08 TL-S Brake noise - Dealer says brake service $160.???

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 08 TL-S Brake noise - Dealer says brake service $160.???

Bought my TL-S in Jan.08 and now has 19,000,km on it(12,00miles) and my brakes are squeeky and on top of that when I started my car this morning after being away for a week the rear calipers were seized and the two rear wheels would not turn.

I drove forward and back and that seemed to fix it.

Call the dealer to see what could be the problem and they said the brakes need service?? they quoted $160. Is there NO warranty that covers squeeky brakes after 19,000km??? All highway and the car is Garage kept.

I had a Dodge Durango and it had a brake problem at 20,000km and the replaced everything ( pads and rotors under warranty).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

anyone???

If there a TSB on this issue???
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
So you are a Canada car?
The park brakes may have gotten stuck on- never heard of it but anything is possible~
Brake noises can come from loss of grease- like driving thru car wash takes it off
Also driving the car very gently on the brakes will do it- pad glaze

If the calipers were siezed, you would have drug the wheels and left rubber on the ground.
The dealer would have to inspect the brakes to see whats wrong- if its a warranty prob they take care of it- if its a useage prob- they can deglaze the pads and rotors and send you out. Check owner book for different warranty on different parts of the car

If the car was parked with the park brakes on as tight as you can get them- maybe it was just too much for a week at that pressure
The park brakes are mini drum brakes located INSIDE the center of the rear rotor- go look at the hub - see how wide it is- the brake shoes are inside there!

TSB are not recalls- they are tech bulletins shared within acura- based on probs and solutions found by techs at all the dealers
You can call acura-care canada with your VIN number and ask if there are any
otherwise:
If you have had the brakes checked for wear and everything is ok- do a pad bedding session- do it 2-3 times in successive days to deglaze and recondition the pads and rotors

here is a good method- read and understand it before doing it
NOT stopping is crucial- just slowing down- no stoppping with red hot parts touching!!!
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.. The thing is I dont use the parking brake/e-brake and the car was in the garage for the week.

The tires were dragging on the ground while I was pulling out of it. I had to put the car in reverse and then forward to free them up.

I just think a brake service for $160 for a car that is 7 months old is way out to lunch.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about the rears locking up, but yeah the Brembos sqeak pretty bad until they heat up for some reason!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by theakman
Thanks for the reply.. The thing is I dont use the parking brake/e-brake and the car was in the garage for the week.

The tires were dragging on the ground while I was pulling out of it. I had to put the car in reverse and then forward to free them up.

I just think a brake service for $160 for a car that is 7 months old is way out to lunch.
theakman,

You need to follow the maitenance schedule that comes with your car. Brake service is part of it and it must be done when the manufacturer advice it to be done.
There is a maintenance reminder that tells you when to service your breaks, if you did follow it, they must fix any defects in your car at any time.
You can not do extra maintenance to your car whenever your dealer says it so, your car was designed to need ceartain amount of care and that is taken care with the m. reminder.

I remember when I owned my brand new altima, they machined the front disks 3 times for free and then they said if I keep pushing the brake that hard I will have to pay next time. But these guys from Acura service would not even try to solve your problem but charge you first, lol.

Don't forget, as long as you do the recommended maintenance on your vehicle you should be headache free, keep this in mind when you call Acura.

Catalin
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

I get what you are saying but anyone who knows how dealers work knows brake service is "BULLSH*T".

I was a tech at Toyota and brake service is a simple cleaning of the rotors,calipers and lube the sliders. If needed they would cut the rotors.

My car is garaged, and stored clean hence dry and clean. There isnt a spec of corrosion on my rotors. It seems to be the calipers on the rear are seizing. Yes Brake sercvice would solve my problem but at such low miles it just means that they werent lubricated well from the begining.

Any vehicle under 20,000kms should have no issues.. when I worked for Toyota our warranty covered even the wipers under 20,000kms.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Hi theakman,

I didn't know they only clean the calipers, rotor and lube the sliders as a break service, I am glad to hear that.
I was going to replace the pads, took them off when I noticed they were only 50% worn, hence I put them back on. But I was worried what a 'breake service is and was worried I can not do it by myself when time comes to actually replace the pads.
But definitely I can do the cleaning...

About your issues with the dealer charging you the break service, make sure you can reproduce it again at the dealer, then ensure you have all papers showing you have done the maintenance according to the manual.
If the dealer refuses the service, call Acura.