Car was flooded

Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car was flooded

so driving home from work last night around 430 on the belt, it was flooding. roughly 8" deep. i stopped about 50ft away from it, called a tow truck, they got there around 515 and by that time the water was half way up my door, there was ~2" of water on my driver side floor and passenger side.also when the tow truck came alls he could do was pull me through the puddle so i used the neutral release with the car off untill we got out of the puddle then i turned it into the on position but didnt start it

any possibility for electrical damage?

also before the water was up to my door i went to start it, it cranked 2x but then i shut it off and took the key out. i got it towed home and didnt start it yet. im planning on waiting about a week so it can hopefully dry off then do an oil change, new plugs maybe

edit: btw i am not worried about any mildew or odor inside the car because i use to restore flooded cars interiors.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am on the same boat as you right now partner
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
if the motor shut off by itself and you tried cranking it there could be some damage. Your best bet is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and take out all the spark plugs and crank the motor over. Any water in the cylinders will shoot out. Also change your oil (it will be milky colored) and you should be good!

Just beware that you could wear down the starter if you try to turn the motor over with water in the cylinders, and as well can bend/damage stuff!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
if the motor shut off by itself and you tried cranking it there could be some damage. Your best bet is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and take out all the spark plugs and crank the motor over. Any water in the cylinders will shoot out. Also change your oil (it will be milky colored) and you should be good!

I can't tell by the way it's written if he hydrolocked it or not.

So, OP, did you drive through the deep water and stall it? Or what?

Why did you stop "50 feet away"? Is that before or after the water?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Is it an auto? Since an auto is a dime a dozen, I'd see if insurance can write it off. That car is going to be a nightmare in the near future even if you do get it running.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
If it cranks, but its idling from like 1k and revving up to 3-4k then dropping down and going back up, could have water in your vaccuum lines. Happened to my old CL. Went through water and it started doing it. I let it run for a few hours at home and it cleared it up.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Are you saying the inside had 2" of water

If so your PCM could be shit, which in turn could brick your engine. It sounds like from your post you stopped the car before the flooded area but left it there to get swallowed waiting for the tow truck..

Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 AM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
...It sounds like from your post you stopped the car before the flooded area but left it there to get swallowed waiting for the tow truck..

That's how I understood it, too.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
.... It sounds like from your post you stopped the car before the flooded area but left it there to get swallowed waiting for the tow truck..

Well, that's what I thought too. But why would you call a tow truck (and/or not move your car as the water rose) if he stopped short and everything was OK?

I'm guessing he means he drove through the water and made it 50' before it stalled. Then he called the tow truck.

But it is confusing and needs clarification.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ok so the OP stopped short of the puddle but then water got to the car....then he tried to start the car and it didnt....???

is that right....wouldnt this mean that the engine tried to suck on water ?

OP are you CAI ? Stock intake ? need more info....
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by csmeance

Just beware that you could wear down the starter if you try to turn the motor over with water in the cylinders, and as well can bend/damage stuff!
The motor didnt shut itself off. Ill ttry that in a few days. Thanks

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I can't tell by the way it's written if he hydrolocked it or not.

So, OP, did you drive through the deep water and stall it? Or what?

Why did you stop "50 feet away"? Is that before or after the water?

50' before. A car was behind me and i couldnt back up more. When he moved is when i cranked it 2 times then said fuck it. Then when the water kept rising i pushed it back another 15 feet.

Originally Posted by mau108
Is it an auto? Since an auto is a dime a dozen, I'd see if insurance can write it off. That car is going to be a nightmare in the near future even if you do get it running.
Yep. Sucks i sent acura a 22k check on thursday

Originally Posted by combat mediC
If it cranks, but its idling from like 1k and revving up to 3-4k then dropping down and going back up, could have water in your vaccuum lines. Happened to my old CL. Went through water and it started doing it. I let it run for a few hours at home and it cleared it up.
I dont wanna start it for a few days

If so your PCM could be shit, which in turn could brick your engine. It sounds like from your post you stopped the car before the flooded area but left it there to get swallowed waiting for the tow truck..

I couldnt move back because there was a car behind me. When he mived i oushed it back about 15ft. I did stop before the flooded section

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Well, that's what I thought too. But why would you call a tow truck (and/or not move your car as the water rose) if he stopped short and everything was OK?

I'm guessing he means he drove through the water and made it 50' before it stalled. Then he called the tow truck.

But it is confusing and needs clarification.
Didnt try to drive through

Originally Posted by swoosh
ok so the OP stopped short of the puddle but then water got to the car....then he tried to start the car and it didnt....???

is that right....wouldnt this mean that the engine tried to suck on water ?

OP are you CAI ? Stock intake ? need more info....
I was going to startbit but then i didnt fully attempt it.

Yes cai, lowered about 2"
Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Drifting

so i just went out to my car to get something out and the battery is dead. the fusebox on the floor was not wet or damp

should i try to jump it with another car or just charge and maybe recondition the battery?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Drifting

also i looked in the service manual for the ecm/pcm and it is located on the passenger side. the only water that got on that side was from my feet when i was sitting on that side.

also just to re-clarify, the water never got high enough to touch the fuse box on the interior. 1.5"-2" max. also i am not too concerned about my car being hydrolocked since i never tried to actually start it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM

The PCM sits just a couple inches higher than the footwell between the driver and passenger. All you need to do is lift the carpet back and pry the kick panel to see it.. much lower than the fuse box.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I wouldnt try starting her up without trying to find out if the engine engulfed water....you dont want that kind of expense....
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Drifting

The PCM sits just a couple inches higher than the footwell between the driver and passenger. All you need to do is lift the carpet back and pry the kick panel to see it.. much lower than the fuse box.
the car was on a slant, leaning towards the driver side, then on the tow truck the water went towards the backseat.

