Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, thanks Buda and PPLAPW! I'm definitely going to try this idea! I see no reason why it shouldn't work if it can be attached to the mesh. The long screw thing was what I thought of before. Only, not screws, but like long pegs or something. I think the cup is gonna be the best avenue of approach on this!

No, he isn't going to do it all in one day PPLAPW. He said 2-3 at the most. I just don't know at what point he is doing whatever to it. I should have it back by the weekend at worst.

Oh yeah, I cleaned it up real good so that they will see that I loves my baby and maybe they will apply more TLC when cutting! (groan) LOL!

So wish me luck fellas! Today is the day!!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
.:The Association:.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1

So wish me luck fellas! Today is the day!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

i was going for the same look ( black mesh grill, floating logo ) but I just painted it.

it's dark metallic. almost black most of the time but the same color as the plastic on the body kit and grill
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by PPLAPW
darksom1; If you take a close look at the Mugen TL, the floating 'A' appears to be floating as if the 'cup' Buda posted was used. If you use the cup method I would cut off the "ears"/holes on the left and right side. Then possibly screw/glue/epoxy the back of the cup to the grill. Thats just an idea. I would see how creative your guy gets. Print out some pictures of the look your trying to achieve and have him take a look at them...

I wish I could help more.... But if I were you, I'd play around with the cup idea...
Yes!!! I think that is the answer as well. I have never taken the grille pieces apart so I only have a vague idea of what's back there. That piece Buda took a pic of defintely can be worked with. It's at a slight angle as well. A few mods here, dremel here, dremel there.....I think it can defintely some out nice! darksom I just gotta see what your guy comes up with!
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM
King of NYC

darksom1; If you take a close look at the Mugen TL, the floating 'A' appears to be floating as if the 'cup' Buda posted was used. If you use the cup method I would cut off the "ears"/holes on the left and right side. Then possibly screw/glue/epoxy the back of the cup to the grill. Thats just an idea. I would see how creative your guy gets. Print out some pictures of the look your trying to achieve and have him take a look at them...

I wish I could help more.... But if I were you, I'd play around with the cup idea...
Yes!!! I think that is the answer as well. I have never taken the grille pieces apart so I only have a vague idea of what's back there. That piece Buda took a pic of defintely can be worked with. It's at a slight angle as well. A few mods here, dremel here, dremel there.....I think it can defintely come out nice! darksom I just gotta see what your guy comes up with!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

i think you would have to put the back part behind the grill and the A logo in front
and the mesh inbetween
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
i think you would have to put the back part behind the grill and the A logo in front
and the mesh inbetween
At first glance, this sounds weird, but can you elaborate on what you mean?

I will tell you what I am going to do. I am going to have the mesh, with center bar totally cut out (as we all want, and we all hate it!) and then I am going to use the cup to mount the "A" ala the RSX. Take a look at them and you will know exactly what I mean! We had the answer there underneath our nose all the time in our backyard! Sheesh!

ilililililili, you car looks good dude! Welcome to the grille section! But why didn't you do the whole grille section in that black chrome or whatever that is instead of just the inside part? I'm not a fan of two-tone, though some like the contrast. Still, it looks good though!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
I found this from way back when, I was messing around in the factory when building the TL kit...

Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Is the grill part a photochop? It looks like the mesh is sitting too close to the edge of the front is why I am asking. It doesn't look recessed.

PLUS...I know you are not a fan of dealing with that whole bar dilemma RJ! LOL!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
and the mesh inbetween
I mean that the cup would be used as a bracket to hold the A onto the grill. it would'nt look good with the cup showing on the outside because that part wasn't made to be shown.
and thanks, but I did'nt want to paint the whole thing due to possible rock chips.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
^-- The cup has a smaller diameter than the emblem so that wouldn't be as much of a problem. Plus with it begin black it would help hide it even more. To get that floating effect and have a stable mount that isn't as easy for some idiot to come along and screw it up, the cup is the best option.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to see how this turns out. The fingers are crossed, darksom1!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
^-- The cup has a smaller diameter than the emblem so that wouldn't be as much of a problem. Plus with it begin black it would help hide it even more. To get that floating effect and have a stable mount that isn't as easy for some idiot to come along and screw it up, the cup is the best option.
Yeah, the cup isn't sticking out like a sore thumb. Just look at a RSX like I said previously. You see the black piece behind the "A"? That's the cup! Looks good to me and I will be the guinea pig!

Originally Posted by brettallica
I can't wait to see how this turns out. The fingers are crossed, darksom1!
Thanx bro! The guy said either Friday evening or Saturday, but Monday at the latest! He can't really do this weekend because he hunts!
He's pretty cool! Too bad some of you aren't on this side of the earth. If mine turns out nice, it would have paid off for sandiegodrive and Rockyfeller!

Wait! What the hell I mean "if"! I MEAN W-H-E-N!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Too bad some of you aren't on this side of the earth. If mine turns out nice, it would have paid off for sandiegodrive and Rockyfeller!

