Am I screwed? Trunk release.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I screwed? Trunk release.

OK so I have researched this issue on this site and online. My trunk will not open. I have checked everything that everyone has said to check. The button under the dash won’t open it. It’s not locked by the switch in the glove compartment. I have tried moving the manual switch on the trunk lid. And I’ve even tried the pool cord. The fob the button under the dash and the pool cord all seem like they are connected and actuating. But it still will not open. Anyone know of any way to get it open? Dealer Was not any help they just want me to bring it in so they can look at it. But I asked him even if it’s just the trunk latch how are you going to open it to repair it. Obviously they’re not gonna tell me for free. But I’m hoping someone on here knows so I can get this taken care of.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Are you doing this by yourself? sometimes the gaskets stick and wont release the lid without some upward pressure on the trunk lid itself.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 PM
Cruisin'

I’ve tried everything. Pulling up pushing down, pounding on the spot and nothing.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you open the pass through behind the rear center armrest can you reach the safety release inside the trunk?
Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

OK before we go any further when I say that I have literally tried every single thing possible, it means that I really have. I did all my research on this website alone and I have tried both manual release is pushing down pulling up beating on the trunk no matter what I do it will not open. Should I try crawling in there and unbolting the latch from the trunk lid? I don’t know if I can get to it. I will have to check this evening. But I have tried everyThing that I could find on this site. The manual release on the trunk lid doesn’t work the manual release cable does not work but everything seems to be actuating as it should. When you hit the key fob button and the button on the dash you can see the emergency release switch move that is located on the trunk lid. At this point I can only assume that the latch itself is not engaging.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Do you have any enemies fond of Super-Glue?

Sorry, not helpful, I know.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:40 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigA1987
OK so I have researched this issue on this site and online. My trunk will not open. I have checked everything that everyone has said to check. The button under the dash won’t open it. It’s not locked by the switch in the glove compartment. I have tried moving the manual switch on the trunk lid. And I’ve even tried the pool cord. The fob the button under the dash and the pool cord all seem like they are connected and actuating. But it still will not open. Anyone know of any way to get it open? Dealer Was not any help they just want me to bring it in so they can look at it. But I asked him even if it’s just the trunk latch how are you going to open it to repair it. Obviously they’re not gonna tell me for free. But I’m hoping someone on here knows so I can get this taken care of.
There is a glow-in-the-dark latch inside the trunk, you could remove your back seats and get to it like that. If it opens manually, you may have an issue with the actuator.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigA1987
OK before we go any further when I say that I have literally tried every single thing possible, it means that I really have. I did all my research on this website alone and I have tried both manual release is pushing down pulling up beating on the trunk no matter what I do it will not open. Should I try crawling in there and unbolting the latch from the trunk lid? I don’t know if I can get to it. I will have to check this evening. But I have tried everyThing that I could find on this site. The manual release on the trunk lid doesn’t work the manual release cable does not work but everything seems to be actuating as it should. When you hit the key fob button and the button on the dash you can see the emergency release switch move that is located on the trunk lid. At this point I can only assume that the latch itself is not engaging.
This may or may not be helpful but when you say you’ve tried everything possible, at any point did you have someone else there to yank the trunk lid open WHILE you were pulling on the manual release cord through the rear seat opening? My TL has always had to be forced open during that split second where the electronic release is actuated and if yours isn’t working, you might have to do the same while pulling the manual release. If the hatch itself is stuck, then there’s no amount of “unlatching” that will make it open without force applied at the same time. Try having someone pull up on the lid at the same time you are pulling the cord. The cord has a surprising amount of travel before it actually opens the latch, so make sure you’re really yanking on the cord while someone is trying to pry it open.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by TPA_GRUNGE_97
This may or may not be helpful but when you say you’ve tried everything possible, at any point did you have someone else there to yank the trunk lid open WHILE you were pulling on the manual release cord through the rear seat opening? My TL has always had to be forced open during that split second where the electronic release is actuated and if yours isn’t working, you might have to do the same while pulling the manual release. If the hatch itself is stuck, then there’s no amount of “unlatching” that will make it open without force applied at the same time. Try having someone pull up on the lid at the same time you are pulling the cord. The cord has a surprising amount of travel before it actually opens the latch, so make sure you’re really yanking on the cord while someone is trying to pry it open.
I bet the hasn’t tried that...

Btw you can get an “automatic” trunk spring off eBay for a few dollars, it may help break the seal when you open your trunk. It worked wonders for my silver TL.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (06-23-2020)