WTF check engine light!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
WTF check engine light!!!

OK so Saturday i put on the XLR8 Res Catback & RV6 Res test pipe. i disconnected the battery to reset the ECU.

Today, Monday. i go to lunch with a coworker and on the way we are on this backroad where its nice and straight with no cops. i floor it and the check engine light starts flashing... so im like wtf.... then it goes away. on the way back im on the same road and i floor it again. (i dont normally drive like this i just wanted to feel the gains of the recent mods). so when i floor it again on the way back, this time the check engine light is solid and i get an error message thing on my nav screen. says that the engine is having a problem and that the RPMs may not read accurately......

im going to disconnect the battery to see if it clears the check engine light. should i be worried about anything?

i was thinking maybe its the Fuel / Air ratio was off so thats what triggered it.

anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
no dude, get the code read first... whats the code on the nav screen?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
j1n
Pro

i dunno what the code was. i cleared it by disconnecting the battery.

im sure i can recreate the error code by flooring it again. i did it twice. frist time it was flashing and cleared by itself.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you installed excelerates catback only? what other "mods" are you talking about in your prior post? maybe you messed with o2 sensors? i've never heard of error messages coming off the navi screen? but then again, my car's older than yours...
bad gas? hm..................
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
j1n
Pro

other mod i did recently was the test pipe (3rd cat delete).
gas i got 92 from wawa... doubt it was bad gas. i think it was a bad Air / Fuel ratio..... cause theres more air flow with the catback.

but then again i dont know enough to determine that. it did clear tho when i disconnected the battery.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get that code to come back again. Then go get those codes read. That's the only way to get a good idea of whats going on.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Exhaust mods aren't going to cause a CEL, at least the mods you installed. The only way you could have triggered a CEL was if you installed different pre-cats or damaged a sensor when installing one of the parts.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
or have a bad seal in the system. when my pre-cat weld started failing it threw an 02 Sensor code.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

he doesn't have precat deletes

listen the code is still in ur nav... hit mapguide menu and cancel and go into the xmhip or someshit like that, it will have everything the car ever has thrown

ps. 06+ I believe has the obd stuff in the nav... it records every single thing... ie. tpms sensor error messages, air bag codes, abs codes, cel codes... hell it even records the very first time you turn the vsa off
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
first off, catback isnt gonna give you a CEL....doesnt matter what flow you increased,
2nd, you mention disconnecting the battery to reset ECU, and thats fine and dandy, but usually when you disconnect the battery, you should let the car IDLE for 10 mins, mainly for the map sensor to reset and recalibrate itself, and not start driving right away...
3rd, our 3G TL, is extremely sensitive electrical power. in other words, even the slightest loss of ground, can set all kinds of codes...mainly because different sensors and components are affected by different resistance...your CEL flashing when you got on it, is usually a misfire... now im almost positive, this is all due to your battery, since you didn't mention any previous problems, when you disconnected the battery, your terminals may not be making the best contact.

I recently did smth on a friends TL (nothing major), and a few times i tried starting his car, it would sutter..batt didnt seem to have enough juice to even push the starter, nevermind crank...but after a few ignition tries, it would start..and i told him, it was the battery. few days latter he tells me he got a CEL code, translated into "motor was running lean"...thought about it for a min, and told him...it was due to the battery...eventually he ended up changing it...never got a code back.

this is not to say ur problems are due to a bad terminal connection...but something to look into..that can affect sensors throughout the motor, which will throw a code.

Try cleaning the terminals, grease them, tighten them properly, and also, the main ground cable from the batt that's bonded onto the chassis...check that out too...oxidation can affect these things.

i remember once, i couldn't start my car...battery terminals seemed fine and tight...jump starting didn't work, pushing the car didn't work, towing it didn't work...it wouldn't start...i go move the negative terminal...just a light TWIST...the car crancked and started...just an example of how sensitive it is to electrical power.

goodluck...let me know what you find
Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
he doesn't have precat deletes

listen the code is still in ur nav... hit mapguide menu and cancel and go into the xmhip or someshit like that, it will have everything the car ever has thrown

ps. 06+ I believe has the obd stuff in the nav... it records every single thing... ie. tpms sensor error messages, air bag codes, abs codes, cel codes... hell it even records the very first time you turn the vsa off
Yes thank you for reminding me.