Wait! What the hell I mean "if"! I MEAN W-H-E-N!!!
Yeah, well I don't LOL, but that would've been awesome

I can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by rondog
I found this from way back when, I was messing around in the factory when building the TL kit...

ron, looks like a cadillac grill! ???
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 PM

darksom it looks to me like the grill was placed in front of the bar, but it very well could be photoshopped in as well
Old 04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Starcraft II addict

Yep, looks like a piece of sheet metal cut to shape an layed over the front. Also that has to be one of the dirtiest TLs I've seen on here.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
King of NYC

Sandie has done a great job with the photshops but here with RJs pic we are finally getting a real-world comparo.

So PPLAPW's grille is recessed but requires cutting. RJs sample shows how the grille can be mounted flush requiring no cutting.

I have seen the TSX in real life done both ways and to me I like it recessed. To me the TL will look the best recessed as well.

The flush look is sleek/aero but to me it looks plain and has a more blatant aftermarket look to it. The recessed look is more aggresive showing off like a jet intake ready to suck in some air. Puttin a badge right there makes it look like an upgraded factory model instead of a DIY home project.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Sandie has done a great job with the photshops but here with RJs pic we are finally getting a real-world comparo.

So PPLAPW's grille is recessed but requires cutting. RJs sample shows how the grille can be mounted flush requiring no cutting.

I have seen the TSX in real life done both ways and to me I like it recessed. To me the TL will look the best recessed as well.
Thanks rocky

I'm planning to do more to my car very soon. Including the grill, but I'm so ify becuase I might get that TL-S ahhhh

SanDiegoDrive
Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I told dude that he has all of us waiting on the finished product! So no mistakes allowed!

But, nah, I got faith in him doing a good job! Plus, he said he can do the cup thing!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Buda, how is your grill coming along? I'm getting ready to look over at Brett's thread and see what's happening with him!

Is anybody else doing a grill mod now or in the near future? I know I'm not the only one on here! After all, I said come one and come all with your grills!!

Hey PPLAPW, my grill will look different in some ways from yours. I liked the idea of being the only one with mine like that, so I wanted to try to not make mine too much like yours so you can keep your exclusivity. I think the finished product will more than suffice! You'll see! If nothing else, hey, what is the likelihood of someone walking past my car and saying "Damn, that looks like this dude's car in Oregon I just saw!" If they do though, to hell with them! We'll both still be flyyy!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Thanks rocky

I'm planning to do more to my car very soon. Including the grill, but I'm so ify becuase I might get that TL-S ahhhh

SanDiegoDrive
When that 2010 or 2011 TL-S drops...you gonna wish you modded and waited like the rest of us! I say those years because usually, the TL-S comes out after the new Gen TL comes out.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Racer

hey guys, i used acrylic engine enamel paint when i did my front grill with a couple coats of clear coat. as you probably guessed, it is chipping like crazy! it looks horrible. do you guys think it would work if i take the pieces off, use paint thinner...sand the paint off, reprime it, and take it to a professional to get it painted with vinyl paint? I really don't want to spend 150 bucks for 3 pieces of plastic. Thanks guys!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
hey guys, i used acrylic engine enamel paint when i did my front grill with a couple coats of clear coat. as you probably guessed, it is chipping like crazy! it looks horrible. do you guys think it would work if i take the pieces off, use paint thinner...sand the paint off, reprime it, and take it to a professional to get it painted with vinyl paint? I really don't want to spend 150 bucks for 3 pieces of plastic. Thanks guys!
I don't think they are using that on mine, but after hearing that I certainly hope not! I know they aren't doing that to the mesh. The paint process they are supposed to use for me is proven they say to holding up to road-torture. I will check and see what they say, and if they say what you said, I will tell them what you said. Makes sense? LOL!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Starcraft II addict

Buda, how is your grill coming along?
Keeping busy. Alex got the parts on Monday and he emailed me tuesday and said they were working on them. I forgot to send him the license plate strip trip, but it works out. Alex is going to get back with me after they finish one of the "satin" pieces from the grill to let me know if it went ok. If it goes well, I'll take the part off my car and send it in. Not sure how long it will take.

I'm getting a shipment in tomorrow from Tim. I order the '06 grill mesh and the '07 grill mesh. I'm going to modify the '07 mesh to fit on the '06. I also ordered a VSA switch to test out a new mod idea.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
Keeping busy. Alex got the parts on Monday and he emailed me tuesday and said they were working on them. I forgot to send him the license plate strip trip, but it works out. Alex is going to get back with me after they finish one of the "satin" pieces from the grill to let me know if it went ok. If it goes well, I'll take the part off my car and send it in. Not sure how long it will take.

I'm getting a shipment in tomorrow from Tim. I order the '06 grill mesh and the '07 grill mesh. I'm going to modify the '07 mesh to fit on the '06. I also ordered a VSA switch to test out a new mod idea.
Good!! I'm glad you are doing this mod! I like the idea of different stuff and I would love to see what "our" car looks like with that black-chrome on it!

Hey, did you tell him about making it darker than Trancemission's was? Or did you like that grille color?

