supercharger by RIPP Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger by RIPP Modifications

I spoke withe the owner of RIPP Modifications in staten island, ny. He wants to know if there is any interest if he manufactors a supercharger for the 3rd gens.
Probably like a group buy. I am going to speak to him again this week for priceing and other facts if their is an interest.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

We barely get enough interest for Comptech to make a kit, Ripp is not going to get any.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TCMS
We barely get enough interest for Comptech to make a kit, Ripp is not going to get any.
we could try though
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
For the right price and quality I'm sure some folks here would be interested.....

moving to Performance
Old 12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Here are the rules for initiating a Group Buy.

It is all right for you to find out how many people will be interested in this.

You should contact the vendor and find out how many people he would need in order to establish prices and specifications.

When you reach that minimum, you can let him know and he would have to contact soopa my email at adam(at)acurazine(dot)com to make arrangements to become a vendor and post in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

That would start the ball rolling, and each interested member could visit the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum to arrange for purchase and delivery.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ron A

You should contact the vendor and find out how many people he would need in order to establish prices and specifications.

When you reach that minimum, you can let him know and he would have to contact soopa my email at adam(at)acurazine(dot)com to make arrangements to become a vendor and post in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

That would start the ball rolling, and each interested member could visit the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum to arrange for purchase and delivery.
i will take care of that after i talk to him and see if there is an interest
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I would like to see if vortech would make one for is. thay make killer power on the civic. and we would make 100whp i bet safe ona 6mt
Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Racer

i would love for ripp to make one so close to my house....hell yeah would like to see the gains first on a test car first
Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nitrotiger
I would like to see if vortech would make one for is. thay make killer power on the civic. and we would make 100whp i bet safe ona 6mt

Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Advanced

i spoke with ripp mods again and he said on average the car gets 110 whp and will cost around 5000. for another 1500 its much more worth it then the comptech ther only giving 60-65 whp. if i get interest in the group buy he will start the prototype.
they work along side vortech for their superchargers.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeyalvz04tl
i spoke with ripp mods again and he said on average the car gets 110 whp and will cost around 5000. for another 1500 its much more worth it then the comptech ther only giving 60-65 whp. if i get interest in the group buy he will start the prototype.

I'm in
Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I ordered the Comptech but for 115 I am def in.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Im in jersey when do we start!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitrotiger
What are you basing those guesses on? The Vortech style blower would provide more top end but would really lack in torque. The overall "area under the curve" will be much greater with the Eaton blower however it will lose a few horsepower at peak to the Vortech. With traction being a major issue I don't see why you guys would want 100 additional whp. Been there, done that on a 2nd Gen and it's a nightmare on the tires and clutch.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Team Owner

Already making horsepower claims without even lifting a tool out of the tool chest or getting a car into a bay?

Good luck, you'll need it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced

listen no matter what is said none is true until its built but for sure the car will add 110+ whp. i spoke again to ripp and hes gonna email more info. they would like 5 to 10 people for the group buy so if we get the interest in it will be produced. right now im just the middle man so if this gets serious ripp mods will step in and will be a direct buy.

so lets gets this interest up
also if you call vortech and asked for a supercharger they gonna send u to ripp.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:34 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron A

Thank you, we would be glad to become a site sponsor and help the general cause, once we have established this program as solid and ready to initiate. Essentially we would like to work with the forum to make this happen.

Hello guys, allow us to introduce ourselves, our company has been in business since 1994 with various parts of the aftermarket community including parts and accessories, Race Team and now for the past 6 years design and manufacturing of proprietary Supercharger kits for FWD imports, both V6 and inline four cylinder.

We currently design and sell (over 500)kits for :

• V6 Mitsubishi from 225-400whp
• Hyundai from 288-348whp
• Toyota from 180-225whp
• Dodge from 225-400whp

We are completely endorsed by Vortech Engineering and all RIPP Supercharger Drive Systems (SDS) use Vortech Superchargers exclusively.

Here is a link to our success IN THE PAST; here we are launching the Hyundai so it’s a bit bias towards the Tib (which we love).
ESPN2 Stylefest Product Spot light...
http://twoelite.com/ripp/RIPP.mpg
30 megs. right click and save as. Enjoy.

