Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by gvernet
did anyone already tried the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety) and reported this problem yet? the # is 1-888-327-4236. just an FYI. hope this can help out.
I did the online form, as many are doing (do a search on their site).

Here's the link for posting a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

As I posted before on another dash thread, I feel this is a safety issue, not cosmetic. The dash material is drying out, making it brittle. My concern is if the airbag was to activate, would the dash break and not rip apart, and possible send shards of dash towards the passenger? I hope none of us finds out the hard way.
The following users liked this post:
LindaC (06-17-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just took my 04 TL to the dealer and told me the company will pay half of the cost of the dashboard replacement. Which means I have to pay 50% of it. It's going to cost me about $700 to do the replacement and will take 2 days to finish. Total cost of the dashboard: $1500 to $1600. My car has about 90,000 miles so i guess that's not bad. The main thing he told me is that if you put any of that Armor All or spray on the dash it will crack the dashboard no matter what. And then he gave me the "We live in Florida so the heat is and sun is going to crack it faster"
I told and asked him about all the other manufacturers I've had and haven't had this problem. oh well.
My other issue with this car is the darn SRS system. The darn light keeps turning on and stays off sometimes. The one with the airbag. Dealer took a look at that to and said it wasn't the seat buckle but the electrical system that has an issue. Told me that's not covered under warranty but I have a choice between the dashboard getting replaced or the SRS system being fixed. Going to another dealer to check this out.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Hows the Meguires Natural Shine? compared to 303. 303 is hard to find in Canada.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Did you 3g guys see this:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27832796/detail.html
there's a 1800# to file complaints as well.
NTSB seems to be taking a look into it...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Link just goes to homepage
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555
weird, works for me
anyway, some tv channel in the south did a spot on the dashboard problem - that will get some more attention...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555
Acura Owners Complain Of Cracking Dashboards

Posted: 8:50 pm EDT May 9, 2011Updated: 9:03 pm EDT May 9, 2011
CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. -- Channel 2 Action News consumer investigator Jim Strickland is awaiting a response from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to his questions about 2004 and 2005 Acura TL sedans.

The issue is the dashboard.

A Cherokee County man who drives one said the problem started with a hairline crack on the passenger side of the dash, right next to the airbag.

The research Strickland did reveals that's not where the problem ends.

"I have no doubt that it'll end up like some of the pictures I've seen where the cracks are horrible," said car owner Adam Thompson.

Strickland found the pictures of which Thompson speaks. Dashboards from 2004 and 2005 TL sedans from several southern states are shown to be suffering multiple cracks.

The pictures are posted to a Facebook page on the issue. It has 300 members. That's where Strickland also found Atlantan Cathy Barnes.

"It makes the car look awful. You see it every time you get in," said Barnes. She also has a 2004 TL.

Multiple cracks are on the passenger side, and a deep gash appears on the cowling over the instrument cluster.

"It's a high-end car, and you pay big money for it, and you shouldn't have big cracks in your dash board," said Barnes.

"I don't know, you know with a crack like that, if the airbag were to deploy if it would cause any sort of malfunction," said Thompson.

Airbag deployment is a concern in many of more than two-dozen complaints Strickland found filed with federal regulators.

Honda's Atlanta spokeswoman told Strickland that they don't have a huge volume of complaints and have no reports of any safety issues with air bag deployment.

She said concerned drivers should call 800-382-2238.

LINK: Acura TL Defective Dash Facebook Page
Copied from the website
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'm not worried about the airbag NOT deploying, I'm worried about it looking hideos.
And mine too has started...it's spent the better part of it's life in a garage and under a canopy and with a sunshade...the temp in the car is what does it, not just the direct sunlight.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
the structural integrity of the dash cover is not compromised.. it's just the polyu covering the plastic shell.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 4 Posts
So my 2004 TL dash started cracking this month. It started right along the edge of the airbag, now a second one has begun on the other side of the airbag. I contacted corporate and they instructed me to take my car to the local dealership and have them inspect it. I just received a call today and they told me they would go halves with me. $650 to repair a awful looking dash on a luxury sedan that is not even my fault. Compared to $1600 it's a good deal, but is there more I can to do reduce that price to....well....I don't know...$0??? After all it isn't my fault it's made of crappy materials. Any thoughts? Should i just suck it up and pay it. I have thought of alternatives such as Suede dash covers, fabricating a custom leather dash cover, or a repair job. I noticed that in extreme heat the cracks dissappear by closing up. I was thinking of taking the dash off leaving it in my garage until it closes up then using some kind of apoxy on the backend to hold the cracks aligned. I'm all about saving $$ without sacraficing appearance.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced

I have a 05 TL with nav that i bought from Carmax. Its past their 30 day warranty but they are replacing it for me thankfully. Thats a very expensive repair.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

