6 spd...3rd gear grinding...TSB..can I demand a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
6 spd...3rd gear grinding...TSB..can I demand a fix?

I have the third gear issue, and I'm aware of the TSB. Took it in when I got it at 49k, and they changed the m/t fluid, seemed to help a bit. Now it's doing it more.

The car is still under powertrain warranty.

Do I have the right to "bitch" or demand anything if they won't fix it?

They acknowledged it when I initially took it in, but didn't offer to fix it; they changed the fluid instead.

I don't want to fork over thousands in a few years time because of this.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ajt123
I have the third gear issue, and I'm aware of the TSB. Took it in when I got it at 49k, and they changed the m/t fluid, seemed to help a bit. Now it's doing it more.

The car is still under powertrain warranty.

Do I have the right to "bitch" or demand anything if they won't fix it?

They acknowledged it when I initially took it in, but didn't offer to fix it; they changed the fluid instead.

I don't want to fork over thousands in a few years time because of this.
Since there is a TSB out on this, they should fix the problem, up to and even including a new transmission. So you're still having to deal with this? You have two options. Have them really fix it or drain and fill with General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid (#12377916).
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
As far as I'm concerned it has a faulty syncro(s), so yes they should do a replacement as long as it is covered by the powertrain warranty. Some recommend trying the GM fluid, but that is only a bandaide to cover up the problem. If it grinds or pops out of gear with the OE fluid, it should be fixed.

A lot of talk about the 5 AT problems, but the 6 MT's aren't much better as the syncros just don't last, and then there is the clutch assembly..........
Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
before you start bitching or demanding ask them -you will get further that way
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
As far as I'm concerned it has a faulty syncro(s), so yes they should do a replacement as long as it is covered by the powertrain warranty. Some recommend trying the GM fluid, but that is only a bandaide to cover up the problem. If it grinds or pops out of gear with the OE fluid, it should be fixed.

A lot of talk about the 5 AT problems, but the 6 MT's aren't much better as the syncros just don't last, and then there is the clutch assembly..........
Some people have had no problems whatsoever (like me) while others have had problems with the tranny and/or their clutch assemblies. One has to wonder if the components used were just not up to any sort of real abuse. The clutch has needless complexity built in and the tranny problems some are having does seem to point to inferior materials.

Does make one wonder.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 spd...3rd gear grinding...TSB

First...sorry to hear about the GRINDING...I have a 2007 Type-S 6MT...doing the same thing occasionally. I first noticed it shifting into 3rd... about a month ago.

You do have the opportunity to have the dealership repair that, considering their is a TSB on it. Second as you continue to grind it...those "shavings" are not helping ...even when they changed the fluid. Get it in to repair it...probably the syncros and replace the fluids again. I agree you do not have to "bitch" to get them to work on it. You can go far with the knowledge you acquire from these forums as I have! Ask the service writer what their next step will be, considering it will not be their first rodeo...they have seen this often. Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I brought my car in for the 6th gear grind, I had a copy of the TSB in hand, and 3 quarts of GM synchromesh in the trunk. They put me in a TSX loaner for a week, and replaced 3 pages worth of parts (synchros, the whole nine yards). If you are polite and seem knowledgeable, the whole process should go in your favor. Demanding or bitching will get you nowhere, and they will just give you Acuras CC number to wash their hands of the situation.

J
Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Pro

Lol, nah guys you got me all wrong. My bad. I didn't mean literally bitch and demand stuff, as I am on very, very good terms with the dealer. I just mean, can I respectfully say, "Umm no, you need to fix it (because of the TSB)," IF they don't seem receptive to doing it. They didn't really say "No, we won't fix it," rather, they were more like, "Let's change out the fluid and see how it does." Doesn't seem to be making a difference. Like I said, the dealer and I, we're tight. The service manager has done things for me that he didn't have to (like fixing a rattle and replacing a blown speaker AFTER the b2b warranty was out, giving me a new (free) battery when I didn't even know I needed one, etc.). So I am very impressed with the dealer so far. What I'm saying is, if they try to back out of doing thousands of dollars worth of work to my car that needs to be done, do I have the right to counter?

And I sort of disagree about the tranny issues, aside from the 3rd gear issue, it's rock solid. My clutch? Still will peel out (for a sec, not just "bark") in second if you pop it hard enough, and I've got almost 60k on it. I also love the way it snick snicks through the gears. Honda does manuals right.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
And I sort of disagree about the tranny issues, aside from the 3rd gear issue, it's rock solid. My clutch? Still will peel out (for a sec, not just "bark") in second if you pop it hard enough, and I've got almost 60k on it. I also love the way it snick snicks through the gears. Honda does manuals right.
Disagree on the trans issue? The 3rd gear issue is part of the trans and is problematic, so I would believe that there is a trans issue as in most of the 6 MT cars!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Lol, nah guys you got me all wrong. My bad. I didn't mean literally bitch and demand stuff, as I am on very, very good terms with the dealer. I just mean, can I respectfully say, "Umm no, you need to fix it (because of the TSB)," IF they don't seem receptive to doing it. They didn't really say "No, we won't fix it," rather, they were more like, "Let's change out the fluid and see how it does." Doesn't seem to be making a difference. Like I said, the dealer and I, we're tight. The service manager has done things for me that he didn't have to (like fixing a rattle and replacing a blown speaker AFTER the b2b warranty was out, giving me a new (free) battery when I didn't even know I needed one, etc.). So I am very impressed with the dealer so far. What I'm saying is, if they try to back out of doing thousands of dollars worth of work to my car that needs to be done, do I have the right to counter?

Not when they are experiencing enough problems from buyers that they found it necessary to issue a TSB. There really is no excuse for these things to have occurred. The manual transmission is not rocket science and reached levels of perfection long before most people on this site were born. Honda just flat screwed up it appears. I am one of the fortunate ones to have never had any of these problems. It would really be interesting to see what the percentage is of those who have.

