Creaking noise when steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noise when steering

There is creaking noise come from the front when I steer the car especially when the car is stopped. However, sometimes the noise is there and sometimes it's gone. I took the car to acura dealer and ask them to check the problem, but the car didn't make the noise at the dealer. They said they can't do anything if the problem is not constant. I searched some post said it's the power steering and some indicated the cv joint. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM
TL Nub

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the sound. Creaking sounds like more of a CV issue. When my power steering pump went out on my 05 TL, it sounded like an R/C car.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (04-16-2021)
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks a lot. Seems like i need to wait until the car making the noise constantly and go to the stealer again.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
its the power steering rack binding on the inside.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Instructor

is it when the car is cold, your car making the Creaking noise?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black6.3
There is creaking noise come from the front when I steer the car especially when the car is stopped. However, sometimes the noise is there and sometimes it's gone. I took the car to acura dealer and ask them to check the problem, but the car didn't make the noise at the dealer. They said they can't do anything if the problem is not constant. I searched some post said it's the power steering and some indicated the cv joint. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
I'm having a problem similar to yours. Does it make your steering wheel a little tight sometimes too?
Smooth_22z (03-31-2022)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deepblue626
This thread caught my attention...my 05 has the creaking noise also, but only when it's cold out. And it only happens from a dead stop.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
it sounds like most of the people posting have different types of creaking noises.

black6.3 - put the car in drive and pull up the e-brake and make sure the car doesn't move. pop your hood, roll down the driver window and stick your hand on the steering wheel and move it left and right. if that starts to give u a repeatable creaking sound coming from the passenger side where the serpentine belt is it's probably the tensioner pulley.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by deepblue626
It's kind of opposite, I only heard the creaking when the car has been running for a while.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lylen
I'm having a problem similar to yours. Does it make your steering wheel a little tight sometimes too?
I feel the steering wheel always the same. Although my friend said the wheel is tighter than his civic, I think it should be normal.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wasupdog
it sounds like most of the people posting have different types of creaking noises.

black6.3 - put the car in drive and pull up the e-brake and make sure the car doesn't move. pop your hood, roll down the driver window and stick your hand on the steering wheel and move it left and right. if that starts to give u a repeatable creaking sound coming from the passenger side where the serpentine belt is it's probably the tensioner pulley.
Thanks for the detailed info. I have found the tensioner problem before and replaced it. The creaking noise is associated with the steering system.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 240sx acura tech
Can you give me more information? How does the binding make that noise. Is it covered under warranty? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by black6.3
Can you give me more information? How does the binding make that noise. Is it covered under warranty? Thanks.
yes. its warranty.its more of a metal on metal click or bang. and you can feel it in the wheel. the onky other thinfg it can be are the sway bar end lings. you can here that by opening the front door and jump up and down on the lower door seal. where the gas fill opener is.
jbaraka (02-13-2012)
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

My TL makes a noise when I turn the steering wheel back and forth. It only happens in the morning when its cold. After it warms up, it stops. Is this the power steering pump? A friend of mine had the same issue on his 06 TL and had to have the rack and pinion steering fixed - $1400 repair!!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Appreciate your answer. I will check the car as you said right away
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
7th Gear

2007 TLs. I'm getting the same creaking noise when stopped or at very low speeds. The creaking is getting worse and is especially bad when cold out. I had a bad power steering hose but fixed it immediately. The system wasn't low on fluid for long. The problem started after that. It seems from what I'm reading that it's the rack binding on the inside. I suspected that when I heard it but I'm in denial because of the cost of such a repair. I'm out of warranty! I will take it in again and update my experience. Acura was kind enough to good will the hose because it's a known issue on 3G tl's, maybe they will help with this since the two problems are related. We will see.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
7th Gear

Creaking from steering.

Originally Posted by 240sx acura tech
Do you think Acura will good will the rack if they good willed the power steering hose?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So here is the problem I had. If it's cold outside and the car is cold, when I accelerate with the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, the car will make a metal clicking noise. It goes away 5 minutes later. I had both of my CV joints replaced under powertrain warrtanty last weekend. Seems like very common issue. My TL only has 65k miles.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
I posted a few weeks back about this same issue. This started when the weather got cold; Dec time frame. Low speed, turning the steering wheel left to right. My mech mention the rack is binding possibly, because my car has been lowered for years. My car is out of warranty, so I would have to replace the rack and pinion steering. I would hate to have to shell out over a grand for it though. If so, I would replace it for the Type-S.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/creaking-noise-while-turning-steering-wheel-843136/
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
7th Gear

