Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Hey...cheers to you!
I'm guessing you got my joke about the black on black on black etc...you know, MY CAR...lol.
But you know I don't follow trends either, I'm just not as "outside the box" as you are!

Anyway, I give you 3 thumbs up on those wheels...those would be PERFECT!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
im lovin those rims....def a good choice death......and how much did the zkw-r's run you?????
Thanks, d00d...long time comin' for the rims, though...

I think the ZKW-r were about $80? Got 'em off eBay, they're seriously AWESOME
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Hey...cheers to you!I'm guessing you got my joke about the black on black on black etc...you know, MY CAR...lol. But you know I don't follow trends either, I'm just not as "outside the box" as you are!
DUDE, give yourself credit...your car is KILLER. I DON'T like the black-on-black-on-black look...unless it's well executed. To that end...yours is PERFECT. Seriously, I love it, the wheels are freaking awesome, and the SS drop drives it all home. Give yourself credit where it's due!

Anyway, I give you 3 thumbs up on those wheels...those would be PERFECT!
AGREED...but I can't get those wheels...they're $1k EACH!!! Sooooo...in consistent DM fashion...we can expect to see an all black wheel with a nice lip...and some more painters tape, sandpaper...and some white, sparkly wheel paint in the near future!!!

What comes first, drop or wheels? Hmmmm...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Drop first! Probably gonna be the most boring aspect of your car since you really can't modify shocks in your garage and come out with a desirable result.

And as far as those rims, why not buy a used set, or something similar? It doesn't even have to be the same colour, since you're painting it anyways I bet.
But seriously, get out there and look for a similar design wheel, I'm sure there are plenty out there!

Best of luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Damn the grill turned out sick! I love it! Great work
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 AM

I wouldn't even CONSIDER a 1k per wheel rim...even if I had the money sitting around, I don't think I would. That's just too much.

But, like you and others have said, you can pick up a set with the right offsets cheap online and I guarantee you can make them look great. I think the drop should definitely come first cause you WON'T hate your car on stocks with a drop, but you WILL hate it on wheels without one.

About my car, thanks very much man. I have to say that I never would have ever guessed that I'd A) Have a black car, my Mexican side just loves colors too much and my Swiss side likes to keep things too clean B) That I'd have the nuts to do half the mods I've done, especially putting my lights in an oven C) Getting black wheels. On principle, I hate black wheels since you can't see the shape/design of them.

That said, I do LOVE my car...when it's rolling it looks amazing, when it's at a standstill the fact that the wheels look huge and great since they're glossy. The blue lugs/valvestems add some interest and tie it all together.

Anyway, too bad you're far, a photoshoot would be cool...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Jeez, I go to the ocean for along weekend and he does this?????
J/K---Dan, you are truly awesome.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

FINALLY got a fucking half-mask respirator, shit did I fuck myself up by not using one earlier. Let me take a step back...

You see, it's been humid as all hell here the past week, so the ONLY way to knock down the humidity is to use a dehumidifier in the garage...SO...I hooked that up, and sure enough, it was dry as cafeteria turkey...but DAMN does the unit blow some heat...so the average temp was about +100F and the garage was sealed. Like a good zealot, I played liquidator and fired at will. Two days of this will make you a little loopy, guys, so WEAR YOUR PPE.

Anyway, after the dust cleared and a few days worth of work, it's time for some HID fogs today!

Now, the lip came painted white when I purchased it from another member, but lo, I do not wish it to be, so it's off to the races. Now, I know my line is not going to be perfect because it's really goddamn hard to concentrate in this heat and my patience is wearing thin, so I will cut corners this one time. Knock on wood.

I primed the living bejeezus out of the lip, then wetsanded to 2k., then painted...let's see how she turned out...

Ehhhh...whatever. You can only see it at certain angles, close up at that.

I'll live.

Some shots of the fog shrouds...

...and the remaining elements for the install.

So how bad were the fumes? Keep in mind this is about 30mins AFTER clear. I really cleaned the hell out of the garage afterwards, probably cleanest it's ever been. Just as cleaning concluded (after a 10 minutes break because the shopvac and missus hairdryer don't mix well on the same circuit), it started to rain...ugh, that'll do, piggy. That'll do.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Nicely done, sir...
I thought for SURE you would be doing the Fog shroud in white!
I like white! Are you sure you're not going to do it in WHITE?!?!? lol...
I think it would look good...at the distance it is from the ground to your eyes, I don't think the shiny black will be discernable from normal black. White is the way to go...I thought that's why you primed it...WHITE WHITE WHITE for the shrouds.

