supercharger by RIPP Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when will we know something about it? is it in the works now or still just talking about making one? I just want to know if i should wait for it or not.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by b15turbo
when will we know something about it? is it in the works now or still just talking about making one? I just want to know if i should wait for it or not.
Im with you b15turbo, I want to know more about both superchargers, from what I hear they are two different types of blowers. 1. Centrifugal (vortech) like this one "I think", is used more. Comptech uses an external compression in their boost a roots or screw-type supercharger (Whipple, Kenne Bell, Jackson Racing, Eaton) from what I hear they are not used as much as the vortech internal compression superchargers. I am just going to wait to hear more about both and see what numbers RIPP gets. I am leaning towards RIPP now, with more peoples opinions that know and have experience with superchargers like Mr.Steve and others will help me in my final decision
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
RIPPMODS I want to thank you for your professionalism and for all your replies with a lot of great info. You guys really seem to know your stuff and I know I would be interested in one of your systems.

But living here in San Diego I would hope that you guys could make it smog legal. I know that it would be a big selling point for me and anyone else here in the sunny state.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Pro

I second that! Donte99TL is right about smog being my 'selling point'.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
321 whp SAE

do you guys even know for sure if they're gonna make it? doesn't sound to me like it's 100%
Old 01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by b15turbo
Originally Posted by bklynpanman
do you guys even know for sure if they're gonna make it? doesn't sound to me like it's 100%
Well first consider this, there is a process to making this happen, (this is not need for speed) were you press a button and it’s all done . We first have to speak to the Admin’s to get their approval to do move forward, since this is a new program and we are not advertising it, this and possibly one other Honda/Acura forum will be the only ones to know we are even working on this (BESIDES OUR WEBSITE). However, as of now we have secured a car in New Jersey that would be interested in the program and allow us to run a few tests, we haven’t yet but we can and will. After which we will start a pre-production list of seriously interested parties regarding the first run of SDS units, and move on as R&D takes its progressive course, all the while updating the boards with our progress.

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Im with you b15turbo, I want to know more about both superchargers, from what I hear they are two different types of blowers. 1. Centrifugal (vortech) like this one "I think", is used more. Comptech uses an external compression in their boost a roots or screw-type supercharger (Whipple, Kenne Bell, Jackson Racing, Eaton) from what I hear they are not used as much as the vortech internal compression superchargers. I am just going to wait to hear more about both and see what numbers RIPP gets. I am leaning towards RIPP now, with more peoples opinions that know and have experience with superchargers like Mr.Steve and others will help me in my final decision
Well I’ve had this conversation about a million times, and I would love to provide charts and explain in detail the difference, but I know this debate will be had about a million times more once we start the R&D process.

The short of it:
Vortech has re-engineerd the centrifugal SC and streamlined it’s operation to build a naturally progressive boost curve that increases as the engine build RPM. As the engine speed increases the Vortech becomes less of a crank load and more of a power addes because the engine is producing more CFM. The condition is a perfect match to the VTEC found in your cars, as proven by the simpler and “dumber” MIVEC powered Mitsubishi. What we leanred there is an engine with variable cam, and valve timing needs less blower RPM to produce more boost. By way of example the MIVEC car only needs 20000 rpm to produce 8psi, were as the none MIVEC car needs 32000, that’s a considerable amount of crank HP loss over the entire RPM band.

The roots type charger used by the competition is much faster to boost off the line but (creating the wheel spin situation Mr. Steve pointed out earlier in the thread) then becomes more of a load at higher RPM’s actually creating a power loss, and counter productive in these platforms. Therefore, whiles it’s a great set up on most low revving engines the Vortech will be a much better match or rather a more Dynamic boost curve to the technology and engine size found in your cars.

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
RIPPMODS I want to thank you for your professionalism and for all your replies with a lot of great info. You guys really seem to know your stuff and I know I would be interested in one of your systems.

But living here in San Diego I would hope that you guys could make it smog legal. I know that it would be a big selling point for me and anyone else here in the sunny state.
Originally Posted by JOES05tl
I second that! Donte99TL is right about smog being my 'selling point'.
No problem, that’s what I’m here for, if you have any question or feel I haven’t explained something correctly, please fell free to ask.

