High pitched whirring noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High pitched whirring noise on acceleration

Mods, before you read on, could you please leave this on the main page for a bit to get some exposure and then you can move it to the Problems & Fixes forum later? Thanks in advance!

OK, I now have 38,000 miles on my baby.

The car has been good to me thus far. I have gone through oil changes with synthetic oil according to the MID. I have done a ATF change at 25,000 miles. I believe I do everything that I need to do to keep her in tip top shape. The car performs just like it did day one except for one thing.

She recently has started to make a whirring noise when accelerating. This is a high pitch whistle type sound. My friend said that it almost sounds like a turbocharger although I have none. It's loudest at wide open throttle. It only happens on first and second gears. 3rd gear is less noticeable. Nonexistent on 4th and 5th.

Another strange thing is that when the engine is cold, when I accelerate slowly, the sound gets all choppy. Usually the sound goes abit like wwwwhhhhiiirrrrr....But when the engine is cold, it goes whir whir whir WHIR WHIR WHIR.....

Does anyone else have this issue? a quick second part to this question is, what is a valve adjustment and does this have anything to do with this noise?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro

i have the same excact problem but i dont know what it is and its not the really big of a deal so i jsut left it..but it only happens sometimes not everytime....
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro

I guess I don't really mind the sound too. My friends actually think it sounds pretty cool. They think I have a turbo or something.

Just don't want it to end up being a problem that I could have gotten fixed earlier.

Do you by any chance know what a valve adjustment is?

Please let me know if you find out what it is as I will if I find the cause.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:37 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
I guess I don't really mind the sound too. My friends actually think it sounds pretty cool. They think I have a turbo or something.

Just don't want it to end up being a problem that I could have gotten fixed earlier.

Do you by any chance know what a valve adjustment is?

Please let me know if you find out what it is as I will if I find the cause.

A "Valve Adjustment" has nothing to do with your simulated turbo :-).

The valve adjustment is in regards to the intake and exhaust valves within the cylinder head. As the overhead cam and valve train components wear your engine can start making a metallic "ticking" noise. The ticking can be remedied by said adjustment. Thus, your whistling is not associated in any way shape or form .

Didn't someone post that this is caused by the/an exhaust shield or associated hardware??

Cheers
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Instructor

Emf
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Pro

I'm sorry what does Emf stand for?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find the thread about the exhaust shield?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I have exactly the same thing, HuKaShI. It sounds like the transmission to me. I assumed it was normal and haven't worried about it. I have to call my service advisor about another issue soon, anyway, and I can ask about it...

I thought the exhaust shield being loose led to rattling....that happened on my old 1991 Honda Civic. Was fixed in no time at all.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro

Oh dear god I hope its not the transmission.

I was crapped on with a bad transmission in my accord last year.

I really hope its something else.

Keep me posted on your findings!

I'll let you know what I find. Unfortunately, I can't take the car in for a few weeks as I am going to be going away on business.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Pro

Can anyone else chime in on this?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
I have no suggestions but mine does the same thing. I just hit 1K. I never really thought about it till I read this thread. Let us know what your service advisor tells you Bob..
Old 10-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Hello,

I had the same issue with my 05 TL, the issue is now fixed. Please view this thread for more information:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/safe-eat-124115/

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nahmed
Hello,

I had the same issue with my 05 TL, the issue is now fixed. Please view this thread for more information:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124115

Thanks.
Thanks, nahmed.

Could you post up the work order for the fix?

I want to take it to the dealer when I go in to get it fixed.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

;)

Hello,

Let me dig the work order up for you and will send it you via email, please give me a day or two.

Thanks mate.

Thanks, nahmed.

Could you post up the work order for the fix?

I want to take it to the dealer when I go in to get it fixed.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
05 AT NAVI

Hey nahmed, do you think you could send me a copy of that work order too. I've had my TL for almost a month now (about 1000 miles), and after the first week, it was making this whirring/humming sound when accelerating... i dont know what it is, but its pissing me off... so im thinkin it might be the same thing as yours?? i'll prob take that w/ me to the dealer as well...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Hey Nahmed, do you think its possible for me to get that work order too. I just got the car back from the dealer and they said nothing was wrong and that it was a common sound for the car.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro

Hey Nahmed,

Any luck in finding the work order?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

;)

Hey mate,

Sorry about the delay, I was out of town for a couple of days. I will do this for you tonite.

Cheers.

Hey Nahmed,

Any luck in finding the work order?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
w1n78's work order...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=heat+shield
Old 11-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Hello Guys,

Sorry about this delay, will post my work order over this weekend.