At just over 75,000 miles with my '04 TL, I can also break traction in first second and third gears when getting on it hard. I expect a clutch to last longer than my ownership of the car and with every manual I have owned (which is all of my cars but one), that has been the case. I see the Acura clutch assembly as needlessly complex and frankly more prone to problems. I have not had any, but why introduce complexity where it is not needed? Once again, clutching systems are also not rocket science.

Not a rant against anyone... just simple observations.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 05-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
6th Gear

Quick update...Today I had the car into the dealer to address the 3rd gear issue. While "Jason" the technician was trying to get 3rd gear to grind the service manager asked if i would like to have in inspected...considering they expire 2 months from now..."sure" I said. I mentioned that it is an intermittent issue and that there is a TSB on this problem...he said " OK, we will check it out". After the inspection was done and the service writer called me back...to show me they blew the trans!...(just kidding) NO, NO he showed me that they ordered the "3rd gear set up" for the specific TSB...about 3 pages! I drop it off next Friday. I will keep you posted. The dealerships will address and fix the issue at hand (They get paid to do the warranty work)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Cool. Hope it eliminates your problem.

FWIW, with a TSB you (the owner) can't really "demand" that the TSB be applied. You have to meet all the criteria of the TSB which often includes a limited VIN range and a series of trouble-shooting steps.

Also, if you're out of warranty they can deny the TSB. You can sometimes get "good will" coverage when you're out of warranty.

A TSB, essentially, is a an optional or limited fix. A Recall is NOT an optional fix (for the dealer/manufacturer) regardless of warranty expiration.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I do not want to burst the bubble, but I got mine 3rd gear syncro replaced several months ago and the problem is slowly coming back, so whatever the dealer did, it barely fixed the problem for 5-6 months.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

Had my 3rd gear synchros replaced under TSB at 79,000 miles. Before the service 3rd gear was sticky, grindy, and would pop out, or refuse to engage. Now, I just hit 92,000 miles and 3rd gear has gone from the worst gear in the box, to the best. It's still smooth, firm, and engages like it's being pulled out of my hand like a magnet. Love those 3rd gear double clutch downshifts for overtaking!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by shub
Had my 3rd gear synchros replaced under TSB at 79,000 miles. Before the service 3rd gear was sticky, grindy, and would pop out, or refuse to engage. Now, I just hit 92,000 miles and 3rd gear has gone from the worst gear in the box, to the best. It's still smooth, firm, and engages like it's being pulled out of my hand like a magnet. Love those 3rd gear double clutch downshifts for overtaking!

Good for you. This is how you do it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
and you guys wonder why there are synchro issues!!!
Oh I love to double down and do max rpm downshifts- pretending to be a race car driver all the time in town--and I leave my foot on the clutch at lights so I am ready to blast off in a fury of smoke or traction~

A TSB is a `Technical Service Bulletin`- meant for acura techs and those who subscribe to major tech services acura sells info to- so they can fix odd problems

When someone discovers a prob and fix- they issue a TSB so other dealers dont waste time searching for problem- if it has these symptoms- ck this! simple system that works well for distributing repair information nation and worldwide

In the TSB- many have a clause saying if the fix doesnt work, or certain damage is found, then warranty will cover replacement of said part

TSB are not mandatory repairs or recalls- they are technician `cheat sheets`
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Bearcat94 I appreciate the info. All is good i just picked up the car today totally fixed! After a week and a half and a 2010 TL loaner car with 950 miles on it. I love my Type-S way better than the 2010.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
6th Gear

Update on the TSB 08-018. I received my car back today after the Dealership had it since 5/28/2010. I have to commend the dealership here in PA, they replaced the third gear set and much more...shaft RE,sleeve,gear RE,bearing,washer...for 4th and 5th, and reverse. The car shifts smooth with no "grind", "popping" etc. Glad to have it back. The dealer had me in a 2010 TL Tech package 5spd AT...not a big fan. My sincere apologies to those who may own them.

As far as for TSB's I am well versed and aware of them...my father was a ASE Master-Tech for over 35years.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Pro

Okay then, I'm definitely going to suggest it next time I take the car in.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
10th Gear

Hey. I saw a lot of posts regarding the third gear issue on 3rd generation TLs. I havea 2005 TL and there is always this grinding feeling whenever I shift into the third and even into fourth. There was a TSB issued in April 2008 on the same.
I called up the dealer and they said that its going to be 159 as diagnostic fee and the rest would depend on the costs. I know it’s been seven years for this car and there is no warranty but I just purchased this car couple of weeks back. I can use the GM Synchro FM fluid but that won’t fix the true problem. I am new to U.S. and would really appreciate some feedbacks on how I can best resolve the issue with the dealers.
a. Can I maybe convince them to help me out with some goodwill on the total cost. Is that even a possibility.
b. Should I go to a local trusted mechanic and get the 3rd gear synchronizer or 3-4 shift sleeve replaced.
c. Should I just continue on with it using the GM Synchro FM fluid and hope that the transmission doesn’t give up on me anytime soon. (if so the threads on the same are atleast a year old. Hence, any new suggestions on where I can get the fluid from. If not, I will just use the link from older posts.
Any suggestions from someone who faced similar problem out of warranty would be great.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd gear issue

Anyone have the link to the TSB on this 3rd gear issue?
Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by ant548

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB3rdGearGrind.pdf (72.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:16 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by ant548
Before embarking on the TSB, buy three quarts of ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified and use it to replace the MTF in your transmission. The odds are pretty high the new MTF will cure your transmissions ills (just like it fixed the third gear grind/pop out issue on my car).