Ingalls Adjustable Ball Joint vs. Ingalls Adjustable Control Arm with Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ingalls Adjustable Ball Joint vs. Ingalls Adjustable Control Arm with Ball Joint

I own a 2001 CL-P and bought RonJon Sport Design Legend Type II wheels (20" x 8.5" with +52 offset) and BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT tires (225/35ZR20/XL). As for my suspension, I bought a Ksport Kontrol Pro Damper System with custom rear spring weights to help accommodate the weight of my audio system (200 lbs. left/right) and an Eibach Anti-Roll-Kit (both front and rear sway bars). I want to lower my car so there is barely no gap between the tire and the fender. However, I do not want my tires to rub when I hit a bump or take a sharp turn. As for my alignment, I originally bought SPC Adjustable Ball Joints for the front with camber +1.50 ˚ to +3.00 ˚ (http://tiny.cc/n17nx) and SPC Rear Arms with Ball Joints for the rear with camber -2.00 ˚ to +4.00 ˚ (http://tiny.cc/9rp9p). I decided to exchange my SPC alignment kits with Ingalls alignment kits after reading the following: http://tiny.cc/3ool9.

I am going to buy the Ingalls SmartArm Adjustable Link, Camber/Toe, Rubber Bushings for the rear with adjustment range of -1.5 ˚ to +3 ˚ (http://tiny.cc/titjf) BUT I am unsure what I should get for the front. I am debating on whether I should get Ingalls Adjustable Control Arms with Ball Joints with adjustment range of +1˚ to +4˚ (http://tiny.cc/9us3m and http://tiny.cc/fvoua) or just Ingalls Adjustable Ball Joints with adjustment range of +1.5 ˚ to +3 ˚ (http://tiny.cc/zj27l). Which front Ingalls alignment kit is best for my set-up?

Last edited by Carmodifier; 06-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
From what i understand the ingalls rear is better choice than the spc rears, but for the front they should be about the same for the ball joints. As for whether to get the ingalls balljoints or the arms with the balljoints, it would come down to money and also i have heard the arms give more clearance than the ball joints because the ball joints have the screw/nut on top that can hit the shock tower if you lower car too much.

I was going thru the same decision process and i decided to keep my front spc for now and bought the ingalls rear. If i need to replace the spc front in the future i will get the full ingalls arms. Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
i emailed ingalls about the front ball joints. They are 14mm or so taller than OEM ones and if you're lowered you will likely bang the top fender wall on bigger dips. I'll be getting the full arms for the front soon. They also look to be wayyy easier to install than a ball joint.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
Did they tell you how much taller the full arms are? I have them sitting in a box waiting to go in when I feel like it.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brian6speed
From what i understand the ingalls rear is better choice than the spc rears, but for the front they should be about the same for the ball joints. As for whether to get the ingalls balljoints or the arms with the balljoints, it would come down to money and also i have heard the arms give more clearance than the ball joints because the ball joints have the screw/nut on top that can hit the shock tower if you lower car too much.

I was going thru the same decision process and i decided to keep my front spc for now and bought the ingalls rear. If i need to replace the spc front in the future i will get the full ingalls arms. Hope this helps.
Money is not really an issue; I would rather spend more money to receive a better product than save a couple bucks for a product that is inferior.

How do the Ingalls control arms compare to the OEM ones?
Originally Posted by gnuts
i emailed ingalls about the front ball joints. They are 14mm or so taller than OEM ones and if you're lowered you will likely bang the top fender wall on bigger dips. I'll be getting the full arms for the front soon. They also look to be wayyy easier to install than a ball joint.
I did not know that the Ingalls adjustable ball joints are taller than the OEM ones. To achieve barely no gap between my tire and fender is going to require a pretty significant drop (or at least I think it will). That's good info. to know!

Why do you say that the adjustable control arms with ball joints look easier to install than just the adjustable ball joints?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM

You have to press out the ball joints compared just unbolting the arms.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM
3.5 psi

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Did they tell you how much taller the full arms are? I have them sitting in a box waiting to go in when I feel like it.
they didn't say, but i thought they looked like they were the same as OEM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 PM

They may be a few MM taller. Not nearly as tall as the other ball joints, but there is a hump on it.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
I would go with the arms over the ball joints
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Instructor

I have decided to go with the Ingalls Adjustable Control Arms with Ball Joints instead of just the Ingalls Adjustable Ball Joints due to the information from this thread.

There are two adjustment ranges offered for the adjustable control arms with ball joints: -2˚ to +1-1/4˚ camber OR +1˚ to +4˚camber. I believe I should go with the +1˚ to +4˚camber adjustment range for my set-up. Is this correct?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 PM
3.5 psi

sounds right. When you lower the car you only get more negative camber. So you'd only want + adjustment. If you're going with no wheel gap you'll probably be more then -1 camber in the front.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I would go with the arms over the ball joints
Ingalls only offers adjustable control arms WITH ball joints for my car. They make adjustable control arms WITHOUT ball joints, but they are apparently not compatible with my car.

When you say "I would go with the arms" you mean the adjustable control arms WITH ball joints, correct?
Originally Posted by gnuts
sounds right. When you lower the car you only get more negative camber. So you'd only want + adjustment. If you're going with no wheel gap you'll probably be more then -1 camber in the front.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Lightning Motorsports

Has anyone purchased parts from Lightning Motorsports (http://lightningmotorsports.com/)? They have a "C" rating from the Better Business Bureau. I can buy the Ingalls Adjustable Control Arms with Ball Joints (for both sides) and the Ingalls SmartArm Adjustable Link, Camber/Toe, Rubber Bushings (for both sides) all for only $331.92! From my research, I would spend about twice as mush if I bought the parts from any other company. i.e. It would cost me $645.16 if I bought the parts from Assaultech Performance...