Please accept my apologies for the delay.

Thanks.

NAA
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Pro

Well I just got back from the dealer and they took it out for a test drive.

The tech and the manager both heard the noise and said that I should bring the car back when they have a loaner available. I told them about the heat shield and the tech thought that was the problem. The manager however wanted to swap the wheels and take another test drive. He told me that he would try that first when I bring in the car next week. He thinks it could be the wheel bearings. I don't know what the problem could be anymore but I'm now convinced that my dealer will do everything to fix this issue.

So my next appt. is for tuesday. I will report back here after the issue has been resolved.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Hi HuKaShI,

The issue is not with the wheel bearings. This sounds comes from the front tires near shield that sits on top of the front discs. Its hard to describe, I will post my work order for you guys to see.

Thanks.

NAA

Well I just got back from the dealer and they took it out for a test drive.

The tech and the manager both heard the noise and said that I should bring the car back when they have a loaner available. I told them about the heat shield and the tech thought that was the problem. The manager however wanted to swap the wheels and take another test drive. He told me that he would try that first when I bring in the car next week. He thinks it could be the wheel bearings. I don't know what the problem could be anymore but I'm now convinced that my dealer will do everything to fix this issue.

So my next appt. is for tuesday. I will report back here after the issue has been resolved.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Hi HuKaShI,

*CORRECTION*

The issue is not with the wheel bearings. This sounds comes from the front tires near the shield/plate that sits on top of the front discs. Its hard to describe, I will post my work order for you guys to see.

Thanks.

NAA
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Instructor

please post the work order!!!

i have same problem and have an appt for next monday with acura dealer, i want to bring it in when it goes for the appt so there is some paperwork for them to follow!!

thanks in advance!!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro

Nahmed,

Its been more than three weeks now that you've said that you would post up that work order.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. It would be nice if you actually did what you said you would. We've all been waiting.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Guys,

I am so sorry, I have been so freakin busy with stuff. I will do it before I go to bed tonite, once again accept my apologies everyone.

Thanks for understanding.

NAA

Nahmed,

Its been more than three weeks now that you've said that you would post up that work order.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. It would be nice if you actually did what you said you would. We've all been waiting.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

nahmed were you going to post the work order on the forum or are you sending it to the people that request it? Just wandering, if you only sending to the people requesting, can you send it to me as well. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro

Well, my car is now at the dealer and they are working on it.

Before I left though, I talked to the tech that was going to be working on my car. He told me that they now believed the problem to be coming from the heat shield over the drive shaft. He said he would place an order for all the parts he needs and will have the car ready for pickup tomorrow. I took with me the work order from someone on this board. And no, it was not nahmed's.

From w1n78's post found here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=whistling

CUSTOMER REPORTED A WHISTLING TYPE NOISE FROM RIGHT FRONT AREA AT 2K TO 2500 RPM WHILE DRIVING

CAUSE: STRAIGHT TIME DIAGNOSE. INTERMIDIATE SHAFT BEARING COVER NOISEY
B OP CODE 219199 DEF.CODE 03214 STRAIGHT TIME

DIAGNOSE TO LOCATE MULTIPLE NOISES INCLUDING SEVERAL TEST DRIVE
556 W93
1 44517-SBD-A00 COVER, HEAT
4 90165-S5B-003 BOLT, FLANGE (8X24)

118108 BELT TENSIONER/PULLEY - REPLACE
556 W93
1 31170-RCA-A02 TENSIONER, AUTO

416170 FRONT STABILIZER BAR BUSHINGS AND/OR LINK - REPLACE
556 W93
1 51320-SDA-A05 LINK, R. FR.
1 51321-SDA-A05 LINK, L. FR.
It seems he will check on the other things on this list as well.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I WILL POST THE WORK ORDER WHEN I GET IT!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Guys,

Go to:

http://www.nabeelahmed.com/Acura/Acura_wo_1.jpg

http://www.nabeelahmed.com/Acura/Acura_wo_2.jpg

to see the work orders related to a fix for this problem.

Thanks.

NAA
Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro

Thanks for posting the work order nahmed.

I was wondering, was it the heat shield that was causing the issue or the catalytic converter?

Did they replace both? Did they do just the heat shield first and go for a test drive the catalytic converter first and go for a test drive?

Or did they do both and then go. They should have been able to pinpoint it to one item no?

Just curious.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Hello HuKAShi,

The sound was coming from the front tires. Near the front rotors at the back of each rotor there is a plate/heatshield that makes this nose while vibrating. They put some sealent or dampner in that area that got rid of this noise. They changed the catalytic converter and the heat shield neat the catalytic converter before however that did not help.

