Help! Lost all keys for my '05 3G Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help! Lost all keys for my '05 3G Acura TL

Hello All,

On Labor day I was at a BBQ and left my keys on the table. By the end of the night it was no where to be found. My friends and I have done many searches for them...I am starting to suspect someone may have take them.

So I called my local Autowest dealer in San Jose and they are saying the ONLY way I can have new sets of keys programmed and cut is by towing the car to them. Then they can cut and program me new key sets there. It'll cost $60 per key, and the programming is about $180. The keyless entry remote is another $114. That's about $350 to $400 + towing for new sets of key.

Are there any alternatives to this? I left my sunroof open and I can get into my car to get the owner's manual along with the code, navi code, etc.
Can they just cut me new keys if I provide them all the information about the car? Can a local locksmith cut me new keys?

I have read in the 2G TL posts where we can program our own key. Is possible with the 3G TL keys?

I also thought about getting the switchblade key and the guy I spoke on the phone with said they're completely different and that's not possible at all. (I know it is).

Any help is appreciated as to what my options are. I really don't want to tow my car there..but if I absolutely MUST, I will.

Thanks in advance for any type of advice or help.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
It's possible to program your own key.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
It's possible to program your own key.
So if I can get information on my keys and my VIN..take that to the dealer..would they be able to cut me my key and I'll program it myself?

Is programming the key the same as programming the key fob/ wireless transmitter?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

Is this an option?

Have the dealer cut me my key. I will then bring the key + new immobilizer home and program it myself?

I am confused what needs to be programmed? The key or the immobilizer?
The following users liked this post:
miamiboy48 (10-18-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont think you can program the key yourself, it has a chip inside that they use a device to program it or program it into your car. What you can program is the remote yourself.

All your keys? Even the valet key?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
I dont think you can program the key yourself, it has a chip inside that they use a device to program it or program it into your car. What you can program is the remote yourself.

All your keys? Even the valet key?
When I bought the car I only got 1 set of key/remote. No valet key unless that's in the car somewhere?
I am really careful and knew I should have made a copy. I understand. Don't flame me for that.

So it looks like I really do have to tow the car to the dealer huh? If I must, I would want the switchblade key.. The guy on the phone is saying they are not able to do that. Strange!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Sorry, I assumed that "programming key" meant programming the remote. I have the switchblade key so....my key = remote as well. Anyways, here's a link for a DIY guide for switchblade keys and programming the remote transmitter:

Switchblade key - https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/diy-guide-tl-switchblade-key-60-photos-671520/

Programming remote transmitter - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/programming-remote-transmitter-keyfob-3g-garage-l-079-a-556315/

And yes, I think you would have to tow your car. Best of luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Originally Posted by vqt1988
When I bought the car I only got 1 set of key/remote. No valet key unless that's in the car somewhere?
I am really careful and knew I should have made a copy. I understand. Don't flame me for that.

So it looks like I really do have to tow the car to the dealer huh? If I must, I would want the switchblade key.. The guy on the phone is saying they are not able to do that. Strange!
The dealer won't be able to provide the switchblade for your car. The switchblade are lasercut not for the 05 TL. There are vendors on this site that sell the premilled switchblade, basically blank key and you have to get them cut and programmed. Or you can buy a switchblade at the dealer or ebay..etc and get it milled and then cut and programed. There might even be premilled ones already on ebay..not sure. You can save some $$$ and find a remote on ebay for way less then what the dealer is selling it.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Try calling anohter Acura dealership and see if they say the same thing. I would assume they can pull up the key cut spec by the vin or some information somehwere on the car.

Saved you some money!!

Not sure if it is for memory 1 or 2.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-ACURA-...ce41e2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURA-OEM-FA...503b72&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Tonywp75; 09-06-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
OP you can buy the key and have the dealer cut it and program it for you but it gona take days, I would just let the dealer do the first key then you can buy switch blade key or whatever you like and have dealer program later. Yes you do have to tow your car into a Acura dealer.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
I need to get another key made for mine before this happens to me too
Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
So I called my local Autowest dealer in San Jose and they are saying the ONLY way I can have new sets of keys programmed and cut is by towing the car to them. Then they can cut and program me new key sets there. It'll cost $60 per key, and the programming is about $180. The keyless entry remote is another $114. That's about $350 to $400 + towing for new sets of key.

Are there any alternatives to this?
Call a locksmith and explain what you want to get a quote-- some of them have the ability to program transponders as well as cut keys.