Well, like we said before first things first;
R&D,
Proto type,
Pre-production investors,
Production run,

And if everything we say goes as plans CARB, but that is still a ways away.

However, take into consideration that the 2006 program now only incorporates a secondary set of injectors and an inline fuel pump, which does not affect the CARB set up in the car right now. Also the VortechV5 already meets CARB certification from Vortech, so there is a good possibility that this kit may come out CARB legal right out of the box, but that depends on how much control we have of the stock ECU through our Black Box program, we hope enough to get it to pass right away

Ross
RIPPMODS
Old 01-12-2006, 04:28 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ripp...I gotta give it to ya! Impressive responses and seem very credible. The big difference here.....somehow you are able to "keep us in the loop" so to speak...when Comptech does not even lift a finger to respond in many cases. The comptech unit seems to have issues with this jerking....that those that have already poped their load on comptechs wallet defend as "no big deal" - but it seems a mistake for a company to release something that has issues like this SC seems to. This is something I truely did not expect from Comptech at all given the usual quality involved in CT parts. Ripp....I am defininately lookin at ya! I am in the market for such and animal and want to invest where I can trust the company to work for me and solve the problems involved before they release, something honestly....CT has failed to do at this point....and I would go as far as to say have failed their existing SC customers(even though they all seem happy as shit...irregardless of what issues exist) telling them they "might reflash ect. This is something they should be all over like stink on a pig and has really undermined my confidence somewhat. They should be all over this board telling about what is what (like you have already done to what point you can in your process) or at a minimum should be all over these existing SC cases to fix em in order to restore confidence in their abilities to complete the task. If CT is reading this...shame on you guys! You need to be more open like this guy is and let us know what you are doing to fix probs....you I am sure I am not the only guy that is gonna be looking around other places! BIG KUDOS TO RIPP! Now if you can make it with the success and accuracy that you speak....I would be definately worth considering! Thanks for your complete honestly and for being interested in our cause! And BTW......WELCOME!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Ripp...I gotta give it to ya! Impressive responses and seem very credible. The big difference here.....somehow you are able to "keep us in the loop" so to speak...when Comptech does not even lift a finger to respond in many cases. The comptech unit seems to have issues with this jerking....that those that have already poped their load on comptechs wallet defend as "no big deal" - but it seems a mistake for a company to release something that has issues like this SC seems to. This is something I truely did not expect from Comptech at all given the usual quality involved in CT parts. Ripp....I am defininately lookin at ya! I am in the market for such and animal and want to invest where I can trust the company to work for me and solve the problems involved before they release, something honestly....CT has failed to do at this point....and I would go as far as to say have failed their existing SC customers(even though they all seem happy as shit...irregardless of what issues exist) telling them they "might reflash ect. This is something they should be all over like stink on a pig and has really undermined my confidence somewhat. They should be all over this board telling about what is what (like you have already done to what point you can in your process) or at a minimum should be all over these existing SC cases to fix em in order to restore confidence in their abilities to complete the task. If CT is reading this...shame on you guys! You need to be more open like this guy is and let us know what you are doing to fix probs....you I am sure I am not the only guy that is gonna be looking around other places! BIG KUDOS TO RIPP! Now if you can make it with the success and accuracy that you speak....I would be definately worth considering! Thanks for your complete honestly and for being interested in our cause! And BTW......WELCOME!
I second everything said here. Thanks for putting it so clearly
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey you guys got my attention!

At this point I will change my decision on purchasing other "like" products in hopes of obtaining one of yours, if when released meets the expectations set.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
321 whp SAE

are you on ripp's payroll??
Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
321 whp SAE

i just wrote to comptech, paraphrasing many people's posts regarding their concerns.. let's see how fast and what kind of reply i get..
Old 01-12-2006, 05:02 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

are you on ripp's payroll??
No...just a prospective consumer! I havent bought my SC from CT yet....kind of been waiting for a fix that hasnt come as of yet nor seem to have even been addressed beyond lip service. If these guys can R&D and get a SC ready in 90 days or so...how is it that CT cant get their stuff together this good and be as responsive. It begs the question....

