Twin Turbo TL anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Twin Turbo TL anyone?

I know the turbo setup has been beat to hell, but Right now I am speaking with Auto addictions and they have successfully used the AEM F/IC Piggybacked with a twin turbo setup on an Accord V6, 2006. It is using stock internals for the motor. They have stated that they have gotten about 450 WHP and it has the acura LSD on it. He will be shortly sending me dyno sheets and some pictures of the setup. We may have a turbo for the TL on the way. Also they quoted me a cost of around 7K top to bottom with everything that the accord had.

Just though I should give you a heads up about this. I am still getting info from them about the setup such as if they have any aftermarket parts on the accord, and what the A/F ration. If you need anything asked, I will most likely call them tommorow and speak with them. Finally, a solution for the TL that has been used in reality.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, there have been alot of turbo's on the Accord 03+ V6.. and engine management isnt really our biggest feat to accomplish

room.

simply put, these engine bays are CRAMPED. where would you be able to put a turbo? let alone two?

the downpipes, would also be a serious problem that would cause for some engine bay cleaning/modding such as removing the battery and maybe other accesories (a/c or p/s)

I dont think we will ever see a twin turbo 3G TL.... hopefully, but not likely....
Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I know the turbo setup has been beat to hell, but Right now I am speaking with Auto addictions and they have successfully used the AEM F/IC Piggybacked with a twin turbo setup on an Accord V6, 2006. It is using stock internals for the motor. They have stated that they have gotten about 450 WHP and it has the acura LSD on it. He will be shortly sending me dyno sheets and some pictures of the setup. We may have a turbo for the TL on the way. Also they quoted me a cost of around 7K top to bottom with everything that the accord had.

Just though I should give you a heads up about this. I am still getting info from them about the setup such as if they have any aftermarket parts on the accord, and what the A/F ration. If you need anything asked, I will most likely call them tommorow and speak with them. Finally, a solution for the TL that has been used in reality.
Unfortunately, the engine management system on the 2006 accord isn't the same as it is on the 2006 (or even 2004 TL) so engine management issues are still there. Get your guy to SHOW that he can tune a TL and you'll have alot of interested players. Until then it just more hot air.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
who neeeds TT these days? I mean, i've heard of Single turbo surpra's beating TT supra.s..
Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Well, there have been alot of turbo's on the Accord 03+ V6.. and engine management isnt really our biggest feat to accomplish

room.

simply put, these engine bays are CRAMPED. where would you be able to put a turbo? let alone two?

the downpipes, would also be a serious problem that would cause for some engine bay cleaning/modding such as removing the battery and maybe other accesories (a/c or p/s)

I dont think we will ever see a twin turbo 3G TL.... hopefully, but not likely....
Well, the accord has a frame very much like the TL, and the motor is .2 litres smaller. SO given that, in theory, would the TL engine bay not be big enought? As for the down pipes, like I said before, same J series block, almost identical dowpipes, so the way it was done on the accord, it could be done on the TL. Of course, moving the battery to the trunk will be needed to make room for the turbos, I am waiting on the pictures of the setup from him.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Unfortunately, the engine management system on the 2006 accord isn't the same as it is on the 2006 (or even 2004 TL) so engine management issues are still there. Get your guy to SHOW that he can tune a TL and you'll have alot of interested players. Until then it just more hot air.
Well of course the operation perameters are different as the accord uses a 3.0 litre and the tl uses a 3.2, but the wiring should be almost the same in the sense that both have drive by wire and so forth. Even if he cannot get the AEM F/IC system to work, he will have the G-Reddy Emanage system to fall back onto.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 AM
I have car ADD

TT = TL (Turbo LAG)

A single turbo GT35 or better yet, a GT28 would probably be perfect for this car.. but then again, tuning (no base maps available) , injectors have yet to be installed on this car (atleast to my knowledge)

Hell, anything is possible.. with the right amount of $$.. but a turbo TL probably would not have the reliabiltiy factor of a daily driver..
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Moderator

TT = TL (Turbo LAG)