I have purchased 6 Acuras. 4 of which were TL's. I currently have an 05 tl and an 08 tl-s. The dash on my 05 is cracking like many of the discriptions in this thread. I must say that i have never been so disapointed in the acura brand than i am today, reading how acura has handled this situation! I am used to the red carpet, the "oh, your transmission sound a little off, let us put a new one in for you." and here they are with a quite obvious flaw in their craftsmanship, and they want to go halvsies! THAT IS BULLSHIT! when i get back from my trip im going to have a fuckin field day with their customer service dept at corporate!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by desibaba
I have a 05 TL with nav that i bought from Carmax. Its past their 30 day warranty but they are replacing it for me thankfully. Thats a very expensive repair.
I was pretty lucky myself to get the dealership change it for me for free. They told me it was 3k and then said they will cover half. I after having a second talk with the service guy he replaced it for free. This was already outside of my 4 year warranty.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Wallet raped by my

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
How much do they charge just for labor to replace these? Wouldn't be surprised if labor was almost 1/4 of the total replacement cost if not more. I just recently changed out mine myself due to the airbag actually being deployed. Took me about 6hrs to remove the old one and replace it and its not a simple task that's for sure. You have to take alot of shit apart just to get to a few of the screws/bolts that hold it in place.

Photo of what it looks like removed:
COLINGER (08-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Holy falafel^^^^^^^^
Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Wallet raped by my

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
lol, think thats bad you should have seen my driveway. Looked like a chop shop with all the pieces scattered around.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I read this thread when I bought my acura tl 06 early 2010 and always kept mind of it and wished it never happened to me.

I was driving in Brooklyn today and I heard a snap towards my right side I looked to see what happened and BOOM there it was a nice 6 inch crack on my dash, i called the dealer while still on the road got a appt for Sat. when I was done called Acura guy was extremely nice and aware of this issue.

lets see what happens, I don't have 300 or 500 or even 100 dollars to fix something that wasn't my fault or regular wear and tear.

Im not even mad just disappointed
Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Racer

OMG. i read this thread couple years ago and though i got lucky and this will never happen to me. Nope, my dash start cracking. i use 303 and other product to clean my dash and my car is parked inside all the time. Are they consider doing recall on this? or does someone has to get injured and kill before they going to do anything.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by ezland00
OMG. i read this thread couple years ago and though i got lucky and this will never happen to me. Nope, my dash start cracking. i use 303 and other product to clean my dash and my car is parked inside all the time. Are they consider doing recall on this? or does someone has to get injured and kill before they going to do anything.
Acura isn't going to do a recall for this issue since it poses NO saftey issue. The vinyl is cracking and that's it. The airbag will still deploy, and if anything deploy better since it's going to be easier for it to break through the brittle vinyl. No debris will go flying and there will be no additional risk to occupants.

The only thing they will probably do is issue an internal memo or a TSB about the issue and advise a better replacement idea/procedure. Maybe they might even start selling a new vinyl skin for it!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance
Acura isn't going to do a recall for this issue since it poses NO saftey issue. The vinyl is cracking and that's it. The airbag will still deploy, and if anything deploy better since it's going to be easier for it to break through the brittle vinyl. No debris will go flying and there will be no additional risk to occupants.

The only thing they will probably do is issue an internal memo or a TSB about the issue and advise a better replacement idea/procedure. Maybe they might even start selling a new vinyl skin for it!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Smile I was going to start a new thread but...

Figured this would suffice!

I HAD to share this information. So I started a thread about putting silicone in the gap of the dash. It works, kind of...then I noticed that when it's hot the cracks almost disappear. So I figured out the cracking comes from the expanding and contracting over time.

Anyway, had another issue with my HFL unit so figured I'd join Twitter (only way to write acuracare on line?) and twat (past tense) them. They responded immediately asking for my VIN etc. Anyway, after 2 days of missing the call from the dude...I get a call from my local service advisor.

1st off, he's confident he can get them to goodwill 50% of the entire install. UNFORTUNATELY the cost with labor is $1446 and I'll have to remove everything I've put behind the dash to not hinder their work. $700 is too much money to make this repair, to me. The car is now 8 years old and I have to be honest with myself about the fact that there will be imperfections (I'm more inclined to work out a deal to fix HFL since that's a useful item I love). I'll probably try the vinyl repair kits they sell at pep boys and if that doesn't work...here I come suede dash cover.

Anyway, what I wanted to share was:
I told my advisor that I put loads of aerospace303 on and armorall etc to keep it nice and supple...put up a sunshade every single day...park in a garage at home. He told me that the engineers at Acura that he spoke to after sending in all the dash's that were cracked for research told him that the dash is made of a breathable material and applying any and all vinyl protectant clogs the "pores" of the vinyl. On very hot days when the heat has nowhere to go, it eventually causes a crack. He told me to only wipe down the dash with water and maybe a dab of dishsoap if anything and that is it.

