Pictures! Acura RL on 20s and MORE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004 | 07:49 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Pictures! Acura RL on 20s and MORE!

Hey Fellow TLers,

Here are 34 pictures of the new RL inside and out, rims, headlights etc...So what do you guys think? Check out the projectors on that thing! It looks pretty high tech from the side profile up close. The 20s look similar to the TL type rims - 5 spoke design. The odometer looks similar to the TL as is the nav screen - 8 inches right? Basically it looks like a beefed up TL w/ more goodies and stronger engine. What do you guys think?

http://gallery.dealerrater.com/galle...Submit1=Search

ENJOY!
Old 04-15-2004 | 01:59 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

doh ma!
Old 04-15-2004 | 09:15 AM
What's a TL?

Thanks for the pics....very nice. Anyone else not thrilled by the RL?? I expected to be blown away, but it really doesn't seem like anything exciting. Am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2004 | 10:54 AM
Instructor

Is it just me or does the trunk, rear view look like a BMW 7, 5 series?
Old 04-15-2004 | 11:03 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Thanks for the pics....very nice. Anyone else not thrilled by the RL?? I expected to be blown away, but it really doesn't seem like anything exciting. Am I missing something?

I feel the same way.

The only thing I like the most, and the only thing I want the most is the all wheel drive.
Old 04-15-2004 | 11:11 AM
Racer

I don't know...I think there is some serious bias here. This model is SWEET looking. There were a lot of posts on other threads about it not being that nice. I know it's subjective but come on.
Old 04-15-2004 | 11:18 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

I think its absolutely beautiful, can't want to see the specs.
Old 04-15-2004 | 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I think from the rear it looks like an Elantra, notice the lines of the tails and the shape of the bumper. I think the rear is neither sporty nor luxurious, just kinda, there.

The front is ok.

I agree, it doesn't give me wood to look at it like the TL does.
Old 04-16-2004 | 02:35 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

i would hope the RL doesn't give you wood! It's not bad though, but I must say the interior seems sooo similar to the TL's. I know the Nav and teh center console have been changed with a different look, but the overall "feel" you get when lookin at the pictures just SCREAM a MODIFIED TL interior.
Old 04-16-2004 | 05:14 AM
-Team Anthracite Member-

the slotted rotors look cool, and more mid range from the rear doors is good, but i think the interior looks kind of tacky :chainsaw:
Old 04-16-2004 | 07:14 AM
Instructor

Anyone know if the RL is going to come with 6-speed? And how come they get a bose system. Also is this car made in Japan or is it going to be like the TL made in USA ?
Old 04-16-2004 | 07:19 AM
Outnumbered at home

I am a huge fan. Hell compared to the new 5 series this RL is amazing. COmpared to the last model it is a giant step forward.

Disagree completely about the interior. The console is so different that I don't know how you can compare.
Old 04-16-2004 | 04:04 PM
Advanced

tell you what. I am very lost with acura's new RL. ok.. we have RSX to replace Integra. TSX to compete Altima. TL to compete G35s and such. RL to compete who? I've always thought acura would build something luxurious like Lexus LS. but the new RL seems to be nothing but upgraded TL. Interior is cool, but is it luxurious? at least i thought acura was trying to bulid a car that would kick LS's ass. guess not... so... we are still behind in the luxury market, huh? Isn't it time to be called "luxury" rather than "near luxury"?
Old 04-16-2004 | 04:49 PM
-Team Anthracite Member-

Originally Posted by jchoi19
I've always thought acura would build something luxurious like Lexus LS. but the new RL seems to be nothing but upgraded TL. Interior is cool, but is it luxurious? at least i thought acura was trying to bulid a car that would kick LS's ass. guess not... so... we are still behind in the luxury market, huh? Isn't it time to be called "luxury" rather than "near luxury"?
i agree, the interior looks really half-ass head rests look different, but questionable, that rear seat middle headrest, they should have been a little more innovative, transponder entry and starter? all wheel drive would be good, seats and leather look similar, but no vented seats only heat? 20in wheels are kinda posh, rear end, ehh, front end, ehh looks like rx330 headlights. in final, they can borrow some features from others but they need to get some ideas of their own... and which market are they trying to target with this car???
Old 04-16-2004 | 09:53 PM
Instructor

Nice exterior, lousy interior. Interior by committee.....disorganized committee.
Old 04-16-2004 | 11:44 PM
Racer

Acura has always had a large market share because they build quality cars that compete head-to-head with cars that cost a great deal more. It sounds like the RL is going to sell for under $50K, maybe under $45k. It's competing with Lexus LS 430, Infinty G45, Mercedes S series, BMW 7 series, Audi A8, etc.

