swoosh's build thread....the HIGH PROTEIN DIET !!! (Updated Pics-Page 74-7/12/15)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012 | 01:46 PM
Race Director

I just upped the torque a bit on that end link bolt...

And since that bolt is horizantal and not vertical it won't really make noise when trying to make it make noise...
Old 05-23-2012 | 01:50 PM
takin care of Business in

NICE !!!

i was thinking about the same lines but Feji scared me

i was thinking since they broke it loose and it wont tighten anymore (spinning) maybe its making that noise....well lets see how it goes today/tomorrow....
Old 05-23-2012 | 02:01 PM
Race Director

^Well ya man if you're spinning in the bushing...who knows what the noise is. Lol

If it's spinning you need new end links.
Old 05-23-2012 | 02:13 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Does Moog make end links for the 3G? Theyre beefier and have a nut on the backside that allows you to tighten/loosen them easily. Theyre cheaper then the Heel Toe links too.
Old 05-23-2012 | 02:14 PM

^^^ i will ask them to pop the tires off today and will get intimate with the rear of the car....lets hope this goes good
Old 05-23-2012 | 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Does Moog make end links for the 3G? Theyre beefier and have a nut on the backside that allows you to tighten/loosen them easily. Theyre cheaper then the Heel Toe links too.
Morgi....i think so...

also i think i saw some on Amazon for 40 shipped (for both sides)....

if they need replacing i might do this after the dallas trip....
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:02 PM

ok so did some searching and Azine didnt fail me...

all my questions are answered in this one thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/those-have-changed-rear-sway-bar-endlinks-850740/
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh

and I dont understand this timing BS anymore

one second at 2300rpm the ECU is at +35 and the next second same rpm its -10 and the next second the same rpm its +25
You got it right. It is BS like you said. The ecu is *always* moving the timing. It constantly jumps around, never settling at any specific timing.

With the ever, ever so slight movement of the ATP, the ecu will drastically alter the timing. As the RPM's change, the ecu alters the timing.

The ecu has a different map for each gear too. For the same conditions, the ecu gives different timing for each gear (with the 5AT).

In summary, the ecu alters the timing........ well....... whenever it damn well feels like it....... which is constantly.

I have spent countless hours trying my best to derive a formula or rule-of-thumb to capture this behavior.... to no avail. Looking at the timing under wot is somewhat helpful, but still nothing to hang your hat on (google the term ). Absolutely don't try to make sense of the timing with anything less than wot. The best way to evaluate your timing at partial throttle is seat-of-the-pants. The J32 is extremely sensitive to timing. That is, if the timing drops a little, the pulling TQ (under partial throttle) drops a lot. I have spent my whole modding career/hobby with my TL concentrating on this aspect. It is my biggest criteria in evaluating my mods. My car pulls like a freight train at 2000 rpm (see the vids). I brag because it took me 6 years to get where I am at today.

In the pic above - The blue line is the timing. Over the 52 minute commute, you can see how much it jumps around.

In the pic above - The blue line is the timing. This is a close-up. The timing never settles at any given value. Never, ever.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012 | 03:15 PM

^^^ killer post Tim....

couple places @1624 and @1694 i see the timing dips below 0 at 2200rpm, foot off the throttle and ~75mph AND 2200 rpm, foot off the throttle and ~73mph respectively....do you know how low that dips ?

i saw a similiar pattern and mine drops to ~-10deg or hoovers around -0.5deg to -2deg....

other times its all over the place in the +10deg to +50deg zone....
Old 05-23-2012 | 09:10 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

don't forget to look up from the graphs and just enjoy all the dieting and modding you've done every once in a while! LOL...

Hope you figure out the clunk, Anil.

J.
Old 05-24-2012 | 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

[quote=swoosh;13794655]i was thinking about the same lines but Feji scared me
[quote]

I have realized in AZINE I either scare people, instigate, or say the wrong things...

everyone should always do the opposite of what I say
Old 05-24-2012 | 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
don't forget to look up from the graphs and just enjoy all the dieting and modding you've done every once in a while! LOL...

