Complaints About the TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 06:49 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Complaints About the TL

First of all, I'm not a flag waver for Acura, Honda or any other manufacturer.
I have been on this board for about ten months and have had my TL for eight months and 8,000 miles. Over the years I have put 100's of 1,000's of miles on many different cars; some old and some new. My TL has so far been one of the better cars I've driven. It's not as solid as a MB, BMW,VW or Volvo but it does have lots of other things going for it.

I have read the posts about racing, home repairs and dyi modifications. It is my opinion that some of us have really unrealistc expectations for a mid-priced car.

The TL is not a race car, a Tonka Truck or dyi assembly project. If we treat it like those things then we should not expect it to behave as it should. Driven and maintained as intended its an above average mid price car. There are some exceptions but thats always.

I recently managed to make my rear shelf rattle. It was simple, turn the base and treble all the way up then crank up the volumn and bingo rattles.

There is really no deep point here, I just wanted to vent a little.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree. I do think that this site can also give a bad impression in that regard. Although , you do have people that come on here and talk about their good experiences from time to time, a large number usually come on here to find solutions to problems or just to vent.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

This site HAS given a bad impression to readers. Just look at the posts that state, "You guys scared me away," or, "you guys scared me but now I'm happy."
Old 05-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my car last year DESPITE some of what I read here.

I'm now at 4,000 trouble and rattle free miles.

All you need to know is that a very small percentage of readers make 90% of the noise. Human nature is such that unhappy people are a lot quicker to complain than happy people are to compliment.

My recent favorites involve those who've owned their car for a day, heard a rattle, and now their car is a lemon. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Regards,
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Had my car about 16 months and 9200 miles. A few squeeks and a few problems, but the dealer has addressed them or I have fixed them myself. Still a great car for the money and am happy with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't even understand why there are so many threads such as this showing up lately.

Some people have no problems with their TLs.
Some people are not sentitive enough to detect all those minor rattles in their TLs.
Some people have legitimate problems with their TLs.
Some people are quite sensitive about those annoying rattles in their TLs.
Some people expect a lot from a $35,000 car.
Some people expect very little from a $35,000 car.

There is no reason to criticize people who discuss various problems that are associate with their TLs. At the same time, we should be glad to see people who are quite happy with their cars.

For those of you who are asking for advice for your purchase, just test drive and buy one if you are satisfied with it. If you can afford a TL, you must be mature and old enough to make your own decision.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by Novice
I don't even understand why there are so many threads such as this showing up lately.

Some people have no problems with their TLs.
Some people are not sentitive enough to detect all those minor rattles in their TLs.
Some people have legitimate problems with their TLs.
Some people are quite sensitive about those annoying rattles in their TLs.
Some people expect a lot from a $35,000 car.
Some people expect very little from a $35,000 car.

There is no reason to criticize people who discuss various problems that are associate with their TLs. At the same time, we should be glad to see people who are quite happy with their cars.

For those of you who are asking for advice for your purchase, just test drive and buy one if you are satisfied with it. If you can afford a TL, you must be mature and old enough to make your own decision.
Everyone who can afford one is not necessarily mature enough to make their own decision or to understand the ramifications.

The thread was started for the reason stated in first sentence of second paragraph. I just wanted to provoke some thought, not really complain. At the end of the day its just a car. Probably one of many for most of us. I enjoy the forum and most of the conversations.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

What do you mean not as sturdy as MB or BMW VW and Volvo. From what I understand those cars are much more likely to leave you stranded then a TL and develope many problems. But MB and BMW handle better. I hate VW and Volvos are old people cars so I wouldnt even compare the TL to them. You can say well look at the S60R, but IMO it still looks like a grandpa car.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I know for a fact that most of these complaints are BS and some people act like the TL was built by God himself so it shouldnt ever have a "rattle" or "squeak"

I work for Honda/Acura and i own a TL and an Accord and i never had any problems with either. The customers that buy TLs usually never have any issues either except for the usual over-analytic people that complain that theyre tires have a scratch on them!
All in all.........we drive a great automobile so lets enjoy it and stop complaining. No car is perfect but if u guys think that BMW and MB dont have issues.......go try one or just read car and driver and youll find out how much of an expensive headache they can be.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by crazymjb
What do you mean not as sturdy as MB or BMW VW and Volvo. From what I understand those cars are much more likely to leave you stranded then a TL and develope many problems. But MB and BMW handle better. I hate VW and Volvos are old people cars so I wouldnt even compare the TL to them. You can say well look at the S60R, but IMO it still looks like a grandpa car.

