Fixed Misfire Cylinder 5, days later I have Misfire Cylinder 2!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed Misfire Cylinder 5, days later I have Misfire Cylinder 2!

I'm trying to fix this car so it's in great condition. Base with navigation 2006 TL. It has ~170,000 miles. It just had the full water pump/timing belt service done after a leaky pump sent it in to the dealership for repairs.

Not sure if it's related, but it had an intermittent engine light a couple years ago for a faulty catalytic converter (#3 I think). It was intermittent for a couple years. But that cleared up on it's own without being replaced. I have no clue why. The trouble code does not come up any longer when checked.

So I had an engine light on for a few weeks before the recent service. Got it back and put it on my OBD2 computer. It said it had a misfire in cylinder #5 (PO305). I replaced the spark plug and ignition coil. Car drove flawless for 3-4 days! Problem solved, or so I thought so I cleared the code and engine light. Drove great for a few days and around 125 miles.

So I go to start it this morning and it starts rough and idles rough. Engine light blinks in the garage and comes on solid while I'm driving. I get home tonight and hook it up again to the diagnostic unit. NOW it shows a misfire in cylinder #2... The code was P0302.

So what to do? Just keep chasing this misfire and replace ignition coils and plugs? Or could this be caused by something else like the computer or injectors? Is it odd that after changing coil/plug in #5 that it would be so super smooth, just to have it happen in another cylinder a few days later?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:30 PM
10th Gear

And if I'm going to replace an ignition coil again, which is better? A new aftermarket one or a used OEM from eBay? The price difference is substantial. Used OEM are $10 each, aftermarket new are $25-$35, and new OEM are $125.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 AM
10th Gear

Friend at work thinks the misfire codes have to do with the early catalytic converter errors. He thinks old or bad oxygen sensors can cause a misfire via the fuel injectors, assuming the cat isn't bad itself.

Is this a problem best left for the dealer? I plan to sell this car in the next month. I don't want to spend any more than I have to at this point, but I doubt it'll sell for nearly as much with the engine light on. And it's in very nice condition. This is the last and only problem that needs fixing, and it'll be a damn nice car again.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
A few comments in no particular order:
  • A bad cat is definitely in play as the cause; it is pretty rare they fix themselves.
  • Ignition coils, when they go bad, are often misdiagnosed by the OBD-II system regarding which specific coil is bad. It isn't at all unusual the have a bad coil, and yet have the system diagnose one, two, or even three other coils as being bad.
  • The only real way to diagnose a coil is to disable one coil at a time and track the problem manually. When you disable the coil which is bad the engine won't run even worse than it was before the coil was disabled.
  • OEM coils are widely reported as being the best; Denso are also considered as good (and if I recall correctly, may also be the OEM part without the Honda name on them).
Old 04-23-2018, 11:38 AM
10th Gear

Is it safe to unplug the coil pack wiring harness one at a time with the car running? Or does it require a shut down/restart each time to check if it runs any worse or the same with individual coil packs disabled?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
keep the car running. unplug coil pack one at a time. engine note should change upon disconnecting coil pack connection. if engine note does not change...there's your bad coilpack
Old 04-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
+1 on OEM coil per horsie. Sounds like a dead coil pack so follow Justin's troubleshooting by disconnecting one at a time.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

Went out for the morning. Got in the car to drive home and it started up again super smooth, engine light was off. What gives? I guess I’ll start pulling the wire harnesses off the coil packs one at a time once it goes back to a rough idle with the engine light on.

Now that I have a plan, it corrects its problem!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
A few comments in no particular order:
  • A bad cat is definitely in play as the cause; it is pretty rare they fix themselves.
  • Ignition coils, when they go bad, are often misdiagnosed by the OBD-II system regarding which specific coil is bad. It isn't at all unusual the have a bad coil, and yet have the system diagnose one, two, or even three other coils as being bad.
  • The only real way to diagnose a coil is to disable one coil at a time and track the problem manually. When you disable the coil which is bad the engine won't run even worse than it was before the coil was disabled.
  • OEM coils are widely reported as being the best; Denso are also considered as good (and if I recall correctly, may also be the OEM part without the Honda name on them).

OEM part supplier is Hitachi, Denso is a upgrade IMO as they are OEM ignition parts for Toyota/Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
OEM part supplier is Hitachi, Denso is a upgrade IMO as they are OEM ignition parts for Toyota/Lexus.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Was the #5 plug loose when you changed it out?

#2 and #5 plugs are notorious for coming loose. I'm guessing the shop pulled the plugs to hand crank the engine when they replaced the TB. Maybe they didn't get them torqued back sufficiently?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Was the #5 plug loose when you changed it out?

#2 and #5 plugs are notorious for coming loose. I'm guessing the shop pulled the plugs to hand crank the engine when they replaced the TB. Maybe they didn't get them torqued back sufficiently?
No. It was installed properly. The engine light came back on after a few days. And again, it indicates a misfire in #2 as it showed after replacing the coil pack & plug in #5. So I ordered another coil pack and will see if it fixes the problem or if it just jumps to a different cylinder again.

Still in the back of my mind the couple year old catalytic converter engine code is part of the problem. If I remember correctly, it was specifically a code for cat #3.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
cat#3 doesnt have any sensors on it.

so it was the primary cats...either bank 1 or bank 2.