Locking Doors w/ Engine Running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Locking Doors w/ Engine Running?

Sorry All,

I know this isn't really a problem or even recommended, but I am wondering if there is a way to lock your doors while you have your engine running?

Browsed quickly through the manual and searched on the forums, but I couldn't find an answer to my question. Winter is coming and I thought it wouldn't be bad to know in case I have to defrost the windows.

Much appreciated!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
You should be able to lock it with the key from the outside.

I went out and tested it by turning the key on, but didn't want to start the engine just for this test, so I can't say for sure if it will work with the engine running, but it should.

I'll test it again later when I go out and see if it makes any difference if the engine is running.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Instructor

I am not sure if this has been changed with the 3gen, but in the 2gen you can lock the doors from the passenger side and close the doors without it automatically unlocking. I locked my keys inside once doing this.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
The 2G trick doesn't work on the 3G. The electric switch doesn't work, and if you push down on the knob at the rear of the door it only locks that door.

Okay, this was my challenge for today, and I finally figured out how to do it.

Of course, the easiest way is to have your second key and lock the door from the outside. For this purpose, you can go to Lowes and get a key made for around $1. It won't have the immobilizer chip so you won't be able to start the car, but you can do everything else with it. I made one for this purpose and keep it in the garage in case I want to check the MID or stuff like that.

You can also do it this way, but it works better with a 5AT, because with a 6MT you would have to jump over the console to work the clutch.

Get in the passenger side
Do not close the door
Before putting the key in the lock, lock all doors with the electric switch on the door
Start the car
Get out
Close the door
Old 10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Great find! Thanks.

I'll have to get a key made for this. With our Nissans (previous Maxima, Altima and now our Murano) I love that in the winter I can start the car with the heater on and lock it with the fob so that all the ice and snow is easier to remove from the windows some 15 minutes later and no real danger of someone deciding to take it for a joy ride. Of course with today's gas prices it will be a little wasteful but better than trying to chisle the stuff off the windshield.

Dumont

Originally Posted by Ron A
The 2G trick doesn't work on the 3G. The electric switch doesn't work, and if you push down on the knob at the rear of the door it only locks that door.

Okay, this was my challenge for today, and I finally figured out how to do it.

Of course, the easiest way is to have your second key and lock the door from the outside. For this purpose, you can go to Lowes and get a key made for around $1. It won't have the immobilizer chip so you won't be able to start the car, but you can do everything else with it. I made one for this purpose and keep it in the garage in case I want to check the MID or stuff like that.

You can also do it this way, but it works better with a 5AT, because with a 6MT you would have to jump over the console to work the clutch.

Get in the passenger side
Do not close the door
Before putting the key in the lock, lock all doors with the electric switch on the door
Start the car
Get out
Close the door
Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Hey Dumont if you plan on starting up your car so it can warm up before you get in it why dont you get remote start.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:09 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

How about auto-down the window after starting the car. Get out of the car, shut the door and lock them, then reach through the window and pull the auto-up switch... then move your arm.

Voila, you're locked out of a running TL.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Usalinh
Hey Dumont if you plan on starting up your car so it can warm up before you get in it why dont you get remote start.
Great Idea, except.

1) I would prefer have such a feature be an actual factory item i.e. comes installed by Acura or the dealer already on delivery although maybe Acura dealerships do sell remote starters for install anytime, I'll have to check it out because

b) It's a lease and unless the install is carried out by Acura I don't want to go through problems if a poor third party install f's something else in the car and

III) I assume such an install will cost only around $2-300 (maybe more at the dealer) but right now our spending has been out of control so I probably can't bring myself to add to my mounting debt.

I actually will look into it and maybe surprise myself for Xmas.

Dumont
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Quick question abt remote starters

Since remote starters was brought up in this thread I'll try asking here first. Can you remote shut the engine off? I was wondering if I start the car and then get have to stay later in the office do I have to go out and stop the engine manually? Or let's say I don't look where the car is parked and start the engine and then see that I'd have to schelp through a snow dune built up over the car and I decide to not bother and stay home.

Of course I will do a little research about remote starters but if anyone knows pls post.

Dumont
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Well, some cars do come from the factory with remote start now. I've seen a commercial for some american car that had remote start on it. But, I feel you on the cost and not trusting a third party doing the work and it not being up to your liking. And yes you can remote start and stop it. With my old Viper 791 and Compustar alarms I could start and turn off the engine. But, I'm not sure if Acura has release a factory remote start yet. Good luck on that find Dumont.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

coulnt you just get a quick release keyring for the alarm fob? take the fob off the keychain start the car and take the fob with you and lock the car?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Mark_B
coulnt you just get a quick release keyring for the alarm fob? take the fob off the keychain start the car and take the fob with you and lock the car?
That is the exact problem. The fob will not lock the doors with the engine running unlike our Murano, and I guess all Nissans and Infiniti's? that can do this, and yes I do have a quick release keychain exactly for that purpose.

I am going to call my Acura dealer to ask if they do remote starter installs without affecting the warranty.

Dumont
Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Try this. Start car and remove remote via the quick release keyring as Mark B is suggesting. With the driver's door open, lock the other doors with the electric switch. The driver's door will still be unlocked. Pull the driver's door handle out like you're getting out of the car and keep the handle in that position. Now manually push the door lock post down. Let go of the door handle and now close the door. All doors should be locked now. To get back in, try using the remote and if that doen't work, then you will have to use an extra key.

Haven't tried this yet cause the TL is the wife's car and we're both at work. I'm pu$$y whipped! Let us know if this works.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I don't believe the switch will operate ANY doors with the car running, and the remote does not function with the key in the ignition period.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
I don't believe the switch will operate ANY doors with the car running, and the remote does not function with the key in the ignition period.
I'm not starting an argument here...

With the engine running, the electric switch definitely works with the doors closed. We all agree to that. The question is does it work when the driver's door is opened? And the remote functioning while engine is running is questionable, but we are opening the door locks and not arming and locking the doors. Will test that out tonight. Unless someone has their TL with them and can test it now. I'm very curious.

BTW, roll down your window first so as to not lock your keys in the car! LOL!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Okay this is how it works (I know this and don't even have a 3rd gen)

If you have your engine running and the driver's front door is open, the power lock switch will not function - even the one on the passenger's door.

If you have your keys in the ignition, the remotes will not function.

Hope this clears it up.

If you want to lock yourself out of the car while it is running:

1. Make sure you have your spare key.

2. Roll down driver's window, get out and shut door while car is running.

3. Reach in and press the lock button on the door.

4. While your arm is inside, hit the auto up driver's window.

5. Move your arm.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Tried it and none of what I've said worked as 03CoupeV6 said. With all the doors locked except for the driver's, I manually pushed the door lock post down. As soon as I closed the driver's door, ALL doors unlocked. The remote does not respond as well. So use the spare key method or do the window method.

It's a pretty well thought out system to prevent you from locking yourself out with the engine running.