So if I can get information on my keys and my VIN..take that to the dealer..would they be able to cut me my key and I'll program it myself?
Normally, each new owner is given a set of 3 keys along with a tag that has a key cut code-- if you lose the keys, you tell the dealer the code on that tag and the dealership can prep a new key for you without bringing in the car.

Look for the tag in your paperwork or in the owner's manual holder.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Call a locksmith and explain what you want to get a quote-- some of them have the ability to program transponders as well as cut keys.

Normally, each new owner is given a set of 3 keys along with a tag that has a key cut code-- if you lose the keys, you tell the dealer the code on that tag and the dealership can prep a new key for you without bringing in the car.

Look for the tag in your paperwork or in the owner's manual holder.
I can get the key tag. Because I remember seeing it before. Darn the tow guy is on his way now...But how will they be able to program the key without the car there?

I figured this method can be used when I order the switchblade key as my 3rd.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GeeteeDan
I need to get another key made for mine before this happens to me too
DO it man..some locksmiths can make it for $60.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
Try calling anohter Acura dealership and see if they say the same thing. I would assume they can pull up the key cut spec by the vin or some information somehwere on the car.

Saved you some money!!

Not sure if it is for memory 1 or 2.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-ACURA-...ce41e2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURA-OEM-FA...503b72&vxp=mtr
Thanks. I'll be buying the wireless remotes online and program them myself.

I'll also buy one switchblade key because it's cool
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
My dealer cut my key using my VIN which I provided over the phone.

Then I picked up the key all cut and ready.

Tried to open the door with the key... works.
Tried starting the car... didn't start up.

The immobilizer has to be programmed, thats why.

You'll need to get your car to a dealer or someone who has the immobilizer program (a machine that costs thousands and thousands).

Fact is, your car is getting towed.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Im guessing you got your car used.

If you got the car new, you get 3 keys. 2 master keys, 2 remotes, and a valet key. the valet key has all-gray, rather than black, key fob. plus the Acura logo is etched and is the same color as the rest of the key fob vesus a stuck on emblem on the master keys.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
guitarplayer is 100% right.

You can get a ket cut to your car, yes. It will open the doors and whatnot but will not start the car (you'll hear it trying and trying and but it wont fire up). This is because the key has a chip inside that needs to be programmed to the car. The programming part takes like 20 minutes and most dealers will only charge you for 1 hour of time.

My advice, buy an uncut regular key online, like ebay or whatever. Tow the car and take the key to the dealer and have them program it. Should cost you less than 150$ total (50$ for key, 100 for 1 hour of labor) plus towing.

If you want a switchblade key, heeltoeauto offers that but there are vendors on ebay as well. They require you to mail them your key so they can cut it to the same spec and they even offer programming services (duplicate the key) but that would obviously require you having 1 key first.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by quanaman
guitarplayer is 100% right.

You can get a ket cut to your car, yes. It will open the doors and whatnot but will not start the car (you'll hear it trying and trying and but it wont fire up). This is because the key has a chip inside that needs to be programmed to the car. The programming part takes like 20 minutes and most dealers will only charge you for 1 hour of time.

My advice, buy an uncut regular key online, like ebay or whatever. Tow the car and take the key to the dealer and have them program it. Should cost you less than 150$ total (50$ for key, 100 for 1 hour of labor) plus towing.

If you want a switchblade key, heeltoeauto offers that but there are vendors on ebay as well. They require you to mail them your key so they can cut it to the same spec and they even offer programming services (duplicate the key) but that would obviously require you having 1 key first.
I called up my experienced locksmith guy. It's great to know some connected people in the auto industry.

We opened my car, I got the key code and he cut and programmed me 2 new keys for $210. The only downside is that the keys don't have the cool A letter on them and are not as fat. Also, I have to push in a bit to turn the ignition on. All works now!

How much does it usually cost to have the switchblade key cut and programmed if I send in one of my keys to either eBay or HeelToe?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Got mine for 150$ from a seller on eBay. I mailed him my key and he removed the transponder (chip inside) and put it in the new switchblade which he also cut to fit.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I called up my experienced locksmith guy...
We opened my car, I got the key code and he cut and programmed me 2 new keys for $210.
Yes, people forget that [the better] locksmiths have the ability to program transponders just like dealers do.

Glad you got the key code tag along with your paperwork-- it just makes things easier for everyone when keys are lost.