A single turbo GT35 or better yet, a GT28 would probably be perfect for this car.. but then again, tuning (no base maps available) , injectors have yet to be installed on this car (atleast to my knowledge)

Hell, anything is possible.. with the right amount of $$.. but a turbo TL probably would not have the reliabiltiy factor of a daily driver..
I emailed him asking a quote for a single turbo and will post when I get it. I will ask him if new injectors need to be installed when I speak to him tomorrow. Lets hope this can get moving and finally have an alternative to the Comptech SC. You are right, reliabiltiy may be an issue since the car won't be road tested by the designer. All we can hope for is that the internals hold up, in one of his emails he said the the accord was running stock internals and had problems so far. Also couldn't the accord base maps be used and just tweaked to tune the TL, I mean its the same series of motor, not much should be different, maybe just the amount of fuel being dumped and the way the motor retards the timing as the accord was designed with 87 octane in mind.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 AM
I have car ADD

i dont think the accord base maps could be used... not sure though

what turbo is this accord running? Turbonetics? garret? size & flanges?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Moderator

i dont think the accord base maps could be used... not sure though

what turbo is this accord running? Turbonetics? garret? size & flanges?
I'll ask that later today when I speak to him, its 2:52 AM right now... Any other stuff to ask him?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I have car ADD

umm. thats about it.. injectors, the fuel pump being used (probably w'boro 255), and DEFINITELY some photos of piping and the I/C
Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I for one think for him to market the kit using stock internals will only allow for a max of 6psi... Which is not gonna yield 450hp... 350 possibly...

See if he's got videos and them dyno sheets will definitely help

As for the 7k price tag... That is right on par for what the honda fit single turbo sells for that comes with the greddy emanage and everything needed to bolt up no problem
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

room.

^^ not quite true, looky here guys \/

everything is retained, AC, PS, battery etc,.

talk about tight fit, but it works

still using the stock battery location

pictures of FMIC

she is a beaut though, i gotta admit

this is sunnyincali's accord with a twin turbo. only problem is, nobody knows what kind of numbers he put down and he was very secretive about the car period. i dont think he ever pushed it as it is only a trailor queen, traveling from show to show and what not what a waste if you ask me. all show and no go.

here is the list of performance mods he has,

Performance and handling:
5150 custom turbo install
AEM fuel regulator
AEM no oil air filters
DC Sports front sway bar
Edelbrock fuel pump
Evolution Racewerks piping/down pipe/exhaust work
Garret turbo GT-25 (2)
Greddy E-manage
HoseTechniques clamps/hoses
Neuspeed short shifter
Nitrous Express NOS kit with purge
Nitrous Express remote bottle opener
Precision Brakes Company big brake kit
Russell Performance fittings
Russell Performance steel braded hoses
Skunk2 dual canister custom exhaust
SPC camber kit
Tein type basic coilovers
Thermo Tec heat shield and exhaust wrapping
Turbo XS BOV
Unorthodox nitrous bottle holder
Unorthodox Racing pulley kit
Yonaka Motorsports intercooler

TT = TL (Turbo LAG)

Hell, anything is possible.. with the right amount of $$.. but a turbo TL probably would not have the reliabiltiy factor of a daily driver.. [/QUOTE]

BINGO, reliabilitly wise, ill take a supercharger over turbo any day of the week, especially if its a DD. they are so much more reliiable and are less stressful on engine components with its liinear powerband. lets face it... with a good tune or not, 11:1 compression runniing anymore than 8-10psi constantly with a turbo, will cause your engine a premature death. these engines were not designed to handle alot of boost.

i have a magazine, i think from honda tuning. from a few years back ill try to dig up. it featured a 6th gen accord with a frankenstiein build. it had a earlier j35a2 block (i believe), with j30a4 heads and the turbos bolted right on the casted manifolds. ill look through my collection to see if i can dig it up, it had some really good info. it mentioned how honda did all the work for us in casting the mainfolds straight into the later gen heads and saving us the trouble of buiding our own custom turbo manifolds,

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi
who neeeds TT these days? I mean, i've heard of Single turbo surpra's beating TT supra.s..
true, some setups are better with twin turbos and some are not. i know the 2jz motors run better with single turbo upgrades while the rb26dett and 30's. usually run more effecient staying with 2 turbos. for the j32, i think twin is the only way to go.