Hope you figure out the clunk, Anil.

J.
Thats why am logging bro....i dont see the phone at all when i drive....

i have set the app to log the minute i start the car and email me the log the minute i turn the car off (there is a 10 minute delay i put in there coz if I ever have to get gas, and i turn the car back on, it will append to the log and not start another log).....

i do have my eyes @ coolant temp/IAT/Timing....i just check it out when at a stop light

and i hope i get that figured....i see a $30 expense coming my car LOL

Originally Posted by FCVadi
i was thinking about the same lines but Feji scared me
I have realized in AZINE I either scare people, instigate, or say the wrong things...

everyone should always do the opposite of what I say
dude....when i was a kid my dad used to tell me

"if you have a dollar in your wallet, express as if you have a dime and not as if you have 10 dollars"

and you fit the saying....you are very very knowledgeable and you dont brag or overshow it....you do your own thing and when you state something, you back it up....kinda like Inaccurate

and PS: i love your advices and the trouble you give me when i do some illegal shit LOL
Old 05-24-2012 | 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

INACCURATE: What are you guys getting with monitoring the "knock counts"?
Old 05-24-2012 | 10:34 AM
Baller of Uni

Ok I'm here Anil...what's the big deal?

heh heh jk buddy. Can't wait to see this new dash contraption in person.
CLtotheTL32 (05-26-2012)
Old 05-24-2012 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by bouncer07
INACCURATE: What are you guys getting with monitoring the "knock counts"?
bouncer I think Tim has his own installed unit....here it is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/knock-monitor-779106/

I am thinking of getting an extension to the MS3....as MS3 already monitors knock, getting a counter which counts every positive pulse and integrating it to the MS3 wont be too hard

Originally Posted by OakTre
Ok I'm here Anil...what's the big deal?

heh heh jk buddy. Can't wait to see this new dash contraption in person.
LOL....for a minute i was like

but yeah dude, i had a major set back with the dash yesterday....will update more info as i understand whats going on LOL....
Old 05-24-2012 | 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

bouncer I think Tim has his own installed unit....here it is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779106

I am thinking of getting an extension to the MS3....as MS3 already monitors knock, getting a counter which counts every positive pulse and integrating it to the MS3 wont be too hard
I was thinking of numbers and cylinders. (How many knock counts is ppl getting and on what cylinders)
Old 05-24-2012 | 02:37 PM
Safety Car

I was thinking of numbers and cylinders. (How many knock counts is ppl getting and on what cylinders)
I know that many modern cars like the EVO have the ability to count knocks and tell you on which cylinders that were knocking. But, I hadn't seen that the TL has this ability.
Old 05-24-2012 | 03:14 PM
Baller of Uni

Well hurry up n fix it dude. That way we can do pics.
Old 05-25-2012 | 11:28 AM

as Tim said i dont know if we can do that....but it would be nice to have thow

Originally Posted by OakTre
Well hurry up n fix it dude. That way we can do pics.
should be done next week bro....need to get my act straightened up LOL....
Old 05-26-2012 | 01:42 PM

REVIEW OF THE WEIGHT LOSS AND SEATS AND SHAWD MANI/TB

So recently I dropped 340 lbs of weight totaling to 590lbs...here are my fist impressions of it and impressions after a week.....

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
WOW a lot more power.....the car accelerates effortlessly !!! gears 1 and 2 are insane and i give credit to the shawd manifold/tb + weight loss....5th gear @1500rpm has the missing power....it accelerates with a slight foot on the throttle....and this credit goes to only weight loss....

the NRG seats are bloody comfy....i know cam lock is the way to go but its a lot of work and heavy, i should have gone with the click lock....