Mods, mods, mods...man...we are never gonna stop are we? LOL! Kennedy is stopping only long enough to be re-introduced to father-hood! I hope that went well!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Back after 1 Year!

When that 2010 or 2011 TL-S drops...you gonna wish you modded and waited like the rest of us! I say those years because usually, the TL-S comes out after the new Gen TL comes out.
I'm going to buy it anyways, mod it anyways, and keep both anyways LOL. I'll have the 3G TL-S and the 4G TL-S
Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
darksom1; no hard feelings, you have East Coast I have West.... Even if you were closer to me, there'd only be like 2 TL's that I know of that have a grill like this... so its all good...

My grill will be staying the same except for powdercoated grills and painted Aspec gray grill instead of carbon fiber...
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

darksom1; no hard feelings, you have East Coast I have West.... Even if you were closer to me, there'd only be like 2 TL's that I know of that have a grill like this... so its all good...

My grill will be staying the same except for powdercoated grills and painted Aspec gray grill instead of carbon fiber...
You know it!!

BTW, the guy told me that to have it powder-coated, it would take about 2 weeks longer. Not because of the process, but because of the backlog at the place that would have to do it. Surprisingly, a lot of places don't or aren't capable of doing that. Why is that? Do any of you other guys experience that when you ask about it? Maybe I am just going to the wrong places to ask (i.e. bodyshops)? Anyway, I told him hell no! I can't wait a couple of weeks! The people demand results now! Jobs are at stake! Lives are at stake! I'm about to go fawkin' crazy if I don't see this grille reach fruition! Ok, I'm back now...Besides, he had already told me that his process will withstand road-torture. If it starts to flake/chip soon, then I could always bring it back (my thinking, not his suggestion, else that would have been a red flag for me!).
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Update!!

I just got word from my mod guy that the car won't be ready until Monday night now.

It was a bit more involved than what he originally thought. It won't change the price though, which is cool. But no prob. I don't mind them taking their time to make my baby look right!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Buda, how is your grill coming along? I'm getting ready to look over at Brett's thread and see what's happening with him!
Nothing going on with me at this point that is of any note. The grill is "done" for all intents and purposes. Right now, I don't think I'm going to do anything else to the front except for little tweaks here and there. The first one I'm going to do is get another hood trim molding in brushed aluminum and have it shipped out to my chromers. This way I can get that matching chrome look that I want (it's not a bad mismatch now, but it's noticeable in certain angles of light).

I'll probably try adding the chrome strips on the lower grills tomorrow, so of course y'all know pics will be coming once that is done. Trancemission said he has the dome letter decals in chrome for the recessed area on the front bumper where it says ACURA, and I'm probably going to buy those off him. I'm still waiting for him to send me some pictures of it, though.

I just got word from my mod guy that the car won't be ready until Monday night now.

It was a bit more involved than what he originally thought. It won't change the price though, which is cool. But no prob. I don't mind them taking their time to make my baby look right!
Car mods, especially when you're waiting on someone, always take longer. You should know that! I've still got the fingers crossed that it comes out sweet and exactly how you envision it. I can't wait for pics.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Yeah...I just probably have modificationitis...
Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Yeah...I just probably have modificationitis...
I think we all do. The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Starcraft II addict

lol, I probably should put this in the other thread, but Alex got back to me today. They have successfully chromed 2 of the Satin pieces and will be adding color to them now. Which means I need to send in my license plate trim now. It's not cheap either but not outrageous. The cost for doing 5 emblems and 3 large pieces (not including the license plate trim) is $265. It would be cheaper for those not doing all those extra pieces that I'm having done. Also I think the '07 style is cheaper as it is already chromed and just needs to be colored.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Starcraft II addict

I called Alex to talk to him about the darkness of the black chroming and the price as he left out the '07 piece I sent him. Here is a recap:

1. All 3 satin pieces have been successfully chromed and they will be applying color today. Alex will send my pics tomorrow. You know I'll be posting them.

2. As for the darkness, Alex said if he goes to dark, we won't get any of the shinyness from the chrome. I told him to used his best judgement on how dark to go. He said it will be close to that pic of Ethans that we liked.

3. I asked about the '07 type S hood trim and what will be done to that one. He said since it is already "nickel" type plated there are two options:
A. Remove the nickel plating, chrome it, then color it. This would be the more expensive option and would result in the trim looking exactly like my '06 pieces when completed.
B. This option would be to just add more coloring to the existing plating. This is the cheaper option. He said that this would result in more of a brownish black hue.

I told Alex to go with option B for the '07 trim for everyone to see what the cheaper option would turn out like. We will know what the more expensive option will look like as it would come out the same as the '06 pieces I'm having done.

Once I get the pics from Alex on Saturday I'll see if I like them and then send in the license plate trim if it is a go.

For those of you that don't know the history of this mod, check out this thread: Got some Emblems back
Old 04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Sounds like a winner!

And this is a grille thread so ok to post any and all grille mod info here!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Tonight is the night! Hopefully the Nor'easter doesn't bring me bad news!!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Can't wait to see pics of it!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Can't wait to see pics of it!
Me 2!!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
So at what time today?

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!