'04 to '08 front lower control arm bushing failure - please read and look

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011 | 12:28 AM
Instructor

So I found out this morning that my right side is torn too. It is just ALOT less torn than the left side.... Here are some pics (first 2 are of the right bushing... And the last 1 is of the left bushing):
Here is the right side from the top of the bushing:

And just for reference, here is a pic of the left side from the top of the bushing:

So considering that I have been having progressive steering issues since last summer, and considering that I have taken my car to Honda NUMEROUS TIMES to diagnose the steering problem (while the car was under warranty too), and considering that I have had NUMEROUS alignments as a result of my steering problem...... AND bought 2 different sets of tires in a year's time, and NOW my car is out of warranty, I called the Honda dealer when I found out both bushings were bad.
I laced into the service advisor who has taken care of me everytime I have gone there. I expressed my disgust with their ability to diagnose and even attempt to look properly, and then he said, "well lets see, you came here in February with 57,000 miles..... That's weird because it says they checked your front end and all was good."
I then said, "I now have 62,000 miles.... You mean to tell me one bushing is torn completely through and that happened in 5,000 miles?"
Then he said, "No that generally takes some time to do."
I said, "EXACTLY... You guys dropped the ball.... I have been complaining about this for over 15k miles and you are NOT going to tell me that I'm paying to fix this! You better find some goodwill somewhere!"
I then threatened to go to Honda America with all my reciepts of the several alignments I did over the past 8 or so months, and the 2 sets of new tires, and my records of having gone to Honda SEVERAL times for front end checks.
We then continued exchanging words.....
He put me on hold for about 20 minutes... Then came back on and told me that he spoke to his manager and seeing how many times I have come in complaining of a front end problem and since they didn't diagnose it, they will replace the bushings for me without charging me for labor. I just have to supply the bushings.... 2 new compliance bushings from Honda are $46-ish for the pair....
So come Tuesday I am bringing my car into Honda and paying $46 or so to get my front compliance bushings replaced!!!! That is sooo much better than paying several hundred! I'm soo happy that they are doing this with my car being 14k miles out of bumper to bumper warranty!
At the end of the day though, in all actuality, its the least they can do for missing the problem for soooo long.... But I am thankful it is going to get fixed and for so little cost to me all things considered!
Old 04-26-2011 | 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

Came across this thread searching this exact issue I am having with my '06 TL. I just figured I would join so I could rant (but there is great information and I wish I found this forum sooner!!) - car is on a lift now getting the lower control arm replaced. - Driver side.
It currently has 104k miles on it.

YUCKely, I had no idea that this was happening and being the bushing is gone and worn out, it decided to crack the plate on the frame that holds the lower control arms itself. *grouchy*

The control arm with the bushings were about $325 just for the part. Though I don't mind light maintenance I didn't want to get in over my head with this.

Thanks for the good information - I just wished I found this sooner (both the forum and the bushing BS).
Old 04-26-2011 | 11:24 AM
Instructor

Good you found out...

My car is currently on the alignment rack at the Honda dealership right now... And I'm here using their WIFI lol... Took them about 2 hours to replace both front bushings, and once the car is off the rack and I have specs, I'll post them
Old 04-26-2011 | 04:51 PM
Instructor

Well I have good news and bad news... Good news is the bushings are in and the steering is MUUUUUCH tighter!!!!
Bad news is: When they gave me back the car the alignment was off... So I brought it back and the alignment is STILL off. Turns out their machine must be messed up because two alignment sheets printed out within 20 mins of each other gave front toe readings of -.6 and 0.0 (Left/right)...... And then -.6 and 1.2 (Left/right)..... They didn't adjust the right side between printouts they only adjusted the rear.
Also the readings for my caster and camber fluctuated between all 3 printouts I got... So NOW, my alignment is worse than it was when they initally finished the first alignment... Even though according to the printout, its in alingment now... SMFH!
Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to swing by Firestone (lifetime alignment) and see if they can align it for me after school. I'll keep posted
Old 04-27-2011 | 07:58 AM
3rd Gear

Well since replacing my bushing yesterday the steering is much tighter. They also did an alignment so that seems OK. I've also noticed that the "wobble" seems to be much less when cruising. I did ask them to rebalance the wheels and they told me they did the best they could, but the rims were slightly bent. This is the second person to tell me this.

I guess I'll be researching rims now ;-)
Old 05-03-2011 | 02:08 PM
Instructor

So after 16 months of back and forth with Acura they finally good willed my bushings today along with front and rear sway bars! They are also installing my aspec suspension! So it should handle like new when I get her back today!! Thanks to all who posted on this tread it's been very helpful!!
Old 05-13-2011 | 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone replaced the bushings themselves, and if so how difficult was it.
Old 05-17-2011 | 10:37 AM
Intermediate

I took my 2008 TL in today and the guy said Acura probably wouldn't replace it under warranty because it was 'normal' wear. They'd only replace it if it was hitting the frame, which seems stupid to me.