IMPRESSIONS after 180 miles of city (5 days) and 500 miles of highway (drive to Dallas)

note, I do not have my blower (fuse)....so am pretty much AC-less

City driving is fine....no problems....crack the window down and you are good to go....my city mileage went from 19-20 (with engaging VTEC etc) to 22-ish from the mods....and i give full credit to weight loss on this one....

the car feels so light....accelerates with the slightest touch of the throttle....most of the times i dont open the throttle more than 10-15%....cause i dont need to, unless i wanna hit vtec and even then i am shit scared to open the throttle on 1st....

now we drove down to Dallas on Thursday and the weather was in the 90's....was doing 80mph.....car feels very light on the highway....passing trailers on a windy day can be a little scary....need both hands on the wheel....AC-less was a BITCH.....yes......

cant crack down the windows doing 80....i keep the rear window a little low (2 inches) and it provides me ample air, but this time around it was enough....7 hours in an AC less car was a PAIN....

the seats were very very comfy....i dont mind another long drive in them seats but cant imagine without having AC or a dryer hose blowing air inside....i might come up with something.....

the racing harness was awesome too....but only for 1 hour....within an hour, i took the top 2 (of the 4) harnesses out and just had the bottom strapped in....

OVERALL:
I am pretty impressed with the seats
I have to do something about air circulation
Weight loss has helped me overall....getting great acceleration, ~22mpg ALL CITY and 32mph highway.....

IMO WHO SHOULD DO HOW MUCH WEIGHT LOSS
if you do 75% city or more - GOOOOO ALL THE WAY !!!
if you do 50% city and 50% highway - loosing upto 450lbs is a good idea....anymore is pushing it
if you do 25% city and 75% highway - loosing upto 300lbs should be awesome
75% + highway - loose only a moderate 150lbs....car will feel more planted at 80+ mph and it offers the little peace of mind....
Old 05-26-2012 | 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I have no idea how you reused your stock seat brackets, I went to install them today and don't see how you could reuse them? Mind helping me out? It might have to wait till next weekend anyhow, no one around my area sells high strength bolts.
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:25 PM
Safety Car

...was doing 80mph.....car feels very light on the highway....passing trailers on a windy day can be a little scary....need both hands on the wheel...
I agree that the lightweight car can be blown around. But, a back-breaking stiff suspension will totally transform the car. With the stiff suspension as outlined in my Diet thread, my lightweight car became super-planted to the road with zero hint of wind buffeting.

I had a PM with someone recently regarding this topic. Here is that PM -

QUESTION - with all the weight being removed from the rear of the car. as im goign 80+ mph the car would be catching air from the bottom of the car and it would LIFT the rear of the car making it unstable correct? just asking for your thoughts on that . is that what the lowered and stiff suspension is for?

MY REPLY - I did Not get the coilovers for that reason. Not in the slightest. Wind lift has never been an issue.

With my oem suspension, I have had my car up to 120 about 3 times. I take it up to 100 regularly. The car never showed any signs of lifting from the wind.

But with the coilovers, I can now go 120 and it feels like 90 before with the oem suspension. But, none of this is related to the wind causing lift. With the stiff coilovers, it is too damn easy to go 120 mph without even realizing it. Doing 120 is so smooth and stable that I can't believe that the speedometer is saying 120 mph.

I recently had a highspeed race with a modded G35 and I estimate we were doing 135 before I let off. Again, the car was super stable and felt extremely safe.

AC-less was a BITCH...
I told you so. Don't remove the AC.

the racing harness was awesome too....but only for 1 hour....within an hour, i took the top 2 (of the 4) harnesses out and just had the bottom strapped in....

i know cam lock is the way to go but its a lot of work and heavy, i should have gone with the click lock....
What exactly was the issue that caused you to remove the shoulder harness?

Cam lock is heavy?

Do you mean that the cam lock is a heavy burden (sarcasm intended)?