It's a beautiful car guys and it has AWD. That's important to sell cars in snow belt states. I'll be taking a look at it when my lease is up on my '04TL.
Old 04-17-2004 | 01:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gregory28
Acura has always had a large market share because they build quality cars that compete head-to-head with cars that cost a great deal more. It sounds like the RL is going to sell for under $50K, maybe under $45k. It's competing with Lexus LS 430, Infinty G45, Mercedes S series, BMW 7 series, Audi A8, etc.

It's a beautiful car guys and it has AWD. That's important to sell cars in snow belt states. I'll be taking a look at it when my lease is up on my '04TL.
I hear you. RL is supposed to... (at least to my expectations...) compete with cars you've mentioned above. but quite honestly, no owners of above cars will even consider the new RL. It's more like Lexus GS, Infiniti m45, Mercedes hm... not even quite E.. BMW 5 Series, and Audi A6, etc.
the funny thing is.. the current RL seems to be a lot more luxurious.. or at least seems to be competing with Lexus LS
Old 04-17-2004 | 02:17 AM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Does anyone know if the SH-AWD is going to be adapted to the TL as infiniti did to the G35? Since I live up in a northern climate, I would not mind getting the added security.

With regards to the RLs new appearance, it significantly is an improvement from its aging style but I am kind of wondering what the MSRP is going to be. Anyways, if anyone wants to see the video of the RL as well as the factory sticker, check out the following links:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=222806
http://sohc.vtec.net/article_files/2...nyias-0098.jpg

Looking at that tire specs on what I think is the door jam, lets hope acura does not put 17 inch rims on the RL as it definitely won't do anything for its looks.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:13 AM
Racer

Taeoug-

Link to factory sticker says "Forbidden". Could you print out what it says? Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is a factory sticker on a prototype car?

I expect 17s but 18s would be nice. My '92 Legend came with 15s and seemed fine at the time. I guess times change though.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Im not too happy about it either! Looks like a big Camry IMHO, but whatever. Ive showed all my friends, they told me to stick w/ TL cuz its sportier and that the RL looks like a successful family/business man type of car.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:25 AM
Pro

I think it looks good, but not for me. The car is light years ahead of the previous gen in the sense of exterior lines and interior details. It just looks like an older man's car. I prefer the sporty look of the TL, but the RL really looks nice. I'd like the headlights on my TL, though.

Oh, the only dissapointment is the back of the car and how it's slanted like the old Altima.
Old 04-17-2004 | 02:52 PM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Originally Posted by legendguy
Taeoug-

Link to factory sticker says "Forbidden". Could you print out what it says? Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is a factory sticker on a prototype car?

I expect 17s but 18s would be nice. My '92 Legend came with 15s and seemed fine at the time. I guess times change though.

Hope this works

I guess I was referring to the sticker on the door jam which gives recommended tire inflations and the size of tires on the vehicle.

It states that the tire size is 245/50R17 and the RL they had previewed was with 20 inch tires. The sticker looks original so I'm guessing the RL they showed is pretty much a production version but hopefully Acura will decide on putting larger tires when the RL is released on the market perhaps at least with the 20s being an option.
Old 06-11-2004 | 11:46 PM
Banned

Sick.
Old 06-12-2004 | 12:09 AM
Advanced

Rear end of a 7-series, and the tacky-metallic center console of the infinitis (sure to look dated the minute it leaves the lot). Probably an outstanding car mechanically and technically, but I'll stick with my good ole' TL.
Old 06-12-2004 | 12:12 AM
Racer

i think acura must have gotten a good deal on leather, because maybe its only the wierd camera angle, but i looks like alot of wear has been put on those seats.

I think the dash is a mix between the infiniti and the BMW, not very impressive...
Old 06-12-2004 | 06:09 AM
Senior Moderator

HERE's the proper link to the picture that taeoug was referring to. Click on the lowest left picture, the one that's obviously of a door jamb sticker. TOV doesn't like deep linking, I guess.
Old 06-12-2004 | 06:36 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I think it's damn pretty...whoever it supposedly competes with (we can argue the segment til the cows come home), is in for a run. Just imagine how fast it will be if it comes in Anthracite!

=)
Old 06-12-2004 | 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

First of all, I would like to thanks Land Rover for the wonderfulr pictures.

