fresh new pads (all four) and resurfaced the rotors. Now it is good as new. Hopefully these won't squeal ever again. Good luck everyone. Don't take no for an answer. Demand that they do their job thoroughly and test drive it until they identify it. Who cares, you're driving a loaner.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
It's not like you're the only guy on the planet qualified to read and interpret a Service Bulletin.

I can certainly understand you (or any Acura Tech/Writer/Svc Manager) would be defensive or perturbed by some moron off the street waiving TSB's, causing a rukus, and claiming preferential treatment when said moron doesn't have the problem in the bulletin(s) and/or doesn't have a car that the bulletin(s) apply to.

I also agree that being able to reproduce the problem is crucial to your ability to identify and troubleshoot.

But a *reasonable* person, who has some understanding of what's what, should be able to engage you and/or your staff in a meaningful discusson of the merits of a given TSB to their problem. Why would a Service Manager fear that?

Let me ask this also:

Let's assume a TSB was issued some time ago that fit's my car and problem *perfectly*. Let's say I know about this TSB, but do not mention it.

How does the Service Dept get prompted to check for the existence of a TSB? How do I know that the TSB was considered and either applied or rejected?