Synthetic Oil Deals

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
edit: last day in LV.. I got majorly hammered here with my good buddy from HI, saw some , lost a lot of money on the tables, saw some ridiculously fast cars including the Nuremberg King Viper ACR, watched JJ take out his team mate FTW & lap Jr... in all it's been a great trip, but back to reality.
I hate you! My trip was cut short but I was there primarily for a funeral anyway so it was hard to get into the Vegas mentality. Usually I have to be babysat but this time I was the babysitter. Mostly sober the whole time, that's a first. I did try out that 5 below club in the Mandalay Bay. Pretty boring but the bartenders do get topless with a little talking from the drunk friends. That would be the female bartenders for anyone wondering lol. I hit some other club in the Wynn but a fight between some gangbangers ruined the night. One of them took a swing at me for laughing at them, luckily I was sober or I probably would've gotten hit.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts has the Castrol Edge with Bosch Distance Plus Filter for $29.99...Good deal..got two of them. Add something else to over $75 and get free shipping. And they also have a code on the website that you can save up to 20% if you order online.

I Use this oil in the summer months and Mobil 1 0w-20 on the winter months. I might change to just keeping the castrol edge to change every year since I dont do much driving!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ i really dont know how castrol edge will be for high mileage engines ?!!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I hate you! My trip was cut short but I was there primarily for a funeral anyway so it was hard to get into the Vegas mentality. Usually I have to be babysat but this time I was the babysitter. Mostly sober the whole time, that's a first. I did try out that 5 below club in the Mandalay Bay. Pretty boring but the bartenders do get topless with a little talking from the drunk friends. That would be the female bartenders for anyone wondering lol. I hit some other club in the Wynn but a fight between some gangbangers ruined the night. One of them took a swing at me for laughing at them, luckily I was sober or I probably would've gotten hit.

You have to tell me the next time you make a trip out here, we need to party.. lol. I really don't know the club scene out here & my future BIL hasn't taken us anywhere, but we checked out the Palms.. that was a cluster fuck. I can't imagine gangbangers hanging out at the Wynn.. that was one of the few places I didn't go during this trip. Anyways, next time bro. Thanks again for the offer.. but I was hammered that night.. that night is a whole new thread.. lol.

Originally Posted by grodri02
Advanced Auto Parts has the Castrol Edge with Bosch Distance Plus Filter for $29.99...Good deal..got two of them. Add something else to over $75 and get free shipping. And they also have a code on the website that you can save up to 20% if you order online.

I Use this oil in the summer months and Mobil 1 0w-20 on the winter months. I might change to just keeping the castrol edge to change every year since I dont do much driving!
I like AAP deals especially their free s&h with >$75 but Castrol Edge is just an overpriced group III oil, not sure about the filter. There's always a deal on M1 (5qts any M1 product + M1 filter) for $25-30 at different national autopart dealers. It's difficult to find M1-EP stacked on the shelf during the deals though, it's the first to go.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I like AAP deals especially their free s&h with >$75 but Castrol Edge is just an overpriced group III oil, not sure about the filter. There's always a deal on M1 (5qts any M1 product + M1 filter) for $25-30 at different national autopart dealers. It's difficult to find M1-EP stacked on the shelf during the deals though, it's the first to go.
I can never find Mobil 1 5w/20 Extended Performance, even Walmart around here doesn't carry it.

I'm in agreement on Edge. It's an ok oil, but it's overpriced for what it is, just like most "synthetics" on the market that are nothing but hydrocracked dino and labeled as synthetic. I hate that oil companies are allowed to get away with that marketing tatic, to me it's tricking consumers into believing they are buying something, when they really aren't getting what they paid for. Especially when they are charging $7-$9 a quart for the stuff. I have a general dislike for Amsoil, I hate their MLM marketing approach, but at least they use real group IV PAO. For what they charge for group III "synthetics" now you can get a real synthetic like Amsoil or Redline for not much more.

Last edited by BradE; 03-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Thanks to this thread, I got some EP Mobil1 from Advanced Auto parts two weeks back for $30 including shipping for 4 qts/1 EP filter

Bought a 4 pack.

Since you guys are saying that Mobil 1 is just glorified regular oil (I do believe you), should I not wait till 10k miles to doa nother oil change?