Second, I am disappointed in everyone here on the board. That car has 4500+ miles and none of us have seen that thing on the road. What gives?
Old 06-12-2004 | 07:37 AM
Racer

I'm sure it is a nice car, but it isn't for me.

When I tell people about my TL I tell them it is the perfect size and the perfect
balance of luxury and sport . . . and I really believe all of this.
Old 06-12-2004 | 09:52 AM
Instructor

take a close look and see the brand of tires that is on it.......
Old 06-12-2004 | 10:53 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by rmarzan12
i agree, the interior looks really half-ass head rests look different, but questionable, that rear seat middle headrest, they should have been a little more innovative, transponder entry and starter? all wheel drive would be good, seats and leather look similar, but no vented seats only heat? 20in wheels are kinda posh, rear end, ehh, front end, ehh looks like rx330 headlights. in final, they can borrow some features from others but they need to get some ideas of their own... and which market are they trying to target with this car???
Where have you been????

Those pictures are old, it was a concept. The newer pictures seem like they have vented seats not just heat. They have ideas of their own, like SH-AWD the most advance AWD in the world. They have real time traffic on the navi (first to have this) you won't be able to get anything in the market for its price. This car is going to blow everything away, specially because is going to be in the $45-$50k range. It also has what I think you call transponder entry and starter....its call acura keyless access system it looks like a credit card. It also has easy exit/entry with memory. It has adaptive front lightning system, where the bixenon lights turns when the car turns and it has TPMS (tire presure monitoring system) This car is going to be awesome.

Get up to day buddy

To look at the most reason pics, look at them on www.acura.com check out the gauges they are the most beautiful ones I have ever seen in any car. The wood on acura.com pictures looks really nice, not like those on pictures in this thread. Look on the center console and you will see a setting for cool/hot for the seats.
Old 06-12-2004 | 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

On the close up pic of the guages, on the lower left of the tack and below the "VSA OFF" there is a switch that say "AFS OFF". What is AFS?
Old 06-12-2004 | 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gregory28

Acura has okay market share, behind BMW, Benz and Lexus. Their cars do not go head to head but go into niches. WHich is cool. Look at the new RL. HAs AWD standard and A 300hp V-6. The competition has AWD optional, V-6s standard with optional V-8s.
This car is not competing with the LS, S, 7 or A8 at all, it doesn't stand a chance like the current one. It now competes with the GS, M35, E class, 5 series, A6.
the current RL seems to be a lot more luxurious.. or at least seems to be competing with Lexus LS
Have u driven a RL and a LS? The RL is clearly outmatched, outgunned and outclassed compared to the LS 430. There is nothing comparable.
Old 06-12-2004 | 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JeffS
On the close up pic of the guages, on the lower left of the tack and below the "VSA OFF" there is a switch that say "AFS OFF". What is AFS?
Adaptive Front lighting System, according to acura.com.

Mike
Old 06-12-2004 | 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtmike

Mike
Thanks Mike!
Old 06-12-2004 | 04:18 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by svtmike

Mike
Correct....all they do is: The bi-xenon projector turns to the direction the car is turning to provide better lumination, I think it also has auto-leveling ala BMW. BTW the RL lights are fully AUTO unlike the TL.
Old 06-12-2004 | 04:53 PM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by rmarzan12
RL will have keyless entry and starting. Will be the the first Acura to include AWD. The first with front to rear power distribution and rear wheel side-to-side torque distribution system labeled SH-AWD. Plus: four wheel/4 piston caliper brakes with slotted rotors. Adaptive front lighting system. Acura Navigation with real-time traffic monitoring. OnStar Service. Bose 10-speaker sound system with DVD-A. And tons of other features.

The 5series BMW crowd might look at this car. It packs a lot of punch for the money.
Old 06-12-2004 | 09:31 PM
Instructor

The center headrest in the rear seat blowz . It just seems like an obstruction. How many times do people honestly need a headrest in the center seat in the rear?
Old 06-13-2004 | 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

what is the new rl supposed to compete against? i guess this car called the gs?
oh yeah, whoever was complaining about the rear headrest blocking the view.... all center rear headrests block the drivers view. anyways, it folds down.
Old 06-13-2004 | 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by decky243
The center headrest in the rear seat blowz . It just seems like an obstruction. How many times do people honestly need a headrest in the center seat in the rear?
Thankfully the center rear headrest folds down. The romote for it is on the overhead console. It also appears that there is a power rear sunshade too. Yeah and about time!

Quick Reply: Pictures! Acura RL on 20s and MORE!