Constant Battery issues ( over one year)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Constant Battery issues ( over one year)

So I have a 2005 TL. The battery issues started about one year ago.

I purchased the new battery in August 2016 was fine until that December 2016. I needed a jump at least once every 8-10 days. So finally exchanged the battery for a new one in February 2017. Started having problems again in August 2017. During this whole experience I would get the battery, the starter and alternator checked every few weeks. They all checked out fine.

Just in september i decided to go another battery battery from another company. Then the enter comes and temps drop below zero and i needed a jump about once each week. I went and exchange that recent battery just a week ago.

Question: Has anone also had the same issues of battery not staying charged in their 2005 TL?

Thanks in advance for your advice and information.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 214 Posts
Fortunately for you this is a very common problem associated with the generally faulty HFL (handsfreelink) system in these cars. Long story short, the system always draws a current, typically leaving users with a dead battery after X amount of time. Not saying this is guaranteed to be the issue, but it is a relatively common cause.

It's pretty simple to disconnect https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...nk-fix-900427/

On the off chance you actively use the HFL, there are steps to repair it - but I'd venture to say that 95% of people here simply disconnect it, and that's that.

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 01-04-2018 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SteveBean (01-17-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:02 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
Fortunately for you this is a very common problem associated with the generally faulty HFL (handsfreelink) system in these cars. Long story short, the system always draws a current, typically leaving users with a dead battery after X amount of time. Not saying this is guaranteed to be the issue, but it is a relatively common cause.

It's pretty simple to disconnect https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...nk-fix-900427/

On the off chance you actively use the HFL, there are steps to repair it - but I'd venture to say that 95% of people here simply disconnect it, and that's that.
Now once it’s disconnected will I able to use and hear the navigation directions? Where can I get the tool used to remove the panel?
Old 01-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aisha
Now once it’s disconnected will I able to use and hear the navigation directions? Where can I get the tool used to remove the panel?
It will not affect your navigation directions/sounds or anything like that, you're good. Also, you can just use a flathead screwdriver to remove the panel. Just be careful not to damage the fabric around the panel. It pops out rather easy (though it is pretty freaking cold across most of the states right now, that could affect it) but you shouldn't have much trouble. If you need more insight, you can just type "Acura TL handsfree link removal" on youtube and there are some good tutorials on it.

I cant remember off the top of my head because I did it awhile ago, but I think you need a small socket (10mm?) with a small extension bar. Either way I'm sure most tutorials remind you what you need.

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 01-04-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
It will not affect your navigation directions/sounds or anything like that, you're good. Also, you can just use a flathead screwdriver to remove the panel. Just be careful not to damage the fabric around the panel. It pops out rather easy (though it is pretty freaking cold across most of the states right now, that could affect it) but you shouldn't have much trouble. If you need more insight, you can just type "Acura TL handsfree link removal" on youtube and there are some good tutorials on it.
Thank you for the in sight. Are you a mechanic? Also what about he fuel relay I seen something about it in other forums?
Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the in sight. Are you a mechanic? Also what about he fuel relay I seen something about it in other forums?
hahaha not officially.....and if your car is failing to start (but has electrical), there is the slight possibility it is truly a failure of the fuel pump relay. If it's not failing to start, I wouldn't worry about it - the relay is an uncommon failure. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...-relay-931252/

FYI, if you go to Google and just type in "Acurazine" followed by a few keywords (ex. Fuel Relay), you can usually find a bunch of threads on the exact topic you're looking for. Just make sure they're referencing the 3rd Gen TL (04-08)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Google Search to narrow down even more: site:acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl dead battery

That will limit you to the 3g TL forums.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
You can still use and hear the Navi instructions, but you will lose Voice Control because the mic is in the HFL.
That's no problem if you don't use Voice Control; I do use it occasionally to change the climate control temp or for the Navi, but almost never for the audio system.

A thin feeler gauge blade will also work to remove the sunroof switch panel to get at the HFL, and it's probably less likely to cause damage to the plastic than a screwdriver.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah! This thread solved my battery drain problem. I had narrowed it down to the under-dash Fuse #6 and I thought I had checked everything on the circuit: trunk light, map lights, courtesy lights, visor lights, and even the ignition key light. I had pulled down the roof console to check the interior light switch and for some reason I thought that the 20P connector for the roof console was the Hands Free Link connector. I didn't realize until now that the Hands Free Link connector is 22P. I'm at my office right now but I just ran out to the parking lot, pulled the roof console again, and saw the HFL unit tucked up inside. I removed the four small bolts holding the bracket, popped out the while clip holding microphone wires in place and disconnected the HFL unit. It was hot! The mysterious 250 mA drain problem has now been solved.<br /><br />Thanks to all on this forum over the years. I've been a silent reader and have always wanted to contribute but I've never figured out how to take pictures without getting my phone greasy!