I have not made my mind up yet what to do....but I can assure you that I will go with the company that gets it right...not one that hands out empty promises and delivers not one word of concrete evidence other than "might". This guy also seems to be willing to continue the development to other products too....you see comptech doing this? If so....it would be about 4 years from now before they got it out to public given their track record. Think about it...how friggin long have you heard about an icebox for the TL...still not there? (not that I am interested) And they are done with the sc and now talking about it....but...are they really done with the sc? Nope...still work there they did not do and to date....have not done.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
321 whp SAE

No...just a prospective consumer! I havent bought my SC from CT yet....kind of been waiting for a fix that hasnt come as of yet nor seem to have even been addressed beyond lip service. If these guys can R&D and get a SC ready in 90 days or so...how is it that CT cant get their stuff together this good and be as responsive. It begs the question....

I have not made my mind up yet what to do....but I can assure you that I will go with the company that gets it right...not one that hands out empty promises and delivers not one word of concrete evidence other than "might". This guy also seems to be willing to continue the development to other products too....you see comptech doing this? If so....it would be about 4 years from now before they got it out to public given their track record. Think about it...how friggin long have you heard about an icebox for the TL...still not there? (not that I am interested) And they are done with the sc and now talking about it....but...are they really done with the sc? Nope...still work there they did not do and to date....have not done.
it was a yes or no question.. haha, Yeah you're right.. my impatience lead me to buy the comptech supercharger. now all i can do is hope the issue isn't really an issue and "hope" there is a fix.. Somewhat like the pull and pray method. l
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

i just wrote to comptech, paraphrasing many people's posts regarding their concerns.. let's see how fast and what kind of reply i get..
Thanks.....I would be very interested in their response and speed of it. But...in the future....you might think about posting the "lets see if we can get comptech to respond now that somebody else takes interest and everybody is now talking about all their unresolved issues and their lack of response to it" in a different thread....as this is to promote the RIPP unit...not the other one. Not to mention this is a viable sponsor for our cause....

Comment on the CT unit...whatever...but promotion of their cause should really be done somewhere more appropriate in one of the million threads already going. (not slamming you buddy....we've both been working on this for quite some time now...just dont want to promote a competitor of RIPP here....I want to stress that it is not meant in derrogatory manner whatsoever against you...we are all good and have been working together!)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Call Comptech... you'll get a much faster response.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
It's funny, I was thinking the same thing Mike was when I read thier post...I thought about saying it (as Mike did), but didn't want to sound like a tool (not that you do, at all )...still seems lame to me to say, but I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the "Impressed with RIPP" barrel...they definitely have my attention and interest.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:22 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

it was a yes or no question.. haha, Yeah you're right.. my impatience lead me to buy the comptech supercharger. now all i can do is hope the issue isn't really an issue and "hope" there is a fix.. Somewhat like the pull and pray method. l
Oh...I know exactly where you are coming from there! Could very easily have been in the same exact boat. Thought about pulling the trigger several times already....but figured if people keep doing this...they are never gonna fix it. A matter of fact...I think we were watching the same ebay auction at one point...I just didnt bid on it...and I think you got that one.

Anyway....This Ripp company seems to be very impressive from what I have read and understood here. The massive HP kind of makes you wonder what other types of upgrades would be necessary too....def a trans cooler, ect. but what else? And I do like the fact that they talk about continuing the development of other matching products to compliment.

By the way...I am in marketing/sales (sales broker).....so I tend to come off that way like I am selling sometimes even when I am not. Sales/Marketing/Promotion is my daytime career! Please excuse me for that.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Call Comptech... you'll get a much faster response.
No kidding....? Still waiting for that callback from 6 months ago about the brembo brake kit.....made me wonder if they even had the damn thing at all?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
No kidding....? Still waiting for that callback from 6 months ago about the brembo brake kit.....made me wonder if they even had the damn thing at all?

Do you still own a phone? Why haven't you called back? For such a small shop they have a ton a customers. Call back.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Do you still own a phone? Why haven't you called back? For such a small shop they have a ton a customers. Call back.
Should the consumer really have to take their time to call a supplier over and over (I did call twice...just didnt want to dog em out that bad...but since you mention it) to get an answer to a simple question...and then expect support after the fact also if needed? BTW...cant we move all this CT talk to a more appropriate thread. For gods sake...we are not paying members of this board...and the board does need viable good sponsors like this? This guy seems to be "the man" to some degree in that they are very responsive and I like what they have to say.... and the last thing we need to do is show him disrespect by posting all this stuff here. Maybe this would be better in the "Jerking" thread that is already going as we seem to be going from one thread to the other....lets keep the talk that way too.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Should the consumer really have to take their time to call a supplier over and over.
You're the salesman, you tell us...if I called up looking for whatever you sell and you were out so I left a message, would you call me back or would I have to call a few more times?

