UR Crank Pulley on Blown TL Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UR Crank Pulley on Blown TL Issue??

So I took my UR Crank pulley to be installed to the shop that installed my supercharger and the owner there was adament that it would cause some 'harmonic imbalance' because there wasn't a layer of rubber around the pulley like the stock pulley, so basically it won't be able to absorb the vibrations...

Now I read a bit about this on other threads but do you guys think this will be an issue a couple months down the road???
Old 08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ussi
So I took my UR Crank pulley to be installed to the shop that installed my supercharger and the owner there was adament that it would cause some 'harmonic imbalance' because there wasn't a layer of rubber around the pulley like the stock pulley, so basically it won't be able to absorb the vibrations...

Now I read a bit about this on other threads but do you guys think this will be an issue a couple months down the road???
Ussi,

I would not worry about this as the Tl is internally balanced. This was the story years ago when the Crank was balanced partially by the pulley which is not the case on our motors. I had my underdrive pulley on for over 25k and no problems. I jsut installed the stock diameter for the blower and still no problems. I would not worry.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Probably not... It's a harmonic dampener not a harmonic balancer. Search also NVH - Noise Harshness and Vibration

Lot's of good reading in the 2nd Gen forums. Do some searching and get some already posted thoughts.

Lots of 2nd Gen postings, since they've been using them longer.
https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=367729
Old 08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I (don't) whine.

kennedy, i actually did read up alot on dampeners/balancers and thats why i didn't think it would be a problem, I wouldn't think a layer of rubber would be all that significant. However, my tech was pretty adament that on a Supercharged Tl it would cause problems down the line.. maybe a couple months.. and he's pretty knowledgable about acuras since that is all he works on.

I don't doubt the product or your advice but i think im thinking i might just play it safe and wait a couple months before installing this i guess
Old 08-30-2006, 01:55 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ussi
kennedy, i actually did read up alot on dampeners/balancers and thats why i didn't think it would be a problem, I wouldn't think a layer of rubber would be all that significant. However, my tech was pretty adament that on a Supercharged Tl it would cause problems down the line.. maybe a couple months.. and he's pretty knowledgable about acuras since that is all he works on.

I don't doubt the product or your advice but i think im thinking i might just play it safe and wait a couple months before installing this i guess
Certainly smart to consider the implications before going ahead with a mod... I don't havea blower, so I can't really comment. I'm not worried about running mine on my NA TL. I'm not sure what new risks the blower introduces either, other than a nice bump in HP.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm lost here.

Does he mean the vibration that a rubber belt would produce, or the vibration that would be passed on from the pulley to the rubber belt???
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by joed40
I'm lost here.

Does he mean the vibration that a rubber belt would produce, or the vibration that would be passed on from the pulley to the rubber belt???
The rubber on the stock pulley serves an engine noise/vibration dampener. Replacing it with a UR removeds this capability. Thsi means supposedly, more noise, more vibration, transmitted to the engine, and thus to you.

Some internet theory's think this vibration will cause cause your crank bearings to fail... especially on engines not as well balanced as Honda's.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
The rubber on the stock pulley serves an engine noise/vibration dampener. Replacing it with a UR removeds this capability. Thsi means supposedly, more noise, more vibration, transmitted to the engine, and thus to you.

Some internet theory's think this vibration will cause cause your crank bearings to fail... especially on engines not as well balanced as Honda's.
wow... that sounds really scary... I just ordered my URs... I guess this would happen to non S/C ed TLs right?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
here we go again.....

There should be sticky's on the most overtalked issues.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:25 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by special-ed
here we go again.....

There should be sticky's on the most overtalked issues.
yeah yeah i know its been beaten to death, i almost didn't want to post, it is a new issue for blown TLs

I should have actually waited a few weeks and just waited for feedback from those who HAD it installed on their supercharged TLs.
'
OHHH WELL LETS WAIT AND SEE.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a matter of your own opinion and decision to do. Read up on it and go with your instincts. To each his own. I personally wont be installing one.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If your mechanic worked on Honda/Acura's then he probably is concerned b/c the B and D series engines do have a crank pulley set up to do more "balancing/damping". The F, J, and I believe the H series have different style crank pulleys with a rubber insert (elastomer). The engines are internally balanced. Even so there are many ppl w/ B and D series engines who run the UR crank pulleys with no issues at all. Sometimes some ppl say there is an issue when running a turbo kit on the B and D series (Civic, Integra) engines but I have yet to see one personally have an issue.

And I have a boosted F series engine (F23A1) running 15 lbs of boost with the UR pulleys and I have no issues at all.