Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
You are definitely taking this whole front end modification thing to a whole new level, and I can certainly appreciate that. Only about four more days for me until my front end is done, then I can finally finish my: grill mod page
You know, I can do mod #1, and if it doesn't please me enough, I can still do mod #2! Mod #1 will only cost me < $500! I probably could sell it too, as it will be from extra parts. Damn! I gotta do something quick!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by sunnyflava99
Ron's prototype is still the sickest grill Was there any reason this did not go into production?

I've painted my grill and I like it, but, still not aggressive enough. I want something like ron's prototype.
IMO, Sandie's photochop is much more aggressive than Ron's look. Basically, it's that bar that I don't want in my grill. Ron said he was holding off on the grill mods until after his other projects. I do like the concept grill Ron did, but I love this look more!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darksom1
You know, I can do mod #1, and if it doesn't please me enough, I can still do mod #2! Mod #1 will only cost me < $500! I probably could sell it too, as it will be from extra parts. Damn! I gotta do something quick!
Yeah, for sure. Once you do that second one, though, there's no going back because of the severe (I consider it severe) modification of that bumper to remove those little stubs where the wing piece sits. It does look cool; just something to think about before going with it.

My front end modification is probably gonna end up costing me over $500, but that's including painting, as well as me buying a complete set of second OEM parts so that I could reverse the mod if I wanted to. So I'll be taking off all my original parts, then putting them in a box somewhere and storing them, then installing the ones I had chromed and painted.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

IMO, Sandie's photochop is much more aggressive than Ron's look. Basically, it's that bar that I don't want in my grill. Ron said he was holding off on the grill mods until after his other projects. I do like the concept grill Ron did, but I love this look more!
Well thanks! I decided to go with option #2 too. I'm going to only have the mesh at first, but if I miss the floating "A" then I can always just add it on later. I don't want the bar though period. I really want my car to look like this soon and not just my photoshop of it.

MAN!!! I just love how it looks without the floating "A".
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I may try just the empty look, and then add the A later
While it's being worked on, it is the time to see what all possible combinations could look good. Empty is pretty plain but sporty/agressive. With that theme you may as well debadge the whole car. I'm not into that look really. Ultimately I'll bet the floating "A" OR an Aspec/Mugen badge would look best.

I thought about the recently discussed billet idea. I think it's "out". Billet is just too truckish and doesn't go with the theme of a TL. I have seen them on Corollas and Maximas and they just don't look right. They belong on the Silverados and F-150s. Mesh is the sporty choice and looks right at home on our car as you can see on the RJ bodykit front end.

Infinitis and Lexus have chrome accents everywhere, Acura is purposefully restrained with it's brightwork. How can billet coordinate? Too bright if you ask me. That's why the recent fad of the black chrome look is perfect for the TL. It's tasteful, slick, sporty, non-bling, ungaudy and very Acura. Trancemission's emblems look beautiful.

The bar behind the grille is for a bit of stiffness and support as well as mounting the grille. Removing it will make a negligble difference. It won't pose any crash safety difference; anything past 5mph would snap it anyways. I am a bit hesistant to cut my 6 month old car. (I was cringing during my resonator mod. They were hacking my 2 month old exhaust pipes and the mechanics thought I was crazy wanting this on my $35k car. NO regrets though. Sometimes you gotta just stop being chicken even if there is "no going back".) Hey we don't keep cars forever...I know I won't keep this one longer than 5 yrs.

Basically, it's that bar that I don't want in my grill.
Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
I don't want the bar though period.
I can't agree more...it ruins and "wimpyfies" the front end. Some think it gives the front end form and along with the lower grilles give it nice graceful lines. To me that horizontal bar justs ruins it, looks too friendly. Nah, I'd rather go sporty/aggressive, with that mouth-like look. No girly, cute, smiley estrogen-mobile for me. When my car rolls by with it's Aspec look and growling exhaust they'll know this is a guy's car. (no offense, sorry ladies! Hate to be sexist.) I even tried to look up a grille mods before I even bought the car, it bothered me that much! To my dismay it didn't exist so I thought OK I'll live with the 99% of the rest of the look that I love. Some also think plain mesh is going back to old skool 90s and making the car look generic Japaneese but to me maybe less is more.

My thoughts about the floating "A": Take a look of that Champagne Mugen concept I showed earlier. (Post#23) Notice how the floating A is not just cheaply stuck on the center of the grille. It seems to protrude out on it's own "pod"...very much like a stock grille except this grille where the mesh is is recessed. This gives it a more 3D appearance. Just imagine the grille assembly with the A symbol but those horizontal wings cut-off. This would be way too easy to botch up if I did it myself, but if this could be fabricated somehow it would look perfect.