I love my harness. I can stayed strapped into mine all day. I suppose I am just weird. I am sorry to hear that you find your harness uncomfortable for extended usage.

if you do 75% city or more - GOOOOO ALL THE WAY !!!
if you do 50% city and 50% highway - loosing upto 450lbs is a good idea....anymore is pushing it
if you do 25% city and 75% highway - loosing upto 300lbs should be awesome
75% + highway - loose only a moderate 150lbs....car will feel more planted at 80+ mph and it offers the little peace of mind....
I am also sorry that you feel that the Diet has boundaries. For me, I love my car and I feel great with it if I am stuck in traffic jams or cruising 80+ on the freeway.
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:27 PM

No A/C? I'm no bitch, I love going with the windows down, but when it's 95 degrees and humid as balls the A/C is my best friend

Awesome progress Anil

Need moar pictures
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by callahan
I have no idea how you reused your stock seat brackets, I went to install them today and don't see how you could reuse them? Mind helping me out? It might have to wait till next weekend anyhow, no one around my area sells high strength bolts.
there is no way for me to explain it to ya....

will PM you my cell number and maybe I can explain it over the phone ???

the only STOCK bracket I used was the drivers side....

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I agree that the lightweight car can be blown around. But, a back-breaking stiff suspension will totally transform the car. With the stiff suspension as outlined in my Diet thread, my lightweight car became super-planted to the road with zero hint of wind buffeting.

I had a PM with someone recently regarding this topic. Here is that PM -

QUESTION - with all the weight being removed from the rear of the car. as im goign 80+ mph the car would be catching air from the bottom of the car and it would LIFT the rear of the car making it unstable correct? just asking for your thoughts on that . is that what the lowered and stiff suspension is for?

MY REPLY - I did Not get the coilovers for that reason. Not in the slightest. Wind lift has never been an issue.

With my oem suspension, I have had my car up to 120 about 3 times. I take it up to 100 regularly. The car never showed any signs of lifting from the wind.

But with the coilovers, I can now go 120 and it feels like 90 before with the oem suspension. But, none of this is related to the wind causing lift. With the stiff coilovers, it is too damn easy to go 120 mph without even realizing it. Doing 120 is so smooth and stable that I can't believe that the speedometer is saying 120 mph.

I recently had a highspeed race with a modded G35 and I estimate we were doing 135 before I let off. Again, the car was super stable and felt extremely safe.

I told you so. Don't remove the AC.

What exactly was the issue that caused you to remove the shoulder harness?

Cam lock is heavy?

Do you mean that the cam lock is a heavy burden (sarcasm intended)?

I love my harness. I can stayed strapped into mine all day. I suppose I am just weird. I am sorry to hear that you find your harness uncomfortable for extended usage.

I am also sorry that you feel that the Diet has boundaries. For me, I love my car and I feel great with it if I am stuck in traffic jams or cruising 80+ on the freeway.
hahaha yeah i need some stiff suspension....trying to sell my tein basics.....

the question i had is, i dont want to put tooo much $$$ into this just yet....can i just get stiffer springs and install those ? how will those help me ???

well removing the AC is not the problem....the problem is lack of air circulation....i bet the dryer hose will address that problem.....lets see what i can do....my wifey was a doll on the drive her.....didnt complain once....just said "Adjusting to the car without the AC is gonna take a while".....yes am a lucky SOB !!!

finally....it was not uncomfy at all....just wanted to be able to move around in the cabin LOL....the harness is tight so cant even reach the mirrors button .....wanted to kinda slumber and hence took the harness out....

i guess I sad the diet has boundaries as my suspension is not stiff....maybe if i get a stiffer suspension and if the car is a lot more planted at 80+ speeds for long intervals of time, i will rephrase my opinion....

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
No A/C? I'm no bitch, I love going with the windows down, but when it's 95 degrees and humid as balls the A/C is my best friend

Awesome progress Anil

Need moar pictures
hahhha yeah Ty....humidity killed it....and Oklahoma is moist !!!

and here is a quick teaser pix....(a D60 fell in my lap for the day).....

Old 05-26-2012 | 09:53 PM
Race Director

swoosh (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:54 PM

I hope you are -in on the pic and not D60
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:56 PM
Safety Car

Killer Pic
swoosh (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:57 PM

Nice shot! I loved my D60.

