A/c smells/stinks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A/c smells/stinks

SORRY THIS WAS IN THE WRONG SECTION....

When I turn my ac on a stinky smell( LIKE OLD COFFEE) comes from it, and same when I turn it off, eventually it goes away but I dont know what this could be, it's so weird. My honda accord was like this too...
my tl is a 2006

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts
I think that's moisture from the ac that's molding.
Not sure how to easily fix this
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm anyone know how to fix?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that spraying a generous amount aerosol lysol into the A/C intake (not to be confused with the engine air intake) will help with this (unsure if this actually kills the mildew or just covers up the stink).

I've also heard that blasting the fan (without the A/C) before turning off your car helps move the moisture out of the vents and helps prevent condensation (which results in mildew).
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Here's how to prevent it.

Don't select the recirculate mode, use the AUTO mode and let it do the selection for you. Also, a few miles before you get to your destination after having used your A/C for a bit, turn it off, set the vents to dash (voice command), set the temperature to "Lo", and let the fan run at the highest speed. This will help in drying out your evaporator. Do these things and you will not get the moldy odor.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
my tl is a 2006

Any suggestions?
Has the cabin air filter been changed yet? If not, change it and remove any debris from the housing and all vent openings.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

Don't select the recirculate mode, use the AUTO mode and let it do the selection for you. Also, a few miles before you get to your destination after having used your A/C for a bit, turn it off, set the vents to dash (voice command), set the temperature to "Lo", and let the fan run at the highest speed. This will help in drying out your evaporator. Do these things and you will not get the moldy odor.
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Has the cabin air filter been changed yet? If not, change it and remove any debris from the housing and all vent openings.
+1.. spray down the vents as well..
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

That's what I try to do as often as I remember, but it's a tuff commitment because it gets hot and humid in a flash without the A/C on.

On the TL I assume the heater core is after the a/c coils correct? If that's true turning the heat up wouldn't help, if it's the other way around it would help it dry up.
You should get a turbo timer and set it to 2minutes and let the fans blow full blast when you leave. We used to do that in my cousins car.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

I doubt the guy who own my tl ever changed the cabin air filtre, but I can't located it and for some reason my car didnt come with a manual...where is the cabin air filtre located? and where these tube located to spray down?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
I doubt the guy who own my tl ever changed the cabin air filtre, but I can't located it and for some reason my car didnt come with a manual...where is the cabin air filtre located? and where these tube located to spray down?
First, the 3G Garage has links to all sorts of threads, including cabin filter change threads with photos, here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/

You can order a charcoal filter from Rock Auto, or pick up an OEM non-charcoal filter from the nearest dealer. Several threads have the part numbers for the OEM filters if you want to try a nearby Honda store rather than an Acura dealer.

Section iii of the 3G Garage has links to on-line versions of the owner's manuals and Navi manuals for every Honda/Acura since 1990 here: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PhilB81
That's what I try to do as often as I remember, but it's a tuff commitment because it gets hot and humid in a flash without the A/C on.

On the TL I assume the heater core is after the a/c coils correct? If that's true turning the heat up wouldn't help, if it's the other way around it would help it dry up.
You should get a turbo timer and set it to 2minutes and let the fans blow full blast when you leave. We used to do that in my cousins car.
Both of my 3G TL's ('04 manual and '05 automatic) have Navi. If I have only been running it for 10-15 minutes, I tend not to do this. But if it has been running longer, I go through a simple process to begin the drying. Anyway, here is what I do when shutting down the A/C under those conditions.

o If it is in recirculate mode, I turn that off.
o Manually turn off the A/C.
o Issue voice command, "Climate control dash".
o Turn the temperature down to its lowest setting.
o Make sure the fan speed is set to its highest setting.

I do this for maybe 2-3 miles or about 5 minutes, then when I arrive at my destination, I set the fan speed to 2 or 3.

That's it. No odor.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is why when i smoke a cig or w/e else lol i dont have the ac on....not saying you smoke in your car but i hate when the A/C smells like old cigs
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
this is why when i smoke a cig or w/e else lol i dont have the ac on....not saying you smoke in your car but i hate when the A/C smells like old cigs
I don't smoke and no one, I mean no one, is allowed to smoke in my cars or my home. I am not an anti-smoking nut (if someone wished to smoke, that's their business). I just have an overly sensitive olfactory sense (you would be amazed at the things I can smell) and will not allow certain things in my domain. I don't even wear after shave or cologne because it gets in my clothes and my car and I can't stand that. I won't even allow my wife to use hand lotion that stinks because she will touch things that I tough (yes, my nose is that sensitive).