As for your options Darksom1 there are many possible routes/combos you can go. I'd say if you could swing it, go for a total black chrome look! Awesome for your NBP and chrome wheels. Do your grille surrounds and all your embelms/badeges black chrome and do a floating A on the mesh. Type-S tails would look right at home as well. I think it will look fresh and unlike any car on the forum. Or if you are going for a painted grille look, do a plain mesh with the car debadged. While you work on your car, mix and match and find what suits you.

No matter what you choose, I can see you have similar good taste and I can't wait to see your car when it's done. You seem even more obsessed than me with this mod (it's the excitement of the unknown; of doing a custom mod you know has hardly been done before). Wish you luck in beating me to it!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I just hope when my mod is done you don't label it as an "estrogen-mobile." Last thing I want is a :ghey: car!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
While it's being worked on, it is the time to see what all possible combinations could look good. Empty is pretty plain but sporty/agressive. With that theme you may as well debadge the whole car. I'm not into that look really. Ultimately I'll bet the floating "A" OR an Aspec/Mugen badge would look best.

I thought about the recently discussed billet idea. I think it's "out". Billet is just too truckish and doesn't go with the theme of a TL. I have seen them on Corollas and Maximas and they just don't look right. They belong on the Silverados and F-150s. Mesh is the sporty choice and looks right at home on our car as you can see on the RJ bodykit front end.

Infinitis and Lexus have chrome accents everywhere, Acura is purposefully restrained with it's brightwork. How can billet coordinate? Too bright if you ask me. That's why the recent fad of the black chrome look is perfect for the TL. It's tasteful, slick, sporty, non-bling, ungaudy and very Acura. Trancemission's emblems look beautiful.

The bar behind the grille is for a bit of stiffness and support as well as mounting the grille. Removing it will make a negligble difference. It won't pose any crash safety difference; anything past 5mph would snap it anyways. I am a bit hesistant to cut my 6 month old car. (I was cringing during my resonator mod. They were hacking my 2 month old exhaust pipes and the mechanics thought I was crazy wanting this on my $35k car. NO regrets though. Sometimes you gotta just stop being chicken even if there is "no going back".) Hey we don't keep cars forever...I know I won't keep this one longer than 5 yrs.

I can't agree more...it ruins and "wimpyfies" the front end. Some think it gives the front end form and along with the lower grilles give it nice graceful lines. To me that horizontal bar justs ruins it, looks too friendly. Nah, I'd rather go sporty/aggressive, with that mouth-like look. No girly, cute, smiley estrogen-mobile for me. When my car rolls by with it's Aspec look and growling exhaust they'll know this is a guy's car. (no offense, sorry ladies! Hate to be sexist.) I even tried to look up a grille mods before I even bought the car, it bothered me that much! To my dismay it didn't exist so I thought OK I'll live with the 99% of the rest of the look that I love. Some also think plain mesh is going back to old skool 90s and making the car look generic Japaneese but to me maybe less is more.

My thoughts about the floating "A": Take a look of that Champagne Mugen concept I showed earlier. (Post#23) Notice how the floating A is not just cheaply stuck on the center of the grille. It seems to protrude out on it's own "pod"...very much like a stock grille except this grille where the mesh is is recessed. This gives it a more 3D appearance. Just imagine the grille assembly with the A symbol but those horizontal wings cut-off. This would be way too easy to botch up if I did it myself, but if this could be fabricated somehow it would look perfect.

As for your options Darksom1 there are many possible routes/combos you can go. I'd say if you could swing it, go for a total black chrome look! Awesome for your NBP and chrome wheels. Do your grille surrounds and all your embelms/badeges black chrome and do a floating A on the mesh. Type-S tails would look right at home as well. I think it will look fresh and unlike any car on the forum. Or if you are going for a painted grille look, do a plain mesh with the car debadged. While you work on your car, mix and match and find what suits you.

No matter what you choose, I can see you have similar good taste and I can't wait to see your car when it's done. You seem even more obsessed than me with this mod (it's the excitement of the unknown; of doing a custom mod you know has hardly been done before). Wish you luck in beating me to it!
Long comment, but enjoyed reading it.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by rockyfeller

Nice write-up Rocky! Yeah, we definitely share similar ideas about this mod, but so does Sandie! He is anxious too! It would be cool if we could all do it, but with a little something different about each one. We gotta stay on top of that! I told you what I think I'm gonna do...#2...