DO NOT USE PROTECTANT ON YOUR DASH.

I can tell you all I'm a skeptic by nature so I'd love to think he had an answer ready for why this happened after only 8 years but I swear...it adds up. Between the fact that the car spent the first 5 years under an awning, then tree. And since I've owned had sunshade and a garage...and it just happened from one day to the next and it happened to be a day when I forgot the sunshade and the ambient temperature in the car got WAY hotter than normal and the fact that I've observed the cracks changing size depending on temperature. I think he is absolutely telling the truth.

toosoonjr (08-01-2016)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried briefly searching, but was unable to come up with anything quickly. Has anybody seen this on TLs 2007 or newer? I'm assuming it's only a matter of time. I'm scared.

The '06 with cracks up a few posts doesn't bode well.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM

inevitable unless they changed the material in the newer ones. my opinion
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by thrasher865
I've tried briefly searching, but was unable to come up with anything quickly. Has anybody seen this on TLs 2007 or newer? I'm assuming it's only a matter of time. I'm scared.

The '06 with cracks up a few posts doesn't bode well.
If you guys don't want cracked dashes then do 1 of 2 simple and inexpensive things. Do NOT park your car in direct sunlight or buy a windshield guard to put up before leaving your car especially if you're in the south you guys should know better. Acura isn't the 1st car to have its dashes crack over excessive exposure to heat nor will it be the last by a car company.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
If you guys don't want cracked dashes then do 1 of 2 simple and inexpensive things. Do NOT park your car in direct sunlight or buy a windshield guard to put up before leaving your car especially if you're in the south you guys should know better. Acura isn't the 1st car to have its dashes crack over excessive exposure to heat nor will it be the last by a car company.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Please read some of the posts above...most of them, including mine have spent EVERY day either in a garage, under an awning or with the expensive insulated Acura sunshade up in the windshield. In addition, 303 was applied regularly. I knew of this problem and tried to avoid it long before it happened.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

first off, my car spent 5 days a week in the shade since i park it in a garage at work in south fl. during the weekend there was a sunshade. the problem if you did not know was the lack of proper insulation around the passenger airbag and the airvents in the dash. this would cause the dash to contract very quickly when the ac would be turned on if the car was in the sun. The dash still does get hot even with a shade due to the temps rising in the car. it was the rapid cooling from the ac that caused the dash to crack.

also how can you tell someone not to park their car in the sun. there will always be occasions and places where that option is not viable.

another thing is I owned a 93 integra before my TL and never used a shade and all i did was apply armor all and the dash after 16 years still looked brand new. every other POS i owned before the TL never had a cracked dash.

also, as i walk the parking lot on a smoke break and notice 4 TL's parked in the vicinity, that 3 out of the 4 had cracked dashes. and one of those is always in the parking garage during the day. and I notice that no other car at the same age as an 04-06 TL has a cracked dash.

I have no idea what you think you are talking about. A car that is a TL should NEVER have a cracked dash.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Para sometimes makes brash statements...he's a knowledgeable guy. Just not in all areas. At least that's been the majority of my dealings with him.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Just looked up the part number...so it's $600 for JUST the dash skin!!!! For that, I'm getting a pretty good deal having them install it for 1/2 of $1500.

I opted to not even open the vinyl repair kit. My dash crack just got longer. I'm probably opting for the suede cover.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After seeing the massive task that is removing the dashboard I think I may just opt for a cover. Having this repair done is just asking for a potentially more irritating problem of "squeaky dash syndrome". The dealer puts your car back together nowhere near as precise as the factory so the inevitable squeak over a speed bump or dash control not lighting up. Sigh such is life. Despite the many faults of the TL I still love the car and as long as the engine and transmission (yes I know they are prone to failure) hold up I will just stick it out
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM

^^^shit...hadn't even thought of this. Even more of a reason to jump on the dash cover bandwagon, as soon as those 2 members are kind enough to post up pics of the sedona and brushed suede and I make up my mind, I'll have one on it's way too.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 AM

So here's a quick update to my dealership dealings. Swung by the dealership yesterday to pick up some parts. The guy that had looked at my bluetooth and offered 50% off called me and came up to me asking me "when am I going to get the repairs done".

They worked on the numbers and dropped it down to 1000 rather than 1100 out of pocket for the bluetooth replacement and dash replacement.

I told him spending that kind of money on an 8 year old car when everything is basically functioning was a lot. He told me it wasn't that much to get it fixed, honestly...I don't like being sold and when the salesman tells me how I should feel about an amount of money. I am probably a little too up front about the fact that I have a couple of capacitors on the way to try and fix my BT unit myself. He said if I do that, he may not be able to get corporate to work with me. I'm not too worried about that because although I haven't pressed the issue, I now have a contact at Acura corporate that seems to be continually following up with the dealership to see if I am happy.