Well, the accord has a frame very much like the TL, and the motor is .2 litres smaller. SO given that, in theory, would the TL engine bay not be big enought? As for the down pipes, like I said before, same J series block, almost identical dowpipes, so the way it was done on the accord, it could be done on the TL. Of course, moving the battery to the trunk will be needed to make room for the turbos, I am waiting on the pictures of the setup from him.
yes it is .2 bigger in displacemet, but the physical size of the motor are both the same. the TL has a bigger bore, with the same stroke.

the TLs radiator is further away and a little higher than the accords radiatior. that is why i needed to build a custom radiator, in order to fit the SC in.

also, tunng would still be a big hurdle to overcome, ive been looking into that AEM FIC myself. ive heard nothing but good things about it. remember im only able to tune the a/f only using the ultimate, but it is good enought for now, for only 4psi. if i ever want to intall my HBP, i might have to try it out.

guys, dont get too happy with these turbos out there. unless you spend the big $$$ on custom made internalls and bulletproof the bottom, there hasnt been a single TC that has showed longevity, along with reliabilty. such as the proven comptech supercharger.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I have car ADD

she is a beaut though, i gotta admit

eh. i like your car more
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
mmmh I like how they kept the battery there NOT lol
I would've moved some stuff to the passenger side, relocated the battery to the middle of the trunk and moved the turbine to the driver side
Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
There's a guy over in the TSX forum that has used the new AEM F/IC unit on his SC with the high boost pulley, made 280 with it. I reckon this new product could be a viable option.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
There's a guy over in the TSX forum that has used the new AEM F/IC unit on his SC with the high boost pulley, made 280 with it. I reckon this new product could be a viable option.

indeed, im going to be looking into this further.

eh. i like your car more

thanx well the paint is really nice, thats what really makes the car

thats why i would never get sponsored though, free parts or not, i couldnt deal with clutterfucking my car with all those stickers lol..

Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZngpLxztK8
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I have car ADD

what was your best pull? like 320 or 330 ?

the paint is eh... i love the blue on your car more. custom or not.... dont know why i didnt get KBP for my TL-S..
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Well of course the operation perameters are different as the accord uses a 3.0 litre and the tl uses a 3.2, but the wiring should be almost the same in the sense that both have drive by wire and so forth. Even if he cannot get the AEM F/IC system to work, he will have the G-Reddy Emanage system to fall back onto.
Wiring "locations" don't matter. WHERE they are is NOT the problem. The information they CARRY is the issue. Everyone who has "attempted" the Emanage of a TL has FAILED to get anywhere at all. How many times have we gone over this? Please review all prior Turbo threads. <EOM>
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
The only reason to go twin turbo over single is packaging. If you can't fit a big single, maybe two smaller twins will work. In the TL's case, I think the best bet is to run a single near the stock battery and relocate the battery.

As far as relilability, why would a supercharger be more reliable than a turbo? If you take two TLs, both make 350whp but one is supercharged and the other is turbo'd, the supercharged motor has to make roughly 50more hp to overcome the drag from the supercharger to make the same at the wheels. What would you think is more reliable? If anything the turbo will make power slightly later in the powerband which will decrease peak cylinder pressure at low rpms. I think the reason turbos seem to get the bad rep with reliability is it's so easy to turn up the boost that most people do and that's where the problems begin.

Emissions would be another story on a ULEV car. The cats need to be close to the heads. Not real sure how it would work with the cats before the turbo... It might be fine and it might cause lag, who knows.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The only reason to go twin turbo over single is packaging. If you can't fit a big single, maybe two smaller twins will work. In the TL's case, I think the best bet is to run a single near the stock battery and relocate the battery.