LOL@Brett and the ghey comment! Hahaha! Man, your mods will be done way before ours! You had a hella headstart!

Rocky, you gotta elaborate on this floating idea of yours. I mean, I see it, but I don't see it. Are you talking about something sticking out from the mesh holding the "A" up off of the mesh itself? Seeing that we are using mesh, would that be sturdy, or just bounce around or jiggle when we hit potholes or just regular street imperfections?

That part about making the surrounding area black chrome is intriguing. I originally said NBP, but that might be better. I think I will order my emblems first and see. I plan on getting those pieces black chromed anyway. (still with you on that Buda! Alex is slacking man!)

Whichever one of us is first, is no prob with me. (BUT...you know who will be trying to get on display first! Your's truly! )

- Ray
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
(still with you on that Buda! Alex is slacking man!)
I'm still in on it to. My friend that works at the car dealership has been sick so I still don't know what prices he can get the parts at. Btw, I'm am seeing if he can order 2 of each part that we both want so you can get the same price as me.

This may be hard for me to get going if I can't get the parts shipped to alex in the next 2 weeks. Starting in April it looks like I'll have to travel to either KC or DC for 2 to 3 months for work. That's going to make it hard to get in the planned mods on my car.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:48 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
I'm still in on it to. My friend that works at the car dealership has been sick so I still don't know what prices he can get the parts at. Btw, I'm am seeing if he can order 2 of each part that we both want so you can get the same price as me.

This may be hard for me to get going if I can't get the parts shipped to alex in the next 2 weeks. Starting in April it looks like I'll have to travel to either KC or DC for 2 to 3 months for work. That's going to make it hard to get in the planned mods on my car.
Hmm...This may not be feasible for you anyway, as Alex requires a minimum of 3 weeks to complete an order. That's doesn't even count what he has going on already. It took Trancemission quite some time to get his parts back. It's beginning to get crowded with all these variables! Good thing I'm an optimist!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Back after 1 Year!

AHHH!!! I want to give you all Rep points, but why isn't that an option in this thread? For me at least?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Hmm...This may not be feasible for you anyway, as Alex requires a minimum of 3 weeks to complete an order. That's doesn't even count what he has going on already. It took Trancemission quite some time to get his parts back. It's beginning to get crowded with all these variables! Good thing I'm an optimist!
I'm fine with not getting the parts back for a while. I can always install on a weekend when I'm back in town. I just want to get the parts asap so I can send them out before I have to start traveling.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Buda
I'm fine with not getting the parts back for a while. I can always install on a weekend when I'm back in town. I just want to get the parts asap so I can send them out before I have to start traveling.
Well, when he calls me back, I'll make sure he knows that there are people waiting on him for this. Not just me.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Till this day cutting the bar has not posed any problems for me as far as weaking the bumper. The only thing I noticed was it was easier to flex the center. I've also removed my bumper a couple times after modding my grill and didn't have any problems.

ACCURATEin had his bumper just like mine for about 2 years and no problems...
thats goood to hear
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

+1, since I will be doing this mod!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyway to buy the TL-S Grill and put it on an 04-06 TL? Would it be a hard mod?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
discussed in so many threads, can't do the facelifted grille, different size (height)
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

WHaddup Rocky! WHere you been hiding? I'm going first thing tomorrrow and ask this place called Trick Trucks about my grill! See if I can get the ball rolling! They sounded sure that they could on the phone and they came recommended.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunoco
Is there anyway to buy the TL-S Grill and put it on an 04-06 TL? Would it be a hard mod?
Yes, it can be done. Take a look at this grate thread.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Back after 1 Year!

^^^Just looked at your thread! Wow looks awesome!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 AM
8th Gear

My grill as of right now:

...and you know what's coming...

slightly off topic but nice steel x's!

nice lookin grill tho!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Update!!

I sent the email of my layout and what I want it to look like to this guy in Manassas, Va. and he told me that he could do this (well, over the phone before he got the email). So I will wait until after he looks at it and let's me know the price! (but more importantly, if he can dammit do it!)

When he does the cutting, I want to be there and take pictures of it off (ala PPLAPW's post). I may not be able to take my baby being man-handled like that! LOL!

Hey, sandiegodrive...any progress on your end? Rockyfeller? Sandie is doing his LED mod so he forgot about our mission!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Willabee
slightly off topic but nice steel x's!

nice lookin grill tho!
Ha! Very funny! Your first post on AZ and you're mentioning my Xs in the picture. Hilarious. FYI - white/black/red XIVs today!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Lightbulb

I sent the email of my layout and what I want it to look like to this guy in Manassas, Va. and he told me that he could do this (well, over the phone before he got the email). So I will wait until after he looks at it and let's me know the price! (but more importantly, if he can dammit do it!)