Originally Posted by swoosh
I wouldnt try starting her up without trying to find out if the engine engulfed water....you dont want that kind of expense....
i turned the car off, the car didnt stall. usually when i start the car it starts after the 3rd crank. my nerves got the best of me and pulled the key out after 2 cranks. i highly doubt i sucked up water
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Well your cai is on the driver side and if you were slanted towards the driver side I'm pretty sure it was submerged.

But if the car did not turn over you may not have water in the system.

Take the spark plugs out, remove the intake tub and inspect for water/moisture before starting her again.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Well your cai is on the driver side and if you were slanted towards the driver side I'm pretty sure it was submerged.

But if the car did not turn over you may not have water in the system.

Take the spark plugs out, remove the intake tub and inspect for water/moisture before starting her again.
and thats the reason why i didnt start it
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to my car back in October 2009. A couple of inches of water inside fried the PCM. It will seem like you have a dead battery if you try to start it (at least that is what it seemed like when it happened to me). I have the stock intake so a hydrolocked engine wasn't an issue and it sounds like you took every precaution to avoid hydrolocking yours.

Not necessarily. It has been almost 2 years since my car was flooded with the same amount of water inside and it hasn't been a nightmare *knock on wood*
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
if the water got into the car it should automatically be totaled out by any insurance company. i buy flood damaged cars out here in chicago, and i've bought 3 tl type s with water damage.

you need to pull the plugs and coils and try to turn it by hand and make sure it does a complete turn. also make sure to change the oil even if it doesnt look milky just to be on the safe side.

if it does a complete turn then your going to be okay! if not a motors 2500+ from a junk yard. but thats worst case!

sometimes i replace a computer if it gets wet that sits right under the center console or a bcm. but that depends on how much water you get inside.

i'd contact your insurance company 1st and see what their policy is on flood damge. you should totally be covered and not even have to worry about all this.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greco9885
so driving home from work last night around 430 on the belt, it was flooding. roughly 8" deep. i stopped about 50ft away from it, called a tow truck, they got there around 515 and by that time the water was half way up my door, there was ~2" of water on my driver side floor and passenger side.also when the tow truck came alls he could do was pull me through the puddle so i used the neutral release with the car off untill we got out of the puddle then i turned it into the on position but didnt start it

any possibility for electrical damage?

also before the water was up to my door i went to start it, it cranked 2x but then i shut it off and took the key out. i got it towed home and didnt start it yet. im planning on waiting about a week so it can hopefully dry off then do an oil change, new plugs maybe

edit: btw i am not worried about any mildew or odor inside the car because i use to restore flooded cars interiors.
I hate to say it partner but your car will never be the same once you have flood damage. You are probabley better off having the Insurance company total the car. OTherwise you will have problems down the road. My $0.02.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Drifting

update:

car started fine, idles normal, runs normal. i dropped the exhaust and water came out the jpipe. the packing inside the muffler is soaked so my car sounds weird. but its all good so far, no CEL's or anything. also i doubt water got to the pcm because the carpet by it is dry.

also no water in the oil, plugs are fine, tranny fluid is fine
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM

That's great news.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Drifting

That's great news.
it really is.

my car kinda sounds like a m5 with an eisenmann race exhaust.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I think you put a little too much value into manual vs auto.

I think this was a case of being too careful. It's hard to actually hydro-lock the engine. If it was not running at the time, you have absolutely nothing to worry about mechanically. I would be more worried about letting it sit for so long with water potentially sitting in the cylinders.

I doubt you'll see any other issues, should be as good as it ever was. If you didn't see any water in the oil, it's unlikely the water ever made it to the engine. It would have to be very deep to get to throttlebody or exhaust port level and enter the engine.
The following users liked this post:
greco9885 (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think you put a little too much value into manual vs auto.

I think this was a case of being too careful. It's hard to actually hydro-lock the engine. If it was not running at the time, you have absolutely nothing to worry about mechanically. I would be more worried about letting it sit for so long with water potentially sitting in the cylinders.

I doubt you'll see any other issues, should be as good as it ever was. If you didn't see any water in the oil, it's unlikely the water ever made it to the engine. It would have to be very deep to get to throttlebody or exhaust port level and enter the engine.
^that is what a lot of people read over.

i wasnt worried about water sitting in the cylinders because i knew there couldnt be any in there. my biggest problem now is removing all of the weeds, cigarette butts, and whatever the hell else is under my car.

one thing i think i might have a problem with is premature wear/rust on my exhaust components because water sat in it for days

i agree that water didnt enter from the exhaust port because for that to happen my car would have to be submerged almost up to the windows, which it wasnt
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
^that is what a lot of people read over.

i wasnt worried about water sitting in the cylinders because i knew there couldnt be any in there. my biggest problem now is removing all of the weeds, cigarette butts, and whatever the hell else is under my car.

one thing i think i might have a problem with is premature wear/rust on my exhaust components because water sat in it for days

i agree that water didnt enter from the exhaust port because for that to happen my car would have to be submerged almost up to the windows, which it wasnt
The exhaust will be fine. The exhaust that goes through it on a daily basis is much more corrosive than a little flood water plus water is the primary byproduct after the catalysts so you have water vapor any time the engine is running. Just about all exhausts are a cheap stainless steel so they have a reasonable life.

I'm looking forward to the long term results. I really think everything will be fine.