Triple CROWN domination video:
www.solo2tib.com/miscvideos/s3movie.wmv

311whp DYNO pull:
http://twoelite.com/ripp/ripps3dyno.wmv

Funk Master Flex Video Shop Profile:
http://www.rippmods.com/documents/im...exshow100k.wmv

You can also read about us in any one of the 12 articles about the SDS and it’s ease of installation and functionality. Lastly, you can call Vortech and ask about RIPP or a Acura program, we are certain they will point you in our direction.

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Already making horsepower claims without even lifting a tool out of the tool chest or getting a car into a bay?

Good luck, you'll need it.
Agreed we would also be reluctant to believe a simple post… but rest assured we have done this repeatedly, the SDS will deliver 100 to 118whp when completely installed. All SDS kits come with:

• RIPP SDS
• Vortech v5 g trim VSQ Polished
• RC Engineering Injection
• RIPP Blow off valve
• RIPP Black Box Pre-programmed electronics
• RIPP Oil feed and return lines and fittings
• Air filter
• Warranty

We will let Mike handle this for now, if there is something that needs our immediate attention Mike will bring it forward to us and will we act on it. For now we are gauging interest, should this become more serious and the group decides to invest their time and energy in us we will take the steps necessary to conform with the forums rules and regulations, as well as draw out a group buy pre-production investors contract to get this going. We are a design and engineering firm, so it will be a quick turn around to that effect. Most new SDS kits are designed, tested and brought to market in 90 days.

Generally when we design an SDS kit, we also design a full length header and go on to design supporting parts as well:

• Pistons
• Clutch
• Flywheel
• Auto trans cooler kits
• Oil catch cans
• Motor mounts

We look forward to providing you with our services.

Respectfully,

RIPPMODS

RIPP Modification llc
148 Lynhurst Ave
Staten Island NY 10305
718-442-4723 main
www.rippmods.com
Old 12-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Are you aware of the two secondary catalysts located in the exhaust manifolds of the J32A3? That poses a problem in creating a full length header(s) design on this car. It could be accomplished but the O2 sensors would need to be tricked (not entirely complicated).

How much boost are you expecting to create?

Have you taken a look at the ECU yet? Comptech, whom is normally extremely familiar with the inner workings of Honda/Acura components, needed the assistance of Honda and Hondata (from what I have been told) in order to sucessfully manage the ECU.

Since you plan on using RC injectors I'm assuming your ECU modifications will handle pulse width. Additionally will you include an adapter for the injector clips or will new clips be included that will need to be welded in? Are you aware that RC injectors do not fit the fuel rail of the J-Series motor without modification to the fuel rail (i.e., boring out the rails with a dremel)?

Target price?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
9th Gear

Are you aware of the two secondary catalysts located in the exhaust manifolds of the J32A3? That poses a problem in creating a full length header(s) design on this car. It could be accomplished but the O2 sensors would need to be tricked (not entirely complicated).

How much boost are you expecting to create?

Have you taken a look at the ECU yet? Comptech, whom is normally extremely familiar with the inner workings of Honda/Acura components, needed the assistance of Honda and Hondata (from what I have been told) in order to sucessfully manage the ECU.

Since you plan on using RC injectors I'm assuming your ECU modifications will handle pulse width. Additionally will you include an adapter for the injector clips or will new clips be included that will need to be welded in? Are you aware that RC injectors do not fit the fuel rail of the J-Series motor without modification to the fuel rail (i.e., boring out the rails with a dremel)?

Target price?
Thank you that’s an abundance of info from your perspective. No we were not aware of any of those issues, but that doesn’t mean it would change our perspective, to us its part of our job to figure that out.

All the V6 Headers require a relocation of O2’s, our headers include a steel high flow cat and relocation harnesses.

Our electronics handle Analog and digital signal, (we cant speak for Comptech) but we have yet to come across an MAP or MAS we cannot control. Our electronics work with the ECU to make the SDS a normal run condition, trying not to trip CEL (to be determined)

Lastly, we use a supplemental injection system, there will be no need to cut weld or modify anything stock

RIPPMODS
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Any chance this is worthwhile on my 5AT?
Could you throw in an extra set of front tires until we get used to the extra ponies?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Thank you that’s an abundance of info from your perspective. No we were not aware of any of those issues, but that doesn’t mean it would change our perspective, to us its part of our job to figure that out.

All the V6 Headers require a relocation of O2’s, our headers include a steel high flow cat and relocation harnesses.