When he does the cutting, I want to be there and take pictures of it off (ala PPLAPW's post). I may not be able to take my baby being man-handled like that! LOL!

Hey, sandiegodrive...any progress on your end? Rockyfeller? Sandie is doing his LED mod so he forgot about our mission!
No I didn't , but remember that I might be upgrading to a TL-S soon. I might still get the grill done though.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 PM
.:The Association:.

so whats goin on here have any of you guys actually done this mod? i was reading the whole thred catchin up on it, i like the first concept Ron put out there with the modified bar. but i also like the mod with the mesh done. keep me posted on the amount of work that needs to go into removing the bar and refinishing the inside "cheeks" of the bumper.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by dj pensive
so whats goin on here have any of you guys actually done this mod? i was reading the whole thred catchin up on it, i like the first concept Ron put out there with the modified bar. but i also like the mod with the mesh done. keep me posted on the amount of work that needs to go into removing the bar and refinishing the inside "cheeks" of the bumper.
Check out this link dj:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139254

sandiegodrive: No I didn't , but remember that I might be upgrading to a TL-S soon. I might still get the grill done though.
Check this out!!

I talked to the guy and he said YES!!!!!! He will do it for me next week!!!

He said $450-$550 to do it right! He don't wanna do bondo and risk any cracking. He will just rebuild that part or something so it lasts the life of the car w/o probs a few years down the road! I was like sheeyitt - DO YOU!!!!!

Dayyyyuuummmm!!!! Can u tell I'm excited?

Aggressive-Ass-Stealth mode by next weekend!

Don't sleep on me! Ya heard!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
^Awesome.....

NBP for the win.... where taking over.....
Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
^Awesome.....

NBP for the win.... where taking over.....
Yup!!!

Damn PPLAPW, you look like you have a WDP in your avatar!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Godfather of Chrome

NBP has not -- I repeat -- has NOT won shit!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Exclamation Yes! Thank YOU darksom1

Check out this link dj:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139254

Check this out!!

I talked to the guy and he said YES!!!!!! He will do it for me next week!!!

He said $450-$550 to do it right! He don't wanna do bondo and risk any cracking. He will just rebuild that part or something so it lasts the life of the car w/o probs a few years down the road! I was like sheeyitt - DO YOU!!!!!

Dayyyyuuummmm!!!! Can u tell I'm excited?

Aggressive-Ass-Stealth mode by next weekend!

Don't sleep on me! Ya heard!!!!
Good I might this mod seeing how I talked to Cannonball today it it looks like I'm going to be entering my Acura TL into Cannonball!!!

2007 Cannonball Great American Run

Yes! My car will look even better with a new grill!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh really.....

Just wait......
Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Grille + NBP =

+ = :silvercup

Get in where ya fit in!!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Grille + NBP =

+ = :silvercup

Get in where ya fit in!!
WDP + (anything you want) = /

NBP = /:ghey:

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Old 04-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Godfather of Chrome

If I didn't truly love the TL in black, it would get way nastier than this! NBP and WDP both rule very hard; I think we can all agree on that.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

If I didn't truly love the TL in black, it would get way nastier than this! NBP and WDP both rule very hard; I think we can all agree on that.
I think there is enough room for both of them on the mountain...as long as you-know-who is on the peak!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I think there is enough room for both of them on the mountain...as long as you-know-who is on the peak!
Oh believe me, I do, and it looks something like this:

Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Oh believe me, I do, and it looks something like this:

LOL! Cheater! You know I can't post pics right! Your car doesn't look like that now anyway Brett! Hey, why don't you clear your heads?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Godfather of Chrome

LOL! Cheater! You know I can't post pics right! Your car doesn't look like that now anyway Brett! Hey, why don't you clear your heads?
Ouch, man. That one was below the belt! Let's try to keep the gloves up!

Weather permitting, I'm gonna do it myself this weekend on my factory originals - tomorrow starting early in the morning so I have all day to do it.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Ouch, man. That one was below the belt! Let's try to keep the gloves up!

Weather permitting, I'm gonna do it myself this weekend on my factory originals - tomorrow starting early in the morning so I have all day to do it.
Nah, I meant that pic doesn't even have the changes on it. I think. It looks like your lower grill is black. No cheapshot dude! LOL!

Quick Reply: Warmer Out! Time For A New Grill!!