I guess I'll see when they call later today about it. Fingers crossed! I rolled it in at 61920. 80 miles to go
Old 05-17-2011 | 12:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I did it myself. Very easy to do...get yourself a balljoint separator, the kind that screws up and pushed it out...then just unbolt everything and take out the control arm.

Not worth the headache of pressing, trust me. Pay the $20 to your local machine shop and have them press them in for you. Pay attention to the side facing up and orientation as that does matter. I filled all the empty slots with 3M window weld poly for a tighter fit and to give some extra support.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011 | 01:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I did it myself. Very easy to do...get yourself a balljoint separator, the kind that screws up and pushed it out...then just unbolt everything and take out the control arm.

Not worth the headache of pressing, trust me. Pay the $20 to your local machine shop and have them press them in for you. Pay attention to the side facing up and orientation as that does matter. I filled all the empty slots with 3M window weld poly for a tighter fit and to give some extra support.

Good luck.
Pittman puller
Old 05-17-2011 | 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aggybong
I took my 2008 TL in today and the guy said Acura probably wouldn't replace it under warranty because it was 'normal' wear. They'd only replace it if it was hitting the frame, which seems stupid to me.

I guess I'll see when they call later today about it. Fingers crossed! I rolled it in at 61920. 80 miles to go

Well, just got the word that they won't replace them under warranty, and that it would be $500 if I still wanted to do it.

Bummer.
Old 06-06-2011 | 04:43 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Originally Posted by aggybong
Well, just got the word that they won't replace them under warranty, and that it would be $500 if I still wanted to do it.

Bummer.
Why $500?? The bushings themselves are about $50 for both and an experienced tech can have the car on the lift and remove the LCA's, press the old bushings out, press the new ones in and reinstall the LCA's pretty quickly. You're probably talking about 1.5 - 2 hours labor MAX for this job.
Old 06-06-2011 | 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Why $500?? The bushings themselves are about $50 for both and an experienced tech can have the car on the lift and remove the LCA's, press the old bushings out, press the new ones in and reinstall the LCA's pretty quickly. You're probably talking about 1.5 - 2 hours labor MAX for this job.
Justin, this is most likely because after issues with 2nd gen TL bushings getting improperly pressed in (falling out), Corporate now mandates that dealers replace the entire control arm with bushings already pressed in from the manufacturer. My buddy did mine with his press at work for dinner at Applebees
Old 06-12-2011 | 03:44 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Wow I wish I wouldve seen this sooner. Gotta hit up Acura parts tomorrow Bc I know mines gotta be F'ed.
Old 06-12-2011 | 07:51 PM
Instructor

Could someone please let me know.....where I could purchase bushing? or the control arms?.....I believe I have the exact issue....having vibration pull to sides in the road....did both kind of alignment and balancing and same issue...

So I am supposed to go to the dealer next week to diagnose the issue....if I tell them front just check the bushing....do they still have to charge me with diagnostic fee of $50? I guess not....please let me know your advise.....
Old 06-12-2011 | 10:23 PM

oemacuraparts.com
there are some vendors on here too that may be able to give you a decent price. with balljoint separator...some time...and a machine shop to press in, you're talking 2 hours of your time total. git er done...
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:52 PM
Instructor

oemacuraparts.com
there are some vendors on here too that may be able to give you a decent price. with balljoint separator...some time...and a machine shop to press in, you're talking 2 hours of your time total. git er done...
How could I find these vendors....also could you please let me know the part number.
Old 06-13-2011 | 06:05 PM
4th Gear

Oddly enough I have been surfing this forum for a few years and only when I noticed that metal on metal noise going over pot holes or ridges in the road did I start looking. Even stranger I stared at that bushing going that doesn't look right, came inside and pulled up this forum and here this thread is.

So instead of replacing my whole suspension with some Tein Basics, all I have to do his get a new lower control arm and bushings... Spose that would be cheaper.

Glad/Pissed that I'm not the only one with this issue...
Old 06-13-2011 | 07:04 PM

but with the TEIN's you could be LOW!!!
yeah, this will probably resolve it. Honestly, just order the bushings...the LCA's are likely FINE.
Old 06-13-2011 | 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

Sick of honda and acura, they lost me as a customer!!!

To set the record straight and cap on this thread that I'm subscribed for about almost 4 years, I think; here is my take:
I own a 2004 TL also previous Honda Prelude owner!!!

I did change both control arms for about $800 or so about close to 2 years ago, the bushings where cracked all the way, that time they couldn't replace just the bushing, NOW I REGRET IT BADLY!!!

