First post ever but it's for a good reason, I need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First post ever but it's for a good reason, I need help

This is my first post ever so here goes...I own a 2007 Acura TL Type-S and on Saturday August 8, I was experiencing a problem with my car. While accelerating onto the expressway my car would not shift out of second gear, now let me say that I fully understand how my sport shifter works but that was the thing, I did not have the car in the sport shift mode while this was happening. Within the 2 years I have owned the car this problem has happened maybe 3 or 4 times. Every time I’ve called the dealership and they say that it was because I was driving up a hill and that the car is suppose to hold a higher rpm and that once the car gets past the hill it will go back to normal (they had some term for this but I can’t remember it). Now I find this interesting because every time it has happened to me, I have been accelerating at a normal pace driving on a flat, straight road. The car never shifts into 3rd gear but only continues to bounces off the rev-limiter. Once I slow the car back down to 1st gear, it will reset its self and everything with the car will be fine, it can be quite a panic for me while driving. Now because of the response I’ve been getting from Acura of Brookfield, on Saturday when this problem occurred I decided to video tape my cars rpm and mph with my phone, as you can see, when I switch back and forth from automatic to the sport shift mode the car remains in 2nd gear, I even tried to shift the car into 3rd but nothing happens, not the best video quality but it shows my point. Since then, Acura of Brookfield has asked me to bring in my car and show a technician the problem, the problem is that (as stated on top) it has only happened maybe 3 or 4 times in 2 years. At this point I really don’t know where to go with this anymore. Do I live with this problem and hope that it doesn’t get worse and some day blows my motor? Do I go to Acura of Brookfield once a week for the next year, pick up a technician and drive around with him for a while hoping it happens again? Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teg_FlRTyS8
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
They just can't go off the video? Oh and welcome to AZ
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Transmission pressure switches?
See https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/110-diy-guide-replacing-3rd-4th-gear-pressure-switch-3g-tl-2004-2006-a-729149/.

G/L; hope the problem gets resolved!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Could be a few different things.. you're in limp mode so the first thing to do is check for a code. Hook up an OBDII reader and see if any codes pop up. The term you were thinking of is "gradelogic".. A couple of members have discussed similar symptoms of going in limp mode and it was related to a faulty APP sensor but I believe they had CEL & VSA lights.. do you?

You're under warranty so I wouldn't worry about it.. Take it in and have them fix it, don't take it back until they do.. show them the vid for reference.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Could be a few different things.. you're in limp mode so the first thing to do is check for a code. Hook up an OBDII reader and see if any codes pop up. The term you were thinking of is "gradelogic".. A couple of members have discussed similar symptoms of going in limp mode and it was related to a faulty APP sensor but I believe they had CEL & VSA lights.. do you?
IDK if limp mode allows the TL to redline the engine. There didn't seem to be any CEL in the gauge cluster, and the problem was intermittent.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y.
IDK if limp mode allows the TL to redline the engine. There didn't seem to be any CEL in the gauge cluster, and the problem was intermittent.
you're right.. it's like 3k.. my bad..
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM

OP should PM one of the Acura techs like Racinghart03, Acuratech239, or 240sx acura tech.. They may have seen similar cases.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into those ideas
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experienced the EXACT same situation on one occassion with my 2008 Type-S with around 7000 miles. As long as the car is still under warranty I am not going to worry about it. I am curious to see what your dealer finds.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Update, contacted Acura Corporate (by mail, i guess they don't have computers or e-mail?) waiting to hear back from them, contacted my Service Manager, he is going to make some calls to the Factory Reps and contact engineering.........I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

My 2008 TL-S is doing the exact same thing (hitting the limiter and getting stuck in gear).

I took it into the dealership this morning and I am waiting to hear the fix. Ill let you know what they find.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

Taking my car to the dealership tomorrow, talked with the service/parts manager today, he said that he has never heard of this problem before on a TL (only on a BMW). He thinks that there might be something wrong with my shift lever indicator, that this is why my car gets stuck in 2nd gear. I'll keep you posted
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

I dropped my car off Friday and they had two techs drive the car and they did see the problem.

they put in a call to tech supportand were going to wait for a call back. I told them the car needed an oil change too so to so it in the meantime. the funny thing is that when I picked up my car Friday night because tech support still had not called back(they told me to come back Monday) the problem was now gone!.

They claim all they did was the oil change but I can't see how that solved the problem.

Then this morning I was told that tech support called back and they want me to put the stock intake back on the car in order to see it that is the problem. (BS)

Since the problem is now gone I'm gonna keep my eye on it and if it comes back I'll put the stock airbox back on the car and drop it off again. (BTW I have an AEM CAI I cant see how that would cause the tranny to stic kin gear)

Last edited by theakman; 08-18-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theakman
I dropped my car off Friday and they had two techs drive the car and they did see the problem.

they put in a call to tech supportand were going to wait for a call back. I told them the car needed an oil change too so to so it in the meantime. the funny thing is that when I picked up my car Friday night because tech support still had not called back(they told me to come back Monday) the problem was now gone!.

They claim all they did was the oil change but I can't see how that solved the problem.

Then this morning I was told that tech support called back and they want me to put the stock intake back on the car in order to see it that is the problem. (BS)

Since the problem is now gone I'm gonna keep my eye on it and if it comes back I'll put the stock airbox back on the car and drop it off again. (BTW I have an AEM CAI I cant see how that would cause the tranny to stic kin gear)
That is certainly not why your problem is happening. Some dealerships I think use aftermarket parts as a way to stick the problem back on you. I can see in some cases when the part would cause a failure, but in this case that is not right. If this problem is coming and going like Brett's car then I am sure it just stopped happening for the time being. I am sure it will return if the dealer didn't do anything.

We will be putting a call in this morning on Bretts car to techline and seeing if they have heard anything. I don't know why techline wouldn't call back, that also seems strange to me. Our techs just wait on hold until they pickup.

Brett told me about this thread on here, so we will see what we can find today on his car. I watched the video on my phone since YouTube is blocked on our computers so I have seen it happen now. I will make sure to post what we do for you guys to see and I will obviously let Brett know about it as well for him to post. When we call in to techline, I will make sure they see the video as well so they see what is happening.

-Colin Fiedler (Service Advisor that wrote Brett up)