Small shop or not, we all know the answer to that question.

Mike, by the way, how did you get into selling what you're selling (I saw the website)? Just curious...oh, and I love the boss' name!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

It is nice to see RIPP getting involved and keeping us informed. I am definetly getting a SC and will wait to see more from RIPP. You can definetly consider me a prospective buyer.

Thanks to RIPP for creating a more competitive market for us and a viable alternative.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
You're the salesman, you tell us...if I called up looking for whatever you sell and you were out so I left a message, would you call me back or would I have to call a few more times?

Small shop or not, we all know the answer to that question.

Mike, by the way, how did you get into selling what you're selling (I saw the website)? Just curious...oh, and I love the boss' name!
We try to call back within 24 hours min. at all times. A matter of fact...thats why I wasnt on line all day, too much to do and meetings out the wazoo!

I got into selling way back when I was 18 - training $3.85 an hour sales crews! I managed a set of quick-lube locations and I was the manager of the stores, hiring and training $3.85 and hour air filter, breather element, wiper blade, transmission and radiator services, diff services, ect. - you know...all that bullcrap they try to push on you. I made a commission on everything they/and I sold....plus salary (.40 per air filter, .20 for a breather, $2.50 for each transmission or diff service, ect.)--not to mention had to pay for the stuff they screwed up in the process! Did ok for a kid...but not much room to growth there. Left there right before a corp buyout and went to college to increase my viability in the market as I got an offer from my current employer to go to work for them - but it had a college prereq...so I got into my current career at that time...so I have been effectively selling for ---wow----I guess about 20+ years now.

Anyway...thats the story Chill_Dog. Yep...boss is cool as all get out.

Sorry for the thread jack there.....just answering a ?...

Back to the RIPP unit! Woohoo!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
321 whp SAE

Hi BklynPanMan,

I am sorry there is so much misinformation posted on your site. I hope other people/company’s out there make supercharger or turbo kits for the TL in the end the TL customer will have more choices. There is not anything wrong with the 04-06 TL Supercharger kit. The kit works great, makes great HP and TQ. Everyone that has driven a TL with a supercharger loves it. Yes, in the two years of development the kit have taken to produce we have made great advancements (from belts breaking to not making any power). Are there some small compromises in get 60 more 50 state legal horsepower? Yes, one of them is a very small surging at very low RPM but I still think most of the people that buy or own the supercharger think this is a very small price to pay. But in most part the TL kit one of our best, most complete, most developed kits we have ever offered. As for the surge problem we are aware of the issue and we do not have a fix for it. We do have some things we would like to try to help reduce or eliminate it. But that requires things like ECU reflashing or clutch type blower pulleys, or ?. All of which have never been done before by Comptech and will require a lot of development/testing. I think we have been very accessible by email and phone. Sorry, we do not have the personal or resources too answer questions on each and every car site web form that we happen to make parts for.

Thanks,

Comptech Tech Dept.

916-939-9118 ext.113
Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I really do wish he would have ellaborated on the supposed misinformation....I dont see any misinformation...if anything...he just added credibility to several statements? How are people leading people wrong or misinforming people about the issue? And I am hoping to all hell that you retyped his post and didnt copy and paste it from his original email....I mis-spell a lot too on occasion without the aid of spellchecker!