Now I'm back at it, they started to crack and the tech said that now they can stamp the bushing for about 350+tax for both!!!

So if u think is worth it changing this every 2 years or so and shelling out $350+ u will not get much difference in handling to be honest not much at all and the worst that can happen is u'r tires not threading straight, the control arms or the bushing will not fall out!!!
The handling in this car is not that good to start with, u get all the feedback in the steering wheel, even brand new!!

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT JUST GO TO A PRIVATE SHOP AND GET A SECOND OPINION FROM A REAL MECHANIC (NOT A ACURA TECHNICIAN) IF IT'S WORTH SHELLING OUT $500 EVERY 2 OR SO YEARS FOR 2 BUSHINGs ON AN ACURA that should not have issues like this.

RELIABILITY MY ASS!!!!
Old 06-13-2011 | 11:07 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by tolea
To set the record straight and cap on this thread that I'm subscribed for about almost 4 years, I think; here is my take:
I own a 2004 TL also previous Honda Prelude owner!!!

I did change both control arms for about $800 or so about close to 2 years ago, the bushings where cracked all the way, that time they couldn't replace just the bushing, NOW I REGRET IT BADLY!!!

Now I'm back at it, they started to crack and the tech said that now they can stamp the bushing for about 350+tax for both!!!

So if u think is worth it changing this every 2 years or so and shelling out $350+ u will not get much difference in handling to be honest not much at all and the worst that can happen is u'r tires not threading straight, the control arms or the bushing will not fall out!!!
The handling in this car is not that good to start with, u get all the feedback in the steering wheel, even brand new!!

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT JUST GO TO A PRIVATE SHOP AND GET A SECOND OPINION FROM A REAL MECHANIC (NOT A ACURA TECHNICIAN) IF IT'S WORTH SHELLING OUT $500 EVERY 2 OR SO YEARS FOR 2 BUSHINGs ON AN ACURA that should not have issues like this.

RELIABILITY MY ASS!!!!
Fortunately I have access to a full shop and press and I love my car enough to drop a few bucks for a bushing every few years. Besides if I replace it now, I'll probably upgrade to a newer Acura in the next couple years anyways...
Old 06-14-2011 | 05:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shifty04
Fortunately I have access to a full shop and press and I love my car enough to drop a few bucks for a bushing every few years. Besides if I replace it now, I'll probably upgrade to a newer Acura in the next couple years anyways...
What are these shops? I would like to do mine....and I have no idea where I could get these done.
Old 06-14-2011 | 03:15 PM
Racer

Well, add me to the growing list of those subscribing to this thread. Went in for a free brake check recently and mechanic noted both LCA bushings torn through. He said don't bother fixing until it affects steering/handling. With 109,000 miles (one-owner), I'll consider myself lucky. Time to study up on LCA removal...
Old 06-14-2011 | 10:22 PM
Instructor

Could someone please let me know what kind of bushing should I buy....is there much more reliable bushing that I should buy than the OEM since it didn't last long?
Old 06-14-2011 | 11:38 PM
Advanced

Honestly though...if you have a machine shop locally...pay the $20 to have the new ones pressed in. Serious...take the arms out yourself and drop them off...come back in and hour and reinstall. Wasn't worth the headache IMO. That said, if you have a MONSTER press or vice, you can press them out pretty easily.

J.
If these break everyy 20k why not just buy a 6 ton press at harbor freight. They only cost $100. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 06-15-2011 | 06:15 AM

^^^because they don't break every 20K. And I don't have the room to house a 20 ton press in my garage and put the car in it. I'd rather go to a machine shop and have them press it for me for $20 every 3 or 4 years.

Either way...this is something that is not leaving the car stranded, so if you're questioning Honda reliability etc because you're angry you got swindled out of $850 for LCA's, I don't know what to tell you. Things on cars wear and tear, nothing you can do about that. I have had a lot of little things go on this car and it's a 1st production year model...most of which have been caused by my modding, none of which have left me stranded ever. Including battery dying...clutch slave cylinder. You guys need to set realistic expectations for your cars. Do they make them like they used to...NO...that's why it's a saying. With more power and lighter weight and bells and whistles and technology there's a LOT more to go wrong and stop working...so it will.
Old 06-15-2011 | 10:51 AM
Instructor

where is the spherical bearing upgrade!
Old 06-15-2011 | 03:51 PM
Advanced

^^^because they don't break every 20K. And I don't have the room to house a 20 ton press in my garage and put the car in it. I'd rather go to a machine shop and have them press it for me for $20 every 3 or 4 years.
You know a 6 ton press is the size of a 5 foot ladder right?
The thing comes apart in about 2 min and can be stored in pieces. Its consists of a 6 ton bottle jack and some steel beams.