Our electronics handle Analog and digital signal, (we cant speak for Comptech) but we have yet to come across an MAP or MAS we cannot control. Our electronics work with the ECU to make the SDS a normal run condition, trying not to trip CEL (to be determined)

Lastly, we use a supplemental injection system, there will be no need to cut weld or modify anything stock

RIPPMODS

As for the headers, there is more than just the one primary cat. Incorporated into each exhaust manifold (front and rear) there is an additional cat with an O2 sensor (3 cats total) This is why no other manufacturer (i.e., Comptech) has provided headers for this car.

Clamping the MAP voltage is easy but getting the additional fuel to handle the increase in manifold pressure is the tricky part. Something that will require either

A) additional injectors that dump directly into the manifold (as you've stated you are using)
or
B) a increase in static fuel pressure

Experience with these motors will show that supplemental injection alone may not be enough to provide reliable air/fuel mixture.

For instance: A turbo charged J32 was running approximately 6psi of boost through a GT35R. In addition to an RC 750cc 7th injector, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator was required to increase static pressure and raise the fuel pressure to roughly 80psi at full boost.

I'm sure you'll find this all out in the R&D process.

What boost numbers are you estimating? The Vortech unit you use has a considerably higher maximum cfm value than the Eaton M62 used in the kit already available (roughly 800 v 420)

As for ignition timing you should be able to rely on the stock ECU to retard timing based on the increase in IAT since the sensor is located past the throttle body (and the compressor). This works very well and is a very simple solution for the Eaton. However, the Vortech has a considerably lower increase in heat produced so the IAT may not rise enough for the ECU to retard timing sufficiently to prevent knock; especially given the high compression ratio (11.0:1) of the J32A3.

Target price for the kit?

Are you really planning on an upgraded clutch and flywheel? That could end up being extremely successful. Especially if you offered a package for the 2nd Generation CL-S 6-speed. Currently there is lightweight flywheel and clutch package offered but the clutch is no stronger than the stock unit and the stock pressure plate is reused. The stock pressure plate is the true weak link in the 6-speed drive train. And upgraded pressure plate would really benefit the high horsepower 2nd Generation CL (and soon to be 3rd Gen TL guys). The only difference in the transmissions from the 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen is the pressure plate.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

listen no matter what is said none is true until its built but for sure the car will add 110+ whp. i spoke again to ripp and hes gonna email more info. they would like 5 to 10 people for the group buy so if we get the interest in it will be produced. right now im just the middle man so if this gets serious ripp mods will step in and will be a direct buy.

so lets gets this interest up
also if you call vortech and asked for a supercharger they gonna send u to ripp.

In no way am I saying 'RIPP' isn't a qualified shop. I'm not experienced with the shop but it is foolish IMO to make horsepower gain claims without even doing research first to see what is involved in accomplishing those goals for this application. Specifically in regards to ECU control. A simple voltage clamp isn't going to work. Hopefully with the more efficient Vortech blower higher horsepower numbers can be achieved with less boost than the Eaton.

However, the characteristics of the Eaton worked to the system's simplicity in respects to handling ignition retard; something that will be critical in this set up. The great increase in IAT (up to the neighborhood of 180-200F) allowed for the ECU to retard ignition timing without the need for any additional modifications or alterations to the ECU. With the Vortech unit you don't have as great of a rise in temperature so you need to come up with a way to control ignition timing. Which will add to the R&D time and cost.

People were complaining about the 'high' cost of Comptech's kit. Comptech didn't need to do nearly as much R&D as RIPP will because Comptech already had knowledge of the J-Series motor and had a supercharger kit available for it in similar applications. Only modifications to the existing kit were required. The vast majority of Comptech's R&D was spent on their ACM unit to control pulse width, VTEC change over, MAP signal, among other things. RIPP doesn't have that to their advantage.

I'm excised to see the new potential here but an estimate of 90 days to completion and 100-120whp make me skeptical.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Additionally...

Guys who are interested in 100+whp increases need to be aware that those power levels make it nearly impossible to go WOT in 1st gear; especially for the manual transmission guys who will also have trouble in 2nd. I've done it before in both an automatic and a manual CL-S. 295whp in the first and 320whp in the second (on stock exhaust). The automatic had better traction than the manual by far but with the strength issues on the automatic transmission it was only a matter of time before the clutch packs wore out.

