crackling noise from above passenger's head

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crackling noise from above passenger's head

Hey guys, this is another rattle/crackle I have coming from above the head of the front passenger's side. I put arrows where I think teh noise is coming from...

It could be these two places (including the handle), or the bar in between the front and rear windows of the car.

I had this pyscho retired ex-cop bang his hand on the side/roof of my car for which I had the dent popped out. And ever since then, this has been happening and it is getting so annoying!!

I guess when tehy repaired the dent they didn't seal up that area properly or left some of the filling out.

Has anyone ever taken this area down themselves? Any suggetsions on how I can fix this?

Acura has tried twice and failed so I ask u.

check out the pic:

Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TL Blue,
The underside of the headliner is a plastic material. It tends to squeak, pop, and crackle from making contact with the metal roof structure. The only way to resolve it completely is to insulate the headliner material from the metal roof. Acura installed several small pieces of felt from the factory but they are insufficient. Most likely when they fixed your dent they removed a key piece thus allowed the headliner to make contact etc.

Your dealership will take the easy road on this.. If you want to get rid of it completely, do like I(or have someone do it for ya). Pull down the entire front portion of the headliner from above each front side window all around the front/side of the sunroof. Basically from seatbelt pillar to seatbelt pillar.

You can use many different products but I used a thin felt/cotton fabric cut to the exact shape of the headliner. Carefully placed it between the headliner and roof structure to ensure they no longer contacted each other. Re-installed headliner.

Whole process took me about an hour. Hardest part was keeping my hands clean of sweat etc. as to not dirty up the headliner (it was about 100 degrees out when I performed the fix ). Basically, just removed both side front grab handles, front windshield pillar covers, both sun visors, the center overhead console, and about 6-8 snap/clips that hold the headliner around the sides/front of the sunroof.
Its been well over a year and the noises from the headliner area are completely and I mean 100% gone, period. Like yours, mine was crackling from certain areas but covering the entire front eliminated current and all future issues. My TL is also an 04 model thus if yours is newer Acura may have started using more felt than in the 04, thus you may not need to go to my extreme.

Good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 AM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TL_BLUE
Hey guys, this is another rattle/crackle I have coming from above the head of the front passenger's side. I put arrows where I think teh noise is coming from...

It could be these two places (including the handle), or the bar in between the front and rear windows of the car.

I had this pyscho retired ex-cop bang his hand on the side/roof of my car for which I had the dent popped out. And ever since then, this has been happening and it is getting so annoying!!

I guess when tehy repaired the dent they didn't seal up that area properly or left some of the filling out.

Has anyone ever taken this area down themselves? Any suggetsions on how I can fix this?

Acura has tried twice and failed so I ask u.

check out the pic:

Hey. i just replied to ur door handle thingy. i think it's my possible solution #1 there. apply armor-all to all door and window rubber seals including the tiny one between the door frame and the glass on the outside.

you can lightly fist beat/finger push on the upper door frame while someone sitting inside to verify if that's the case before and after.

things samll like these could drive people insane. hope this helps.