High pitched whirring noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like AC compressor which can make a turbo type whining sound. also the serpentine belts in todays cars can make that whirring type sound by rotating so many pulleys at once. Turbos would be more noticably marked by the pop-off valve noise as it exhausts the excess pressure. That noise can almost scare you when a turbo car is very close to you and heavily accelerating.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:52 PM
NBP REPRESENT

The whineing noise that you hear during acceleration...is it while using the HFL?

if it is than it is a loose ground wire...If it happens when it is not on HFL..........................i duno
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Fixed the "clanking" "wirrrrling" "vibrating on metal" noise.

They re-adjusted the heatshield and noise stopped.

I'll post service thing if needed.

lusid
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Arm the " Laser "

Does anyone have the link to the TSB for the heatshield noise. I found it once on the forum but i've search and cant find it. Much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Never knew there was a TSB on this issue...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Arm the " Laser "

i found it! http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-026.PDF
Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 AM
ballin outta control

hey guys i have an 06 tl with about 28k miles and it makes the same exact noise u guys are describing, im sorry to say but i think this noise sounds like a looks bearing or something cuz it does it when im parked when i rev it, you can barley hear it but you can tell its there. what should i do, do you all think that they open up the motor if its still under warranty
Old 10-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
For what it's worth, mine has had a high pitched whining sound since day one with 6 miles on it. It's engine speed related and only noticable under light throttle. Now with 52K it's still there but barely noticable. I changed to Amsoil ATF which quieted it down a lot and now using Amsoil ATD. The fact that the transmission fluid quieted the noise tells me beyond a doubt that it's the transmission.

I didn't think anything of it because any 200-4R (like the one in my GN) makes the same sound in first gear and will go 100K miles. As long as it doesn't get louder I wouldn't worry about it. I do have an inline filter on the way since Acura only uses a screen just in case I do have some metal particles floating around. I can't believe there's no actual filter for this trans.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
02 TL Type-S

I have the same issue and looking for an answer to what this is, it does sound kinda cool when accelerating but my issue only happens between 55km/h and 60km/h
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been dealing with the same 'whining sound' for quite some time. The whining occurs during accleration and also as the car coasts, if you were to take your foot off the gas while coasting you'll hear a whining. Does anyone else have similar charactersitics?
When I called the deal a while back, they said was 'normal characteristics' of the car. I am not satisfied with that answer. I have an appointment to drop my car off tomorrow.
I've read on this thread a few different possibilities that you guys have related the sound too, I guess I'll mention all of them to the service writer and hope that it helps them figure it out.
Any additional help would be appreciated.
How many of you guys with this problem had the tranny replaced?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runninlow3
I have been dealing with the same 'whining sound' for quite some time. The whining occurs during accleration and also as the car coasts, if you were to take your foot off the gas while coasting you'll hear a whining. Does anyone else have similar charactersitics?
When I called the deal a while back, they said was 'normal characteristics' of the car. I am not satisfied with that answer. I have an appointment to drop my car off tomorrow.
I've read on this thread a few different possibilities that you guys have related the sound too, I guess I'll mention all of them to the service writer and hope that it helps them figure it out.
Any additional help would be appreciated.
How many of you guys with this problem had the tranny replaced?
My friend, you've basically summarized what I have been experiencing for the last few months. It's a bit of a nuisance, and it happens at random times.

I am also taking my '06 TL 5AT in tomorrow for a B1 service... I hope this noise will be resolved soon. For a $35k car, this should not be "normal".

I'll report back with any findings from the dealership...

FYI - I will be headed to our sponsor dealership as that is where I had purchased the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Unfortunatly, I had to reschedule my appointment for Monday. I'll keep you guys posted once I brign mine in Please let me know what your results are after you pick your car up.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM
all stocker

They just gave me a call, they didn't hear the high pitch noise that I've been hearing. Of course it has been on and off. With my luck, it didn't happen when they took it on 280.

They did find a nail in my rear tire... but it's covered under the warranty that we purchased. I didn't like the idea of added coverage, but at least it's paying off with this tire.

I had asked that they be careful and not damage the edge of the rim... let's see what happens.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Advanced

That sucks...how could they not hear it?
Well, I guess we'll see what my outcome is when I bring mine in on Monday.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Car is at the dealership now. Upon talking with the service writer, he did tell me that the 'whining' is a normal charactristic of the tranny which also exists on the MDX as well. He said that he has only had a few cars actually have a bad tranny.

Well, I guess we'll see what happens because I told that that I still wanted it looked at. I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced

Picked up my car yesterday evening. Spoke with the service manager, he told me there is nothing they can do regarding the 'whining'...it's normal. He reminded me that I have 5year/60,000mi warranty on the drivetrain. I stated that as long I was in here and they have it logged in to there system that I was concerend about the 'whine'. So, if something does happen, they'll see that I've been there previously regarding that.
They did however perform the wiper motor recall and replace the battery under warrranty which failed during there inspection tests.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
all stocker

Damn... I forgot about the wiper motor recall. I will wait until the next time I need to take it in... it's been tough finding time to drop it off.

My high pitch noise has been on and off. I haven't heard it in a couple weeks. So I didn't expect them to hear it.

It's disappointing to have to accept this as a characteristic of the tranny for a $35k vehicle.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
For what it's worth, mine has had a high pitched whining sound since day one with 6 miles on it. It's engine speed related and only noticable under light throttle. Now with 52K it's still there but barely noticable. I changed to Amsoil ATF which quieted it down a lot and now using Amsoil ATD. The fact that the transmission fluid quieted the noise tells me beyond a doubt that it's the transmission.

I didn't think anything of it because any 200-4R (like the one in my GN) makes the same sound in first gear and will go 100K miles. As long as it doesn't get louder I wouldn't worry about it. I do have an inline filter on the way since Acura only uses a screen just in case I do have some metal particles floating around. I can't believe there's no actual filter for this trans.
My 04 with 50k miles does the same thing. High pitched whirring noise under light throttle up to around 2,500 rpm regardless of which gear it is. Does not make this noise when cruising with gas pedal not pressed. It is quite annoying sometimes.

I did the 3x3 ATF flush with Acura ATF-Z1 about a month ago. Will it be worthwhile to change the ATF with Amsoil? What's the difference between Amsoil ATF and ATD. How much do they cost?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Scotch

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone been able to figure out what causes this problem?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by scottn3
Has anyone been able to figure out what causes this problem?
Most believe it's the heat shield.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the whine too.. I'm going to get it looked at this Saturday.. It's been around for a while and the ride of the car doesn't feel any different, but I don't recall hearing this for the first several years that I had the car...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed it occasionally on my 04 5AT TL. Last time it happened I played with the accelerator, and noticed it is correlated with that. If I let up on the accelerator, the whine goes down and vice versa. But it does fade after a short while.