I think you get my point!
Anyway, just my opinion, as you know.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Dan AKA Deathmetal, you make me laugh man.....I mean, I love looking at diy threads like this but man you have a great sense of humor. Keep it coming man and if you ever do a trip to Charlotte, NC the beers are on me!

Great job on the car and I gotta say, it is looking great! Before it gets cold and if you have the funds, you should DIY the garage and do it up so you can have a bad ass car in a bad ass garage. Keep them coming man and thanks for the comedy along the way!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice TL man! Thumbs Up to you! love the blue led interior so hawt. def. Keep doing what flows through your head and make that TL even sexier!! when reading through this thread this question has been swimming in my head for so longgg....so here it is:

how and what did you do to let the missus agree to let you do all these mods to your car? i mean i dont go all out and mod my car cause of the $ of the mods but small things here and there i see my girl give that "silent stare of death!" lol again props to you sir!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
let me see more!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
THIS IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE PROGRESSION THREAD THING. ur cars up there with JPTLs Tl lol
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Looking very good! I like how you used the pearl paint on the surrounds as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Phmbm12

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Ah, one last thing, footwell lighting has been installed. These are a far more subdued look then most, as I want it to flow well with the rest of the interior.

how many LEDs is that? and why didnt you do the rear along with the front
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Nicely done, sir...
I thought for SURE you would be doing the Fog shroud in white! I like white!
I think you get my point! Anyway, just my opinion, as you know.
Ah, my friend, just wait and see, I think you'll agree white is NOT the way to go...

Originally Posted by mmade22
Dan AKA Deathmetal, you make me laugh man.....I mean, I love looking at diy threads like this but man you have a great sense of humor. Keep it coming man and if you ever do a trip to Charlotte, NC the beers are on me!
Happily, my man! With my last car, sooo much shit when wrong when working on it, as you would expe3ct with any major project, so I have kind of developed a more jovial demeanor about extenuating circumstances...I also try and keep the thread honest and note where I screw up, so that offers ample opportunity to poke fun at myself, haha.

If I'm down that way, I'm a Chimay Blue kinda guy
Great job on the car and I gotta say, it is looking great! Before it gets cold and if you have the funds, you should DIY the garage and do it up so you can have a bad ass car in a bad ass garage.
Ahhhh, the garage. While I have thought about doing some various projects to the garage, I am actually going to leave it 'as-is'. Why? Well, the rafters offer the PERFECT separation point for my tools. If you look, each rafter is categorized for paint tools, adhesives, carpentry tools, etc...I would lose this organization if I sheet rocked the mess. Besides, I think I'd hate life right now if it were rocked...can you imagine the paint that would be all over it?! BTW, your garage is sweet, I'm quite envious...I think if anything I may epoxy the floor at some point...but anwya, after the car is done, I have 4 projects left for the home...

(1) Redo 1/2 bath on ground floor, custom hand-made cabinet time!
(2) Mulch pathway along driveway
(3) Aerate lawn, reseed (in fall)
(4) Maaaaaybe do the chair rail in the foyer I've been fawning over

That wraps up the car, and the home. No rest for the weary, huh?

Originally Posted by 24no7
let me see more!!!!!!
Wife left the friggin camera cable over her Mom's, updates soon. GRRRRR

Originally Posted by Phambam12
THIS IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE PROGRESSION THREAD THING. ur cars up there with JPTLs Tl lol
That's a huge compliment. He has set the bar very, VERY high. My car will never be as 'clean' as his, as I took a different direction, so I really appreciate the compliment.

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Looking very good! I like how you used the pearl paint on the surrounds as well.
Thanks, man! Gotta keep the flow!

how many LEDs is that? and why didnt you do the rear along with the front
I did...my camera sucks donkey dick, you just can't see it well. I used this in the footwells and beneath the seat....this allows me to quickly and easily swap bulb should one crap out.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by HokAy
how and what did you do to let the missus agree to let you do all these mods to your car? i mean i dont go all out and mod my car cause of the $ of the mods but small things here and there i see my girl give that "silent stare of death!" lol again props to you sir!

Good one. Ok, this question...probably is being asked by many. I am planning on finishing up come this Sunday, at which point in time I will post a 'lessons learned' summary which will detail this precise point. I will also post a full pricing of everything I purchased and the cost of this overhaul. Stay tuned.

Back out to the garage to finish the HID Fogs...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I'd steer clear adding up the cost of all the mods. Forget the wife, you'll be left gaping!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal

Good one. Ok, this question...probably is being asked by many. I am planning on finishing up come this Sunday, at which point in time I will post a 'lessons learned' summary which will detail this precise point. I will also post a full pricing of everything I purchased and the cost of this overhaul. Stay tuned.

Back out to the garage to finish the HID Fogs...
Guarantee its nothing compared to what it would have cost if you weren't so talented. I am going to guess probably 1-2k and a shit load of man hours.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Phmbm12

ur footwells is only 1 led? dang thats a strong LED
Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

I'd steer clear adding up the cost of all the mods. Forget the wife, you'll be left gaping!
Haha, you forget I've been mapping/planning/working around a budget for some time

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Guarantee its nothing compared to what it would have cost if you weren't so talented. I am going to guess probably 1-2k and a shit load of man hours.
Oh, no doubt, brother...but your estimate is wayyyyyy off...

ur footwells is only 1 led? dang thats a strong LED
There are 4 receptacles; one per seat
Old 07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Quick update before the next picture set.

So everything is about done, and I now have the camera cable back in hand, so I'm free to snap some more amateur shots. Just some shots of the foglight install, which proved to be a bit more difficult then I expected due to a custom grille I fabricated.

I mounted this ballast after relocating the stock horn

This one was easy enough

I am keeping my wires and such behind the driver side footwell as I don't like clogging my engine bay with harnesses and the like...

Nothing going on here, sir!

...annnnnd finally, I've found a great way to encourage bowel movements while working on the car at the same time! It's called lying on your back and blindly reaching for fasteners. Suffice to say, this beetle carcass was NOT what I was looking for, and yes, just about scared the shit out of me.

Finally, the switch. Now, we've come so far with the LEDs that we can't forget about this one now, can we?

It runs off the ignition switch...so, if I REALLY wanted to be anal with it, I'd tap the VSA power lead for the light there...but it's not going to cause me to lose sleep.

More pics tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Leave it to you to give us a set of pics as a precursor to your REAL set of pics.
Looking good! I thought I had become meticulous, but you sir, take the cake!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome, we need a mod to come in here, take all the pics, stories, and how to parts of this and condense it into one superthread!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Phmbm12

HOLY BEETLE!! Haha that made me warm inside. have you thought about a CAI? if not, removing the intake resonator?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I guess this is a very literal example of getting the shit scared out of you haha.

Either way, lesson learned

Are you going for an all HID front end? What about 3000K DRLs for some contrast?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's what i'm talking about (the rims) ahaahh cars looking goood! not sure if any1 asked you yet.. but where did you get the black paint w/ pearls (correct if im wrong)? did you order it from like a paint shop? i tried looking through the thread but couldn't find it OR you mentioned it and i have tunnel vision.. thanks! =]
Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Out of curiosity, do you plan on turning your car to the performance side of things once you're done (never)?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Leave it to you to give us a set of pics as a precursor to your REAL set of pics.
Looking good! I thought I had become meticulous, but you sir, take the cake!
lol, thanks J. I figure, I'm going to have this cars for another +4 years, there is no sense in shaving an hour to deal with a 4 year eyesore.

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Awesome, we need a mod to come in here, take all the pics, stories, and how to parts of this and condense it into one superthread!
This thread is the final exam for a TL owner, lol

HOLY BEETLE!! Haha that made me warm inside. have you thought about a CAI? if not, removing the intake resonator?
Ohhhhh, me like the latter idea. I'll shoot you a PM in a while...

Are you going for an all HID front end? What about 3000K DRLs for some contrast?
Probably not. I never use the DRLs, no point in wasting money on a feature I never use.

Originally Posted by lopopo
not sure if any1 asked you yet.. but where did you get the black paint w/ pearls (correct if im wrong)? ]
Duplicolor clear effex. Everything I did is from a rattle can but followed up with wetsand and polish. Surprise, everyone!

Out of curiosity, do you plan on turning your car to the performance side of things once you're done (never)?
HAHA! I'll answer that tonight.

PICS COMING IN A FEW HOURS, WAITING FOR NIGHTFALL TO GET THE SHOTS.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Duplicolor Clear Effex? I used that before on my grille when I painted it a gunmetal color... (got rid of it and now it's black)
But the finish came no where close to your finish.
I guess wet sand/polish really makes a difference!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Alright, some shots of everything juuuuust about done. Speaking of things going awry, I had the camera on the wrong setting, so this was all I got. Talk about anti climactic.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

FINAL REFLECTIONS AND LESSONS LEARNED

…yeah, I’m going to get preachy on you. Just some pointers…

IT TAKES A TOLL ON YOU
“You have too much free time on your hands.” Ahhh, yes, I’ve heard this a lot. Truth is, far from it. I’ve spent nearly every free moment I have had over the past 7 months or so dedicated to working on the TL in every increment I could. Good thing, yeah? Well, when you were watching TV, I was in the garage. When you were sleeping, I was probably in the garage. …but on the flip side, when you were out with friends, I was probably in the garage, and when you were drinking, yep, I was probably in the freaking garage. I was able to pull this off through the patience of my wife, friends, and family, simply put. …but it was exhausting. I leave for work at about 630am and usually return at 7pm M-F, and spend about 3 hours on Sunday cooking for the week, so I have been running myself ragged getting this car done. But it’s done. All I am saying is, plan, plan, plan. Don’t go crazy like I did…it’s exhausting. Just have fun with it.

BUDGET SHOULD RULE ALL
I come from a very low-income family and have busted my ass, and believe me, encumbered some crazy debt along the way, but have just about paid off every dime. ..so I have come to really understand and appreciate fiscal responsibility and freedom. So everything you see here was paid in cash. Keep in mind people, it’s a car – a means to an end, not the end. So if you can’t pay for it in cash, DON’T DO IT. Why? You can instead focus on things like a vacation, retirement , and the like. This is why my car is not dropped, this is why I don’t have wheels…yet. In time.

VIEW THINGS FROM A RISK MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE

Huh? Yeah! When considering ANY mod, the first thing that came to mind is, “If something goes awry, how hard is it to fix, how expensive is it to fix, and will I have a car to drive?” So, this, for instance, is why I have not touched the engine yet. I am still under warranty and plan to stay that way. The electronics? Yeah, shot there. But the engine still gets me the loaner, still gets me to work…you know, that place that allows for the whole budget thing to work. Engine work? Maybe in a year or two…

TAKE YOUR MOTHERF*CKING TIME
It amazes me how some members will shave 1 to 2 hours only to be left with a screwed up mod that they will have to spend +4 years looking at. I could have done the LEDs faster, I could have done the grille quicker…but I didn’t. I took my sweet ass time in some cases. Why? I still have 4 years or so before the loan is done, and I’d much rather know that what I did was done so bearing the mindset of reliability above all. That’s why we got an Acura, no?

…sooooo, that’s about it from here for now. I will have some updates here and there, probably not for a few weeks at earliest. In the meantime I’m focused on my next project, which will be a Master’s Degree in Engineering Management. So thanks to all that have enjoyed this thread, and I hope I was able to help some members as much as this forum has helped me. Keeping modding, AZiners!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

...aaaaaand finally...

Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Fucking Nail in Tire.

I'll be posting a DIY on the 105k Maintenance to save you some more coin.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Dan you are the man! I love this thread even though I probably won't ever try half of the shit you post

@ the cost of wheels.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Majofo
Fucking Nail in Tire.

I'll be posting a DIY on the 105k Maintenance to save you some more coin.
Not a good day, haha

Looking forward to it! Not sure' if I'm willing to tackle the lifters on my own, though, there is a decent write up on the belts on here...
Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 PM

I plug my own hole in tires!
PS...YEAH, ok...you're done modding for now. I'll hold my breath, ok?!?!

About HID's... check DDMtuning.com 30 bucks, for the whole kit...and it's lifetime warranty. Those are my lows (bulbs obvi) and my fogs.

J.

Other than that...came out great, man. Preach on!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dude.....you're done???? That's it???? C'mon, there's GOT to be more coming.......
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Car looks great bud. It has come a long way since you first bought it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
After listing to what Dan spent on the mods and cost to own the car I can't blame him for being done with the modding. Yuo do get to a point where you get to enjoy the car that you modded and enjoy your life....Dan its summer time so enjoy it because being a NY native, I know all too well they are short lived up in the NE. I've gotten to the no modding stage and now am modding the house instead......Unlike the car, a mod in the house will give you a return on investment. I built my fourth deck in the backyard and will do more when the funds clear.

Dan, thanks for an awesome thread that I enjoyed from start to finish!

Quick Reply: Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)