As far as relilability, why would a supercharger be more reliable than a turbo? If you take two TLs, both make 350whp but one is supercharged and the other is turbo'd, the supercharged motor has to make roughly 50more hp to overcome the drag from the supercharger to make the same at the wheels. What would you think is more reliable? If anything the turbo will make power slightly later in the powerband which will decrease peak cylinder pressure at low rpms. I think the reason turbos seem to get the bad rep with reliability is it's so easy to turn up the boost that most people do and that's where the problems begin.

Emissions would be another story on a ULEV car. The cats need to be close to the heads. Not real sure how it would work with the cats before the turbo... It might be fine and it might cause lag, who knows.
i understand what you are saying. a SC takes hp to make hp. a turbo is much more effecient than a SC, thats a given. im just making a point that a SC has a linear powerband, so it builds boost slowly, as the rpm's climb. a TC will have lag, but once it spools, it gives full boost immediately ive seen some turbos hit full boost at 2000-25000 rpms (depending on set-up of course), which is way more stressful to the rings, pistons, etc,..unless its built to with stand that added pressure, your taking a risk. my SC hits full boost right around 4500-5000rpm and force feeds the engine gradually.. also, there are far less components that can fail on you with a SC and is much easier to put back to stock if needed.

thats why its more practical to SC a DD IMO. your always taking a risk regardless, when you boost an engine that wasnt intended for it.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blusap
i understand what you are saying. a SC takes hp to make hp. a turbo is much more effecient than a SC, thats a given. im just making a point that a SC has a linear powerband, so it builds boost slowly, as the rpm's climb. a TC will have lag, but once it spools, it gives full boost immediately ive seen some turbos hit full boost at 2000-25000 rpms (depending on set-up of course), which is way more stressful to the rings, pistons, etc,..unless its built to with stand that added pressure, your taking a risk. my SC hits full boost right around 4500-5000rpm and force feeds the engine gradually.. also, there are far less components that can fail on you with a SC and is much easier to put back to stock if needed.

thats why its more practical to SC a DD IMO. your always taking a risk regardless, when you boost an engine that wasnt intended for it.
I agree with most of your comments especially about the gradual power. What you mentioned is one of my biggest problems with nitrous.The only part I am having trouble with is the boost building gradually. You're running a roots style blower, right? I've only seen that type of behavior with the centrifugal type blowers. I have a couple friends with 5.3 and 6.0 trucks and the boost from the roots is instantanious. Interesting. I'm always open to learn new things. Is it set up to run this way via the bypass valve or is this a normal trait of the blower?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

what was your best pull? like 320 or 330 ?

the paint is eh... i love the blue on your car more. custom or not.... dont know why i didnt get KBP for my TL-S..

KBP stands for kandy blue pearl right? interesting. my color is BSP blue sapphire pearl

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Is it set up to run this way via the bypass valve or is this a normal trait of the blower?
ive always wondered myself, what would happen if i disabled the bypass valve altogether?? i wouldnt want to find out the hard way

you are talking about nitrous on your GN right? god those things are crazy!! i tried to coax my brother into buying my neighbors superclean GNX back in the day when he was selling it. he passed that up and bought a used 86 SS el camino instead there was a huge price difference though

wonder what a clean 86 GNX goes for nowadays?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blusap
KBP stands for kandy blue pearl right? interesting. my color is BSP blue sapphire pearl

ive always wondered myself, what would happen if i disabled the bypass valve altogether?? i wouldnt want to find out the hard way

you are talking about nitrous on your GN right? god those things are crazy!! i tried to coax my brother into buying my neighbors superclean GNX back in the day when he was selling it. he passed that up and bought a used 86 SS el camino instead there was a huge price difference though

wonder what a clean 86 GNX goes for nowadays?
25 - 100K depending on condition. No nitrous on mine though. I'm pushing my luck on stock internals as it is. Been waiting for the big bang so I can build the motor but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I have to say is.....if you have the money, you can do anything... thats that.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the amount of money you have to spend just to only get 3 something to the wheels aint worth it IMO, its great to do something different but damn..
Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the TL does not utilize a speed density reading to help the car adjust to different intake pressures(boost/vacuum)...a supercharger is much easier to tune due to the consistent IP...with a turbo, boost can hit at any rpm and with the way the ecu/sensors are set up on the TL, there is no way for it to self-adjust according to the boost...the supercharger is some what tunable because everytime and any rpm the boost will be within a fraction to that of the last time the car was ran even if acceleration began at a different rpm....until someone actually tunes a TL and shows that the piston rings arent in the oil pan and the pistons arent cracked in half from detonation, i will stick to the supercharger....anyway SC traction >>turbo traction=better times with the same WHP
Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