With the manual car I ended up un-installing the blower and selling it because it was just too much power for this platform. 1st and 2nd gears were nothing but tire smoke and I have great tires installed on the car. It wasn't until 40mph that you could nail it without getting wheel spin. And you'll have to be easy shifting into 2nd and third or you'll smoke the clutch. I have multiple videos showing this. At the track I needed to be lazy with the shifting in order to maintain traction and avoid clutch damage. This resulted in slower than expected ET's and trap speeds. Substantially slower than my automatic car that made less power.

If the TL was available with the SH-AWD system in the RL I'd be all over it and all over a 100whp increase but right now with the current drive train I just want you all to be aware of what to expect.

RIPP, get that pressure plate and clutch made and maybe you'll make a customer out of me.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Is this gonna be a Smog legal here in Cali?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

CARB certification took Comptech nearly 6 months. If the RIPP kit were to carry CARB certification it would most definitely take longer and cost more. However, since RIPP will rely on supplemental injection I don't see how they will be able to get CARB approved.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
9th Gear

We will address these issues/questions at a later time.

RIPPMODS
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by PyroPaul
Any chance this is worthwhile on my 5AT?
Could you throw in an extra set of front tires until we get used to the extra ponies?

As for the headers, there is more than just the one primary cat. Incorporated into each exhaust manifold (front and rear) there is an additional cat with an O2 sensor (3 cats total) This is why no other manufacturer (i.e., Comptech) has provided headers for this car.

Clamping the MAP voltage is easy but getting the additional fuel to handle the increase in manifold pressure is the tricky part. Something that will require either

A) additional injectors that dump directly into the manifold (as you've stated you are using)
or
B) a increase in static fuel pressure

Experience with these motors will show that supplemental injection alone may not be enough to provide reliable air/fuel mixture.

For instance: A turbo charged J32 was running approximately 6psi of boost through a GT35R. In addition to an RC 750cc 7th injector, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator was required to increase static pressure and raise the fuel pressure to roughly 80psi at full boost.

I'm sure you'll find this all out in the R&D process.

What boost numbers are you estimating? The Vortech unit you use has a considerably higher maximum cfm value than the Eaton M62 used in the kit already available (roughly 800 v 420)

As for ignition timing you should be able to rely on the stock ECU to retard timing based on the increase in IAT since the sensor is located past the throttle body (and the compressor). This works very well and is a very simple solution for the Eaton. However, the Vortech has a considerably lower increase in heat produced so the IAT may not rise enough for the ECU to retard timing sufficiently to prevent knock; especially given the high compression ratio (11.0:1) of the J32A3.

Target price for the kit?

Are you really planning on an upgraded clutch and flywheel? That could end up being extremely successful. Especially if you offered a package for the 2nd Generation CL-S 6-speed. Currently there is lightweight flywheel and clutch package offered but the clutch is no stronger than the stock unit and the stock pressure plate is reused. The stock pressure plate is the true weak link in the 6-speed drive train. And upgraded pressure plate would really benefit the high horsepower 2nd Generation CL (and soon to be 3rd Gen TL guys). The only difference in the transmissions from the 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen is the pressure plate.
In no way am I saying 'RIPP' isn't a qualified shop. I'm not experienced with the shop but it is foolish IMO to make horsepower gain claims without even doing research first to see what is involved in accomplishing those goals for this application. Specifically in regards to ECU control. A simple voltage clamp isn't going to work. Hopefully with the more efficient Vortech blower higher horsepower numbers can be achieved with less boost than the Eaton.

However, the characteristics of the Eaton worked to the system's simplicity in respects to handling ignition retard; something that will be critical in this set up. The great increase in IAT (up to the neighborhood of 180-200F) allowed for the ECU to retard ignition timing without the need for any additional modifications or alterations to the ECU. With the Vortech unit you don't have as great of a rise in temperature so you need to come up with a way to control ignition timing. Which will add to the R&D time and cost.

People were complaining about the 'high' cost of Comptech's kit. Comptech didn't need to do nearly as much R&D as RIPP will because Comptech already had knowledge of the J-Series motor and had a supercharger kit available for it in similar applications. Only modifications to the existing kit were required. The vast majority of Comptech's R&D was spent on their ACM unit to control pulse width, VTEC change over, MAP signal, among other things. RIPP doesn't have that to their advantage.

I'm excised to see the new potential here but an estimate of 90 days to completion and 100-120whp make me skeptical.

There are several issues here that need addressing all at once, and we appreciate you brining thm to the table early on. We feel it’s important that these be hashed out early so the community knows that we are capable of engineering a kit for them.

