2006 Acura TL Battery light randomly coming on

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Acura TL Battery light randomly coming on

My battery light has recently started to come on randomly and drains the charge in my battery. The alternator passed the test at AutoZone and I took it to a generator/alternator shop. He replaced the regulator in it and said everything else was fine in it as he has done some work on it before. When the regulator in the alternator was replaced, my battery light did not come on for a good two whole days. When the light usually comes on its with 30 seconds to 5 minutes of me starting my car whether I'm driving or just sitting idle, it doesn't matter. Some times I'll have days when the light doesn't come on at all. What I've been doing is getting my battery charged (is this bad for the battery? Will it shorten its lifespan if I get recharged a lot?) at either AutoZone or Walmart until I figure out the problem.

190,000 miles on the car
Battery is brand new, only a month old.
Serpentine belt doesn't look worn out nor does it make a noise indicating that it is slipping. (Can serpentine belts even slip?)
No noticeable cables that look damaged from what I can tell

But from what I'm guessing it must be an electrical problem since it varies as to when the battery light comes on. But when I drive it usually does come on more than it doesn't. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be? Has anyone encountered something like this? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
I would still test the battery with a multimeter.

Could be your battery cables. They rarely look damaged because of the insulation around them but it happens sometimes that they're broken inside. It could also be your ring connectors being loose on the battery.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by KiTTyOnRoiDs
My battery light has recently started to come on randomly and drains the charge in my battery...

Battery is brand new, only a month old.
Did you get the new battery before or after the light started coming on?

First, check the cable clamps on the battery side for tightness and corrosion-- the negative clamp is borderline oversize for the post and sometimes gets loose.
Then check the negative ground and alternator connection.
Also check the positive cable for a couple of feet behind the battery clamp-- feel for corrosion.

A defective HFL (stays on for more than 30 minutes after the car has been turned off) has been known to drain batteries, but the battery light doesn't activate unless the battery is bad.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Did you get the new battery before or after the light started coming on?
I got the new battery after the light started coming on so I know it's not that. I'll check the cables, but how would damaged cables turn the battery light on? I thought the light meant that my car is running on ony the battery which means that it has to be something that works with the alternator right?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
I'll check the cables, but how would damaged cables turn the battery light on? I thought the light meant that my car is running on ony the battery which means that it has to be something that works with the alternator right?
The battery light indicates that the battery is not being charged, but IDK if that light activates when the battery is not properly connected due to a loose or corroded cable.

If not, then the alternator needs to be tested and its connections checked.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
...and said everything else was fine in it as he has done some work on it before....
What other work did he do on your alternator and why?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

My battery light started doing the same thing yesterday. It will stay on when I first start my car but turns off after about a minute of driving and seems to go away once I have picked up speed. The light turns back on after I come to a stop for a extended period of time (doesn't come on at a stop sign or stop light). I'm going to drop by autozone on my way home from work this afternoon, i'm worried it's the alternator. I purchased my battery 6-8 months ago so there's no way its already going out. Plus, the previous owner disconnected the bluetooth because he said it was draining the battery so my bluetooth is turned off.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
to check and see if the battery or alternator doing as following.

1. Start the car up and let it run.

2. disconnect one of the battery terminal.

3. DO NOT rev your engine while the car running WITH disconnected battery, this can damage other electronic in your car due to overload in spike voltage.

4. If the car shut off it's your alternator gone bad, if the car does not stop and continue to run for 15 mins then it's your battery.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
If your sure your battery and alternator are good than you have a bad ground somewhere.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

I took my car to the dealer yesterday, turns out it was the alternator. Had to get it replaced. Battery is fine.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Turned out to be my alternator after all. I guess it was just in a dying stage or something. The light started coming on all the time so I took it to an auto store and had it tested while in the car and it was the alt. Went ahead and bought a new one and now everything is good. Had to get a 2nd alternator though because the first one I received was faulty.