Ok i got 3 codes but they all say the same thing.
codes are: p0300, p0301, p0305
says: Engine may not operate properly, Acceleration may be reduced. RPMs may read lower then normal.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
if u get PO300 u gonna get 301 302 303 304 305 306... meanin the car is misfiring, get it checked out... tune up maybe? or even a leak in ur manifold maybe causing this issue
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
j1n
Pro

Thanks ABP_04TL.

do you think i am covered under warranty for it? or does my mods void the warranty?....
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
Thanks ABP_04TL.

do you think i am covered under warranty for it? or does my mods void the warranty?....
u should b covered dont c y not...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by Opel
first off, catback isnt gonna give you a CEL....doesnt matter what flow you increased,
2nd, you mention disconnecting the battery to reset ECU, and thats fine and dandy, but usually when you disconnect the battery, you should let the car IDLE for 10 mins, mainly for the map sensor to reset and recalibrate itself, and not start driving right away...
3rd, our 3G TL, is extremely sensitive electrical power. in other words, even the slightest loss of ground, can set all kinds of codes...mainly because different sensors and components are affected by different resistance...your CEL flashing when you got on it, is usually a misfire... now im almost positive, this is all due to your battery, since you didn't mention any previous problems, when you disconnected the battery, your terminals may not be making the best contact.

I recently did smth on a friends TL (nothing major), and a few times i tried starting his car, it would sutter..batt didnt seem to have enough juice to even push the starter, nevermind crank...but after a few ignition tries, it would start..and i told him, it was the battery. few days latter he tells me he got a CEL code, translated into "motor was running lean"...thought about it for a min, and told him...it was due to the battery...eventually he ended up changing it...never got a code back.

this is not to say ur problems are due to a bad terminal connection...but something to look into..that can affect sensors throughout the motor, which will throw a code.

Try cleaning the terminals, grease them, tighten them properly, and also, the main ground cable from the batt that's bonded onto the chassis...check that out too...oxidation can affect these things.

i remember once, i couldn't start my car...battery terminals seemed fine and tight...jump starting didn't work, pushing the car didn't work, towing it didn't work...it wouldn't start...i go move the negative terminal...just a light TWIST...the car crancked and started...just an example of how sensitive it is to electrical power.

goodluck...let me know what you find
Good info! your right i dont think it misfired. car runs good, even when i had it WOT it was running good. do you think the power has anything to do with when i had it WOT for it to set off teh CEL? both times it happened when it was WOT. normal driving doesnt set it off.

also should i reset the ECU again and let it idle for 10+ min? first time i did it i was idle for at least ten min but yesterday when i cleared the CEL i drove it right away.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
Yes thank you for reminding me.

Ok i got 3 codes but they all say the same thing.
codes are: p0300, p0301, p0305
says: Engine may not operate properly, Acceleration may be reduced. RPMs may read lower then normal.
those codes mean....
"300-random misfire" "301-cylinder 1 misfire" "305-cylinder 5 misfire"

that can be caused from a lot of things.....im telling you to check ur battery connections and make sure ur battery is in good condition. this is, since you didnt have the problem before, and it happened after you reset the ecu by disconnecting the batt.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I once got a random flashing CEL while accelerating at 70+ about 2 weeks after pulley and pre-cat install. just flashed a few times, no standing codes, car ran fine. I went easy on it for a day. probably no help
Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

if you are misfiring it could also be some cheap fucking gas... or you simply forgot to connect something back in... or you will need to just replace all ur sparkplugs...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
if you are misfiring it could also be some cheap fucking gas... or you simply forgot to connect something back in... or you will need to just replace all ur sparkplugs...
Hmmm... i dont think its the gas. i got premium 92 octane at WAWA. either that or i get 93 at exxon.

anyways i dont think it was a misfire because the engine was running smooth the entire time. even when i got the CEL it was running smooth. i would think that i would feel something if both cyl 1 and 5 misfired..... right..?

so i checked that battery and i disconnected it again and put it back on nice and tight. ran the car for 15 min idle for teh ECU. hopefully it should be fine now. im going to take it easy for a week then try it again and see if i get a CEL.