Headers:
we are currently R&Ding a 2006 Civic EX 1.8 SOHC, which uses the same design manifold and down pipe. In all fairness to us, since we have only addressed the community to gauge interest, we can only presume that the same style manifold is being used in your set up. In the event that RIPP does design a “header” for the car it will more likely be called a down pipe. In that case we will relocated the post O2’s and aft O2’s further down the down pipe in order to avoid “tricking” anything. Our concept is rather simple, leave as much of the car as stock as possible, without intercepting signals that may work against us.

Fuel and timing:
Our electronics support both digital and analog signal, there for we will not have to rely on the ECU to retard timing, we are familiar with the technology being used in the Civic, and again we can only presume the same technology is being incorperated in the Acura, should that be the case, then essentially the timing can be mapped either though the crank sensor or by re-mapping the voltage at the intake manifold sensor. To do this our Black Box includes a 3bar map sensor, as boost increases we can re-map the timing curve only under boosted conditions. Furthermore our electronics support up to eight additional injectors should it be needed but as in the case with our 3.0liter Mitsu set up we use two 650cc supplemental injectors with a larger fuel pump and rising rate FPR. Together with the stock injectors that will supply enough fuel for 400whp, so again we feel this should not be a problem.

Please keep in mind that the Turbo will always require more fuel that a Supercharger, so running an 80psi FPR IS NOT LIKLEY IN OUR SET UP. We are looking for usable drivable power band; we have been very successful in doing this in our other programs with 45-psi rail pressure. Further more the Violent boost curve the roots style SC brings needs a lot more tuning than the gentle and progressive boost curve the Vortech supplies. Making the tuning al ot more predictable and the power band more dynamic. Therefore, while your experiences deserve merit, they are something to keep in mind but not presumed to be the same should we outfit this plate form with a Vortech V5.

Boost:
4-8psi Nominal boost settings, again to be tested, Since the Vortech delivers more CFM per pound of boost, it’s likely we make more HP under all conditions producing conditions Similar to a turbo without the consequences of heat and boost creep.

Clutch:
We currently manufacture both flywheels and pressure plates for the Hyundai and Mitsu program, it’s just a matter of investing into this program, we have resources both in the continental US and abroad. Should this community elect our services we should be able to make this happen.

Advantage and disadvantages:
Agreed, We have not started to R&D a kit, but the same was said for the Mitsu MIVEC (their version of VTEC) and RIPP not only gained control of the mapping it also out powered the competions turbo kit by 21whp (no small accomplishment). With any new system, we approach it with an open mind, we have access to electronics engineers from different parts of the industry, and so far, our electronics have been used on:

98-06 Mitsu
91-06 Honda
03-05 Hyundai
91-06 Ford
96-05 Porsche
03-05 Mini (BMW)

We are not using a simple map clamp, our electronics incorporate a processor, which allow us to use various stock signals to manipulate the tune. Nevertheless, you’re right all of this is just speculation until proven. What we ask is for the opportunity to present our program fairly.

Pricing:
$3999.95 to 4449.95 Complete both on kits

Additionally...

Guys who are interested in 100+whp increases need to be aware that those power levels make it nearly impossible to go WOT in 1st gear; especially for the manual transmission guys who will also have trouble in 2nd. I've done it before in both an automatic and a manual CL-S. 295whp in the first and 320whp in the second (on stock exhaust). The automatic had better traction than the manual by far but with the strength issues on the automatic transmission it was only a matter of time before the clutch packs wore out.

With the manual car I ended up un-installing the blower and selling it because it was just too much power for this platform. 1st and 2nd gears were nothing but tire smoke and I have great tires installed on the car. It wasn't until 40mph that you could nail it without getting wheel spin. And you'll have to be easy shifting into 2nd and third or you'll smoke the clutch. I have multiple videos showing this. At the track I needed to be lazy with the shifting in order to maintain traction and avoid clutch damage. This resulted in slower than expected ET's and trap speeds. Substantially slower than my automatic car that made less power.

If the TL was available with the SH-AWD system in the RL I'd be all over it and all over a 100whp increase but right now with the current drive train I just want you all to be aware of what to expect.