a better supercharger design should come out for the tl like a ram induction system if u ask me....the one comptech makes is ehh to me. even if you have to do something custom to the hood id drop a sc that mounts right onto the top of the intake manifold.....theres no lag waiting for power delivery and its right there.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Fight On!

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi
Hmm...Porsche Turbo (the perennial supercar benchmark) has twin turbos. No way Nissan would throw in the GT-R without twin turbos. Now its the benchmark. We'll see what the supercharged Z06 can do.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
a better supercharger design should come out for the tl like a ram induction system if u ask me....the one comptech makes is ehh to me. even if you have to do something custom to the hood id drop a sc that mounts right onto the top of the intake manifold.....theres no lag waiting for power delivery and its right there.
You mean like this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY

This is the first supercharger i'd prefer over a turbo. The whine is HOT, if MTM made a kit for our car, I would of gotten just for that!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
Hmm...Porsche Turbo (the perennial supercar benchmark) has twin turbos. No way Nissan would throw in the GT-R without twin turbos. Now its the benchmark. We'll see what the supercharged Z06 can do.
ZR1 vette man...it'll blow BOTH of them out of the water. (but i hate American cars haha)
Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Kinetic Blue PEarl???
Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
THE J35A2...

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
You mean like this?

This is the first supercharger i'd prefer over a turbo. The whine is HOT, if MTM made a kit for our car, I would of gotten just for that!
what's wrong with comptech's whine?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6LcQBhLAL5k

and Sean, where did you get your J23A3 under your SN?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
Twins are for packaging and marketing because the average person thinks like you do. There is no power advantage and twins spool slower than a big single unless they're sequentially set up. Even then, most cars that were sequentially twin turbo'd upgrade to a big single when upgrade time comes.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
You mean like this?

FAWK! I wet myself! That is SOOOOO HOTT!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
how is the comptech blower ehh? you tell me another system that is more efficient on a SOHC motor! 65whp on 4lbs! not bad if you ask me..and not to mention the decrease in vacuum before boost even hits...peak hp doesnt mean much really...i would rather gain 30whp at 5k rpms and keep the same whp at the peak 6200rpms..then have a 25 more whp gain peak..its just a lot more efficient...
Vote! Who wants a 4" shaker hood on their TL to fit a intake man. replacement blower!...
Not me!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I have car ADD

LOL

on, and screw the porsche TT, the nissan GT-R will be faster.... fastest prod. car in the world they brag, with a 0-60 (3.5) and 1/4m (11.7)

anyways... there are so many factors in the turbo that make the supercharger a better F/I for our cars..

However, it was be nice if comptech introduced a piping/intercooler system that could be run with the HBP to produce, hopefully, like an 80-90 whp increase...with a perfect flush fitment

60whp~ish is great, but for $5000..... thats the only "eh" thing to me about comptech's blower
Old 01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

screw the porsche TT, the nissan GT-R will be faster.... fastest prod. car in the world they brag, with a 0-60 (3.5) and 1/4m (11.7)
they claim it, but i doubt them until they can produce numbers that aren't lies.

The nuremberg track #s they have aren't true.
1) they ran racing slicks (vs. stock tires on all the other cars, i believe)
2) the start point and finish point were different.

don't get me wrong, i still love the GT-R, but after driving a 996 TT, i'll have to wait to get into a GT-R before i judge.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry guys, Things came up and I did not have a chance to speak with him. Here is a reply to the email that I sent him about other parts on the car, this is exact response:
tein ss kit with edfc, apexi cat back, etc. will dyno this weekend & update everyone!

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo TL anyone?