Left channel for XM barely audible..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 12:23 PM
Drifting

Left channel for XM barely audible..

Hi guys. I had my battery checked this am...the guy unplugged the battery, cleaned the cables and hooked it back up. It could be totally coincidental but now the left channel of my XM radio is barely audible. CD's are fine,am/fm is fine..but XM is an issue. Any idea where the problem could be ? Do I have to take upart my whole dash to get to the back of the head unit ?
I am NOT under warranty...
ty
Old 02-09-2009 | 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Hard to believe that unplugging and resetting the battery would cause this but....

try unplugging and re-hooking up the battery see if it comes back. If not, your XM receiver is in your trunk, you can easily access it by pulling down the right carpeting in the trunk and you'll see three large bolts holding the reciever onto a metal wall in the right rear trunk... you can check the two harnesses that plug into it to verify that they are not damage (for a reason I cannot explain... can't believe they would randomly wear out).

The input for the XM reciever is in the back left side (when you're looking right at the front of the OEM headunit) of the headunit .. and using the "simple install method" for the PXAMG ipod module (see threads in electronics section) you can try and reseat the XM input and see if that works.

What happens when you toggle the balance all the way to the left in XM .. not much volume?
Old 02-09-2009 | 11:16 PM
A Black TL

The xm in my TL sounded very bad worse them AM quality.
Old 02-24-2009 | 10:45 AM
9th Gear

Dolby

Try turning off the Dolby and see what happens. I just bought a used 2007 TL type S. I read reviews that the sound system was "Awesome" but I find that it's just okay. I usually have the thing turned all the up to get close to the volume I like when a good song comes on. The system is not nearly as good as the system in my wifes MKX. I was expecting much better.

Anyway, I was driving the car yesterday with the sound turned all the way up and I knew there had to be a speaker that was not working or something because it was not loud at all. I adjusted the fader to all rear and there was almost NO SOUND to be heard. I turned off the Dolby setting and the speakers came alive. I have no idea why this is but I am going to do more investigating to find out why teh sound system in the 2004 TLS i traded in was louder than my 2007 TLS.
Old 02-24-2009 | 11:45 AM
Safety Car

you cant turn the dolby off.. its auto.... when you put a dolby disc in or a dvd-a in it activates.... try tinkering with the wires on the right of the vehicle in the trunk behind the liner or the wires by the stock amp it maybe a loose connection or something may actually be broken. i have an XM tuner if thats the problem i wouldnt mind giving it to u as long as u take care of shipping.
or if u wanna take a ride to NY ill even put it in for you. lol either way hope it all works out for u
Old 02-24-2009 | 01:56 PM
9th Gear

Dolby off...

I'll check to see what the heck I turned off when I get off work. I could have sworn it said Doldy???

On my 2007 TLS in the audio menu (pressing the right knob) you can scroll down past the bass, treble, etc. to the 2nd screen and turn off what I thought was the Dolby???

I was driving so I wasn't paying full attention to the radio so I could be wrong as to what I was turning off. Whatever it was it made the rear speakers play actual sound verse some very quiet mumblings.

I'll have to check to see what I did again.
Old 02-24-2009 | 02:06 PM
9th Gear

Yes you can....

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
you cant turn the dolby off.. its auto.... when you put a dolby disc in or a dvd-a in it activates.... try tinkering with the wires on the right of the vehicle in the trunk behind the liner or the wires by the stock amp it maybe a loose connection or something may actually be broken. i have an XM tuner if that's the problem i wouldn't mind giving it to u as long as u take care of shipping.
or if u wanna take a ride to NY ill even put it in for you. lol either way hope it all works out for u
Okay, you had me doubting myself so I had to run out to the parking lot and check it out. YOU CAN turn off the Dolby at least of my 2007 TL Type S. You hit the right knob (station selector) scroll to the next screen and you'll see "Dolby Pro Logic II". You see a selection to turn it on or OFF.

I have no idea why it would affect the sound level as much as it does. I'm still trying to figure out why the rear speakers are so quite when Dolby is on.
Old 02-24-2009 | 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnnybeerbrewer
Okay, you had me doubting myself so I had to run out to the parking lot and check it out. YOU CAN turn off the Dolby at least of my 2007 TL Type S. You hit the right knob (station selector) scroll to the next screen and you'll see "Dolby Pro Logic II". You see a selection to turn it on or OFF.

I have no idea why it would affect the sound level as much as it does. I'm still trying to figure out why the rear speakers are so quite when Dolby is on.
he has an older TL than 2007.... dolby doesn't apply