Mobil recommends up to 15k mile intervals, I was thinking of doing 10k. Is it not safe? thanks (in LA driving)
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Instructor

I ended up going with the new Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter. Walmart didnt have any mobil 1 synthetic in at the time of purchase.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by samplemonster
Thanks to this thread, I got some EP Mobil1 from Advanced Auto parts two weeks back for $30 including shipping for 4 qts/1 EP filter

Bought a 4 pack.

Since you guys are saying that Mobil 1 is just glorified regular oil (I do believe you), should I not wait till 10k miles to doa nother oil change?

Mobil recommends up to 15k mile intervals, I was thinking of doing 10k. Is it not safe? thanks (in LA driving)
no matter what oil i get i do my oil changes at 5K miles....15K is wayyyyy too long.....i would do 7.5K miles max

also you said you got a 4 pack....4qts....for an oil change you need 5qts !!!

Originally Posted by Jaco
I ended up going with the new Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter. Walmart didnt have any mobil 1 synthetic in at the time of purchase.
did you get Penn Plat or Ultra ? i would stick to synthetic once I switch to synthetic....i could feel my car running smoother with Penzoil Plat....(just like in the commercial )
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Just changed the oil in both the X & TL. I used Pep Boys $50 deal on RP w/ a RP filter & they actually had M1EP on the shelf so I grabbed 5qts of M1EP & a M1 filter for $30 as well. The TL (running RP) took 30 mins (had to reposition the car) & the X (running M1) took 15 mins.. They're purring like new again, slightly smoother than before.

I have the RP filters ready to be autopsied.. They still look brand new. The new oil change & filter change will be a good comparison for the next oc since both cars get about the same miles. It's been a little over 8k miles on both vehicles since the last change and the MID is at 300 miles past zero percent. Stay tuned for the filter autopsy.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Instructor

I went with the Ultra Pennzoil. I would have stuck with Mobil 1 but there wasnt any at Walmart when I was there.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Instructor

I bought 12 quarts of D4 Redline at HRPWorld.com listed as an authorized Reseller on Redline's website.

I highly recommend not buying from them. They do not answer emails, and after almost a week, no emails, no replies to emails, and item still has not shipped.

I'm trying to get the order canceled now.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Just changed the oil in both the X & TL. I used Pep Boys $50 deal on RP w/ a RP filter & they actually had M1EP on the shelf so I grabbed 5qts of M1EP & a M1 filter for $30 as well. The TL (running RP) took 30 mins (had to reposition the car) & the X (running M1) took 15 mins.. They're purring like new again, slightly smoother than before.

I have the RP filters ready to be autopsied.. They still look brand new. The new oil change & filter change will be a good comparison for the next oc since both cars get about the same miles. It's been a little over 8k miles on both vehicles since the last change and the MID is at 300 miles past zero percent. Stay tuned for the filter autopsy.
Royal Purple oil filters are awesome!! Just bought one for my '09 TL with 5 quarts of RP 5w30 juice. I had Red Line 5w30 before this run. My car has always had the cold knock issue and with Royal Purple the noise goes away within 15 seconds of gentle driving. With Red Line 5w30, I still had the knock for a good minute. I am the kind who believes that starting the car and driving gently is better than idling for a minute. Majofo, not sure if you have seen a virgin RP oil filter cut open but here is a picture. One hell of a filter but way too expensive

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kingofire
Royal Purple oil filters are awesome!! Just bought one for my '09 TL with 5 quarts of RP 5w30 juice. I had Red Line 5w30 before this run. My car has always had the cold knock issue and with Royal Purple the noise goes away within 15 seconds of gentle driving. With Red Line 5w30, I still had the knock for a good minute. I am the kind who believes that starting the car and driving gently is better than idling for a minute. Majofo, not sure if you have seen a virgin RP oil filter cut open but here is a picture. One hell of a filter but way too expensive

Awesome..

Yep I took mine apart and the filter media was intact & held up well with that wire mesh support. It's an expensive filter but I'll keep the RP filter in 3x longer than the $5 filters so I break even..

