Key FOB Stopped working after car battery died

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020 | 01:38 PM
Banned

Key FOB Stopped working after car battery died

Hi folks

Have a weird issue going on with my 07 TL.

Due to the COVID stuff - like an idiot I didnt drive my car for 2 weeks - the battery died probably because my HFL drained it (battery was just 8 months old)., I unhooked the HFL, boosted the battery and the car drives and runs fine.
Problem is the Key FOB stopped working when the battery died and never worked since. I thought the Key fob battery may have also died so I swapped it - still no red light on the key fob. Then I ordered a new transmitter for the key fob and replaced the old one - same issue no key fob functionality and the red light on the key fob does not come on.

I can unlock the car and drive it using the key and if I lock the car with the key the alarm light inside the car blinks so it looks like its arming via the key itself.

I tried programming the key (lock/unlock from the ignition 4 times etc) and still no life on the key fob.

Since I only have 1 key fob I dont have the luxury of trying another one but Im not sure what happened here - if the transmitter was screwed then the new one should have taken care of that....and the key cant be faulty since the car still runs with it......

Anyone ran into this before...any ideas ?
Old 04-21-2020 | 01:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TypeAcura
Hi folks

Have a weird issue going on with my 07 TL.

Due to the COVID stuff - like an idiot I didnt drive my car for 2 weeks - the battery died probably because my HFL drained it (battery was just 8 months old)., I unhooked the HFL, boosted the battery and the car drives and runs fine.
Problem is the Key FOB stopped working when the battery died and never worked since. I thought the Key fob battery may have also died so I swapped it - still no red light on the key fob. Then I ordered a new transmitter for the key fob and replaced the old one - same issue no key fob functionality and the red light on the key fob does not come on.

I can unlock the car and drive it using the key and if I lock the car with the key the alarm light inside the car blinks so it looks like its arming via the key itself.

I tried programming the key (lock/unlock from the ignition 4 times etc) and still no life on the key fob.

Since I only have 1 key fob I dont have the luxury of trying another one but Im not sure what happened here - if the transmitter was screwed then the new one should have taken care of that....and the key cant be faulty since the car still runs with it......

Anyone ran into this before...any ideas ?
It's odd the key fob red light is not working on both fobs. Try another new battery.

Was your new key fob programmed by the dealer or a scanner?

Autozone has a fob transmitter tester you can try to see if it sees a signal from the fobs.
Old 04-26-2020 | 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by El_Cheapo
It's odd the key fob red light is not working on both fobs. Try another new battery.

Was your new key fob programmed by the dealer or a scanner?

Autozone has a fob transmitter tester you can try to see if it sees a signal from the fobs.
Yeah I tried 3 new batteries - same issue. The new transmitter also doesent work which is strange. I didnt get the programming done because the key hasnt changed - the dealer wants 120$ to program the transmitter but as long as the damn thing works I think the programming is pretty straight forward no?

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-556315/page2/
Old 04-27-2020 | 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TypeAcura
Yeah I tried 3 new batteries - same issue. The new transmitter also doesent work which is strange. I didnt get the programming done because the key hasnt changed - the dealer wants 120$ to program the transmitter but as long as the damn thing works I think the programming is pretty straight forward no?

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-556315/page2/
I didn't know you could do it manually. I've always just used a scanner since usually the immobilizer needs to be programmed.

Perhaps you received a dud. You should try testing the FOB to see if it's actually sending out a signal.
Old 06-03-2020 | 08:18 AM
Banned

Thanks ^^^

Just to update folks - ended up getting a new unit from the dealer and that worked....looks like they sold me a dud the first time around which is strange cos they claim ll of them are manufactured at the same facility.

Oh well all good !