Talking about 'feel' The sound when the door closes, the tactile impressions that you get. You have to drive them to understand. This is different from how reliable they are. It also has nothing to do with liking how the cars looks. In fact I think that the Germans over engineer their cars.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MR1

First of all, I'm not a flag waver for Acura, Honda or any other manufacturer.
I have been on this board for about ten months and have had my TL for eight months and 8,000 miles. Over the years I have put 100's of 1,000's of miles on many different cars; some old and some new. My TL has so far been one of the better cars I've driven. It's not as solid as a MB, BMW,VW or Volvo but it does have lots of other things going for it.

I have read the posts about racing, home repairs and dyi modifications. It is my opinion that some of us have really unrealistc expectations for a mid-priced car.

The TL is not a race car, a Tonka Truck or dyi assembly project. If we treat it like those things then we should not expect it to behave as it should. Driven and maintained as intended its an above average mid price car. There are some exceptions but thats always.

I recently managed to make my rear shelf rattle. It was simple, turn the base and treble all the way up then crank up the volumn and bingo rattles.

There is really no deep point here, I just wanted to vent a little.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

i now hate my TL and it has nothing to do with this site. It's because the car is weak. I'm one who expects a lot from a $35k car...this one sucks ass!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by pgriherd
i now hate my TL and it has nothing to do with this site. It's because the car is weak. I'm one who expects a lot from a $35k car...this one sucks ass!
That's fine. Don't let the TLs self closing door hit you on the way out.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Sounds like someone has never owned a MB or a BMW. Try owning a MB and then tell me that the TL is as sturdy, and BTW I currently have three MB one of which replaced a 7 series BMW. To top it off I sold am 89 MB 300se and got an 02 TL-S and to this day the doors on the MB shut more soundly than my TL's ever have. Don't think I don't like my TL because I love it, but please don't compare it to German vehicles especially a MB.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:56 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Jputt
Sounds like someone has never owned a MB or a BMW. Try owning a MB and then tell me that the TL is as sturdy, and BTW I currently have three MB one of which replaced a 7 series BMW. To top it off I sold am 89 MB 300se and got an 02 TL-S and to this day the doors on the MB shut more soundly than my TL's ever have. Don't think I don't like my TL because I love it, but please don't compare it to German vehicles especially a MB.

oh yeah, i went to a C-Spot meet hosted by MB, and we got to drive every single benz on the road course (and c32 AMG driven by a professional driver). i wasn't 21 at the time, so i was in the passenger seat, but did have a chance to drive a c230 k on a different road course, along with 3 series, 9-3, s60, etc. i fell in love with the c230k 'cause of its handling... too bad i couldn't find a 6spd.

oh and my brother had the S500 going sideways, burning rubber... and then we were "asked to leave"

i'd love to see some photos of your cars, jputt! sounds like you have a sweet collection.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Thanks I will see what I can do, I've been planning on doing a mini photo shoot as gay as that sounds at a parking garage down town, but it seems I never have the time or the cars all cleaned up.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

After getting my TL I finaly realized how behind is Acura TL with quality standards.
They could learn lots of things from germans.
Bottom line: nothing beats quality and performance of cars like Audi and BMW!
See latest J.D. Power and Assoc. quality report, BMW is on 3rd position while Acura is way behind. This tells everything...
Old 06-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nikko
After getting my TL I finaly realized how behind is Acura TL with quality standards.
They could learn lots of things from germans.
Bottom line: nothing beats quality and performance of cars like Audi and BMW!
See latest J.D. Power and Assoc. quality report, BMW is on 3rd position while Acura is way behind. This tells everything...
Yeah I heard those VWs and those Audis are really good German cars, good performance and great quality!!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