RIPP, get that pressure plate and clutch made and maybe you'll make a customer out of me.
Understood….and appreciated, but as you mentioned earlier in one of your posts, the Vortech unit has completely different dynamics than a roots style charger, the same was said when we approached the Tib community (a roots style kit dominated that platform) and now RIPP has the most powerful stock block 2.7 V6 FWD cars in 4 continents, including S. Korea. In all fairness, the Roots blower comes on nearly 100% efficiency right off idle, whereas the Vortech will build a solid boost curve from 2500 RPM to red line, making the engine feel larger rather than boosted. Therefore, the power comes on in relation to rpm rather than a foreign agent. Making the Vortech a safer boosted condition to begin with, even though the Vortech’s maximum CFM is huge we don’t use nearly as much energy to spin it, nor do we need as much boost.

To understand this you need to understand how the unit works: Volumetric efficiency (VE) over RPM = Psi, so the more efficient your engine the easier it is for the blower to build a boost curve. For example, the Tiburon requires less RPM than the Mitsu V6 because it moves more air, or rather its more efficient, and the LANCER 4cyl Mivec equipped engine requires even less SC RPM because it’s even more efficient than the other two engines. I think it is safe to say the Acura’s power plant it superior to both those power plants, in terms of efficiency.

Originally Posted by zhalvaje
Is this gonna be a Smog legal here in Cali?
CARB certification took Comptech nearly 6 months. If the RIPP kit were to carry CARB certification it would most definitely take longer and cost more. However, since RIPP will rely on supplemental injection I don't see how they will be able to get CARB approved.
Please, do not answer questions like this for us, we can gladly provide the info, but it is appreciated. In fact because it is a supplemental system will make it that much easier to get CARB certification. The facts are the more you leave stock or OEM, the more likely it meets CARB requirements. Since we are both SEMA and Sport Compact Car Council members, we have access the CARB board to get this information. So please if you are not formally educated in the matter do not pass misleading information (we do not want to challenge you especially since you carry an intimidating 18000 posts). SEMA, SCCC and Vortech want more CARB legal kits so there is support in doing this.

RIPP currently does not offer any smog legal kits at all, but with the latest version of our Black Box (fuel and timing controller); we are now looking into making CARB legal systems. The first of those kits may be the Lancer Ralliart program, should this program be as successful it is possible to get a CARB certification. The Vortech unit alone is already CARB legal, the technology we are utilizing conforms to the CARB requirements. It is not SO far fetch that the Acura kit could meet the requirements, in other words yes but not right now, its to soon to tell.

RIPPMODS
Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the detailed reply. I wasn't trying to step on your toes on the CARB issue and being on the East coast CARB certification has no bearing on any purchases I make. However I was under the impression that changing injectors or adding supplimental injector wouldn't allow for that.

However, now I know that isn't the case with supplimental injection. Thanks

I truly am looking forward to see how this progresses. It would be very easy to adapt a system from the 3rd Gen to the 2nd Gen which is more 'mod-friendly.'
Old 12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the detailed reply. I wasn't trying to step on your toes on the CARB issue and being on the East coast CARB certification has no bearing on any purchases I make. However I was under the impression that changing injectors or adding supplimental injector wouldn't allow for that.

However, now I know that isn't the case with supplimental injection. Thanks

I truly am looking forward to see how this progresses. It would be very easy to adapt a system from the 3rd Gen to the 2nd Gen which is more 'mod-friendly.'
No problem, we are waiting for a reply from the Admins to see if this can be set up, there are several volunteers who stepped up in the tri state area for an R&D car so this has the potential to happen.

It would be smart to start a potential list of perspective owners, should we start another thread with more detail?

RIPPMODS
Old 12-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds nice. Why not just use a 2bar map sensor since most of these guys won't go over 10 psi?

I'm running a custom YSi kit on my 98 Formula, 17-21psi... 754rwhp thru a T400.... 9.4@144mph.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
No problem, we are waiting for a reply from the Admins to see if this can be set up, there are several volunteers who stepped up in the tri state area for an R&D car so this has the potential to happen.

It would be smart to start a potential list of perspective owners, should we start another thread with more detail?

RIPPMODS
Let's wait until I forward your last OM to soopa and you two can get together on this. He has been moving into a new house this week so his stuff is scattered all over the place, which is the reason for the delay in hooking you up with him.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced

moderator can u please sticky this so people see it and we create interest
Old 01-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

moderator can u please sticky this so people see it and we create interest
We are still waiting to finalize negotiations with RIPPMODS, but as long as the thread is active it will get more interest this way.

