Lo/High Beam completely stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lo/High Beam completely stopped working...

For some odd reason, both of my Lo/High beams are not working in both headlights. I had to drive home in the dark with only my foglights.

i checked the fuses and none are blown. What could be wrong?? I've checked everywhere in the bay for loose connectors, but couldnt find anything that would relate to the lights. When still hear a click from the projectors when I switch to highbeam, but no light... (if that helps any)

I'm really hoping its a fuse someone... or somehow both bulb blew at the same time.

Any ideas??
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the headlight switch in the steering?
Seen those go out before- I believe you can buy it as a small seperate part- no issue to install.
Get out the 12volt test light and see where you have power
Pull the cover off the steering column and look at the headlight switch-
spring sprung loose?- screw missing??
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the headlight switch in the steering?
Seen those go out before- I believe you can buy it as a small seperate part- no issue to install.
Get out the 12volt test light and see where you have power
Pull the cover off the steering column and look at the headlight switch-
spring sprung loose?- screw missing??
thats not it since his fog's are working. That is very odd, the headlight fuses are in the underhood fuse compartment. Check those. If you are under warranty, take it to acura as it might be the light control module that the 3G tl's have.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Instructor

I dont believe its the switch in the steering because it turns the parking lights on fine. When I have the foglights on (Low Beam) and switch to high beam, the foglight cuts turns off. So, everything functions normally besides the low beam.

I've already checked the fuse compartment under hood and all fuses are good.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 99vtecaccord
I dont believe its the switch in the steering because it turns the parking lights on fine. When I have the foglights on (Low Beam) and switch to high beam, the foglight cuts turns off. So, everything functions normally besides the low beam.

I've already checked the fuse compartment under hood and all fuses are good.
My guess is that the light control module in the hood (little box next to fuse box) is messed up and not switching to turn them on.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Doh! Maybe I dont know all things--this is such a bummer to discover~
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there is only one bulb per side that is for both hi and lo beam. There's a mechanical cover over the hi-beam projector that springs back when you switch to hi-beams.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

I took my car to Honda yesterday for an alignment. I told them about my light issue... they supposedly ran a few test (a volt meter test I'm assuming) and came to a conclusion that all my fuses were fine but could possibly have two blown bulbs.

how could this be possible... I last remembered my headlights working when I was in the garage and needed access to the truck. So, i popped the truck front the inside without knowledge my alarm being engage (windows were down). The alarm sounded off for roughly 5-7 mins, till i found my keys. Could this be the reason why my headlights do not work?? I don't remember if my headlight were flashing when the alarm was setting off.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

yep - the alarm probably flashed the headlights way too many times
Its really hard on HIDs to do that- they like to cool off completetly before a restart
bad design- but what are you going to do

time to upgrade to Kaixen bulbs- see vendor Excelerate- PM him for current price
Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Alright... heres whats happening. Its been serveral days since I've last used my Lo Beams. Today, I did some testing and found out both bulbs are fine. I ran the factory ballast directly to the battery and both lit up, but once i connected the ballast to the factory harness... I didnt get any light. After trying to troubleshoot for hours... my lights would sometime come on when I switch lo beam - for some odd reason both lights do not come on at the same time. i would either get the left or right side to work, rarely will both side come on. And if they did come on, if i were to switch it off than back on... it would not come back on

whats happening here??

So far, i came down to this...
-Bulbs does not need to be replaced
-Ballast/Bulb works if hooked directly to battery (So, the ballast is working properly)
-Fuses are fine

I believe it the ballast isnt getting enough juice when hooked to the harness (maybe some kind of shortage, but where)... because it lights up fine when hooked to the battery.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

hmmmm.... I would think now that its the harness in the front being damaged somewhere. Did you run any aftermarket bulbs for fogs or change the harness?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Instructor

yea, i had an aftermarket ballast hooked up to the factory harness and it didnt always turn on either...
Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Would it make any difference if I replace my switch assy - light/turn signal?

Num: 011

Would it make sense to get another ballast igniter if both ballast/bulb works when connected directly to the battery?

I just bought set of HID for my Foglight since my main headlights dont work... Kinda hard seeing the road with reg. halogen fog.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 99vtecaccord
Would it make any difference if I replace my switch assy - light/turn signal?

Would it make sense to get another ballast igniter if both ballast/bulb works when connected directly to the battery?

I just bought set of HID for my Foglight since my main headlights dont work... Kinda hard seeing the road with reg. halogen fog.
The projectors in the fogs are not designed for that much "throw" down the road. They won't work like the regular headlights do.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Racer

was there a solution to this problem? im having the same issue with my 04 TL
Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
It never makes sense to replace a part that you have not diagnosed to be faulty. Its a douche but see if you have power to the 2 pin connector at the ballast. You can unplug it if it helps. Lemme know what you have with the headlights switched ON. Check both sides. It matters.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Racer

Yes there is power to the connector. I'm thinking maybe igniter's gone? but how come both don't work. Sometimes one turns on, rarely both work. If one side is on the other is off vise versa.

Car is out of warranty
took it to a mechanic both bulbs work.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ravi
Yes there is power to the connector. I'm thinking maybe igniter's gone? but how come both don't work. Sometimes one turns on, rarely both work. If one side is on the other is off vise versa.

Car is out of warranty
took it to a mechanic both bulbs work.
We are only half done. This test needs to be performed with the ballast CONNECTED. Back probe the black wires on each ballast and tell me what you get. Is it both or just one that is out?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
We are only half done. This test needs to be performed with the ballast CONNECTED. Back probe the black wires on each ballast and tell me what you get. Is it both or just one that is out?
Having this issue on a 2003 TL. I know this post is old but it seemed most relevant. I've owned the car for about a year. We replaced right side headlight bulb at that time and it's worked OK since. Starting having occasional 'non start' problems that would go away with a couple off/on cycles a couple months ago. As of last night, both stopped working and won't come on. I can't get my probes in there to test from the back of the connector, but the right side light is getting battery voltage when the lights are on (with connector disconnected.) Any advice. People mention grounding, but that seems more of an issue with aftermarket lights, and these are stock. Not sure what to try now. Considering one of the advertised kits. They seem pretty inexpensive and I'm reasonably handy, though I would look for a guide or something to see what was really involved.

David
Old 01-18-2023, 10:40 AM
4th Gear

Hi/Lo Beams not working as well.

Hey guys,

I’m having a real hard time here with my 2004 TL. The hid headlights went out last week and I’ve been doing everything I think might be wrong. Here’s a list of what I’ve done:
Changed the HID bulbs

Checked the fuses

Checked the relay

The ballast is fine too

Checked the DRL relay and it’s fine (even connected it to power and the DRL lights came on)
My car alarm had gone off last week before they went out so I thought the HID’s had died because they don’t like getting turned off and on a ton but I guess that is not the case.(As I changed the bulbs and it still didn’t fix the problem) When I was messing with the lights and turning them off and back on the passenger side light came on but then went back out.

So my conclusion is that the power supply to the HID lights is getting interrupted or messed up at some point, does anyone have a clue of what I should check or do next? I’ve had a real hard time trying to find how the wiring goes around the car and to the HID so if anyone has a diagram or anything of the route the wires take that’d be helpful as well.