Auto climate control blowing cold mostly, faulty air temp Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Auto climate control blowing cold mostly, faulty air temp Sensor?

Hey guys, as the title says I'm wondering about a faulty air temp Sensor? I say that because if I take it off auto and go to max heat I seem to get heat, but when I let it sorta do its thing, I can set. It to 26C or 28c and it'll blow cold, and at like 24c it'll Maybe have the ac going, meanwhile it's like 15c or less outside now.... So all summer no issues but now that it's.getting old... The cars staying cold!
​​​​​​
Could be a blend door but not sure which way to go with this. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
If I read your post correctly, it says you have heat and cold but your automatic temperature controls don't seem to control the temperature of the air that comes from your vents.If so, it could be your air mix motor/cable is not working. To check, turn on your car and have a buddy click the temperature button for the AC from Low (57 degrees) to High (85 degrees). If you look at the area highlighted in the attached image, you should see a lever move slightly each time your friend increases/decreases the temperature.

Usually, when the motor/cable is not working well, increasing the temperature will do nothing to that lever. Then after a set number of clicks (for example from 58 to 77), the lever will move a lot. This means the problem is either your mix motor or the cable.

Many have had success with cleaning the motor. You can run the diagnostic, but my diagnostic had no codes, even though my motor was bad.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-motor-956659/

Last two images come from this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ve-diy-747304/

The following users liked this post:
Octanee (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Wicked, thanks for the info, I'll check into it, it could very well be that as your saying, I was unaware the car had a flap/cable controlling coolant into the heater core, I figured my blend doors must be physically working just fine considering It does get heat, but just not finely. Will check into it tomorrow when I have the car and report back. thanks!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Advanced

update: I tested the functions tonight and got no codes.... When doing the temp sweep the actuator/cable/valve open from closed to open, However going from "low" to 1 point up, it goes from fully closed to fully open. I'd imagine low would entail maximum a/c operation/temp so makes sense to fully choke off the coolant flow. That being said I don't see that as being my issue for temp, The diagnostics never spat me out any numbers or anything, So i assume its fine, interestingly it seemed to be working OK tonight.... hmm....
Old 10-01-2018, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Octanee
update: I tested the functions tonight and got no codes.... The diagnostics never spat me out any numbers or anything, So i assume its fine, interestingly it seemed to be working OK tonight.... hmm....
I ran the diagnostic many times and never got a code. Yet my mix motor was bad. Cleaning did not fix it, so I checked the resistance according to a method in the service manual. That method told me my motor is out of spec by a lot.

With my motor, when I start on Low and click up, the lever under the hood will not move until my temperature reads 83 degrees. At 83, the lever will move a lot. So my car blows really cold air even at 82 degrees. At 83 degrees, the air gets warm. At Max, my air is hot.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by redbeard1
I ran the diagnostic many times and never got a code. Yet my mix motor was bad. Cleaning did not fix it, so I checked the resistance according to a method in the service manual. That method told me my motor is out of spec by a lot.

With my motor, when I start on Low and click up, the lever under the hood will not move until my temperature reads 83 degrees. At 83, the lever will move a lot. So my car blows really cold air even at 82 degrees. At 83 degrees, the air gets warm. At Max, my air is hot.
Interesting, so in theory it shouldn't move full tilt one click up from low on the temp control, I'm going to keep an eye on it now but at least I got heat I suppose 🤷