Another CV joint thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another CV joint thread

Hey all, I need some help. I think i have a bad inner cv joint but not 100% sure. Basically when its cold, like below 40f outside I get a noise on the passenger side when i apply the gas. Its mostly apparent around 2000 RPMs and you can hear it up from there. as soon as I let off the gas the noise is gone. Once I drive for about 20 minutes the noise is basically gone. I cant feel any vibration in the car from the noise but it sounds like a grinding / rumbling noise. having the heat on or off has no effect, if i rev in neutral it has no noise at all. also I dont think turning has much effect on the noise, when I turn left it might be slightly more noticeable but not by much. I have a couple videos linked, you might have to turn it up a bit to hear the noise im talking about. Thanks for any help everyone.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Having just had one of my CV's fail this past July, this is fresh in my memory.

My noise was more of a CLICKING. If you've never rebuilt a CV, think of a ball bearing with EXCESSIVE axial play and each click is when each bearing slams into the outer "race". And my clicking was pretty much only when turning, either direction. The harder the turn, the faster the click since that's when the CV's are taxed the most. On straights, I don't think I ever heard any clicking.

Since you described it exactly as "rumbling", and your video's do sound similar of my subie.... yours sounds VERY much like an exhaust leak. Most likely a gasket, or bent flange. You're not hearing it revving in neutral cuz the engine isn't under any load. With the car on ramps I'd give the exhaust a good visual inspection, an exhaust leak should be pretty obvious with carbon deposits around the area.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
Having just had one of my CV's fail this past July, this is fresh in my memory.

My noise was more of a CLICKING. If you've never rebuilt a CV, think of a ball bearing with EXCESSIVE axial play and each click is when each bearing slams into the outer "race". And my clicking was pretty much only when turning, either direction. The harder the turn, the faster the click since that's when the CV's are taxed the most. On straights, I don't think I ever heard any clicking.

Since you described it exactly as "rumbling", and your video's do sound similar of my subie.... yours sounds VERY much like an exhaust leak. Most likely a gasket, or bent flange. You're not hearing it revving in neutral cuz the engine isn't under any load. With the car on ramps I'd give the exhaust a good visual inspection, an exhaust leak should be pretty obvious with carbon deposits around the area.
hmm so what exactly is that going to mean for a repair? this car has been nothing but a money pit since I got it really regret buying it 90% of the time lol. thanks for the reply and help.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Just wanted to check back, in case anyone else runs into a similar sound. Checked around exhaust and all looked ok. Finally took her in and the side engine mount was shot. Replaced all my mounts and now the noise is gone.