3rd generation tinting horror-help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 3rd generation tinting horror-help

So I'm an AVID fan of Acura. Always have been. Recently, I traded in my 06 Nighthawk Black NAVI, for the 08 Carbon Bronze TL-S...By all means...I love the choice. Its everything I would have wanted to change about my car to include red lighting! haha. (I'd be lying if I said I didn't sigh everytime I see a black TL...BUTTT I sure don't miss cleaning it!)

An so, as estatic as I was...It needed tint. ASAP. I just felt open to the world. So I goto a local guy and hand over the car. 2 weeks later- 2 of the 4 windows look like Dr. Pepper...these airbubbles EVERYWHERE. So I go back and I get it replaced.

Then I head down to Bronx...and on my way to the supermarket, I see the MEANEST scratch on the rear window. So i freak to F--K out! So I tell myself...I've already dealt with this man upstate TWICE...If I see him the third time, Its not gonna be pretty.

So I seek someone down there to do a quick fix, because imprefection is non-optional. Of course I look for the reknown one...and So after speaking with this, of what I thought, knowledgeable gentleman, He told me that with particular Hondas and Acuras, the weather strip holds so tight to the door that dirt gets trapped and the tint get scratched. I had NEVER heard this, I had my 06 tinted, with slight scratches...never knew it was due to an issue. So I'm happy! Finally, someone who knows how to do there job!

So he tells me the whole process...Oh, I'll replace the rear window and this and that, and Ill have to remove all the panels so I can trim the weather strip!.. "OK" I said! No more invested time , no nothing...I mean they were just TRIMMING them...not removing them.

Trimming? YEA? Well tell that to the wind noise BLASTING through my cabin. MY 08 TL SOUNDS LIKE A 89 INTEGRA! Are you flipping kidding.... So now Im zing. and I contact this guy and Im like Dude, this is far from cool...and he tells mem hes been doing this for yearrrrs and that Im the only one that ever had a problem with wind noise. Anyone wanna guess how much ONE trim is from ACURA? Go 'head....I bet ya you're close...DING DING DING.. $78.00 A POP! And now this apparent godsend, is gonna cost me $320.00 in parts and labor to fix. He tells me that that strip would not cause you to hear noise.... and that he was unaware of any felt installs or anything called MOLESKIN.

I am so livid at this point, I have no idea what to do. Do I stop payment on my credit card for this guy? I mean, I sat there and was aware of his trimming process with the absolute beliefe that it wasnt going tonaffect anthing else...and now, Im assed out, because this retard butchered my car...I mean, where else can I find something as specific as acura weatherstripping, I mean really...thats only a dealer item, and I dont want GHETTO aftermarket. Any suggestions?

Here I am, a month an half later, and Ive wasted the equilvient of 8 hours and $370.00 on tint that is STILL A HOT MESS.

I was literally hysterical yesterday because all I want is for ONE PERSON...just one, to know there occupation...I mean really, is it THAT hard? Ignorance is a growing epidemic.

So do you think I should stop payment? Try and get this guy to replace moldings he swears arent making the noise? YEAAAA THATSSS NOT GONNA HAPPEN... And now...how do I fix this...I'm coming out of pocket $300 to reverse what this JACKA** did...just to get it back to the orignal way it was when it was still scratching the tint!

I just need someones advice...I need to know theres other people who had the cabin noise issues, and that this is not something fabricated. Becasue the minute I go back to Acura, there gonna see that they're trimmed. When its so new and under warranty, they have to send them back, and when they see the damage, they're gonna chargeback on the warranty issue, and charge me anyway.

HELP....PLEASE

Last edited by nicky767; 09-20-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
ok, do this:
call up tim @ hondaacuraworld.com, he can get you the cheapest pricing on parts needed to fix it. Make sure you have the part numbers or a good description of what you need.

Also I would cancel the payment and demand that the shop pay to have them fix the stupidity of their worker, he should have been smart enough to trim it slightly, not take the damn thing off.

also welcome to the forums, you will find a wealth of info here, and as a fair warning seeing the modificaitons on other TL's here will make you want to spend money, so keep your cards locked up.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your info...i should have joined this site a while back...it just has a boatload of ideas, and i have only one car to do it on...haha! This should be fun. thank you again.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine! It's truly a great day for you!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
WOW that really sucks! Stop payment before it is too late!!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry to hear this, i just had my buddy tint my car for me, and even he knew TL's and TSX's required moleskin.

so pick up the parts you need and bring your new window gaskets to a near tint shop and get them to moleskin them before you get them reinstalled.=)
Old 09-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard great work from Steve from www.tintmax.com. His shop is in queens. And from what I heard from other members, he will put moleskin and tint on with a lifetime guaranteed.

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can recommend is that before you do any thing to your car, research it here. This whole situation is a perfect example.

I got my car tinted in June and the passenger side moleskin just came off...Its all sorts of f'd up. So i can sort of feel your pain, especially after paying good money to have it "done right"
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
I heard great work from Steve from www.tintmax.com. His shop is in queens. And from what I heard from other members, he will put moleskin and tint on with a lifetime guaranteed.

get it done right..get it done once. Steve is the man to go to.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw the tint.