Anyway, about the dash specifically...see above where I said don't put anything on your dash. So yesterday, here were another couple of things I caught...

1) is there another product number for a replacement dash. His answer, no. Which we know is untrue, so what does that tell you...I probably am better versed at the problem at hand.
2) He goes on to tell me that the reason they have the same product number is because the engineers at acura have seen that the dashes coming back have too much silicone based protectant on it. PS...I remember hearing about this armorall epidemic causing problems with dashes and that's an OLD story, they have reformulated the product IIRC. Anyway...he recites the same thing he told me last time verbatim and I now realize that he wasn't sharing anything with me...he was reciting what he was probably trained to say if someone asked about the epidemic of cracked dashes. So I let him finish and tell him, don't worry, I did as he said and used a little dishsoap...so guess what he tells me, "oh, you should probably not do that (mind you these were HIS instructions last time) you need something to protect the dash...this 303 thing or something". I said, yeah...you mean aerospace 303 protectant, the one I told you I was very adamant about putting on pretty regularly in addition to my OEM sunshade or parking in a garage. I did everything I could to prevent this, I knew it was coming and was trying to avoid it.

I ended up telling him I could MAYBE see paying 500 bucks out of pocket for the entire thing...bluetooth and the dash, but not for one or the other. And to be honest...even at that price I'm not sure I feel ok paying it. Bluetooth is not something you'd think would stop working...and a cracked dash on a 35K luxury car after only 7 years is a little nuts to me.

He keeps telling me he doesn't care if Acura pays for it or if I pay for it...so I don't understand what he's waiting for to contact the rep and be my advocate. Or at least approach them with the amount I said I was willing to pay. Something about the whole interaction leads me to believe that there's some kind of benefit to him in the dealership's eyes when it comes to getting the customer to pay more.

He's a nice guy, but I guess I started kidding myself into thinking he was slowly becoming my friend. Oh well...he feigned feeling badly about the misunderstanding when I misheard him say $140 to cut and program a key for me though...I thought he said $40. SMH...

Anyway did some digging on autoanything...and after 1 review being somewhat questionable on the brushed suede, I decided on sedona suede...then I watched the video of this other company below and feel I'm sold.

Also, you can see the product on this audio beast of an RL already installed. Looks good...
http://www.dashtopper.com/shop.net/top_video.aspx

Yeah, I'll take an $80 solution and never worry about having the new dash crack or creak or anything anymore. I'm not doing badly financially...but spending a grand on non "leave me stranded" repairs...NAW, I don't got it like THAT either!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
make sure you post pics of the dashtopper. very curious to see detail shots.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Hey hey hey, I gave you props for the find on the other thread!!
I don't want to be the guinea pig!
Seriously though, when you look at such a classy looking RL...this particular dash-topper fits right in and doesn't detract at all.
I went to the right site, right? This is the one that the RL has from the link I posted?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...l-rebuild.html
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Nice write up Jeremy. I remember when I took my TL to the local dealership with the cracked dash; the guy blamed it on mistreatment done by me. He was a total ass and that's why I don't take my car there.

Anyways, keep us updated with the cover
Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey hey hey, I gave you props for the find on the other thread!!
I don't want to be the guinea pig!
Seriously though, when you look at such a classy looking RL...this particular dash-topper fits right in and doesn't detract at all.
I went to the right site, right? This is the one that the RL has from the link I posted?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...l-rebuild.html

yup thats the one

haha i dont want to be the guinea pig either
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Well, since nobody is even considering this one, I'll probably jump on it. Just trying to make sure the Sedona Suede from Autoanything is of equal quality because it ends up being 30 bucks cheaper.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Decided that since the dash-topper is it's own manufacturer I'd rather deal directly with them...rather than a company selling someone else's product.

They have lifetime warranty on the topper and if you watch the video you'll see why supposedly they are superior to others, it also opens your eyes to a lot of quality downsides to other toppers. For 80 bucks...if this solves my problem, I'll be jumping for joy. I'll post of pictures of fitment and quality and seams etc for anyone else insterested. I went with Sedona suede in black. There's a fine line between tacky and nice and I'm hoping I'm making the right decision.

J.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

There is a huge group of us with cracked dashes - looks like a dried lake and Acura doesn't want to do anything about it. I still love my car but can't stand to look at that dash.

I even have it about the speedometer casing. It appears sunlight and cheap craftsmanship have a lot to do with it. Before 2004-2005 owners - this is your future! I babied my car and it still happened!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Dash Cover

" I'll probably try the vinyl repair kits they sell at pep boys and if that doesn't work...here I come suede dash cover. "

Yep - I just ordered my sedona suede cover from Dash Topper. I think D-covers suck but this one actually enhances the look. ( trying to convince myself) No other choice......can't stand to look at the dried up lake anymore.

Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL