Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
WORKLOG: 13 Days vs. Unwavering Zeal...an insane winter worklog!

Shit. Well, here's the background: Being a responsible American, I only mod when I have the liquid resources to do so (ibflame, bring it, but no thread-jacking), which hasn't exactly been the fruiting tree I'd hope it'd be this last quarter due to an absurd number of fall weddings my wife was a participant in. I had a back-up, though...in the form of a 2001 Maxima that was loitering around my driveway/garage. While I was hoping for a quick sale in the fall, Murphy and his dread ethos made their presence well known, so my 'fun money' was tied up in a huge black hunk of steel (albeit, a beautiful one at that) during a time in which daylight/warm temperatures were abound. ...fast forward to a few months later, and, long story short, she will soon be on her way to what promises to be a lovely home. Awesome..?

During this time I have been strategically mapping a 3-year plan for all mods I wish to perform to the TL, a fair portion of which is best completed in situ. SO, now that due fiscal resources have become available, a frenzy of transactions have occurred resulting in my front door becoming much-less a front door and moreso a receiving dock for all of the goodies on their way (kiss my ass, Santa - I won't be needing your services this year and the cookies are too damn tasty to let your century hardened arteries take another beating, you can thank me later).

I have off from work until Jan 4th (I really was planning this for awhile), which pits me and my TL dreams against the icy grips of winter and an ambition that shant be assuaged by those both natural and un-natural. This will require some pretty crazy shit, namely, how in the hell I am going to paint things in a freezing garage.

The goal? Complete the list in 13 days. The list? As follows:

EXTERIOR
A-Spec front lip
Custom grille w/ fiberglass cut-out
Paint Grille
Black-out Acura logos
Debadge

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
Headlight Blackout
Custom LED turnsignal mod (no one on AZine has this...hope it'll work)
ZKW-r
Bodymatch Headlamp accessories
Bodymatch TL-S tails
Niteshadez TL-S tails, sidemarkers
Foglights w/ HID install
CCFL Angel eyes
CCFL Lisc. Plate
HID Reverse Lights

AUDIO
80sqft. Damplifier install
36sqft. Overkill Pro install
Upgrade Ground cable to 1/0AWG
Dom's PnP
Backup cam
Sub Install w/ Beauty Panel (Arc Audio 2500-XXK w/ 2x Alumapro Alchemy RX, SQ Model)
3/4 Din DVD Player install in center console (goin' for it, Rocky - wish me luck)

INTERIOR
Cabin Lamp LED Upgrade
Finish off LED install retrofit of OE bulbs
Custom 'mood' LED lighting
Ultrasuede headliner
Ultrasuede Sunvisors (this is the only thing I'm apprehensive to do, lol)

...and I think that about sums it up. The garage is organized, the list is set. I will lose some time between X-Mas and NYE, which fawking sucks, as well as Sunday night due to a concert (Cannibal Corpse, hell yes!!!) So in addition to all this I will ALSO be cooking a 7 fishes dinner.

Can I do it? Is this too ambitious? ONLY TIME WILL TELL!!!

Keep your eyes peeled, hell's wrath is about to be unleashed and only one will win.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'm in for the journey.
I know you're meticulous from your other threads so I'd put my wager on you being able to complete this list in said 13 day timespan.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

I'm off until the 4th as well! Tell Santa to head my way then, I have a whole bag of cookies for him since my receiving dock was foreclosed due to the current economic hardships. If you start early enough you'll be done in time for Xmas! Post pics as you progress.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas!

Oh, believe me, pics GALORE!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
wow nice list.. i just did a bunch of stuff you have on your list!
-Doms, mood lighting, HID reverse, upgraded negative battery cable, reverse camera.. lol .. took me 3 weeks working every other day for about 1 hour and I JUST completed it 2 days ago.. I still need to post up the pics!

Anyways! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.. Pics of my install will be up soon.. =)
Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang man take lots of pics!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 AM
I need a car in

thats alot of things to do, but if you are dedicated you will get it done!
it took me 4 days to finish my audio setup with the reverse hid. have fun!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
This sounds like fun.

That's 6 days of work... When you do all these mods at once, it'll take no time. Get organized, plan, and get after it...

What's with the HID reverse lights?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
This sounds like fun.

That's 6 days of work... When you do all these mods at once, it'll take no time. Get organized, plan, and get after it...

What's with the HID reverse lights?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK345aRzOC8

I think you can do it man. By the looks of your other threads, you know exactly what you are doing. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
ALL HAIL DeathMetal!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Judging by your other threads, this should be a piece of cake for you. Good Luck

Please take pics and make an updated DIY for install of DVD
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Can't wait to see the progress on this. Are you doing daily updates or just one massive on on January 3rd?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

DAY #1
Deliverables: NONE.

Well, today was an interesting day. Thinking that the Maxima was going to be picked up, the garage free for the TL, and work to commence, I woke this morning thinking that the forecast for 3-6" of snow would hold true...guess what...IT DIDN'T. I am a resident of South Jersey, and in case you were unaware of the matte, and unbeknownst to me, the forecast called for 24" OF SNOW. This is the biggest snowstorm to hit the area in 100 years.

I told the buyer that he would be recieving the car in magnificent condition, and I am not one to break my word, so I had to keep the Max in the workstation...but wait, it gets better. After three iterations of performing up-right rows for at least an hour each, something MAGICAL happened around 7:30pm...I took these shots before hanging up the proverbial towel for the night...

After heading in, is see a pair of headlights coming down the street, and I think to myself (No fucking way...no...) YEP. THE CAR CARRIER SHOWS UP. A blessing in disguise? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The guy got stuck...TWICE. We eventually gave up due to the fact that while I am capable of pulling the Max out (and the TL in) without having the roads plowed (kinda need some space for turning), this will be a complete and total impossibility. Here's a profoundly crappy picture that cannot even begin to allude to the horror of helping this pour Georgian soul whom had the grave misfortune of pulling the short straw for this haul

So that's about it for today. Suck balls, but there's not much that can be done. Not happy with the matter, but I at least have some LED stuff I can work on tomorrow. (USPS really stands by rain, sleet, or shine).

Here's a holiday pic, I'm off to rest these incredibly weary bones.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM

lol.. Murphy stikes again.. Thanks for keeping us entertained though. Nice Pics.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 AM
disability space parker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is entertaining... thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Drifting

wow that sucks man.. I am going to follow this thread!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice westie and Nice snow fall !
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Man that sucks. Nice photos though. Handsome family you got there!!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im from South Jersey too, Vineland. My drive way looks like yours. I wish I could take out my TL, but its gonna stay parked for a few days till this melts.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i envy you. GL!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Alright...finally have a chance to get started...HERE WE GO!!!

Updated tonight!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
good luck on the build, im ready for the updates.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Yah man good luck!! I was supposed to install some fog lights on my moms car tonight, but its too cold outside for me.. lol .. and its 55 degrees here.. lol .. I cant imagine working in a garage with it snowing outside!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

It's 26F out right now, I am finishing up some deadening and then throwing the towel in for the night, some pretty good progress thus far!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Lol I wish I had the money you had to spend on all these mods. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

DAY 2
DELIVERABLES: NONE

Well, Day #2 of the big dig. PURPORTEDLY, our Georgian friend was to be coming by today 'pon early morn to carry said car...but that did not happen until noonish or so. Nonetheless, he came, and upon a much more agreeable scene to take teh delivureh

I gave thumbs up...

...wherein up and away we went...

...and doggeh had his say...

...then I popped a top to my homie.

FINALLY, SHIT. Took long enough.

...so it was about 4:00pm when everything was all said and done, and with a concert at 5, and pregaming to be had, mods just weren't happening that night. As if I had not already had my balls well tenderized, my friend and I braved the tundra and arrived at the venue only to discover IT HAD BEEN RESCHEDULED. Nice. No website update, no calls, no e-mails, NADA.

I finished the night with about 9 beers in total and called it a day. On to day 3...
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

DAY 3
DELIVERABLES: Trunk deadening, rear interior strip-down, trunklid deadening

So I guess I started at what, 2 or so? There's hella work to be done on the trunk, so things started simply enough with removing the trunkliner and all the other associated BS. I paid an arm and a leg for shipping on my deadener, and it paid off. Finally, something is going right. Almost...

So here's what we have. I am using 80sqft of Damplifier and 36sqft of Overkill Pro, from Second Skin Audio. I am going to do the trunk, trunklid, reardeck, and doors. While I am at it, I am going to use the OKP to replace all of the crap medical gauze Honda elected to use at cushioning, maybe I'll save it for some of my co-workers bleeding vaginas.

...as with anything we've encountered thus far, of course, there's problems. So, the deadener is as stiff as my ex in the sack, maybe a bit colder to boot...which translates to one thing: NO ADHESION. But I had a back-up plan. First plan was to use a heat gun...it would get quite hot, then fail to stick. Shit. Ok, let's get crazy. So then I heated the oven to 300F, baked for 4 mins, then played hot potato all the way to the garage. This kinda-sorta worked, but not quite. Aside from butyl vapors that were making me reminisce of "experimental" days, I had to face the fact nothing was working. But why? ...then it dawned upon me. The cold steel of the trunk was acting as a massive heatsink that quickly caused any tack to shrivel faster then a proper man before the Playboy centerfold of a Rosie O'Donnell photo shoot. So I decided to let the mat warm up in the laundry room and let my task light bring the mess up a few degrees. About 2 hours later, YESSSSSSS, we're in business.