Mine are ripped like the rest in the pictures posted although I'm not sure I'm concerned about it. Had no one pointed it out I probably would have never noticed.
Old 06-18-2011 | 09:02 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Just found this thread.... ever since i got snow tires last year the car pulled to the right a little and has wobble in it at higher speeds. I have had countless alignments (free since i exchange cnc machining for service i dont have the tools for) and changed tires thinking it was a directional tire issue. Tomorrow i will be checking the bushings i hope the are not ripped but i bet they are..... this puts a delay on my slotted rotors and pads i wanted to get....
Old 06-18-2011 | 09:04 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
What is the demand for pre-filled or re-engineered bushings? A Fastline Performance part possibility?
Whats the word on these?????
Old 06-19-2011 | 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hondaforlife954
Whats the word on these?????
I am waiting for a word on this too.....I am in for sure if MrHeeltoe could do this.......Pls let us know
Old 06-30-2011 | 09:19 AM
4th Gear

My TL has 87,000 miles and always pulled to the right slightly, no matter the alignment or old/new tires installed. I checked my bushings and they were split as others see. I purchased new bushings and did the job in my garage using only my vise with inserts to push the bushings out. No shop press needed.

I purchased a $12 dollar pitman puller from Harbor Freight and had to grind the jaws open a bit to clear the ball joint shoulder. It was somewhat hard to get the puller around the lower part of the control arm but it worked out OK.

The control arm comes out easy enough as do the bushings. My vise is a 6" heavy duty from Harbor Freight also.

Just wanted to say this job can be done at home with few special tools.
Old 07-06-2011 | 10:22 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

^^ is your alignment fixed now? Mine are torn and I have similar alignment issues, just dont wanna spend the money if it doesnt fix it....I barely notice the wobble in my steering wheel at higher speeds anymore.
Old 07-12-2011 | 05:56 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

I've been following this thread for a while and I'm starting to get some uneven wear on the inner edge of my front tires even though the alignment is in spec. Had it checked out by a local shop and they think it is caused by the bushings in the LCAs. They said they just recently replaced the LCAs on an 06 TL and the guy showed me the old parts from the 06. He said they can't just press in bushings and quoted me $1000 to replace the LCAs ($720 in parts, $210 in labor, $95 for an alignment).

Rather than tell him off, I instead decided to ask him if I could have the old LCAs. He sold them to me for $20 and I figure I'll just buy some bushings and get them pressed in.

Now one problem is that one of the LCAs is missing a sleeve. He said it was damaged when they removed the LCA:

Is that going to be a problem?

Also, why did they cut these off?
The following users liked this post:
glennjr15 (01-06-2017)
Old 07-13-2011 | 06:03 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Bump.

Anyone know if that missing sleeve is going to be an issue? ^

Also, any ideas which bushing lasts longer? The firmer 04-06 or the softer 07-08?
Old 07-13-2011 | 06:26 PM
Fawkatitle.com

Not sure if anyone is tracking but there is a recall for the ball joint failure NHTSA notified me of this via email... just an FYI to the ones that didnt/dont know...

SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Summary:
AFFINIA IS RECALLING CERTAIN AFTERMARKET FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS, NAPA PART NO. 2601662, THAT MAY HAVE BEEN MISTAKENLY INSTALLED IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004 - 2008 ACURA TL VEHICLES DUE TO A MISTAKE IN A NAPA AND NAPA DEALERS' PARTS APPLICATION CATALOGUE.

So in other words don't buy your stuff at napa for now!
Old 07-14-2011 | 01:02 PM
ReDevil

Good luck.
So what is the definitive answer on this? Is there more vibration, less tearing on the bushing? I did the 3M weld in the engine mounts on my 92 Civic, and it wasnt horrible, pretty sure I could stand it from the TL, if its going to help.
Old 07-15-2011 | 11:50 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Here are the bushing options:

2004-2006 bushing 51394-SEP-A01 $26.18 firmer
2007-2008 bushing 51394-SEP-A11 $13.86 softer for ride-comfort

Looks like all 2007-2008, base and Type-S, use the newer bushing.

From what I understand, the lower arm is the same so either bushing with fit into either model and vice versa. If I have a 2004, but would prefer ride-comfort over performance, then it seems I should purchase the 2007-2008 bushing. Any issue with doing this? It will save me a little money too, which is not a big deal, but an added bonus.

Last edited by jhumbo; 07-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2011 | 03:33 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Any information on the difference? I would like to know as well
Old 08-12-2011 | 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

I took my 2006 TL to Acura for AC not cooling enough; They gave me an estimate of $2600 for ac valve leaking repair, lower control arm, power steering leak and a bunch of other things needed. the only problem with my car was ac valve leaking; I tested myself the lower control arm and seems to be ok. these guys are there just to rip people off.

Quick Reply: '04 to '08 front lower control arm bushing failure - please read and look