I too notice the engine purrs so much smoother on new RP. It definitely degrades as the oil wears though. I'll be sending in a sample for analysis on my next oci.. I might even do an interval in between like at 3-4k miles for a comparison.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Majofo, I actually have had a complete different results with Royal Purple in regards to degragation. It is probably the only oil I have used that doesn't lose its smoothness over an oil change interval. I have tried Amsoil, Red Line, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower and Maxlife and I could feel the engine lose its smoothness over time. Not so with Royal Purple. Even at idle, I couldn't feel any sort of vibrations in the steering wheel or thru the pedal.

For those who may be bored and want to read this huge thread at BITOG, it is a testament as to how well RP worked in this guys car. Remeber the pictures of the cams using RP had TWICE the mileage as the cams using Mobil 1. These cars are actually abused ie. raced.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1688931&page=1
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
""" Pepboys sale. 5qts and filter Mobil1 for 29.99$ hurry in and rack it up
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kingofire
Majofo, I actually have had a complete different results with Royal Purple in regards to degragation. It is probably the only oil I have used that doesn't lose its smoothness over an oil change interval. I have tried Amsoil, Red Line, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower and Maxlife and I could feel the engine lose its smoothness over time. Not so with Royal Purple. Even at idle, I couldn't feel any sort of vibrations in the steering wheel or thru the pedal.

For those who may be bored and want to read this huge thread at BITOG, it is a testament as to how well RP worked in this guys car. Remeber the pictures of the cams using RP had TWICE the mileage as the cams using Mobil 1. These cars are actually abused ie. raced.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1688931&page=1
That reminds me of why I stay away from bitog. Biggest bunch of internet idiots around. Pissing contests between mid 12 second cars. Flawed "testing". Arguing over a few ppm of wear metals in a UOA. It's like they placed the dumbest most egotistical people in one place.

It's the placebo effect. Explain how an engine can run smoother due to an oil change. The only thing that can change is viscosity resulting in a slightly smoother or rougher idle. But again, when oil is cold it can easily be at 10X it's hot viscosity and you don't really notice that much difference on a cold engine that's driven immediately after startup now do you.

I've been from a 0w-20 to a straight 30 in my TL and on the coldest winter days if I really pay attention it feels like there might be more vibration for the first minute or two at idle and that's really paying attention.

That dude was measuring his cams with a caliper and not a micrometer and it was on two different cars which leads to my third point.... One may had started out with a slightly smaller base circle in which case the lobe would have to be smaller to provide the same lift after the lobe difference was taken into account by the hydraulic lifters.

Another point..... these are f-ing roller cams with roller lifters...... There is no sliding, just rolling. Problems in lobe wear would be more of a metallurgy issue than lubrication issue assuming the lube is average.

There are sooo many more things to say but I just don't care enough to say them....

No offense to the OP, this is in no way aimed at you.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 AM

I was expecting this response.. .. I registered with bitog last year but didn't stick with it because of the same petty arguments that pop up over & over.. I read the first page and last page of that thread and figured the middle was pretty much the same. lol..
Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this, but Finally got around to installing the M1 Engine Oil EP and M1 Filter, and Redline ATF today.

Not sure about Engine being smoother, but wow the Redline makes a huge difference. My car was always smooth when revving medium/hard; jumping from gear to gear was seamless and smooth. However, it hard shifted with a delay+tug when up-shifting at light acceleration. That has gone away. Really lovin the stuff. Thanks to all the advice given in this thread
Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Check out www.napaautoparts.com.

All NAPA Gold filters are on sale for 40% off on the internet and in NAPA stores through the end of March. That means their P/N 1334 oil filter which is a WIX with their name on it is reduced to $4.37. And it's the fatter one to boot! I now also buy their own brand of synthetic 5W-20 which is Valvoline SynPower with their name on it for around $4.75 a quart.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DMZ
Check out www.napaautoparts.com.

All NAPA Gold filters are on sale for 40% off on the internet and in NAPA stores through the end of March. That means their P/N 1334 oil filter which is a WIX with their name on it is reduced to $4.37. And it's the fatter one to boot! I now also buy their own brand of synthetic 5W-20 which is Valvoline SynPower with their name on it for around $4.75 a quart.