yeah germans cars are great also very high priced too but have a lot of electical failures
Old 08-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Dont take what im about to say personal in any way.
Im a valet parking manager and Ive driven these cars(MB,BMW,audis,VWs,volvos) for about 3 years since i started working there. MB and BMW might have better handling because they are rwd yet some people claim these cars are "awesome" and way better than the TL when they have never even been in one of these cars so they just go by what they hear. The TL is an awesome car and this third gen amazed me the first time i saw it. If u compared it to a 3 series bmw, which would be in the same class, the TL eats it hands down. The bmw's interior is so ugly and simple maked you feel you are riding inside a KIA amanti. Also these european cars would cost you twice to fix compared to a japanese car. Also i dont know if any of you have ever purchased a bmw or MB, but they give you a list full of options/accesories for them and a 30.000 dollar sedan would end up in the low/mid 40,000 including tax. For example, you want HIDs on the bmw; BAM an extra 1000 dollars. The Tl comes fully loaded at a very resonable price and the technology simply amazes me. Audis are just nasty in my opinnion, the only nice one with a really beautiful interior would be the A8, the BMW 5 and 7 series have a nice interior as well as exterior. MB........... ...............sorry just not my type except for the new CLS 500 which is awesome. VW .......nope. The best luxury cars are made by BMW, acura,lexus, and infiniti. Then again its my opinnion based on my own experience. Take care people
Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
I know for a fact that most of these complaints are BS and some people act like the TL was built by God himself so it shouldnt ever have a "rattle" or "squeak" .
Kind of harsh comment - I beliebve everyone agrees God is too busy to build a car . However, when the car has 6K miles on it and the dash fades - no, not the outline coming through, but areas that look grey and others that look black - I think an owner has every right to be upset.

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
I work for Honda/Acura and i own a TL and an Accord and i never had any problems with either. The customers that buy TLs usually never have any issues either except for the usual over-analytic people that complain that theyre tires have a scratch on them!.
See above again. I realize all cars will have problems, but I have had more issues with this car than my 94 Integra. Dash fading, headliner that needs replacement, leather "melting" on the seats. I would have expected a bit better fit from a $35K car.

Granted, the dealer is working with me to get the issues solved but Acura corporate has shown little to no empathy for their customers.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:42 AM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by A-spec'd out
Dont take what im about to say personal in any way.
Im a valet parking manager and Ive driven these cars(MB,BMW,audis,VWs,volvos) for about 3 years since i started working there. MB and BMW might have better handling because they are rwd yet some people claim these cars are "awesome" and way better than the TL when they have never even been in one of these cars so they just go by what they hear. The TL is an awesome car and this third gen amazed me the first time i saw it. If u compared it to a 3 series bmw, which would be in the same class, the TL eats it hands down. The bmw's interior is so ugly and simple maked you feel you are riding inside a KIA amanti. Also these european cars would cost you twice to fix compared to a japanese car. Also i dont know if any of you have ever purchased a bmw or MB, but they give you a list full of options/accesories for them and a 30.000 dollar sedan would end up in the low/mid 40,000 including tax. For example, you want HIDs on the bmw; BAM an extra 1000 dollars. The Tl comes fully loaded at a very resonable price and the technology simply amazes me. Audis are just nasty in my opinnion, the only nice one with a really beautiful interior would be the A8, the BMW 5 and 7 series have a nice interior as well as exterior. MB........... ...............sorry just not my type except for the new CLS 500 which is awesome. VW .......nope. The best luxury cars are made by BMW, acura,lexus, and infiniti. Then again its my opinnion based on my own experience. Take care people

I am driving now a BMW 545 and what I have to say is that I will be driving BMW for the rest of my life! Japanese cars are still not there but someday, they will be.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

the 5 series is a little out of the TL's league though. Good thing they remodeled the car, its nice. Yet i dont think the same about audis,volvos or jaguars.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pughater
yeah germans cars are great also very high priced too but have a lot of electical failures

What Germans Cars?

Alot of the VW Golf & Jettas are assembled in Mexico and so does a few Benz.

As far as the local press up here, they say that VW is not a bad car beside repeated electrical problems but the worse is having to deal with their dealers for service!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
04 NBP 6MT

You guys should stop by http://www.deadeclipse.com/

Those people have serious issues.