I forgot just how much goddamn work trunk deadening is. I wanted to make sure I wrapped any free-standing beams to ensure no errant waves can wreak havoc on any otherwise placid aural environment. Time for a recharge, coffee + instant coffee/espresso + hazelnut = awesome. Speaking of awesome, I also forgot that deadening is akin to jerking off barbed wire. That pumice soap is gonna feel GREAT in a few.

Time for the lid.

Since we're all about calling attention to all things awesome, how did you guys miss this character? He and his twin are on both sides.

Time to skin the inside. I also started on the outside when I finally gave up. Maybe it was the caffiene crash, but I am really blaming it on the absolutely abhorrent drivel known as the 'Jimmy Fallon Show'. It only reaffirms my loathe of TV and has me convinced that if said show constitutes humor...ehhh, fuck it, I'm too tired to come up with a clever punchline right now. Anyway, enjoy, more deadening and some LED work tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Doin' work!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM

watcha got against da Roots & my man Jimmy? lol..

Looking good so far, sad to see the Maxima go but Daddy only has room for one toy.. I think with your schedule it should go something like:

1. Trunk
  2. System
  3. Headlights
  4. Grille
  5. Aspec
  6. LED's
  7. Headliner
  8. Sunvisors
That way the main work gets finished.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 AM

lol.. yeah.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Majofo
watcha got against da Roots & my man Jimmy? lol..
Not my cup o' tea. I never said anything about the Roots, though...they know how to lay it the hell down

Looking good so far, sad to see the Maxima go but Daddy only has room for one toy.. I think with your schedule it should go something like:
Not a bad suggestion! I am going to take it in this order...but we still have good time to go....
  1. Trunk
  2. System
  3. Headlights
  4. Grille (then parts off to paint while I fiberglass)
  5. Headliner
  6. Fogs
  7. Painted parts install/finish headlights
  8. A Spec

...worst case scenario, I don't get the DVD player or the LEDs done...which is not a big deal, I can finish that on a weekend. My main concern is the trunk/headliner/bumper region work, namley due to the lengthy breakdown/install process, and envisioning worst case scenario, they are kinda/sorta parts that would prohibit me from driving to work safely/legally, lol Either way, hella work, let's git' 'er done!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Not my cup o' tea. I never said anything about the Roots, though...they know how to lay it the hell down

Not a bad suggestion! I am going to take it in this order...but we still have good time to go....
  1. Trunk
  2. System
  3. Headlights
  4. Grille (then parts off to paint while I fiberglass)
  5. Headliner
  6. Fogs
  7. Painted parts install/finish headlights
  8. A Spec

...worst case scenario, I don't get the DVD player or the LEDs done...which is not a big deal, I can finish that on a weekend. My main concern is the trunk/headliner/bumper region work, namley due to the lengthy breakdown/install process, and envisioning worst case scenario, they are kinda/sorta parts that would prohibit me from driving to work safely/legally, lol Either way, hella work, let's git' 'er done!
They should rename that show "The Roots w/ Jimmy Fallon".. then if ratings tank.. "Late Night with the Roots"

Your plan looks good.. Can't wait to see your work on the Headlights & Headliner.. We'll be waiting on your next update!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:56 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
nice job dude! your list is impressive. ill be watching. while you're at it you could also remove that black foam shit on each side of the wheel wells in the trunk and add deadening there too. then after that you could just put it back on. i did it on mine.

your LED work is awesome
Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Ok, so here's the latest: we're being hit by an 'arctic blast', which means that it's not cold, it's 20F or so rendering it near impossible to work without cursing life, so work has been slow going. I'll admit now - there's not a snowball's chance in hell all of this is going to be done in 13 days, but wtf, we'll get as much done as we can. Here's just a few update shots, more to come on the 26th. I suppose the good thing is that I'm loaded with projects up until the end of spring, at least. :p

Old 12-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I set a two day project for myself and finished late last night. I painted my grill AM, got 10,000k HID's and installed led license plate lights. Here are some pics...once again sorry to thread jack, I just didn't feel it was necessary to open another thread...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
JD TL-S is that you ??
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Not to thread jack, but I set a two day project for myself and finished late last night. I painted my grill AM, got 10,000k HID's and installed led license plate lights. Here are some pics...once again sorry to thread jack, I just didn't feel it was necessary to open another thread...
good job on the thread jack.. should've just made your own thread.. lol

its like saying..

don't mean to be rude but.. blah blah blah blah blah....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
:thief:

Quick Reply: Death Metal's Journey (a DIY'ers Worklog for TL Perfection!)