When are the new shoes going on? You know you want them.
swoosh (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012 | 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

there is no way for me to explain it to ya....
will PM you my cell number and maybe I can explain it over the phone ???
the only STOCK bracket I used was the drivers side....
sounds good, I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2012 | 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Killer Pic
Thank you sir....

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Nice shot! I loved my D60.

When are the new shoes going on? You know you want them.

need to sell my current set and coilovers for new set + coilovers....

i really want them rpf's....but got my eyes set on this 17x9 - 10lb rims....they come with a 2 year warranty as well

Originally Posted by callahan
sounds good, I'll give you a call tomorrow.
here let me post my number here LOL

Two01-Nine36-One832
Old 05-26-2012 | 10:22 PM

Everyone should prank call Anil now that we have his number
civicdrivr (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012 | 10:24 PM

like i prank text you ???

but yeah prank text are cool....i dont have enough minutes
Old 05-26-2012 | 10:43 PM
Safety Car

can i just get stiffer springs and install those ? how will those help me ???
I think that springs will Not help. You want excessive damping. Stiffer springs on your current suspension would probably be worse. Stiffer springs will subtract away from the damping that you currently have. You want as much damping as possible and stiffer springs will take some of your damping away.

I could be wrong, just basing the following on my logic.

The secret to the stiff suspension is the extreme damping. The extreme damping is what prevents the car from moving around. Whereas, stiff springs will still allow the car to freely move in the upward direction. But with extreme damping, nothing gonna move nowhere.

At first when I got my coilovers, I was bummed that the 12kg were too soft and I wished that I had got the 14kg springs. But after playing around with the outer edges of the damping adjustment and putting more thought into the subject (including some googling of course), I realized the I prefer the 12kg spring so that I can get as much excessive damping as possible. I learned that the damping was the cat's meow in my world.

But, I want you to think hard about following my advice. You seem to be having adverse reactions to some aspects of the diet. Going with my beloved suspension philosophy may be a step in the wrong direction for you. Are you sure that you are willing to endure a stiff ass suspension that makes the car very twitchy to drive? you commented that you had to drive with both hands. What???? Really??? I ALWAYS ALWAYS drive with both hands on the steering wheel. I call it a GoKart for a reason. Have you driven a gokart? Try driving a gokart with one hand.

This suspension is killer in good ways and bad ways. Are you sure that you are willing to live with the bad parts to get the good parts? The suspension is so extreme that on many occasions I have felt my butt nearly lift from the seat as my shoulder harness pushed against my shoulders to block my upward travel out of the seat. People often will pace me on the freeway to watch my car bouncing along. This is how extreme it is. By the way, the car is not bouncing.. Not in the slightest. It just follows every ripple and contour of the road. The car never bounces, not once, and this is what I love about. Just follow the damn contour of the road. If the road makes me hit my head on the ceiling, well, that's what the harness is for.
Old 05-26-2012 | 10:54 PM
Safety Car

And, please don't ever drive your car with the harness disconnected. If you can't wear the harness as designed and intended, please re-install the oem seatbelt.

Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)
Old 05-27-2012 | 12:25 AM

^^^ makes sense....will do it right and get some coilovers....

and yes, city driving i always wear the racing harness as its supposed to....but while driving for 8 hours, i took it off to be able to reach them chips...

PS: btw i cheated on you Tim....while leaving for Allen, TX i got a full tank of gas....forgive me plz
Old 05-27-2012 | 12:25 AM

new page plzzzz

going to post some pix when we get to page 21
Old 05-27-2012 | 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Omg we need page 21!
Old 05-27-2012 | 01:16 AM
Safety Car

A man has to has his chips.
Old 05-27-2012 | 01:19 AM
Safety Car

Waiting for more pics....

Old 05-27-2012 | 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Just two more post

Quick Reply: swoosh's build thread....the HIGH PROTEIN DIET !!! (Updated Pics-Page 74-7/12/15)