Well. It's what I feared! The Rack and Pinion Steering assembly was binding on the inside as 240sx Acura tech said. I have 87k miles on my 2007 TypeS. My dealership has a good reputation for customer service, and with the local Acura Rep. They were able to obtain half the cost from Acura. The replacement is $1600 installed. I ended up paying $800. That doesn't hurt as bad. Still a lot of money, but at least it's fixed. Feels great too. They did a great job putting it all back together, and they aligned it perfectly. The front end feels tight and secure. I Read the previous post referring to the CV joint, but my problem had different tell tale signs. It wasn't creaking in only one direction or the other. It was creaking in both directions, and you will know it's the rack, because it only gets worse. It gets to the point that you hear the creaking almost all the time when turning at low speeds, and it gets louder. You feel it in the steering wheel as if it's coming from the steering column.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jbaraka
Well. It's what I feared! The Rack and Pinion Steering assembly was binding on the inside as 240sx Acura tech said. I have 87k miles on my 2007 TypeS. My dealership has a good reputation for customer service, and with the local Acura Rep. They were able to obtain half the cost from Acura. The replacement is $1600 installed. I ended up paying $800. That doesn't hurt as bad. Still a lot of money, but at least it's fixed. Feels great too. They did a great job putting it all back together, and they aligned it perfectly. The front end feels tight and secure. I Read the previous post referring to the CV joint, but my problem had different tell tale signs. It wasn't creaking in only one direction or the other. It was creaking in both directions, and you will know it's the rack, because it only gets worse. It gets to the point that you hear the creaking almost all the time when turning at low speeds, and it gets louder. You feel it in the steering wheel as if it's coming from the steering column.
Hey there, sorry to be reviving a thread from 9 years ago, but after so much researching and trying to figure out whats wrong with my car, you have the most relevant and relatable post.

When you had this issue, did you have a creaking noise that sounded like walking on old hardwood floors?

I have this issue turning the steering wheel in both directions while stopped or while travelling at low speeds. I keep reading that it could be the strut mount, or the cv joints, or the rack and pinion but I don't want to go changing everything just to narrow it down to what the problem might be.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced

I'm having the same sound, and I'm leaning towards the strut top hats.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

After some thought, I'm leaning towards the strut mounts also.
I've purchased the quick strut assembly and will be replacing this later next week, along with the stabilizer link bar.
Fingers crossed, that solves the problem!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by WillItBlend?
Hey there, sorry to be reviving a thread from 9 years ago, but after so much researching and trying to figure out whats wrong with my car, you have the most relevant and relatable post.

When you had this issue, did you have a creaking noise that sounded like walking on old hardwood floors?

I have this issue turning the steering wheel in both directions while stopped or while travelling at low speeds. I keep reading that it could be the strut mount, or the cv joints, or the rack and pinion but I don't want to go changing everything just to narrow it down to what the problem might be.
Hey man. I’m having the exact same issue with my 07 tl type s. I thought a shop had tampered with my car after getting a rim repaired and a wheel balanced, but after reading all those posts I’m starting to think it’s just a common issue. The sound that I’m getting is a power steering wine whenever I turn the wheel but I’m also getting a clunking sound from beneath my car. I immediately thought that it was my rack and pinion because I remember reading that it was a common issue, but I’m also still getting the noise from the power steering pump. Would the rack make a noise from the pump?... and would the pump have anything to do with that clicking sound? OP said it ended up being the rack... what I’m wondering is if changing that would get rid of the power steering sound. I’m lost confused and upset because upon dropping my car off to get fixed I never had this sound. I was thinking worst case scenarios like the shop going for a joy ride or the car falling off a jack, but maybe it was all just a coincidence? I’m not sure. Anyways any information is helpful, thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

I’m currently driving my 04 TL with 220000 miles. This god awful noise happens when I am at low speeds or stopped and turn the wheel. I’ve read a lot about this issue. But I am trying to rule out the Rack and Pinion because of the cost. Ball joints? Anything helps.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lylen
Seems like mine is a little more stiffer to turn. Did you ever figure out what was the issue?
Old 04-18-2022, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
does it sound like a ghost walking on a wood floor?
Old 04-19-2022, 04:44 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
does it sound like a ghost walking on a wood floor?
lol no, more like a squeegee slowly dragged on glass?
Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Smooth_22z
lol no, more like a squeegee slowly dragged on glass?
that sounds like a fart.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:22 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
that sounds like a fart.
iono what kinda farts you be having but let it rip far from me