Thanks.

NAA

Thanks for posting the work order nahmed.

I was wondering, was it the heat shield that was causing the issue or the catalytic converter?

Did they replace both? Did they do just the heat shield first and go for a test drive the catalytic converter first and go for a test drive?

Or did they do both and then go. They should have been able to pinpoint it to one item no?

Just curious.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro

I have just gotten back from my dealer without my car.

They told me that they replaced the heat shield near the drive shaft and it didn't remedy the problem.

So tomorrow, they are going to look at the problem with "fresh eyes".

They first want to put on stock tires to see if it's my falkens that are causing this.

Any of you that had this problem, can you chime in on if you have the falken ZieX 512's?

Also, Nahmed, I know I'm asking for a bit much but can you post the work order for the actual fix for your issue? The one you mention above? I would like them to see the part about the damper near the wheels. Also, can you be alittle more specific on where and what needed to be done?

Did this happen during operation at all gears? Or mainly on first gear. I don't hear it after first gear. Maybe faintly on second gear but that's it.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out.

Please people help me out... Give me some suggestions that I can bring to the dealer so they can remedy this quickly. I miss my baby....
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

HuKaShI,

I would have to illustrate this with a diagram to better explain myself, near the front rotors at the back of each rotor there is a metal plate/shield that makes this noise, tell the technician to look for that plate and put some dampner so that plate does not vibrate.

I hope this helps, thanks.

NAA

I have just gotten back from my dealer without my car.

They told me that they replaced the heat shield near the drive shaft and it didn't remedy the problem.

So tomorrow, they are going to look at the problem with "fresh eyes".

They first want to put on stock tires to see if it's my falkens that are causing this.

Any of you that had this problem, can you chime in on if you have the falken ZieX 512's?

Also, Nahmed, I know I'm asking for a bit much but can you post the work order for the actual fix for your issue? The one you mention above? I would like them to see the part about the damper near the wheels. Also, can you be alittle more specific on where and what needed to be done?

Did this happen during operation at all gears? Or mainly on first gear. I don't hear it after first gear. Maybe faintly on second gear but that's it.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out.

Please people help me out... Give me some suggestions that I can bring to the dealer so they can remedy this quickly. I miss my baby....
Old 11-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro

Ok, so I got my car back.

The sound is still there.

Here is the thing though. They found out that my tires are giving me the trouble.
It seems that as the falkens wear, they get noisier. And then they even make noise when accelerating.

The procedure they tried was swapping my wheels out for stock wheels. They found that it made no noise whatsoever. I'm gonna take their word for it. I will get new tires soon anyway as the falken Ziex 512's are already almost down to the treadwear bars. Hopefully I'll get a brand new set of the falkens or switch over to the toyo proxes 4's.

But until then, I'll have to live with the sound.

I wonder if any others are having this issue with the falkens.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

Hi Guys,

I was also having this sound around 2-2500K. I got my car back this morning and it's all good. They said it was the heat-sheild resonating at a certain RPM range. If they simply releace it, that may not fix it. I will post the report as nahmed did earlier. It's in my car and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get it right now.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Instructor

LOOKING FOWARD TO SEEING YOUR REPORT SHEET, TRY TO PUT IT IN TONIGHT OR TOMORROW LATEST, I HAVE MY APPT MONDAY MORNING FOR SAME PROBLEM AND WANNA BRING YOU REPORT ALSO TO DEALER TO SHOW THEM!!

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

10-4
Old 11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Instructor

thanx!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Ok...

Here is what the service report says under "Labor & Parts":

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------WARRANTY

CUSTOMER STATES NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE
SQUEALING NOISE
DIAG AND ISOLATED TO HEATER SHIELD, TIGHTEND AND
REPOSITIONED HEAT SHIELD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats whats there... aside from the **FREE CAR WASH AND VACUUM**. Which I don't need cause the TL is kept 1337!

Hope that helps!!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Instructor

mine is going to the dealer tomorrow late afternoon, for tuesday to work on, so i will post results also when the car comes back....

ps- any good words i can use to get the RL as loaner, cause only had this 06 TL for less than 2 months and less than 2k miles??? spent lotta money on car to have it go back to dealer already for problem
Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Prolly not... we are sometimes lucky to get a TL as a loaner... they always give me some dirty car too, mostly a TSX with nothing in it... It's a bunch of crap that I am writing in about... on letterhead!

That's one of the selling points for Lexus... they almost always give you an upgrade to drive. Seems only smart to me.

Quick Reply: High pitched whirring noise on acceleration