05 TL "bucking" when taking off and loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 TL "bucking" when taking off and loss of power.

I have an 05 TL with 84,000 miles on it. When I am at a complete stop and take off, the more gas I give it the more it seems to buck or hesitate. The rpm's dont jump, and the transmission isnt slamming like its going out. Someone told me this could be an issue with the cat converter or the o2 sensor. The best way to explain what it is doing is by saying it bucks, when i lay on the gas pedal it starts to take off then slows back down like a loss of power and it will do this about 2 to 3 times then slowly gain more power and finally it will take off. It seems to get a little worse as time goes by.. and my car also doesnt seem to have to power and get up and go like it used to. I have kept it serviced and changed the oil myself every 3k miles, changed the tranny fluid every 20-30k miles, the air filter.. ect.. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi! Read through this thread carefully:
Throttle surging: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/surging-cruise-light-throttle-729633/
DIY APP replace: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/diy-app-sensor-730958/

A handful of people with similar symptoms have resolved this problem by replacing the accelerator pedal position sensor. Unfortunately there are tons of possible causes.

BUT--seeing as how you have described my symptoms exactly, I have a *possible* fix for you, and it does not involve the APP sensor:

No matter what you do or what you drive, this trick will help you keep down deposits inside your engine. You see, additives themselves will make deposits and/or create a deposit that is different from the one made by base gasoline alone. If you think about this for a moment, you'll come to realize that your engine will build some kind of deposit based upon what additive you are using. Yes, it will build at a slower rate, but it will build deposits. At some level this will taper off (but this is maximum deposits and what Corvette owner wants that!). So what do you do? Simple, switch to a different brand of gasoline (this will almost assure you of getting a different additive but not always. Some companies buy additives from other companies, so it could be the same. More on this later). What this will do, is the new additve will look at the deposit formed from the old additive as foreign and begin removing it. Now after 5000 miles, you'll be rid of this deposit but you'll have a new one from your most recent additive, so switch back and start the process all over again. As an analogy, this is like building an immune response to an anti-biotic, so your doctor gives you a new one. I know of absolutely no additive that will work as well as switching back and forth between additives. On a molecular level this makes perfect sense.
-- SOURCE

According to this fuel chemist, a dirty fuel system (injectors especially, which can cause problems like yours) can be cleaned by the additives from a different brand of fuel. About 2500 miles ago, I switched fuel brands and at this point the problem is gone. If it returns I will do the APP sensor.

Good luck and let us know your progress!!

--Edit to add: if you switch fuels, be patient; I went through ~3 tanks of gas before noticing any real improvement.

Last edited by asbestos; 06-29-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Im fairly certain its not an issue with the gas... I wish it was lol I guess ill take it to the Acura place sometime this week and mention those other things though and see what they say. I have a cv problem and the retards at this Acura place in Mobile, AL say they cant hear it clicking so not sure if they will be much help.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the mounts if the motor isnt sittin the intended way itll screw up all motion
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
What octane are you runnning? Sounds like it's pulling timing.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

well I always use the highest octance at the gas pumps.. which is usually 93... also, I was in 2 fender benders in one month, but I doubt that messed anything up (and no they werent MY fault) one was in the front and one was in the back... I got screwed every way lol
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How does it perform when it's cold?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

It does the same thing cold or hot. It does perform even more sluggish after driving for about an hour. but if your asking about the temp outside... I am in Mobile, AL and it is always HOT and humid here. the heat index today is like 100 degrees. I know its normal for it to not perform quite as well after getting hot, but my problem does get a little worse when heated up.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MWayne84
well I always use the highest octance at the gas pumps.. which is usually 93... also, I was in 2 fender benders in one month, but I doubt that messed anything up (and no they werent MY fault) one was in the front and one was in the back... I got screwed every way lol
If it's not the octane I would first go to the throttle position sensor and then to the EGR valve.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

what kinda fender benders?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

well the first one, this guy ran into me from behind in a mini van.. the rear bumper was replaced and the energy absorber and bar were ok... and the second one this lady hit me in the front right side... the front bumper was replaced and it actually knocked the horn off...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:08 PM
onyX.

i have some what this problem... maybe like 3 month ago i been noticing this weird thing my car slack when about to shift gear(sometimes from 2nd to 3rd and mostly 3rd to 4th) and i see it in the rpm's kinda hesitate as well. its driving me insane is it a tranny problem or what. btw i bought the car with 64k and really never did anything.. other than timing belt and spark plugs
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Well I went to the dealership today and got a mechanic to ride with me. I finally got it to replicate the problem one time, and he said "I didnt feel it, I just felt the road"... and the best he could come up with was it may be an ignition coil starting to go out and making it loose power when taking off. all the spark plugs look fine as if they are firing. They want like $100 an hour to try and figure it out. This is driving me insane!!! This TL and and the 03 CL-S I had previously have stayed in the shop.. I will NEVER buy another piece of *h*t honda product.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

that front impact couldve sent the car into "wackness" so i wouldnt blame honda's piece of shit, id blame your piece of shit accident. accidents send shocks through out your car...if its front end simply because the motor is running at the same time of the accident/impact and it probably has most of the looser parts inside, it'll absorb the shock and start acting funny.... ive had it happen on an 03 tl type s and then the car was junked not because of bad engine but because someone blew a stop sign a week out of the shop and ate the front of the car....totalling it out. but the first hit wasnt so bad...it just needed a radiator but the shock sent through the car was enough to throw the engine into shitsville. one of the pistons had a misfire/stumble things going on in low rpms and it needed a rebuild the body shop said deal with it or pay to rebuild.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

Im fairly certain its not an issue with the gas... I wish it was lol I guess ill take it to the Acura place sometime this week and mention those other things though and see what they say. I have a cv problem and the retards at this Acura place in Mobile, AL say they cant hear it clicking so not sure if they will be much help.
I was gonna bring mine to the one in Mobile but i guess im gonna have to go to another. Maybe I'll try the APP fix myself and see if it helps.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Well I went to the dealership today and got a mechanic to ride with me. I finally got it to replicate the problem one time, and he said "I didnt feel it, I just felt the road"... and the best he could come up with was it may be an ignition coil starting to go out and making it loose power when taking off. all the spark plugs look fine as if they are firing. They want like $100 an hour to try and figure it out. This is driving me insane!!! This TL and and the 03 CL-S I had previously have stayed in the shop.. I will NEVER buy another piece of *h*t honda product.
I understand your frustration. Have you tried upping the octane via unleaded race gas? If the problem goes away you know it's detonation. If it stays the same you've eliminated one possibility.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Cruisin'

No.. i havnt added octane. Its getting worse and worse.. When the car gets hot, it just doesn't want to take off at all. Its almost as if when I go to take off... it feels like I let off the gas... and as im accelerating faster and faster its really jumpy feeling.. It also does it when I first start driving it, but when once it gets hot, a power wheels will take off faster than me. Im going to order the app sensor and see if that helps any. But either way im getting out of this car before I have any more problems.. hopefully this month. I want a G35 coupe
Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be fuel pump? If its injectors try a bottle of Gumout High Mileage to see what will happen.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gumout sucks, use seafoam in crank case, in vac port, and gas tank.