That's almost the same price of the M1 deal. I swore never to buy napa anything after I took apart a new napa branded starter from them and saw it was just a new shell with old carbonized spool wires and armature.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
That's almost the same price of the M1 deal. I swore never to buy napa anything after I took apart a new napa branded starter from them and saw it was just a new shell with old carbonized spool wires and armature.
If you read my post again, you'll see these are not 'Made by NAPA' items. The oil filter is made by WIX, and the synthetic oil is Valvoline Synpower. I don't know of anyone who's had a bad experience with NAPA parts anyway. Remember, most of their stores are independently owned and operated. Your situation was a fluke to be sure.

As for M1, ExxonMobil cleared $45 Billion in profits in 2008 while ripping us off for almost $5/gal at the pump. And if you'll notice, gas prices at Exxon stations are typically 10¢ a gallon higher on average than any other brand. So all things considered, I don't think they need any more of my money right now, OR YOURS.

Last edited by DMZ; 03-28-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 PM

^^^ apple made a lot of money too....dont buy the ipad....any of us shouldnt
Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ I just bought a jug of Penzoil Platinum at Walmart for $20 yesterday on sale. Another good oil is Motorcraft synthetic blend and that runs about $11 a jug at Walmart. I follow the MID for changes, but the every-3K miles group could make do with the Motorcraft pretty well and save a little money too. I buy my Pure One filters when on sale and stock up since both my cars use the same filter it's pretty easy for me.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM

bringing the thread back from the DEAD !!!

so this weekend did my oil change....i got my car at 60K miles....got oil changes at the dealership till 90K miles....car has Penn Plat 5-20 + KNN oil filter for ~30K miles....from 90K to 125K....

this weekend threw in some Mobil 1 EP + Mobil 1 EP filter .....the engine seems a lot smoother and quiter....throttle response was a little different too....

while shopping for Mobil1 EP i saw Penn Ultra....i think penn'z version of fully synthetic ??? do you guys know more about it ???
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pennzoil ultra is supposed to be better than their full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum and is recommended by Ferrari :-P

I just picked up 2 gallons of Valvoline synpower for $5 after rebate at Kragen. It's a regional deal and seems to be going on in the socal area.

Last week, I picked up 10 quarts for $15 after rebate. I feel a bit gypped lol
Old 04-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gotkilled
Pennzoil ultra is supposed to be better than their full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum and is recommended by Ferrari :-P

I just picked up 2 gallons of Valvoline synpower for $5 after rebate at Kragen. It's a regional deal and seems to be going on in the socal area.

Last week, I picked up 10 quarts for $15 after rebate. I feel a bit gypped lol
The problem is, Pennzoil Platinum is not a synthetic and Ultra is not a full synthetic. Just false advertising.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM

I thought Penn Plat was grp3 and Penn Ultra is grp 4....just like Mobil 1 synthetic is grp3 and Mobil 1 EP is group4....

correct me if am wrong !!!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by swoosh
I thought Penn Plat was grp3 and Penn Ultra is grp 4....just like Mobil 1 synthetic is grp3 and Mobil 1 EP is group4....

correct me if am wrong !!!
Nah. Just a grpIII. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...d=72&Itemid=80
Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 AM

^^^ lol i thought u didn't like that website

on a serious note....that is some detailed info....thanks IHC

Last edited by Xpditor; 05-01-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: correction sp
Old 05-01-2010, 12:25 AM

IHC likes bitog.. he doesn't like some of the bitog newbs and asinine rhetoric that's spewed there.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Team Owner

I'm permanently banned from there for posting nothing worse than what I've stated in this thread. Helen is a bitch. I've had thoughts of shutting that site down.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 AM

no shit.. LOL!

I'm glad I didn't hang around and become a regular.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM

^^^ hey quit using my exclamation marks LOL !!!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Advance Auto Parts have Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil And a K&N Oil Filter for $39.99!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:35 PM

RP is $7 / qt at most places so that's not really a deal.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah but............ My Mercedes takes 8.5 quarts!

This can get expensive!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 PM

yikes.. what's your OCI?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
They just did the first one at 12k miles.

Next is due around 26k or when the Maintenance Minder says "A Service". The 2010s have dropped to 10k miles and I will probably do it annually as I don't put many miles on any one car. That's what I do with the TL. The Jeep gets 3k or 6 mos.