Hi BklynPanMan,

I am sorry there is so much misinformation posted on your site. I hope other people/company’s out there make supercharger or turbo kits for the TL in the end the TL customer will have more choices. There is not anything wrong with the 04-06 TL Supercharger kit. The kit works great, makes great HP and TQ. Everyone that has driven a TL with a supercharger loves it. Yes, in the two years of development the kit have taken to produce we have made great advancements (from belts breaking to not making any power). Are there some small compromises in get 60 more 50 state legal horsepower? Yes, one of them is a very small surging at very low RPM but I still think most of the people that buy or own the supercharger think this is a very small price to pay. But in most part the TL kit one of our best, most complete, most developed kits we have ever offered. As for the surge problem we are aware of the issue and we do not have a fix for it. We do have some things we would like to try to help reduce or eliminate it. But that requires things like ECU reflashing or clutch type blower pulleys, or ?. All of which have never been done before by Comptech and will require a lot of development/testing. I think we have been very accessible by email and phone. Sorry, we do not have the personal or resources too answer questions on each and every car site web form that we happen to make parts for.

Thanks,

Comptech Tech Dept.

916-939-9118 ext.113
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thanks.....I would be very interested in their response and speed of it. But...in the future....you might think about posting the "lets see if we can get comptech to respond now that somebody else takes interest and everybody is now talking about all their unresolved issues and their lack of response to it" in a different thread....as this is to promote the RIPP unit...not the other one. Not to mention this is a viable sponsor for our cause....

Comment on the CT unit...whatever...but promotion of their cause should really be done somewhere more appropriate in one of the million threads already going. (not slamming you buddy....we've both been working on this for quite some time now...just dont want to promote a competitor of RIPP here....I want to stress that it is not meant in derrogatory manner whatsoever against you...we are all good and have been working together!)
BTW....I think you missed my point. The CT response belongs in the CT thread....or maybe you think it would be better that we all start paying around here for membership instead of being sponsored? Ripp is possibly going to be a sponsor here man....CT isnt taking the initiative there...think about it. I guess until Ripp comes out with something formally for the TL...they are gonna get this type of stuff though and probably should expect it. But one could easily get run off around here and not even mess with it....development or sponsorship.

Again...back to the RIPP unit....waiting on good things RIPP!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro

any new developments RIPP?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuracy
Old 01-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
PPLAPW can u please fill me in....
Old 01-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Not you, I'm just agreeing to your statement.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Not you, I'm just agreeing to your statement.
lol....sorry man..thought there was something i didnt know...sorry again
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro

just tryin to keep the thread aliveee....
Old 01-30-2006, 04:10 AM

I wonder if RIPP has started anything yet!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

no,

Ripp is trying to get a customers car to use. but heres the thing. they want to use there car to no expense to them. They want to take there car for say 2 months and then still make the customer pay for the kit and basically just get a free install. to me thats not worth it and Im not going to do that.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Racer

they were going to make you pay full retail for the kit even after giving up your car to them for r&d? That is lame. However I'd think about it if in the end they offered it to me at less than cost depending on what the kit will retail for.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chusteveb
they were going to make you pay full retail for the kit even after giving up your car to them for r&d? That is lame. However I'd think about it if in the end they offered it to me at less than cost depending on what the kit will retail for.

Thay want me to pay 3k for the charger and then give me no compensation for not having my car for 2 months give or take.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Instructor

that sucks....if they gonna have your car for 2 months they can at least give you the kit for almost free or at least cost
Old 01-30-2006, 12:52 PM

It looks like I might be going with comptech, since the ball isn't rolling on this yet. I think I am going to give it another month and if they havent started anything, I will go with comptech. I was thinking about blkpanman's supercharger, but he said he is having problems with the fuel pressure reg. I wonder if this is the jerking issue everyone else is having.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blktl1
Thay want me to pay 3k for the charger and then give me no compensation for not having my car for 2 months give or take.
from past experiences they do exactly what their name says RIP off customers.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Acuracy
Yes, we have secured a test vehicle and we have already started logging the electronics, wiring schematics are in hand. So essentially we are already doing R&D on that side, no word yet on the pros and cons

Originally Posted by blktl1
no,

Ripp is trying to get a customers car to use. but heres the thing. they want to use there car to no expense to them. They want to take there car for say 2 months and then still make the customer pay for the kit and basically just get a free install. to me thats not worth it and Im not going to do that.
Originally Posted by chusteveb
That’s not exactly how the program works, but that’s neither here or there, we have a car to work with and look forward to getting much more data. The preliminary testing should start next week on the Black Box side, once we have determined that there is proper control of the ECU with our electronics we will move forward with the proto type shaft and blower.

More on this soon.

RIPPMODS

Quick Reply: supercharger by RIPP Modifications