We can consider a sticky when we see how the negotiations work out.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

any news from ripp about the s/c?? my friend had their blower on hit 2000 eclipse and he loved it , he never had a problem with it.I would take their s/c over the CT anyday.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by b15turbo
I would take their s/c over the CT anyday.
I find it comical that the first pencil hasn't even been lifted to draft a design on this kit and people make such bold claims like this.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

I find it comical that the first pencil hasn't even been lifted to draft a design on this kit and people make such bold claims like this.
im not saying just about this kit, im saying about ripp s/c kits period, and i would like to get more power out of it then just 65hp and pay $4,000. I am new to acurazine and new to TL but trust me i would not pay for $4,000 for only 65whp and plus the jerking issue with it, now i don’t know if its the blower making it or the car it self but if someone else comes out with a kit and its not their, i think that CT should fix this problem. I been reading a little about it and i read that some of the jerking is caused my staying in the closed loop longer, what does that have to do with anything at all, its very very hard to tune cars that have turbos or s/c in closed loop period, only the cars that go from n/a to f/i. the only way you can fix that is get stand alone system=Big money. But closed loop would never cause it to jerk. After all my years putting turbo kits on cars i have never heard of issue like that where the closed loop causes the trany to jerk. I just looked at the air/fuel numbers and they look great their is no way those air/fuel number would cause anything like this.they would cause something when they are all over the dyno graph.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

im not saying just about this kit, im saying about ripp s/c kits period, and i would like to get more power out of it then just 65hp and pay $4,000. I am new to acurazine and new to TL but trust me i would not pay for $4,000 for only 65whp and plus the jerking issue with it, now i don’t know if its the blower making it or the car it self but if someone else comes out with a kit and its not their, i think that CT should fix this problem. I been reading a little about it and i read that some of the jerking is caused my staying in the closed loop longer, what does that have to do with anything at all, its very very hard to tune cars that have turbos or s/c in closed loop period, only the cars that go from n/a to f/i. the only way you can fix that is get stand alone system=Big money. But closed loop would never cause it to jerk. After all my years putting turbo kits on cars i have never heard of issue like that where the closed loop causes the trany to jerk. I just looked at the air/fuel numbers and they look great their is no way those air/fuel number would cause anything like this.they would cause something when they are all over the dyno graph.

My guess on the "jerking issue" is it's related to ignition timing but that's for another thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
SNS Performance

I'm still trying to find out what happened to the Ripp Modds S?C that was suppose to come out for the Sentra Spec-V? Not trying to start anything but like mrsteve said lets wait until we see some progress before we get our hopes up.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sounds nice. Why not just use a 2bar map sensor since most of these guys won't go over 10 psi?

I'm running a custom YSi kit on my 98 Formula, 17-21psi... 754rwhp thru a T400.... 9.4@144mph.
The 2 bar will also work, so it’s indifferent to us, we can provide either or.

any news from ripp about the s/c?? my friend had their blower on hit 2000 eclipse and he loved it , he never had a problem with it.I would take their s/c over the CT anyday.
That’s our first kit, which we designed over 5 years ago, since then we have matured in our research and design, as well as our manufacturing. The new systems are completely different from the old stuff, in fact our latest kit the Mitsubishi RALLIART runs in a near 100% check engine free environment (the down pipe sets off a O2 code), and it runs like stock. In fact under normal driving conditions you wouldn’t even know it’s modified, but once you call the boost up it’s a completely different animal, the engine feels twice as big, the two proto typer;s are completely ecstatic over it, so we understand the anxiousness.

Under stood and agreed, but you can’t help getting excited over it, given the fact that we are the manufactures. If this program takes shape we will start with the electronics, because as you pointed out (and we agree) control is the most important factor, boost is nothing with out control.

Originally Posted by SNS Performance
I'm still trying to find out what happened to the Ripp Modds S?C that was suppose to come out for the Sentra Spec-V? Not trying to start anything but like mrsteve said lets wait until we see some progress before we get our hopes up.
We agree, but some circumstances were out of our direct control:

The Spec V program was a shame; we were contacted through a third party who wanted to do the “legwork” on line. They unfortunately lost control or were not capable of seeing it through, and we had no time to pick it up, so it went south. We still feel that platform would have benefited greatly from our program.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Team Owner

^ I'm confident if you guys go through with this you'll do it right (safe/reliable).

Good luck

Quick Reply: supercharger by RIPP Modifications