Heated mirrors acting strange!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Heated mirrors acting strange!

Hi guys, was wondering is one of you had this symptom.

My tilting mirrors are working great when I put my Trans in reverse...

PROBLEM:
When my mirror switch is set on ONE of both mirrors and I push the heated switch, my mirrors are acting like I was in reverse mode and never stops tilting, as if they could make a complet turn....

So when I need to heat my mirrors I have to put the switch OFF and then press the button....

Any body had this problem?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Same thing happens to me. I turned the heater on, then got into reverse, then drive, but the mirror kept twitching. So I just turned the rocker switch to the middle and it was fine.

I guess it's normal? I don't really get bothered too much by it.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would start off by removing the mirror switch and the coupler off the back of it. Check the coupler for frayed wires or bent pins in the mirror switch socket itself. If that all ends up being ok then I would try replacing the mirror switch itself. There are 3 sliding contacts in the switch assembly, one of the contacts could be shorting out sending a false down signal to the power mirror control unit. Verification of the switch assembly itself can be done but it will require a DMM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

This exact same thing happened to me just two days ago after our first snow here in Logan.

I discovered that it's not something faulty with the mirror- rather, if you look closely, you will notice that where the memory buttons are (1, 2, Memo) on your driver's side door, the one you designated for your keyfob isn't lit up).

For me it was that the memory had simply kept thinking I had set my mirror differently, so it kept trying to move it all crazy like I was going in reverse.

All I did to fix it was fix the mirror manually, hit the memory button and the number that corresponds to my keyfob. Done and done.

Hopefully that works for you so you don't have to take your mirror apart.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
This exact same thing happened to me just two days ago after our first snow here in Logan.

I discovered that it's not something faulty with the mirror- rather, if you look closely, you will notice that where the memory buttons are (1, 2, Memo) on your driver's side door, the one you designated for your keyfob isn't lit up).

For me it was that the memory had simply kept thinking I had set my mirror differently, so it kept trying to move it all crazy like I was going in reverse.

All I did to fix it was fix the mirror manually, hit the memory button and the number that corresponds to my keyfob. Done and done.

Did that more then once, I guess I'll have to check this out when I'll have some time

THanks for the advice guys!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you're still under warranty, maybe you can take it to the stealership?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 AM
"Advance"

^^Unfortunatly it's an 04 with 190k Kilometers - I installed a MacMini in this car, I guess I'll be able to find out what the electrical problem is

I'll post it here when ever I find out . I'll be using the heated mirrors for the next few months since the first snow storm is coming tomorow night in the Quebec area!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Just two things:

1. I do find it weird that it started acting up only recently, having left the mirror heater engaged even after I leave the car (it's not turned on, of course, since the car is sitting in my parking lot overnight and stuff). Then again, I have used the mirror heater before and this is the first time it's given me this problem. I do find the timing a bit uncanny, though.

2. When I said I fixed the mirror manually, I mean that I flipped it to the side the goofy-acting mirror was on (in my case, to the left side) and adjusted the mirror like that, and then I set it into the memory.

I hope you get it fixed before your storm! We've been getting slammed here and I know how you feel there in Quebec. Definitely post back to let us know what you find.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG

My 07 TL mirrors have done these similar strange things when the car is left sitting outside overnight in cold weather between 20 - 32 degrees. Its as if the memory malfunctions. Once the car interior warms up, the problems are few and far between